Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How to make Grimgor awsome!

GreyKnightDantesGreyKnightDantes Posts: 208Registered Users
edited June 4 in General Discussion

So heres the thing. Grimgor is lackluster. He is a footlord that, although he has amazing offensive dmg, he lacks greatly in survivalibity. He only has 45 MD and 75 LD. Which would mean, he gets THUMPED by any decent Melee Lord, especially if hes on a mount. His item, Gitsnik, does very little in the overall combat as it is a cooldown item.

My solution? Add a unique ability called "Da Best"

"Da Best"
  • Type: Augment
  • Duration: Constant
  • Target: Self
  • Active: In Melee
  • Effect: +35 MD, +15 Melee Attack, Unbreakable, Perfect Vigor,
So what does this effect meant to be? Basically, in the Lore, Grimgor is the very definition of a brawler. He gets stuck in the thickest of fighting and continues to not only dish out dmg but take him too. Often, it is stated in the lore that he would continue fighting even after all of his forces have been routed like his battle against the stronghold of Hellpit or his duel with Crom the Conqueror and his Kurgan hordes.

This basically remedies Grimgor as the ultimate melee brawler. He is the STRONGEST when he is in constant melee combat. However, the moment he gets out of melee he reverts back to his basic statline. What does this entail? You WANT Grimgor to be stuck in the hardest of fighting. He is the ANCHOR of your army, an unbreakable wall of death. However, the moment he is out of combat and your army is routed, he would likewise rout as well, being close to the lore when he fought at the Battle of High Pass, where he was the last orc still fighting and he was forced to retreat. As the enemy, you want to snipe down Grimgor or stay your distance away from him. This makes him susceptible to cycle-charges and long-range attacks.

He is the very definition of a BRAWLER. He dosen't need to be the killiest lord (Like Tyrion) or the most durable (Like Sigvald). He is a balance of the two, the unbreakable and high melee dmg making him an awsome frontline brawler that could hold the weak and frangile line of a Greenskin army.

COUNTER-OFFER: If the augment is too powerful for a melee lord, I'd also suggest to add rampage to Grimgor after a certain amount of time had passed or when he reached a certain HP %, making him an unstoppable but uncontrollable killing machine, as per the lore.

What yall think
==========================================================================================
When you are trying hard not to burn people but you smell heresy in the air...

Comments

• Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,702Registered Users
    He should have Perfect Vigor by default. Frankly, all footlords with no mount options should have that by default.
  • BoombastekBoombastek Posts: 2,026Registered Users
    So you want for him 90 MA, 80 MD and perfect vigor.

Lol super nice joke i ever see.
  • Lord_DistamorfinLord_Distamorfin Posts: 466Registered Users
    The more I see the issue of foot lords raised the more convinced I am that CA needs to bring back unit captains to Total War and give the option of inserting lords and heroes into units. Even that absurd buff you've suggested for Grimgor still wouldn't remedy the fact that he's a foot lord and he's likely to get bowled over by anyone on a horse, all it would do is ensure that he becomes king of the foot-sloggers.

Inserting lords and heroes was an important part of Warhammer Fantasy Battle and is sorely missing from Total War. In tabletop, adding lords and heroes allowed to to both give buffs to the unit and help protect the lord/hero. Grimgor in particular was required to be a part of a retinue of Black Orcs and (a) made them harder to kill through a ward save, and (b) gave them Hatred vs everyone (let them re-roll missed attacks against the hated enemy, essentially a melee attack buff in Total War).

Some popular strategies involving embedding heroes and lords include:

A Slann with Temple Guard, giving the Temple Guard Stubborn and Immune to Psychology, and protecting the Slann with Look Out Sir!.
    A Wight King with Grave Guard (with Banner of Barrows) just makes the unit stronger

Adding unit captains and the ability to replace the captain with a lord or hero would (a) help fix the problem currently facing foot lords, (b) make it an actual strategic choice as to whether you want your lord on a mount or to march in with a unit on foot, and (c) implement one of many important part of the tabletop that are missing from Total War. It would make Total War: Warhammer a better Warhammer game, a better Total War game, and a better game overall.
  • misunderstoodvampiremisunderstoodvampire Posts: 747Registered Users
    I wish he was OP
  • karge068karge068 Senior Member Posts: 1,230Registered Users
    Foot lords need to have an ability to stop them being thrown around like a ragdoll by large enemies, before they can even land hits

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,844Registered Users
    edited June 4
    In the lore every major character is a melee beast. Grimgor's actually quite fairly represented if we look at his TT stats.

They just need to fix foot lords.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • sieahsieah Posts: 507Registered Users
    One of the big mods for TW WH has a "Juggernaut" for certain units, if i remember correctly it makes them either immune or extremely resistant to knockback, Gorebull and Grimgor could use that, the other side of that is they wont be able to just get LionelMessified out of melee combat by large charging units, which helps avoid some of the damage other big mass units usually take.
  • TotalBorehammerTotalBorehammer Posts: 871Registered Users
    edited June 4
    sieah said:

One of the big mods for TW WH has a "Juggernaut" for certain units, if i remember correctly it makes them either immune or extremely resistant to knockback, Gorebull and Grimgor could use that, the other side of that is they wont be able to just get LionelMessified out of melee combat by large charging units, which helps avoid some of the damage other big mass units usually take.

Completely agree with this, Grimgor and units like him should have it to be fairly represented. Grimgfor in lore is absolutely huge and near-unstoppable and to see him get thrown about by mounted lords is tragic. I really hope he re-work does him justice.

Post edited by BillyRuffian on
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)
  • UagrimUagrim Posts: 696Registered Users
    edited June 4
    All most footlords need is not getting thrown around in melee with big monsters.

Anything else would have to come with a substantial change in cost.

Edit:
    Grimgor is powerful but he isn't the strongest person in the lore their are quiet a few even in game ones that have him beat in that regard. He is not in a bad spot stattwise.
  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
    I don't see the point of a buff affecting MD/MA being activated in "melee", when else are those stats supposed to apply anyway ?

As for the rest, is that an issue of MP only or in campaign too. When playing him in campaign, it's up to the player to know where Grimgor is useful and when he isn't. Granted greenskins may lack traditionnal anti large/monster killers so I used giants and araknorok myself for this. For the rest Grimgor is the embodiment of the foot lord you can park and let him kill regiments of infantry on his own without losing much health, it's quite fitting.

I'd be cautious around the counter of stuff proposed for fixing his problems, though. If he becomes an unbreakable, unwearable, unpushable machine, then the only tactic that would make sense for handling him would be shooting at the boss till he croaks, a rather undignified end. (which I used many times with my dawi campaigns)
  • Theo91Theo91 Posts: 998Registered Users
    Grimgor should get various perks the longer he’s in melee. His MD should go up, get physical resistance and vigour bonuses but have a friendly unit debuff aoe

Eg 30 secs is +5 md, +5 phy res, -3 leadership 40m radius

60 secs is +10md, +10 phy res, -6 leadership

90 secs is +15md , 15 phy res, un breakable and -9 friendly leadership 40m radius

• sandercohensandercohen Posts: 171Registered Users
    I want:

1. Resistance/immunity to knockback for footlords. Perhaps it can be percentage based or time based. For instance, a footlord can only get pinballed once every few minutes or so.
    2. A contingent of bodyguards for lords. Grimgor should have access to his unique set of bodyguards known as the immortulz. Most if not all other footlords should get the same treatment as long as it's lore-friendly. Bodyguards should be an 'extra' much like a mount and should see a realistic increase in price/upkeep (both for MP and SP).
    3. For Grimgor I like to see something like the Black Coach, where you unlock certain buffs based on the amount of time spent in melee. Giving him perfect vigour, unbreakable as well as all the other stat buffs immediately is a little bit too much. Grimgor should have to work for that.
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Posts: 1,923Registered Users

He should have Perfect Vigor by default. Frankly, all footlords with no mount options should have that by default.

No they absolutely shouldn't.... Perfect Vigour needs a distinct loreful reason to be given to a character, such as Grimgor. Grimgor has beaten the entire Skaven army of Hell Pit on his own, and basically only left when he got bored, not tired. That is a feat that can easily translate to Perfect Vigour. Being a pathetic Skink on foot, does NOT give them any reason to have perfect vigour..
  • AwesomeLionAwesomeLion Member Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    I like it, but would also like for him to get the large size, have his model increased in size as well and have his mass upped.
    Total War: Warhammer <3
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,844Registered Users

So you want for him 90 MA, 80 MD and perfect vigor.

Lol super nice joke i ever see.

And ironically that'd make him more useless than ever. He'd be so expensive and slow at killing that the rest of the Orc army would get destroyed by the enemy army ease leaving Grimgor alone to slowly die to a melee ganking, be magicked to death, be shot to pieces, or all the above.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Posts: 828Registered Users
    The problem with making footlords anchored to the ground and unpushable is that it makes no sense when a mammoth or a sphinx or a shaggoth or a giant or a leviathan crab or something else of that size just stumbles into said footlord and then crashes to a halt, and the footlord barely flinches.

Yes, Grimgor is big. For an orc. He's not big for an ogre, in fact he's quite lovingly dimminutive by their standards. And giants pick up Grimgor-sized parcels like they're a snack, which, frankly, they generally are.

Grimgor is almost certainly outmassed and outweighed by a knight in full plate riding on a barded warhorse. Put speed on said horse and if the tackle lands then Grimgor will go to ground like a sack of potatoes, because he's just not big enough to simply shrug off that impact the same way the super-massives would. And that's how it should be.

Footlords suck in MP, but some lords have to suck when there's so many in the mix. Some adjustment is in order and sure, Grimgor isn't quite as scary as he maybe should be, but then that's true for almost everybody, since there are so many scary entities around that it affects the baseline quite a lot. In SP, the problem is much less as supported footlords can deal out plenty of damage in grindy infantry fights.
  • TotalBorehammerTotalBorehammer Posts: 871Registered Users

I want:

2. A contingent of bodyguards for lords. Grimgor should have access to his unique set of bodyguards known as the immortulz. Most if not all other footlords should get the same treatment as long as it's lore-friendly. Bodyguards should be an 'extra' much like a mount and should see a realistic increase in price/upkeep (both for MP and SP).

So you mean access to recruit the ROR in his army at the start of the game?
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)
  • TimpeyoTimpeyo Posts: 1,085Registered Users
    edited June 4
    sieah said:

Do you think a modder could and would create this for lords, I would love to see this happen it would fix any issue with not being mounted. I think I'd prefer them to be extremely resistant to knockback tho rather than immune

The problem with making footlords anchored to the ground and unpushable is that it makes no sense when a mammoth or a sphinx or a shaggoth or a giant or a leviathan crab or something else of that size just stumbles into said footlord and then crashes to a halt, and the footlord barely flinches.

Yes, Grimgor is big. For an orc. He's not big for an ogre, in fact he's quite lovingly dimminutive by their standards. And giants pick up Grimgor-sized parcels like they're a snack, which, frankly, they generally are.

Grimgor is almost certainly outmassed and outweighed by a knight in full plate riding on a barded warhorse. Put speed on said horse and if the tackle lands then Grimgor will go to ground like a sack of potatoes, because he's just not big enough to simply shrug off that impact the same way the super-massives would. And that's how it should be.

Footlords suck in MP, but some lords have to suck when there's so many in the mix. Some adjustment is in order and sure, Grimgor isn't quite as scary as he maybe should be, but then that's true for almost everybody, since there are so many scary entities around that it affects the baseline quite a lot. In SP, the problem is much less as supported footlords can deal out plenty of damage in grindy infantry fights.

Acctualy they should, charging a monster into an Anti Large lord like for example Ungrim should be dangerous and not a zero risk move like it is at the moment.

The Problem is melee footlords are limited in what they can do, namely fight what chooses to fight them. A mage can effect a wide area with spells not even getting into mounted characters which can choose engagement and utterly ruin a footlord with a bit of cycle charging. In a slug fest footlords take ages to get their value back and as soon as a monster goes in you can forget about them.

It should not effect all character but melee foot characters should be hard to play bounce ball with.
    This goes doubly so for characters which can't take mounts to solve that problem.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,885Registered Users
    Grimgor has the same issue as all melee foot lords.

Bowled around. About time the LL foot melee lords had 10 minute immuntiy after being bowled around once.
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 3,046Registered Users
    My personal preference is just for foot lords (and to be specific, that's melee lords with no mounts and who aren't monstrous units themselves) to get bodyguards, with better quality of bodyguards unlocking at the same rate as better mounts. So, as an example, say Grimgor first unlocks a bodyguard of Boys, then Big 'Uns, and then finally Black Orcs. In MP terms you could purchase each of these at increasing cost.

This has a lot of benefits. One, your lord gets added value, as they basically allow you to field an additional unit outright. Two, enemy cav/monster charges can still disrupt the lord but they have to get to him; his bodyguard's models may absorb most of the impact. Three, this also helps out with attempts to focus-fire foot lords, as his bodyguard will act as living shields.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,702Registered Users

No they absolutely shouldn't.... Perfect Vigour needs a distinct loreful reason to be given to a character, such as Grimgor. Grimgor has beaten the entire Skaven army of Hell Pit on his own, and basically only left when he got bored, not tired. That is a feat that can easily translate to Perfect Vigour. Being a pathetic Skink on foot, does NOT give them any reason to have perfect vigour..
    Skinks have mount options.

Read my comment again.
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Posts: 828Registered Users
    Uagrim said:

Acctualy they should, charging a monster into an Anti Large lord like for example Ungrim should be dangerous and not a zero risk move like it is at the moment.

The Problem is melee footlords are limited in what they can do, namely fight what chooses to fight them. A mage can effect a wide area with spells not even getting into mounted characters which can choose engagement and utterly ruin a footlord with a bit of cycle charging. In a slug fest footlords take ages to get their value back and as soon as a monster goes in you can forget about them.

It should not effect all character but melee foot characters should be hard to play bounce ball with.
    This goes doubly so for characters which can't take mounts to solve that problem.
    You sound like you're commenting from an MP perspective. And yes, from an MP perspective, footlords suck and are trivially countered with super-large single entities. I don't think there's any fix for that without making footlords broken. They just don't have the mobility that mounted lords do and they do not have the area of impact that spellcasters do. Making them harder to ragdoll is reasonable, since you can argue that some of these epic characters have extreme skill and speed and might therefore dodge impacts somewhat, but anti large does not mean immune to physics.

Regarding Ungrim, yes, it should be dangerous to charge him, but if he gets shoulder barged by a sphinx then he absolutely should be sent flying. If a giant plays a game of golf then he's even flying into next week. If something like a regular horseman nudges him then he shouldn't get ragdolled but even a dwarf can't just shake it off if well over half a ton of flesh and metal makes a full speed running tackle. Anti Large does not mean immune to physics.

• MTechMTech Posts: 406Registered Users
    edited June 4
    At this point i would be happy with a animation of a horse crashing into the ground right after it tried to charge into the big axes of Grimgor/Ungrim anyone with charge def and lost most of its Legs because of that.
    I mean we aren`t talking about slow normal fighters every top fighter of the warhammer universe has exceptional reactions and should atleast be able to dodge a horse.

I'am obviously exaggerating a little because having a animation that has your lord stumbling after each charge without dealing dmg in return just because he gets thrown off his horse would not really be very fair.
    Even if he is immune to dmg while flying down (exception beeing impact dmg when he lands on the ground) and getting back up on his horse.

Similarities with how footlords are beeing treated right now are not made on purpose. ;)

Uagrim said:

You sound like you're commenting from an MP perspective. And yes, from an MP perspective, footlords suck and are trivially countered with super-large single entities. I don't think there's any fix for that without making footlords broken. They just don't have the mobility that mounted lords do and they do not have the area of impact that spellcasters do. Making them harder to ragdoll is reasonable, since you can argue that some of these epic characters have extreme skill and speed and might therefore dodge impacts somewhat, but anti large does not mean immune to physics.

Regarding Ungrim, yes, it should be dangerous to charge him, but if he gets shoulder barged by a sphinx then he absolutely should be sent flying. If a giant plays a game of golf then he's even flying into next week. If something like a regular horseman nudges him then he shouldn't get ragdolled but even a dwarf can't just shake it off if well over half a ton of flesh and metal makes a full speed running tackle. Anti Large does not mean immune to physics.

How is making melee footlord resistance to charges broken?

And no these character should be able to stop charges since it wouldn't only allow them to fight back but also support the infantry around them better by preventing big monster from just moving threw them. Making them an anchor for the rest of your infantry wouldn't only make sense but it would actually make them useful.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Posts: 1,442Registered Users
    Grimgor's problems are mostly general non-caster footlord problems. They get ping-ponged around by large entities, eat cycle-charges to face all day, unable to pick engagements, have no real utility besides fighting which they cannot fully utilize due to knockdown and speed issues, but also further crippled by abnormally low MD. Foot Lords like Grimgor, Ungrim, Grombrindal etc. have oddly low MD's despite having high TT stats while some mounted lords like Tyrion and Archaon have (rightfully) 60+ MD on top of AP, spells, heals etc. Looks like a long standing design and implementation issue to me.

There is also a reason that every new lord comes mounted.

Uagrim said:

You are forgetting mounted lords are immune to physics though. A Princess on a beautiful pony doesn't even budge if she gets shoulder barged by a Warsphinx, while an antilarge footlord can repeatedly get rolled around like a golfball and hug the dirt.

So there should be no double standards, otherwise you have a point.
  • FloppingerFloppinger Posts: 332Registered Users

A giant would also send a horse flying or knock over a chariot with ease, yet it doesn´t. The problem isn´t that foot lords gives way to bigger, heavier things. The problem arises when they basically get CC locked.
  • Lord_DistamorfinLord_Distamorfin Posts: 466Registered Users
    I still maintain that the ability to embed lord and heroes into units like in tabletop would remedy this problem well while also making the game more interesting.
  • Brianfowler713Brianfowler713 Posts: 64Registered Users
    edited June 5

I still maintain that the ability to embed lord and heroes into units like in tabletop would remedy this problem well while also making the game more interesting.

Yeah but it's a slippery slope, Your Lordship. We start imbedding Characters into units, next thing you know we'll have standard bearers and musicians, maybe even "Battle Standard Bearers." What next, challenging other characters to duel? Difficult or dangerous terrain? Next thing you know we'll have actual Warhammer content in our Total War: Warhammer game, IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT, YOU MANIAC?

/S
    Post edited by Brianfowler713 on
    I suppose I should just be grateful for the views...
  • BRiiTASH2BRiiTASH2 Posts: 383Registered Users
    All footlords should be given an active ability called "Brace" which should have the following stats.
    . 15 second duration
    . 30 second cooldown
    . Charge Defence Vs All
    . Expert charge Defence
    . Immune to knockdown

This would mean that if timed correctly, a foot lord could negate the impact of a large units charge and all charge damage, and give them a chance to engage as soon as the enemy large unit makes contact.

The 15 second duration ensures they are immune to an immediate follow up cycle charge, and provides enough time to allow you to send in a unit to support them, or have the lord retreat.

The 30 second cooldown should counterbalance giving the Lord a buff that would allow them to resist charges too frequently, and still leave them vulnerable for short windows.

If you wanted to go one further, you could give foot Lords an additional ability which I have been thinking about called "Beastslayer" which should have the following stats:
    . 15 second duration
    . 45 second cooldown
    . +8 bonus vs large
    . Immune to Pyschology

This would make a foot lord a little more capable at repelling larger enemies and especially mounts that typically have Fear or Terror, and would help boost the lord for a short time in the engagement. Foot lords being thrown to the ground suffer a lot of leadership debuffs from terror especially if they cant fight back against cycle charging, so I should think this would provide them with a temporary protection to that.