Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Cao Cao's famous generals, who are they, and how do I get them?

steam_1645136482498jlHpGJsteam_1645136482498jlHpGJ Registered Users Posts: 48
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
Hello all!

Started a new campaign as Cao Cao, really enjoying it so far, managed to wipe out Yuan Shao early after taking Chen province and killing off Liu Dai, Currently wiping out Tao Quan... or however it's spelt, then I plan to take the rest of the north east.

Anyway... I'm getting sidetracked...

So I know Dian Wei is one of Cao Cao's legendary generals in this game, not sure how to get him, i got the guy in a Sun Jian campaign, how do the events trigger for Cao Cao's generals in this?

And is there anyone else I need to keep and eye out for?

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• AxlswhkAxlswhk Registered Users Posts: 216
    Dian Wei only available turn 4 to 11, trigger chance probably 10% from what I’ve read.

Xu Zhu turn 30 to 50, 10% chance.

Xu Shu turn 70+, I have not played Cao Cao yet but from what I know he is 100% trigger to leave when I play Liu Bei, and join Cao Cao after that.

Sina yi turn 90 to 100.

This is only the turn window, Triggering is vague as well as how many sets of prerequisite requirement you need to actually trigger it.

• steam_1645136482498jlHpGJsteam_1645136482498jlHpGJ Registered Users Posts: 48
    ****... so I've missed Dian Wei??
    No!!!

We really need some clarity on this triggers from CA.
    edited June 2019

****... so I've missed Dian Wei??
    No!!!

We really need some clarity on this triggers from CA.

Yes indeed., the requisite is very narrow, even after satisfying the needed requisite you still face the low random rate, add a turn frame into the equation and it’s very difficult to trigger. Not to mention the trigger will stop when you have other high priority event going on in the same turn.

I can understand if they set certain rare item this way, but doing this to characteris just plain silly.

Imagine playing lord of the ring without Aragon. X men without wolverine or marvel without iron man. Who would purchase such a game with only 10% chance of acquiring these characters.

The trigger system needs a complete overhaul.

• Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 3,707
    Who are they? I'd like to say "google it" but since CA didn't even bother to include many of them in the game with unique models, I will tell you the ones who have unique models, they are - Dian Wei, Xu Chu, Xu Huang, Yue Jin and Sima Yi. How do you get them? By chance, yes, by chance, that's the way CA made it, its sucks yes but unless CA changes this that's the way it goes in the game right now...

Also Liu Bei can keep Xu Shu, and he will not join Cao Cao if Liu Bei keeps him.

Who are they? I'd like to say "google it" but since CA didn't even bother to include many of them in the game with unique models, I will tell you the ones who have unique models, they are - Dian Wei, Xu Chu, Xu Huang, Yue Jin and Sima Yi. How do you get them? By chance, yes, by chance, that's the way CA made it, its sucks yes but unless CA changes this that's the way it goes in the game right now...

Also Liu Bei can keep Xu Shu, and he will not join Cao Cao if Liu Bei keeps him.

Still able to trigger Zhuge Liang event if you force keep Xu Shu?
  • SivenSiven Registered Users Posts: 140
    edited June 2019
    I got Xu Chu on turn 36. Apparently the event only triggers between turn 30 and 50.

I had just attacked and occupied Guangling trade port and straight away the event popped up to recruit him.

So it seems to be a random chance after either winning a battle or capturing a settlement, dunno which.

I saw Xu Huang leading a Han army right at the start, but he always gets beat by to Yuan Shu, then although hes still alive i never see him again.
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 3,707
    Axlswhk said:

Still able to trigger Zhuge Liang event if you force keep Xu Shu?

Yeah, I got both Zhuge Troll and Pang Tong while keeping Xu Shu.

• articulatearticulate Registered Users Posts: 2
    The triggers are awfully vague and need better clarification imo. I didn't even know you could get Dian Wei and Xu Chu until my 5th or 6th time playing as Cao Cao. On records mode too.. so no chance of seeing some epic duels -_-

I never got them on my romance mode games, and the one time I decide to try records. Out they pop, along with recruiting Taishi Chi after taking Luijiang.
  • ZhaoYunZhaoYun Registered Users Posts: 16
    Zhang Liao - Capture from Dong Zhou’s forces, he is usually with Lu Bu.

Xu Huang - Leads Han army near Yuan Shu

Yue Jin - I only know destroying the Han will get him in the recruitment pool, same with Xu Huang. But may end up with other factions

Guo Jia - Recruit in court early on
    Yu Jin - Recruit in court early on
    Zhang He - Is with Han Fu
    Jia Xu - With Dong Zhou
    Xun You - Leads a Han army just south of starting position
    Xun Yu - Might get captured by Zheng Jiang, if not probably dead
  • baidaoningbaidaoning Registered Users Posts: 4
    I somehow ended up with Sima Yi working for my Sun Jian by Autumn 208 (forget which turn).
  • JerroserJerroser Registered Users Posts: 793

I somehow ended up with Sima Yi working for my Sun Jian by Autumn 208 (forget which turn).

That seems to happen quite a lot from what I've heard. He has a lot of traits that make him very hard to keep happy so although I think his chances of spawning in Cao Cao's faction are practically certain, Simia Yi will often leave very quickly.