Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Cathay vs nippon

alecwinteralecwinter Registered Users Posts: 33
All out war who wins

Comments

• hendo1592hendo1592 Registered Users Posts: 1,831
  • hendo1592hendo1592 Registered Users Posts: 1,831
    Premise my answer to post with this: I know very little of the two but...

Cathy has more firepower and I think is the bigger empire. Though nippon has better Mele combat. Going off that I’d say Cathy because of sheer numbers and their fire power.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,130
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 3,037
    It's probably comparable to asking Empire vs Estalia who wins. Empire obviously. Thus Cathay obviously.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
    "Draconic murder ferret attack dog." - Ben1990 describing Shard Dragons.
  • Federykx99Federykx99 Registered Users Posts: 562
    Cathay is the strongest human kingdom of the whole warhammer world, one on one they would beat all the others including the Empire.

Besides, Nippon is at most as strong as Tilea without the colonies and the worldwide influence, so pretty weak.
  • RomeoRejectRomeoReject Registered Users Posts: 1,518
    Cathay for days. They're:
    • Bigger.
    • Have Vampires.
    • Have Tzeench cultists.
    • Have a giant wall.
    • Have monstrous creations.
    • Have better tech.
  • SchwarzhelmSchwarzhelm Registered Users Posts: 1,410

Cathay is the strongest human kingdom of the whole warhammer world, one on one they would beat all the others including the Empire.

Besides, Nippon is at most as strong as Tilea without the colonies and the worldwide influence, so pretty weak.

Do you have proof for this claim?
    I am pretty sure the strongest human factions are Empire and Bretonia.

I can't help but think that you are a HERETIC!
    edited June 2019

well I know the Empire Armybook call the Empire the "mightiest human Realm in the Old world"
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • SchwarzhelmSchwarzhelm Registered Users Posts: 1,410
    SiWI said:

well I know the Empire Armybook call the Empire the "nighties human Realm in the Old world"
    nighties :D

This also makes you a heretic!

I shall report to the nearest witch hunter for purification then lol

No but seriously, I think it's stated somewhere in the lore they are the strongest, makes sense since they are the biggest, most likely the most populous and also pretty isolated from external threats.

They have inferior gunpowder than the Empire but they make up for it with monstrous infantry and numbers. Also, they have dragons. Maybe even stronger magic but I ain't too sure about that.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 2,652
    If they are anything like historical China and Japan on which they are *very obviously* based, then Cathay would absolutely curb-stomp Nippon.

This isn't a case of brilliant commanders or powerful monsters - it's a case of the population difference being in the 7:1 ratio.

However, Nippon does have one major advantage: in a defensive war, Cathay would have to invade an island, which is always tricky (see British history after 1066, or the Mongol invasions of Japan).
  • SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Registered Users Posts: 539

If they are anything like historical China and Japan on which they are *very obviously* based, then Cathay would absolutely curb-stomp Nippon.

This isn't a case of brilliant commanders or powerful monsters - it's a case of the population difference being in the 7:1 ratio.

However, Nippon does have one major advantage: in a defensive war, Cathay would have to invade an island, which is always tricky (see British history after 1066, or the Mongol invasions of Japan).

And yet Japan curb-stomped China in real life sooooooo.....I disagree with this argument. Larger population size does not by any means make you a superior fighting force.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,215
    This thread is just bait.

Take off and nuke the site from orbit, IMO, mods.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,489
    edited June 2019
    Hey I found this long lost Warhammer history book about how a war between Cathay and Nippon went down: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasions_of_Korea_(1592–1598)

And yet Japan curb-stomped China in real life sooooooo.....I disagree with this argument. Larger population size does not by any means make you a superior fighting force.
    Japan invaded a divided and technologically inferior state with WW1 tech. When Hideyoshi with Shogunate era armies(the types of armies Nippon uses) tried to invade Asia with his dream of going all the way to India he was stopped in his tracks at Korea(as seen in my cheeky comment). And IIRC Nippon seems to still be in it's feudal state and not actually united. A united Imperial china>Feudal Japan frankly.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 21,829
    In terms of viability? Cathay drops a Hellbow on Nippon.
    Thanks CA for working with Epic Games to give us Troy for free!

Larger population size coupled with comparable level of tech and training does in fact by any means make you a superior fighting force. And that's exactly what you're looking at here.

It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to compare Cathay vs Nippon to 20th century Japan vs China. It would make sense if it was Ming China vs Shogunate Japan.
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 2,808
    SiWI said:

well I know the Empire Armybook call the Empire the "mightiest human Realm in the Old world"
    Well, Cathay is not techically in the old world, so this does not prove anything. At least to my knowledge, the old world is only "europe" of the warhammer world, any lands east of the worlds edge mountains are not considered the old world to my knowledge

SiWI said:

Well, Cathay is not techically in the old world, so this does not prove anything. At least to my knowledge, the old world is only "europe" of the warhammer world, any lands east of the worlds edge mountains are not considered the old world to my knowledge
    I'm well aware of the meaning behind the old world and that was why I told it Schwarzhelm because he skipped the "old world" part.

Mind you that I don't remember seeing anything to support the claim that cathay would be the mightiest kingdom of humans.

For all we know, Cathay could be in a vicious 3K style civl war.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892

SiWI said:

Doode that's his point. He's saying the Empire armybook states they are the strongest human realm in the old world, therefore the rest of the world might have stronger human realms.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 20,531
    edited June 2019
    Let's all avoid any analogies that contain actual historical or political events.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
  • akahdrinakahdrin Registered Users Posts: 9
    Neither. Norse Dwarfs and Kislev are the defense against chaos from the north and are in that region. It would make more sense to include them. Kislev probably in base and Norse Dwarfs as DLC.
  • LoffenmeisterLoffenmeister Registered Users Posts: 88
    edited June 2019
    Really dont care for any of them. There are abaout 10 other races i would see in game before any of the 2: Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarfs, Kieslev, A full Chaos Roster, Amazonians, DOW heck even Albion and Araby.
  • baronblackbaronblack Registered Users Posts: 3,218
    The only things that keep Nippon safe from Cathayan ambitions is their Dragon Fleet (which is the greatest human fleet)

Actually if you go Oldhammer Nippon got rockets that were so op that seeing just one could make the opposing player flip the table (Doomrocket style)
    And that span of lore they had where Cathayans just kick their invasions at every spring seems to imply that Nippon can't win just as Cathay will kick out their raids and invasions, but they certainly can't invade Nippon for their fleet (which is the very reason why Nipponese mercenaries were everywhere)
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 4,075
    Cathay has the superior land forces, and in bulk but Nippon's are not exactly outclassed to the extreme. But as Baron said, you're never going to get to Nippon because they are described as having a navy second to none. Now while each side often embellishes in their descriptions and it might not be better than the DE, or HE it is likely the largest human fleet so Cathayan forces are just never going to set foot on Nippon. So really they're more just going to sit and glare at each other while fighting the odd skirmish now and then.
  • baronblackbaronblack Registered Users Posts: 3,218
    Yeah, you have also to take this from DE armybook

After the discovery of the Black Way, numerous Black Arks went to east, but only half of them returned with slaves and plunder from Nippon and Cathay.
    One was even destroyed by a tsunami off Cathayan shores. The others presumably by Nipponese/Cathayan navies.

Just put this together, where a Black Ark is described as unassaible by Old Worlders, with nothing capable of stopping it.

The eastern nations dealt with DE in a snippet of lore better than Bretonnia and Empire together. Even Remas routed a Black Ark force, and that was close to a miracle.