Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Creative Assembly (CA) is Hiring a Character / Creature Artist

WarfieldWarfield Posts: 161Registered Users
Not sure how long this posting has been up, I noticed it a week or so ago.

Curious if it's for one of the upcoming DLC Lord Packs or WH3.

Here's the link: https://www.creative-assembly.com/careers/view/character-creature-artist/oZ719fw0

We are looking for a talented character /creature artist to work on the ‘Total War: Warhammer’ franchise.

The right candidate should be able to demonstrate excellent creative, technical and visual skill. You will be an accomplished artist with a passion for creating believable characters/creatures with the ability to produce stunning, high quality and efficient game content.

Key Responsibilities

You will work closely with the current team to create both characters and creatures; utilising the entire character creation pipeline, implementing characters into the current game engine and using the existing shader system to ensure they are displayed correctly in game.

You will also work with members external to the character team, such as the animation/technical animation team to create solid placeholder meshes that work within any rig restrictions as well as the technical art team, providing workflow improvement suggestions to improve productivity.

Finally, you will also deal with general housekeeping (bugs, file structure clean up, etc) and potentially providing support to other teams within the company should they need it.

Knowledge, Skill and Experience

Essential

All applicants should have an up to date portfolio that showcases a complete game ready character workflow (From sculpt to final textured asset). This should include texture sheets and wireframes of your assets
Strong organic sculpting ability
Strong hard surface modelling ability
Understanding of the PBR texturing workflow
Experience of one full game development cycle
A good knowledge of human anatomy
Strong knowledge of industry standard tools, such as Max/Maya, Photoshop and Zbrush.
A team player, able to take advice and feedback from their colleagues in a respectable manner

Desirable

Interest and experience with the Total War franchise

Warfield Undermountain
Dwarf Lord of Mount Glander
Stone and Steel Regiment

Comments

• StephinceStephince Posts: 2,423Registered Users
    I can match the desirable attribute, hire me plx!
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,680Registered Users
    Nice.

Always good to see investments going into my favorite game.
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,220Registered Users
    maybe I'm a bti negative on this one, but does this mean anything?

I mean someone in CA could have been changing jobs and CA wants to replace that person.

sure it calls "liar" to people claiming "TW Warhammer is forgotten,bla bla bla" but those weren't necessary the most creditable claims.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,406Registered Users
    This means nothing. Could be an addition, could be a replacement.

I just hope they're equal to the excellent work that's come out of that team. CA fixing se of GW's models has been one of the brightest highlights of TWW.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • hendo1592hendo1592 Posts: 1,563Registered Users
    edited June 8
    Some one point CA in the direction of the artist that has been making Cathy concept art...they have work already done ;)
  • WarfieldWarfield Posts: 161Registered Users
    I too have been working on concept art.

BEHOLD! The Dawiwheelrocket (or DWR for short). Just make sure you engage the emergency brake before firing.

Warfield Undermountain
    Dwarf Lord of Mount Glander
    Stone and Steel Regiment

• Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 3,037Registered Users
    Warfield said:

BEHOLD! The Dawiwheelrocket (or DWR for short). Just make sure you engage the emergency brake before firing.

Hire this man.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,112Registered Users
    Warfield said:

Early Chaos Dwarf concept art.. nice!
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 1,912Registered Users
    I hope they hire the guy that made a Ghorgon by himself.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    The only thing holding me back from applying for this job is a lack of talent and experience. Hopefully it turns out to be a dream job for someone.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Posts: 933Registered Users
    Artist must fix bugs too, didnt expect this. Even thought they create art for the next gane/dlc when the other fixing bugs.
  • Lord_DistamorfinLord_Distamorfin Posts: 437Registered Users
    _Mad_D0c_ said:

Artist must fix bugs too, didnt expect this. Even thought they create art for the next gane/dlc when the other fixing bugs.

Yeah, that's... odd. Why would character designer be expected to know how to code/fix bugs? He's there to make concept art, model sculpts, and animations, not to clean up CA's code. That's the programmers' job.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,824Registered Users
    edited June 9

_Mad_D0c_ said:

Yeah, that's... odd. Why would character designer be expected to know how to code/fix bugs? He's there to make concept art, model sculpts, and animations, not to clean up CA's code. That's the programmers' job.
    It's not uncommon for artist to know some programming. I've seen many job listings have a requirement for that.

I also know 2 people who worked for about 7 call of duty titles and they had to do some programming. I also know one other person who did a little bit too.

The bugs they fix are art related. Not gameplay related. It's nothing crazy or anything. I've never seen a designer environment but I am fairly certain the programming they use isn't actual code, but it's actually just block code. It's a drag drop style language. I can't remember the name of the software.
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 829Registered Users
    Probably hoping too much, but I hope they're hiring a new guy because they need somebody to make a Dread Saurian :)
  • RomeoRejectRomeoReject Posts: 516Registered Users

Probably hoping too much, but I hope they're hiring a new guy because they need somebody to make a Dread Saurian :)

As much as it would be utterly hilarious, I'm still struggling to see how the Dread Saurian would slot in to the game other than "One unit you use to take on an entire army", which would be hilariously imbalanced.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,406Registered Users

As much as it would be utterly hilarious, I'm still struggling to see how the Dread Saurian would slot in to the game other than "One unit you use to take on an entire army", which would be hilariously imbalanced.
    It's not that powerful. It's like a tier 6 Carnosaur. Definitely has no place in the game. Regardless it doesn't need much work to make, just double the size of the Carnosaur and add some fancy trinkets.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,653Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Moved to Chat.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • AbmongAbmong Posts: 1,013Registered Users

_Mad_D0c_ said:

Well if it's a graphical bug caused by not applying textures or model meshes properly then the artists would need to be the ones to fix it.

Like certain models ingame at the moment don't display properly when you zoom out to the middle distance, they show up as black artifacts. That's something to do with textures or model settings not being done correctly.

CA are expecting the artist to be move hands on by the looks of it. A concept artist, 3D model arstist, texture artist and animator roled into one, Or at least have good working knowledge of all those areas to be able to work with other artists. Computer games artists doesn't need to know how to write binaries like programmers. But they do need to be able to compile files and settings to make things work as intended. Stuff that programmers may not know how to do.
    Being able to draw well alone doesn't qualify someone for the job.
    Total War: Warhammer IV - Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Khuresh (+ Lost Vampire Bloodlines, Monkey kingdom DLC) :#
  • The_RadudeThe_Radude Posts: 151Registered Users
    I hope this artist will help with making the Ghorgons, Doombulls, Preytons, etc. a thing in this game for beastmen.
  • Ingr8Ingr8 Posts: 244Registered Users
    edited June 20
    Warfield said:

Hire Him! Hire Him now!

If this is not the full basis of the Concept Art for TW:WH3, they need a serious rethink.

So much of the current market is saturated with clever and artistic design, this contribution would truly mark CA out... and not in the manner of those self-satisfied, hippy tree-huggers, munching on vegetable tubes in their bread rolls!

Yes, I damn well would!