Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Hardest faction to play as?

tgoodenowtgoodenow Senior MemberPosts: 777Registered Users
edited June 9 in General Discussion
Wrong forum plz delete

Comments

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 9,704Registered Users
    CA community Management Team.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • Arcani_4_EverArcani_4_Ever Junior Member Posts: 1,968Registered Users
    dont delete the post. Every Total War game has a hardest faction to play.
  • Theo91Theo91 Posts: 825Registered Users

dont delete the post. Every Total War game has a hardest faction to play.

Haha good point... let us continue.

SP early game norsca (I struggle so much with economy and having enough units to overpower enemy garrisons)

SP late game GS - lack of elite units, poor leadership, lack of speed and mobility and poor ranged units makes it a struggle. Really struggle to deal with dragons

MP I struggle with dwarves. There’s lots of obvious counters against them like large single entity monsters and chariots and you need to be really on point with the micro to counter those strategies
  • doclumbagodoclumbago Posts: 1,237Registered Users
    Greenskins (specially Skarsnik)
    Beastmen
    Exiles Of Nehek
  • ns2hivesight@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 54Registered Users
    Greenskins because of units. Khatep because of location.
  • Otters007Otters007 Posts: 570Registered Users
    Norsca for me. I can comfortably complete campaigns with all factions on hard difficulty apart from them.

Their economy is horrible, and their setttlements don't have walls. Means you start off incredibly poor and you are only ever one battle away from losing the whole campaign.

I just can't 'get' them. Not my style, not my faction!
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Posts: 1,941Registered Users
    Greenskins:

No elite endgame unit except Black Orcs.

NO shielded endgame unit except Nightgoblin Fanatics.

NO Elite trolls.

No elite Anti Large except the new improved Arachnarok(which probably wont fight near any large troops)

Skarsnik has not even a midtier anti large.

The technologys are so far behind, everyone else buffs their units like crazy in the late game and greenskins units are locked behind technologies and the technologies are locked behind buildings.

this is focused on my skarsnik campaigns, I only played the other greenskins factions once.
  • JadawinKhanidiJadawinKhanidi Posts: 638Registered Users
    I currently play Norsca on Very Hard with all my mods plus some others. And it's really hardcore. Might turn out to be the first campaign I can't win. Mostly because of the mods, I think, but Norsca seem to be already a little harder than other factions in Vanilla. Their lands are so poor and their cities have so few slots, and you always have to operate far from your home lands but also cannot afford to have extra armies that guard your homeland.

And most of my mods make it even harder:
    Unnatural Selection: Buffs a number of AI factions to have about double the number of units, more gold and usually more land
    Global Unit Cap: Need buildings to have more units, which takes a lot of building slots
    Cost-based Army Caps: Theoretically limits elite units in my armies, although in practice I'm way too poor to reach the limit anyway
    Minos' Better Army Recruitment: AI armies have stronger unit composition
    Progressively Harder Campaign: Get income nerfs based on number of regions owned. This hits Norsca very hard very early, because you get many regions very early but they're almost worthless
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 403Registered Users
    In TWW2 Norsca. Trash economy, very weak early game troops, everyone hates you. I played as them and even at turn 200+ I still could afford just 2 armies despite owning their entire continent. Dark Elves attack you from the West and empire always gangs up from the south. It's a nightmare. I completed 5-6 legendary campaigns, but with Norsca I gave up on very hard.
  • mdardismdardis Posts: 28Registered Users
    I'll add a second for Exiles and throw Belegar into the mix as well. That upkeep debuff is horrible if you stutter in trying to immediately retake Eight Peaks.

Used to be Skarsnik for me, but he has been made a little easier on several counts by recent updates. Massif Orcal will almost certainly hire a stack or two of Black Orcs and confederate quite easily. Also Dawi-tide appears to be back, which tends to limit Grimgor to a few settlements. Just send a hero to the Badlands to meet him, save money & buy confederation - recruitment from the Black Crag unique building still isn't blocked (obligatory prepping to take Eight Peaks screenshot).

• Unknown6203Unknown6203 Posts: 512Registered Users
    edited June 9
    mdardis said:

I'll add a second for Exiles and throw Belegar into the mix as well. That upkeep debuff is horrible if you stutter in trying to immediately retake Eight Peaks.

Used to be Skarsnik for me, but he has been made a little easier on several counts by recent updates. Massif Orcal will almost certainly hire a stack or two of Black Orcs and confederate quite easily. Also Dawi-tide appears to be back, which tends to limit Grimgor to a few settlements. Just send a hero to the Badlands to meet him, save money & buy confederation - recruitment from the Black Crag unique building still isn't blocked (obligatory prepping to take Eight Peaks screenshot).

What a disgusting army list....
  • NyumusNyumus Posts: 46Registered Users
    Khatep and Skarsnik because of location. Clan Angrund because of the massive upkeep increase at start. Beastmen in general (they need a rework). WE if you are not prepared to their amber and colonize mechanic.
  • StephinceStephince Posts: 2,372Registered Users
    Anything vs Chaos. I really suck against all their armour, nasty cavalry, armour piercing etc etc.
  • RomeoRejectRomeoReject Posts: 516Registered Users
    Wood Elves (Specifically, those led by Orion).
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 5,371Registered Users
    Before this latest patch definitely Belegar. The amount of enemy armies coming after you on Legendary was just that. Skarsnik, Vampire Counts, von Carsteins, Mutinous Gits, Sartosa, Bloody Handz, Skullsmasherz and even Greenskins eventually if you were unlucky. Has definitely cooled down a lot now though. The Belegar experience now is a breeze by comparison. I’ve never played a harder campaign than Legendary Clan Angrund in the Vampire Coast update. I’d probably go so far as to say that it iwas basically the only one that had any real difficulty to it.

Norsca can be hard to get but once you realiize that if you play it safe, keep a super small campaign map footprint until you are well and truly ready as well as engage Kislev with armies and agents to keep other Norscans on your side it gets a lot easier. When you are ready you just go bash some collective Norscan heads to confederate a fully built up Norsca, restructure all of it to suit your army building and economic needs and then bash Archaon and you’re good to go with lots of now super cheap armies. The trickiest part tends to be annihilating Archaon’s forces as he comes at you with a fair bit of smashing power.
    Lord of the Undermountain
  • Brianfowler713Brianfowler713 Posts: 64Registered Users
    Well in my experience, trying to play the Vortex campaign as the Cult of Pleasure has been pretty flipping hard.
    I suppose I should just be grateful for the views...
    RikRiorik said:

Norsca can be hard to get but once you realiize that if you play it safe, keep a super small campaign map footprint until you are well and truly ready as well as engage Kislev with armies and agents to keep other Norscans on your side it gets a lot easier. When you are ready you just go bash some collective Norscan heads to confederate a fully built up Norsca, restructure all of it to suit your army building and economic needs and then bash Archaon and you’re good to go with lots of now super cheap armies. The trickiest part tends to be annihilating Archaon’s forces as he comes at you with a fair bit of smashing power.

Interesting game plan. I had confederated all of Norsca by turn 23. Maybe not the best move because building it all up is really expensive, for very meager returns.

Still, looks like I may still make it, about to take Couronne and wipe out Bretonnia at turn 68 and after that it should get a bit easier.
  • EldrickEldrick Posts: 383Registered Users
    Sound advice from @RikRiorik . Use the mod that gives Wulfric the shipbuilding ability and you’ll have a whale of a time :smile:

For me the hardest is Skaven, I just can’t get into them and boredom kills them off before turn 50.

Otherwise it is actually the Fay Enchantress because her economy is rubbish until late game.
    As for late game itself, if you make it that far no faction is hardest, but the squishiest one on one army would be GS.
  • DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Posts: 699Registered Users
    edited June 10
    Before I noticed it was for the wrong game, I was gonna say; "Beastmen, you can close the thread." lol. People are talking about norsca, but beastmen have pretty much the same negatives, everyone hates you, no economy, low armor, low morale, and also the vulnerabilities of a horde.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • tgoodenowtgoodenow Senior Member Posts: 777Registered Users
    I wish I could still love warhammer
    After I entered the three kingdoms I cannot return
  • DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Posts: 699Registered Users
    tgoodenow said:

I wish I could still love warhammer
    After I entered the three kingdoms I cannot return

Interesting, makes me wanna give it a try.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson

Before I noticed it was for the wrong game, I was gonna say; "Beastmen, you can close the thread." lol. People are talking about norsca, but beastmen have pretty much the same negatives, everyone hates you, no economy, low armor, low morale, and also the vulnerabilities of a horde.

I didn't play beastmen, but I played a lot of chaos, so I imagine they work quite similarly. If beastmen economy works like chaos', then it's not bad at all. They have extremely low upkeep and huge sacking bonus. Sacking a major settlement can grant you enough cash to survive for 20 turns usually. The biggest issue that hordes have is growth. That's too slow and painful.
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Posts: 688Registered Users

You do have vulnerabilities and it is tough to get started. And the moon phase thing is just frustrating. But minos and cygors will pretty much fix everything, and if you pair lords two and two then the weaker Beastmen roster really isn't that much of a problem.

Once you get to that point, you simply take it easy, slowly move your lord-pairs towards wherever you wish to forage, and hide whenever the heat becomes too much.

It's been a few DLCs since I tried them last, admittedly, but the approach should still work.
  • PatriksevePatrikseve Member Posts: 1,530Registered Users
    I found Norsca troll LL to be tough, and I also think Skarsnik is a difficult campaign even if both are fun... goblin armies are hillarious.

• SteelRoninSteelRonin Junior Member ChilePosts: 584Registered Users

Greenskins because of units. Khatep because of location.

Khatep harder than Kraken Lord?
    @SteelRonin Kraken Lord is very annoying in the first 40-50 turns because of that massive amount of corruption that there's in Lustria, but after that it's ok, they're still Dark Elves. I did a Legendary camp with him before the Prophet and the Warlock. I think Norsca and Wintertooth are much harder.

RikRiorik said:

Interesting game plan. I had confederated all of Norsca by turn 23. Maybe not the best move because building it all up is really expensive, for very meager returns.

Still, looks like I may still make it, about to take Couronne and wipe out Bretonnia at turn 68 and after that it should get a bit easier.
    Yeah definitely better to wait for the others to build it up for you. Previously you could count on Throgg to do the heavy lifting and you just needed to figure out where he was when you were ready and go bash his head but it might be more busy work now to round up the entirety of Norsca if several factions survive longer.

I like to have Wulfrick go around sacking a bit, doing research, getting the sword and doing the Monster Hunts before I start the ”real” campaign. It’s a nice change of pace from the early game empire building of almost everyone else. Like I said what usually matters most for your safekeeping is to keep scoring diplomatic favour with your fellow Norscans by doing stuff againt their enemies. Do that and don’t stray too far from your starting province and you’re pretty safe. It’s a far cry now from the dangers of the Queen and the Crone when Hellebron would bring neverending war to the shores of Norsca.

And also to reiterate, if you didn’t play Belegar on Legendary during the Vampire Coast you don’t know what hard is.

I don’t imagine, in the current update, that there is an truly hard campaign out there.
    RikRiorik said:

RikRiorik said:

Yeah definitely better to wait for the others to build it up for you. Previously you could count on Throgg to do the heavy lifting and you just needed to figure out where he was when you were ready and go bash his head but it might be more busy work now to round up the entirety of Norsca if several factions survive longer.

I like to have Wulfrick go around sacking a bit, doing research, getting the sword and doing the Monster Hunts before I start the ”real” campaign. It’s a nice change of pace from the early game empire building of almost everyone else. Like I said what usually matters most for your safekeeping is to keep scoring diplomatic favour with your fellow Norscans by doing stuff againt their enemies. Do that and don’t stray too far from your starting province and you’re pretty safe.
    Doing it mostly like that now. I had to give up my first Norsca campaign. Even though I managed to take Couronne and wipe out Bretonnia in a very difficult battle, while I was doing that the only other remaining Norsca faction Goromadny Tribe invaded my home from the east, and then Lothern for some reason decided to invade my west coast instead of fighting Dark Elves as they should. Thanks to my mods they came with six massive stacks including multiple dragons, that was around turn 75.

In my new campaign I played with only one province for about 70 turns. Throgg confederated everyone else except Goromadny, but I managed to get friendly with him. Now the big AI advantage from my mods partly worked in my favor because Throgg had massive armies and enough gold to nicely develop Norsca for me. He also absorbed some of the invasion armies Bretonnia sent north. Unfortunately lost a few settlements to them though that I later had to retake and develop myself.

My lone army meanwhile raided, sacked and razed the northern Empire shore, basically I milked Nordland, Marienburg and some other minor factions for gold and xp and leveled up several heroes to have capable army blockers and assassins. Always staying close so I could go back to Norsca to defend against Bretonnian incursions.

Eventually I went over to Throgg and backstabbed him when he had just 6 units in his army... a bit silly how easy that is. Now I'm at turn 100, have built up all of Norsca and get most of the possible upkeep reductions buffs from buildings, tech and lord skills, and am hopefully in a position to soon start some serious invading. But at the moment it's still a very dangerous situation because several super-powerful AI's hate me. Vampire Counts have 150-200 units and are right next to my borders... I hope they stay busy with their many other enemies a while longer.

RikRiorik said:

RikRiorik said:

I like to have Wulfrick go around sacking a bit, doing research, getting the sword and doing the Monster Hunts before I start the ”real” campaign. It’s a nice change of pace from the early game empire building of almost everyone else. Like I said what usually matters most for your safekeeping is to keep scoring diplomatic favour with your fellow Norscans by doing stuff againt their enemies. Do that and don’t stray too far from your starting province and you’re pretty safe.
    Doing it mostly like that now. I had to give up my first Norsca campaign. Even though I managed to take Couronne and wipe out Bretonnia in a very difficult battle, while I was doing that the only other remaining Norsca faction Goromadny Tribe invaded my home from the east, and then Lothern for some reason decided to invade my west coast instead of fighting Dark Elves as they should. Thanks to my mods they came with six massive stacks including multiple dragons, that was around turn 75.

In my new campaign I played with only one province for about 70 turns. Throgg confederated everyone else except Goromadny, but I managed to get friendly with him. Now the big AI advantage from my mods partly worked in my favor because Throgg had massive armies and enough gold to nicely develop Norsca for me. He also absorbed some of the invasion armies Bretonnia sent north. Unfortunately lost a few settlements to them though that I later had to retake and develop myself.

My lone army meanwhile raided, sacked and razed the northern Empire shore, basically I milked Nordland, Marienburg and some other minor factions for gold and xp and leveled up several heroes to have capable army blockers and assassins. Always staying close so I could go back to Norsca to defend against Bretonnian incursions.

Eventually I went over to Throgg and backstabbed him when he had just 6 units in his army... a bit silly how easy that is. Now I'm at turn 100, have built up all of Norsca and get most of the possible upkeep reductions buffs from buildings, tech and lord skills, and am hopefully in a position to soon start some serious invading. But at the moment it's still a very dangerous situation because several super-powerful AI's hate me. Vampire Counts have 150-200 units and are right next to my borders... I hope they stay busy with their many other enemies a while longer.
    My last campaign was on Normal for some reason so just holding Norsca I had a stupid amount of well tiered armies after defeating Archaon. I don’t actually remember how many you can have on VH/Legendary after defeating Archibald.

Here’s to hoping you succeed in sacking and pillaging for the Dark Gods a while longer in your campaign!
    Does Chaos even come when playing Norsca? I didn't get the usual early messages about Chaos stirring and so on. There is also nothing in the victory conditions about defeating Archaon. Would be weird if they suddenly pop up anyway without a warning, given that they spawn right next to Norsca territory.