Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

This is Why I Stopped Playing Three Kingdoms..

2»

Comments

• easytargeteasytarget Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,418
    Like 90% of all threads here, this one struggled mightily in an attempt to make a coherent point before collapsing in failure.
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • OngtheconquererOngtheconquerer Registered Users Posts: 303
    I've spent like 40+ hours in game. Yes sometimes I feel bored. But I don't feel like stopping. If you don't like the game its your opinion. I think the game is still good and this is my opinion. I'm just still waiting for the Spiffing Brit to break the game with exploits :):) .
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Registered Users Posts: 2,319

GuTaiYP said:

Has any of those actual 'Westerner' pals here who aren't allowing me and others like me to say almost 'anything' against the game ever been to China once?

I would appriciate all the comments those based on something solid rather than a Wikipedia-origined info or some TV dramas with extra sauce. Besides, all those 'touchy' friends here still trying to target me over the 'Westerner' part of my comment, which is of course something that reinforces my claim for those to be Westerners with Chinese characteristics 'somehow.'

@Warlord_Lu_Bu

Pal, there are some accurate points in your comment, though I can't say the same for your overall opinion for what I can clearly see from your message is you are still -voluntarily- being a victim of Western discourse despite your own claim, which you are a Mongolian that strongly advocates a 'bound' between Mongolians and Han Chinese in defiance of knowing -I presume- the social status of Han Chinese were even lower than the prostitutes during the Yuan Dynasty. And that again, visiting the actual China and spending some time over there might help you with your claims to become more reliable I believe. Since you were raised in Western part of the world -dollars, euros etc you know what I mean- you can even afford a few years to observe your mesmerising China at the first hand.

Facts and beliefs don't match all the time..

You are correct... that when Mongols ruled China, Han Chinese were considered less than slaves... in fact the words for "slave" in Mongol were "Chinese Man"... a history that the Chinese did to the Mongols first... and then faced the punishment for it later.

But what do you mean...? I'm not mesmerising China... I'm not saying it has flying dragons and Han Emperors and jade palaces that float in the sky! I'm just saying that it's far more interesting than a bunch of fat European "kings" sending peasants to die on mass, while they feast in ugly castles and talk about legendary things they didn't even do.
    Why do people insist on bashing one thing to praise another?

European history is fascinating. Chinese history also seems to be really interesting. That’s that.

Because... it's my opinion? I'm not bashing anything, I'm giving my opinion and in my opinion, the only "interest" period in European history was probably the Mongol and then the Ottoman Invasion of it... and WW1-2 that started in Europe... that's about it really.
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,617
    edited June 2019
    As a "Westerner" TW3K is a very interesting Total War.

Even if it feels a bit too "gamey" at times with its mechanics like traits (I personnally feel it's a shame we can't directly influence - at least it's not stated - on the traits our characters get over time with some dilemnas for exemple), events (RNJesus please), and the Three Kingdom phase (which is a definite improvement from Shogun 2 realm divide)

Unit roster feel lackluster ? Well, not all people actually want unique unit rosters have to have to learn which unit does what. TW3K took the Shogun 2 route and I'm grateful to CA for this : it's easy to swap from a faction to another and yet keep a bit of identity with special units.

Coalitions forming and starting wars on each other in a chaotic manner is what really happened I believe, if anything I wonder if the game is not a bit slower paced than what really happened. Actually taking back control is possible and is actually quite fun. (At least in Normal difficulty)
  • SilverMaidSilverMaid Registered Users Posts: 43
    GuTaiYP said:

Has any of those actual 'Westerner' pals here who aren't allowing me and others like me to say almost 'anything' against the game ever been to China once?

I would appriciate all the comments those based on something solid rather than a Wikipedia-origined info or some TV dramas with extra sauce. Besides, all those 'touchy' friends here still trying to target me over the 'Westerner' part of my comment, which is of course something that reinforces my claim for those to be Westerners with Chinese characteristics 'somehow.'.

You can say whatever you like. It's just that what you say is meaningless, contradicts common sense or is flat out wrong.

First you claim it targets the chinese market (partly, duh??) and when all the support from westerners for the game is voiced you cop out with irrelevant stuff like "Have you even been to china?" or how it's only glorified through media. Why exactly do you think the game is so heavily advertised through romance mode...?
    Then when chinese people who know their culture support the game you just go back to how it's only for chinese. Get real.

We're more than happy to listen to critique. But complaining about a game that focuses on the 3K period for being chinese... and wanting it to be westernized? Do you seriously need people to tell you how ridiculous that is?
  • pontifexmaximuspontifexmaximus Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 31
    edited June 2019
    I can see both sides tbh, I do enjoy a fresh direction rather than just another Europe campaign, and I'm excited to learn more about Chinese history, however I do think that being hit with such a huge array of alien names is confusing for the western player. I've just about got a grip on the main playable factions now, but there can still be times where i have a diplomacy popup and have to spend a couple of tedious minutes scrolling through the factions to understand who exactly they are talking about. It's ignorance, sure, but it's still affecting my experience with the game.

I think a point to be made about Shogun 2 is that it was foreign to the western mind but there was also something very arcadey and accessible about it. You could go into it with a deep understanding, sure, but at first glance you could see that there is Takeda - He's the red guy who likes horses, Shimazu is the green katana guy, and so on.

I think CA had a good idea with the nickname system, I find it much easier to think of 'The Bandit Queen' and 'The Tyrant' and I think it provides a useful crutch for players new to the period to start learning it in more detail. I think maybe I'd like to see this implemented more widely in the game, perhaps with distinct faction names (The Black Mountain Bandits, The Jade Scholars) and even provinces - so for example a province called 'Xiandong' could become 'Xiandong - Ancient Capital' or 'Xiandong - Western Badlands'. Again, just as a way for newbies to this subject to orientate themselves.

I'm sure for many enthusiasts of this period this probably seems like it is insulting your intelligence, and it probably is. I'm merely saying there is a case for balance between realistic immersion and more casual accesibility
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,884
    Stinks of sour grapes to me. You failed miserably in the campaign, and as is typical with the ignorant and the narrow-minded, decided to blame them foreigners lol.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 19,713
    I like the game very much. Wanted something in this era and location for over 15 years. I happen to live in the mid-US.

That said, let's all avoid making disparaging comments on any cultural differences or on anyone's opinion. This is a historical context based game. If one likes the game one can play it. If not, then one can play something else.

Choices are wonderful things to have aren't they?
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • HWTsengHWTseng Member Registered Users Posts: 82
    Three Kingdoms is a massive genre in China with many pop-culture products not only from China itself but also from Japan and Korea, which both produce massive amounts of content based on 3 Kingdoms. One of them is video games, there is a vast array of video games from China and Japan based on 3k.

So really the market for 3 Kingdom games in China is so competitive, to get generally positive reviews from Chinese Players only goes to show what a success it is in terms of representation of the period and game play. So your 'negative' point of most positive reviews are from china is actually a positive.
  • tqhung87tqhung87 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 394
    Treat it as an extended pokemon game then you will find fun in it.
  • GuTaiYPGuTaiYP Registered Users Posts: 262
    I think a point to be made about Shogun 2 is that it was foreign to the western mind but there was also something very arcadey and accessible about it. You could go into it with a deep understanding, sure, but at first glance you could see that there is Takeda - He's the red guy who likes horses, Shimazu is the green katana guy, and so on.
    @pontifexmaximus

Thanks for the comment dude. I couldn't be more clearly to point it out myself.

Besides, I sadly observe that majority of the folk here still getting stuck with the ''Westerner'' part only.

@dge1
    So the freedom of criticism I hope?
    Some people are not known for questioning the things they've paid for. Is it a virtue one must have in Modern Times?
  • AxlswhkAxlswhk Registered Users Posts: 216
    GuTaiYP said:

@pontifexmaximus

Besides, I sadly observe that majority of the folk here still getting stuck with the ''Westerner'' part only.

@dge1
    To be honest I am sure many find it hard to grasp what is your main concern when many of your points does not relate when put together.

Is it criticism for a yellow race? Or the game? Or feel western company should never release a Chinese game.

The era is China but the country that made this game genre famous is japan if you’re not aware. You will be surprise to find this genre creating a huge fan base spread across east and south east Asia, definitely not restricted within China.

Thailand is a good example, three kingdom is well known even tho thais are not ategories as Chinese by any means or do they see themselves with Chinese roots. It’s the romance of the story that attract people, not the Color of the skin.

• Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,361
    Except that this thread isn't about criticism about the game, this is only a sour rant about "hurr I bought a game that says total war without reading that it said three kingdoms and I can't relate to three kingdoms since I know nothing about it and I am so sad and I regret my purchase waaagh waaagh waaaagh!" Then the OP proceeds to create a divide between "westerners" and "Chinese" and tries to group positive opinions about the game into the "Chinese" camp and brushes off "westerners" liking the game with "have you been to China?" and the OP proceeds to claim that he is so knowledgeable about China when knowing nothing about the basics of Chinese history with the three kingdoms.

So in the end, the question comes down to "is there the freedom to rant and cry after buying a game which you have no knowledge of the setting nor the context?" I guess so, its a opinion, an extremely self centered and shortsighted opinion but nevertheless its an opinion and people are free to express their opinions regardless.
  • iriyasiriyas Registered Users Posts: 59
    some people think they are superior because they can write a lot of words lol this thread should be blocked and deleted. if CA was making games on the the "western" audience they should stop selling it on internet platforms.

why do people like you think the world needs to know your petty complaints about a wrong decision you made? I've bought plenty of games I didn't like before, never went around making ignorant posts about them or other cultures based on it. maybe its my exotic, non - western upbringing in Sri Lanka
  • kweassa1kweassa1 Registered Users Posts: 728
    - Unit rosters are but a few
    - Name, places, all the content in general.. looks unfimiliar and there is nothing for a westerner to identify himself with.
    - After reaching turn 50 and so every faction rushes for coalitions and you suddenly start getting 10 or so messages telling that x has declared war on y, z did the same.. A total chaos in short and you begin loosing the control on the game from that moment on..
    - The content regarding factions in the game are clearly and deliberately crippled heavily for the sake of upcoming DLCs / Chapters, and the milking process will follow of course!
    - After turn 80~ around the game absolutely starts repeating itself.
    - Do check the other positive comments in Steam page, most of them are left by Chinese players.
    1. Unit rosters aren't particularly 'fewer' than any other game we had so far. As someone said, more variety of units than in STW2.

2. Fair enough. A westerner doesn't give shi* about what happened in the East -- It's a preference thing. So there's nothing wrong with this. You can't force people to take interest in something.

3. Diplomacy is how you make or break it. If you did not take the necessary steps to intervene in how the diplomacy shifts around, it's only natural things go haywire. All this says, is simply you're not very good with the 'diplomatic game.'

4. I don't see any 'crippled content' and this is simply a false, blanket statement without real evidence. How vague can one get?

5. Every TW game is a 'repetition' of itself. I don't see how this is anything special. Tell me if you have an example of any TW game that's not played in the exact same way. This is an absurd nitpick equivalent to "Chess doesn't have any variety, because it's literally people moving around the set pieces in a set board with the exact same rules." It's ludicrous.

So basically, the only valid criticism I find is the "I'm a western person, I don't give shi* about Eastern history." Like said, this is a preference thing, so nobody should be bashing you for it.

However, at the same time, I think I've not seen so many TW gamers newly interested in the history of the East, as well as taking time to actually try and read about the lore and the era -- so clearly, your preference does seem to be just a personal one, since a lot of opposite cases where westerners actually became more interested in new stuff , because of this game.

So yeah. I think you have to do better than that.
  • Migi84Migi84 Registered Users Posts: 62
    I too, am a westerner who knew nothing about Chinese history or this particular time period. Every character name blended in to the others and I was completely lost.

So I bought a translated copy of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, started up a game and though, oooh cool, Liu Bei has Zhang Fei and Guan Yu with him.

different strokes innit.
  • ma7moud_al_sharifma7moud_al_sharif Registered Users Posts: 329
    edited June 2019
    @GuTaiYP
    a lot of these matters boil down to personal preferences obviously but it never hurts to safely state so explicitly, time and time again (incase of some pendant finding an entry to call u out on something yknow).

furthermore, i think a reason why so many were getting hung up about the "not western enough"-part of your initial posting may be cause ur contra arguments rly were anything but waterproof - or in other words, too easily objected. additional text would have bloated ur entry a bit but consider a couple weak/insufficient contra cases combined with the "as a westerner i cant relate" argument and the perception strongly builds up that the reason for the negative bias is because of impossible "western" expectations. folks will feel that all ur points r moot and u critizise the game unfairly.
    i must admit i also have the same perception after reading ur second or so negative keyppoint:
    GuTaiYP said:

- Name, places, all the content in general.. looks unfimiliar and there is nothing for a westerner to identify himself with.

id say this line just by itself steers the discussion into a certain direction.
    had u tried to pronounce/relate it more towards the "aimed for the chinese market much" trope, perhaps the type of responses would had been a bit different.

i think if u simply do not enjoy diplomacy (if so) u should have been more clear about it rather than say that diplomacy in 3 kings sucks. past total war games, diplomacy could have been easily disregarded. in 3k, diplomacy is now part of the game for the sake of ur realm's survival or else yuan shao (or any other respective big boii boss) and his war hounds will eat u up (and ur last rice storages).
    imo the diplomacy game improved vastly with the three kings iteration. i feel like if u watch closely the political scene, u can have some impact and predictive results. i for my part enjoy the diplomacy part quite a bit. additionally because i loved to do the yuan shao scheme in previous titles and with three kings it works better than, say in attila. to say diplomacy is a mess without further explanation can seem like a half hearted attempt at trying the game.

while the campaign imo massively improved, i agree on the somewhat barren inital outlook especially true for unit diversity and portrayed cultures waiting to b expanded by additional content. for some time now thats with any fresh tw title imo and not particular to 3k. (compare initial shogun 2 with complete shogun 2). though i feel in terms of unique faction mechanics, 3k is on par or even better than other tw titles. if i recall correctly attile faction mechanics for most parts were just numbers modifiers.
    i for my part am fairly content with the game depth three kings offers on the campaign map. perhaps after the first couple updates/FLCs u may give it a second try.

additionally, specifically in regards to ur suspicion of deliberately limited game content for scheduled DLC - i suspect aaa games behind the scenes get exponentially more extensive in scope over the years ago. i suspect it is not feasable to release and sell aaa with all the graphical extravaganza and game content appropriate for today's standards under the same business model, games were 10 years+ ago before the age of DLC galore. mbe im wrong. CA is still a business after all.
    the "early adopter"-(cut-content)-bonus though is definitely shady model. at least its a much reduced and (arguably) acceptable form of the predecessing rome ii example with the cut-for-preorder greek city states. if it werent for this change of sales model, i - if at all - would have gotten their titles off of mmoga or comparable platform.

@LestaT
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/2421713/#Comment_2421713
    as a relatively unpriviledged person of colour i say: go put ur head from whence it came from. (if u dont understand -inside ur abdomen.) i have seen what non-white people r definitely capable of. there r many who can also submit this notion im sure.

white settlers were in a position of power and acted upon it just as any other people would do. simply, matters of geography / geopolitics. bleeding over of knowledge and technology were accellerated via trade between china all the way to europe. compare that to meso-american people who were no less sophisticated but could not count on such geographical predispositions.
    now add the wisdom of the orient, in important fields like math, medicine, philosophy, architecture, that the orient had kept of antiquity (or exchanged with india) that the crusaders (re)gained - marking a crucial period of progress that catapulted the europeans from basically stone age v2.0 into competetive shape for world domination.

i am sure most or all of that u already know but regardless u seem to have a comprehension deficit so i emphasized it none the less.

yes, europeans/whites in terms of cultural gifts/achievements were to some extent lucky bastards. i just find it somewhat ironically that white people get so readily flamed and associated for their historical sins (like slavery and other forms of appropriation) - whilst omitting that these werent exclusively white trades either (as much as it hurts me to say) and that it was up to team whitey to ultimately abolish slavery. (not saying that its gone now either).
  • IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 607
    edited June 2019
    iriyas said:

frankly its matter of opinion and i prefer a simplified unit roster. chins is one country so the units are pretty much the same unlike MTW which has to represent many cultures.

There should still be some decent unit diversity. The Han Empire was roughly as big or a bit bigger than the Roman Empire, and the current boundaries of what is now modern China is around the size of the entire continent of Europe. There should be a large variety of troops because different regions had different specialties, different native peoples, different terrain, and access to different resources.

For example, the northern regions had the flat pastureland, central plains, deserts, and steppes. The north could retain large and diverse cavalry forces, chariots, and dense infantry blocks with pikes and long polearms that were suited to the flat terrain of the region. The southeast had a subtropical climate with the terrain of mountainous jungles, which was terrible for massed cavalry warfare or large blocks of pike and crossbow infantry. The southwestern regions were mountains, riverlands, and temperate forests - so again, very different.

It's like how the Roman Empire in the 4th century AD had to recruit heavy cataphract-like cavalry and recurve bowmen auxillaries from the eastern provinces because they couldn't get them elsewhere in the empire. The game Tiger Knight for example was able to create pretty decent and diverse unit rosters despite only working with the main three factions - Wei, Wu, and Shu. Eg. Wei having pikes, long polearms, heavy cavalry, horse archers, etc. Wu has different types of short polearms, sword infantry, heavily armored long swordsmen and bows. Shu has lots of different types of crossbowmen, axemen, barbarian infantry, and hit and run troops, etc. See Tiger Knight units: https://imgur.com/a/AOdVKEK

And that's just for the Han Empire units - there were tons of different non-Han factions within or bordering the Han Empire's territory during this time, such as the proto-Korean kingdoms, proto-Sino-Viet peoples and Yue kingdoms, Qiang tribes and proto-Tibetans, various nomadic tribes such as the Wuhuan, Xiongnu, Xianbei, etc.

TW3K's current unit roster doesn't really present the regional differences very well as it's too reliant on the generals & 5-elements recruitment system.
    Post edited by Intranetusa on
  • SilverMaidSilverMaid Registered Users Posts: 43
    edited June 2019
    kweassa1 said:

2. Fair enough. A westerner doesn't give shi* about what happened in the East -- It's a preference thing. So there's nothing wrong with this. You can't force people to take interest in something.

GuTaiYP: buy game solely based on china

TW3K: is exactly that

GuTaiYP:

Boy, am I glad we have fascinating threads like these.

Why buy it if he seemingly can't stand a game without western content? He got exactly what he paid for.
    And it doesn't stop with just being a waste of time rant - he scrutinizing other 'westerners' because they are actually tolerant and open to enjoy other cultures. What kinda narrative is someone trying to push if one of your main concerns about the game is that chinese people give positive reviews? Doesn't help that all his other points are mute arguments as well.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 19,713
    As the focus of the conversation seems to be about opinions of opinions this is moved to Off topic.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • yhlwymyjm2yhlwymyjm2 Registered Users Posts: 71
    The problem is CA doesn't hire me for a consultant, I'm an expert of ancient military history, ethnology, psychology, Mathematics & Physics as well as game balancing.
    They messed up the battle system with also the ignorance of the ancient military history.

For instance, 2 handed spears in china should have evasion bonus rather than damage bonus, that's why they are using 2h-spear.
    Armour should have melee defence(all damage block chance) bonus just like shields, the ratio of block chance of total armor defence(block+armor) depends on the
    type of armour, different from leather to steel plate.
    Only the strike weapons(hammer club) deal Armour-penetration damage rather than the many Armour-piercing weapons just like thrusting spears.

Gou lian dao the glaive or so many dragon units are never popular or existed in ancient china...WTF is that..
    It's true that axe should not deal many ap damge just like in the demo...
    The battle system designer made a really big mistake , he does not introduced STRENGTHs system while the game full of the bonus from
    attack rate and evasion skill...
    I think I will give a stat called strength to each units to differentiate the tier attack power,
    like, 10 strength will improve 10% weapon damage and reduce 5% attack interval...THAT's the RIGHT way.

While some balancing problem may from the heavy armor, like full steel plate, it will provide 92% all damage block chance, people only
    attack the weak point or push down a full-plate-armor warrior to beat him, it is not really hard for the warrior is
    not flexbile in real world, so that we can let every armour also have some attack rate debuff to
    balance it.
    Posts deleted. Let's all leave to derogatory remarks at home.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,421
    The only other TW I’ve played are the two Total War Warhammers that’ve played for around 2300 hours combined.

I found many things about Three Kingdoms that I liked. The romance mode, the unique characters, the economic and settlement system, the difficulty of the campaign, the importance and choices of diplomacy, the government positions, the battle AI and the battle maps. That said I’ve only played around 40 or so hours since release and not really feeling the pull to get me back into it for whatever reason.

It just doesn’t pull me in like Warhammer, a setting I’ve spent the last 20ish years loving and absorbing, does. I guess that is the main thing. But there’s no doubt that Total War Warhammer would be much more enjoyable if it had some of the elements of Three Kingdoms incorporated.

Another aspect is that it just doesn’t feel like it has as much replayability value.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • changanchangan Registered Users Posts: 1
    GuTaiYP said:

@pontifexmaximus

@dge1
    It is definitely free to express your opinion, so do I.
    Simply the reason why many people stick on the "Western" part you said is simply you left it as one of the major reason that you don't like this game, and one of the weridest one.
    Well, as other commenters says a lot of threads that saying postive about this game is mading by chinese, Yes I admit that, but chinese don't like some failure games and talking non sense about chinese history, simply it make a lot of correctness about the history and we like it, I have no idea what you guys doing in your country but as a chinese we usually have a solid link with our land we stayed and our history before, even it might be thousands years ago.
    And just a little advice, it is definitely ok to not knowing anything about china's history, I have no right to let you read a book so you do not need to be ignorant like that. But treat ignorance like some pride and speak everywhere doesn't lose my face, it is yours.
    And Well, I am a chinese, but it is funny to see that someone saying postive about this game, you become the genuis and find out a lot chinese people pretend to be western and speak to you, that is so funny. Like any youtube video, for example talking about covid-19, any people blame US government or saying anything postive about chinese government will soon have a name as "chinese spy". So ironic
    Never think yourself as the smartest one, and never treat ignorance as one of advantage, otherwise people in my country will suggest you to have an IQ test