Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

March Stance - retreat?

BeardedragonBeardedragon MemberPosts: 1,364Registered Users
is this a bug, that you can retreat with march stance? or did CA think that would be a terrific idea?

because the idea is stupid, specially given that there are no agents to hinder their movement.

Comments

• kweassa1kweassa1 Posts: 663Registered Users
    1. Not bug
    2. Not particularly great, nor stupid
    3. Build for faster armies. Having slow armies is entirely on you.

• BeardedragonBeardedragon Member Posts: 1,364Registered Users
    kweassa1 said:

1. Not bug
    2. Not particularly great, nor stupid
    3. Build for faster armies. Having slow armies is entirely on you.

how do i build a faster army?

an army full of horsemen dont move further than an army of trebuches does it? (would in real life, but does the game account for it?).

and if it does account for it, will my entire movementspeed be slowed down to trebuche speed if i have a single one of those?
    edited June 17
    + 10% more movement from item
    + 15% more movement from reform
    + 25% more movement with leading general's skill
    + cavalry armies DO travel further
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    = any running enemy caught at the most within 3 turns.
  • street_regulatorstreet_regulator Posts: 162Registered Users
    yeah just get the item, reform, and commander skill that buff campaign movement range. and if you dont get them all by turn 5 just "git gud," as my ingenious and learned friend here would say
  • BoombastekBoombastek Posts: 2,017Registered Users

is this a bug, that you can retreat with march stance? or did CA think that would be a terrific idea?

because the idea is stupid, specially given that there are no agents to hinder their movement.

You can in any time move 1 general outside army, hide other 2 general in ambush and just bite enemy to attack you.

No need to catch and running, rely on items.
  • georgiebestgeorgiebest Member Posts: 63Registered Users
    Use an attack order and then just before your army engages and they retreat press back-space. It will make your army cancel the attack order, but you'll be standing within their army area of influence. When you end turn, their only option is to attack you or to stand still, so you can easily force them into battle.
    I actually forgot ancillaries... so it should be...

+ 5% from ancillary

The ancillary and item could be hard to come by, but the rest that gives you +40% movement range is a global effect, so it's not too hard. After I got the taste for it, the +15% range reform and +25% general skill is just way too important.
    edited June 17

Use an attack order and then just before your army engages and they retreat press back-space. It will make your army cancel the attack order, but you'll be standing within their army area of influence. When you end turn, their only option is to attack you or to stand still, so you can easily force them into battle.

so... using a glitch is your answer? i wont do that.
    kweassa1 said:

I actually forgot ancillaries... so it should be...

+ 5% from ancillary

The ancillary and item could be hard to come by, but the rest that gives you +40% movement range is a global effect, so it's not too hard. After I got the taste for it, the +15% range reform and +25% general skill is just way too important.

how is that measured? does that mean an army of 3 retinues of cavalry travel further than a 3 retinues of cavalry minus 1 cavalry unit replaced with a spear unit?

all in all its just stupid that you can retreat from march stance. it goes against everything previous total war games has tried to teach us. theres no super negative reason not to go march stance anymore.

Do you really think it's wise to call stuff 'stupid' when people are actively telling you that they suffer none of such problems you have?

If the enemy marches faster than you can, you're not gonna catch them unless you march even faster, or lure them in, or corner them using terrain. Nothing 'stupid' about that.
    edited June 17
    kweassa1 said:

Do you really think it's wise to call stuff 'stupid' when people are actively telling you that they suffer none of such problems you have?

If the enemy marches faster than you can, you're not gonna catch them unless you march even faster, or lure them in, or corner them using terrain. Nothing 'stupid' about that.

unless i march faster? you cant catch people in march stance by using march stance yourself. you cant attack them.

also im allowed to think its stupid, which i do regardless of whether certain people can make it work. its a step back from whats the norm in total wars and i dislike it. it also doesnt make any sense that an army exhausted from a longer march, would just "up up and away" when attacked.
  • street_regulatorstreet_regulator Posts: 162Registered Users
    The whole area of influence thing is kinda ambiguous. Sometimes it'll randomly happen when you blind march into an army in fog of war. Sometimes it happens when you cancel an attack before starting it like @georgiebest said. Seems super useful but not sure if it's intended to be used that way
  • WhiteHorseMemesWhiteHorseMemes Posts: 331Registered Users
    edited June 18

You can in any time move 1 general outside army, hide other 2 general in ambush and just bite enemy to attack you.

No need to catch and running, rely on items.
    This is the best suggestion imo, as it relies on nothing and you can just merge the two armies back again afterwards.

A lot of the time it's possible to just split one retinue off and catch a retreating "marching" army without needing ambush stance too. Especially easy with Gongsun Zan due to his increased reinforcement range.