Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Did I just pay $89 for a game that only has a campaign mode?

IMpracticalLYIMpracticalLY Posts: 42Registered Users
edited June 17 in General Discussion
Doesn't seem to matter whether I have the latest 1.1.0 beta update installed or inactive, can't connect or start Multiplayer games, denies me entry or gets stuck in the countdown at 1. Do I have to uninstall/reinstall the patch every time just to match the same game type?

Quick Battles don't work, or glitch out during the "looking for match" que.

Outrageous x2-6 Xu Chu spam in both game modes if your lucky to find one.

Post edited by IMpracticalLY on

Comments

• JacquestheApostateJacquestheApostate Senior Member Posts: 659Registered Users
    Does your pc meet minimum specs?
    3 Kingdoms is a great game campaign wise. Make ranked battles in Records mode. Until that is done it won't be complete.
    Gun Cav in Shogun II should have a Retainer!
    Give us another Avatar Campaign!
  • tadakatsutadakatsu Junior Member Posts: 389Registered Users
    wow you do know you would have a higher chance at getting responses from CA if you do not insult them and call them things like clowns right? i mean i know i for one would not reply to anyone that would insult me. also in my opinion three kingdoms is well worth the price even if it only had a singleplayer campaign cause thats where total war has always shined anyway but this game technically has not 1 but 2 campaigns as it has a romance mode aka exaggerated history with heroes doing impossible feats and records mode pure history in the typical historical total war format.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    There's a support forum for these kind of things.
  • IMpracticalLYIMpracticalLY Posts: 42Registered Users
    edited June 18
    tadakatsu said:

wow you do know you would have a higher chance at getting responses from CA if you do not insult them and call them things like clowns right? i mean i know i for one would not reply to anyone that would insult me. also in my opinion three kingdoms is well worth the price even if it only had a singleplayer campaign cause thats where total war has always shined anyway but this game technically has not 1 but 2 campaigns as it has a romance mode aka exaggerated history with heroes doing impossible feats and records mode pure history in the typical historical total war format.

I was angry. I have a right to be. Could have called them worse but you are right, no way to get a response, not that they have the integrity to do so anyway.

Don't advertise lies. If there are issues, address them publicly so players know something is being done. Plenty of methods they themselves (and others) have developed to interface with their fans, use them.

Had the game for 2 weeks and only played 8 MP/ QB battles despite regular attempts.

The game wasn't advertised as a single player campaign experience, not all of us play TW solely for the campaigns.

However, the game is a accurate highlight for Chinese culture and history.

My computer exceeds the necessities of this games requirements by a large margin.

Original post edited. Unacceptable performance CA, easy fixes for online MP and QB modes. Fix the bugs and the Xu Chu spam so I can play the full game I paid for and was advertised as such.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on
    total war has and always will be first and foremost a singleplayer game with multiplayer capability. multiplayer was never what total war was built around and quite frankly it just does not have the popularity in multiplayer to justify CA dumping money into to make it better they tried that once with shogun 2 and evidently it didnt have enough players to support better multiplayer or they would have done what they did with shogun 2 again here. also it wasnt advertized as a singleplayer experience? please tell me any time at all that CA showed off the multiplayer lol. even in there livestreams before launch they never once showed the multiplayer cause why would they its no different really than any previous total war game lol. while it has multiplayer it is not and never will be what total war is built around.
    tadakatsu said:

total war has and always will be first and foremost a singleplayer game with multiplayer capability. multiplayer was never what total war was built around and quite frankly it just does not have the popularity in multiplayer to justify CA dumping money into to make it better they tried that once with shogun 2 and evidently it didnt have enough players to support better multiplayer or they would have done what they did with shogun 2 again here. also it wasnt advertized as a singleplayer experience? please tell me any time at all that CA showed off the multiplayer lol. even in there livestreams before launch they never once showed the multiplayer cause why would they its no different really than any previous total war game lol. while it has multiplayer it is not and never will be what total war is built around.

Most irrelevant response I've ever seen.

TW has always had a multiplayer. Never made videos about it in the past but that doesn't mean it wasn't advertised as having said multiplayer experience.

Its primary function is to provide a solid single player campaign with multiplayer capabilities, as you just said.

I don't care about the state of QB and MP philosophically, I care about its functionality. If its not functional and I spent money on an advertised product that said it was, that is a lie or a mistake. Mistakes should be addressed, which, in this case, they haven't been and I seriously doubt CA is unaware of these issues. Which means their choosing to omit information to save face, tantamount to lies. A cliche' business tactic. Moderators are also closing discussions that attempt to address balance and performance issues. Whats the excuse for that CA?

Buying themselves time and censoring those with genuine inquiries to downplay the seriousness of the problem.

Campaign is great (despite the classic TW bugs) and I thoroughly enjoy it, but that doesn't excuse false advertising and a lack of unaddressed functionality.
    yes it has had multiplayer and it still does but it was never and never will be its strong point hence why they never show any of the multiplayer before launch aside from multi campaigns. also while i haven't played multi battles much i have had no issue with them in functionality. also ive not seen any threads with valid complaints get closed i have however seen people who complained while at the same time insulting CA get closed.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,363Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    gotcha havent played multi battles in particular in a while so was not up to date on the latest on that
  • GerryGamer7GerryGamer7 Munich, Bavaria | GermanyPosts: 387Registered Users
    The original post asked: DID I JUST PAY $89 FOR A GAME THAT ONLY HAS A CAMPAIGN MODE?

And the answer is: yes. more or less. theoretically this game has an MP mode. "ranked battles" work in romance mode only and the ladder (Top 500) consists of 90 percent cheaters. On friday even this joke ceased to work.
    Currently there r atm 5 games to be found on the open mp battle ingame.

so, yes. me, too. i paid 42 euros for a single player game. now i fully understand why the best magazines in Germany did not test the MP (which is quite unusual nowadays). there is none!

am i angry? yup! i have started to play this series back in 2000 and it was only in warhammer 2 that i began to enjoy MP more than campaigns. this is just me, understood, but that MP is non-existent leaves a bad taste.

MAKE RECORDS MODE THE DEFAULT MODE FOR RANKED GAMES. Period.
    No matter how negative i may sound, i love three kingdoms.
  • street_regulatorstreet_regulator Posts: 151Registered Users
    I agree, wh2 multiplayer was actually very enjoyable. Losing that in 3k is disappointing
    warhammer 2 didnt even have anything unique about multiplayer lol so not sure how it can be any more enjoyable than any other total war game in multi. and nothing is lost in three kingdoms they just need to fix it and balance it like usual and it will be back but if people buy a primarily singleplayer game for the small part that is multplayer then i dont think thats a smart idea
  • street_regulatorstreet_regulator Posts: 151Registered Users
    edited June 17
    Wh2 multiplayer was good because there was a small scene forming around it, not because it had any special features or mechanics. There were also many viable options which made the variety aspect enjoyable. I get the game is primarily focused on the campaign, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying the multiplayer as well. I never understood why people get hostile and offended when some players enjoy different parts of the game than they do. wack
    not saying its wrong to like multiplayer just that people shouldnt get so mad cause they buy a game that is known for its singleplayer and act like its a waste of money or something cause they only bought it for the multiplayer part that isnt good right now. its kinda like saying i buy a game that is mostly multiplayer expecting the singleplayer to be good thats not logical. now obviously it would be nice if both were good so that everyone can be happy but i dont think any game will ever make everyone happy thats a nearly impossible task to achieve.
  • JoukeSeinstraJoukeSeinstra Posts: 268Registered Users
    It's quite dissapointing. It should be noted that CA has a poor record on balancing multiplayer. They rather break Campaign lore by nerfing Yuan Shao design by novel. In Warhammer it took a long time before they fixed dropping games for draws. Leaderboard has no guidance whatsoever in any title of CA. Sorry, but you were fooled by marketing.
  • GelstonGelston Senior Member Posts: 1,583Registered Users
    tadakatsu said:

Incorrect, they had a coop campaign.
    yes but coop is not and never was the focus of total war and they still do have it
  • GelstonGelston Senior Member Posts: 1,583Registered Users
    tadakatsu said:

yes but coop is not and never was the focus of total war and they still do have it

You said they never showed off multiplayer. I was pointing out they had. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,247Registered Users

The original post asked: DID I JUST PAY $89 FOR A GAME THAT ONLY HAS A CAMPAIGN MODE?

And the answer is: yes. more or less. theoretically this game has an MP mode. "ranked battles" work in romance mode only and the ladder (Top 500) consists of 90 percent cheaters. On friday even this joke ceased to work.

so, yes. me, too. i paid 42 euros for a single player game. now i fully understand why the best magazines in Germany did not test the MP (which is quite unusual nowadays). there is none!

am i angry? yup! i have started to play this series back in 2000 and it was only in warhammer 2 that i began to enjoy MP more than campaigns. this is just me, understood, but that MP is non-existent leaves a bad taste.

The only thing CA can do is to procide a platform, which they already did. The rest is uo to the players themselves. If 95% of TW players themselves did not even play the MP battles, then of course the lobby looks empty.

I dont have the exact figure, but during Arena days, more than half the players I met are not really into traditional TW games.

The downside for TW MP battles is that usually takes a while to set up and have a battle. The reason I enjoyed TW Arena compared to normal TW MP battles is that it's quick and easy to set up and you can have the battle in less than 2 minutes after firing up the game.

In regular TW battle, even after you met your opponent it will take a while for each side to set up a battle, choosing generals, units and many other combination.

This is why TW MP scene did not really grow except amongst some hardcore few. Most players who are only into MP are already in other games, which is specifically developed with MP in mind.
    when i said they never showed multiplayer i was referring to quickmatches/multiplayer battles lobby since that seems to be what they were complaining about?
    dge1 said:
    FYI, this is for Warhammer 2 MP/QB battles, I understand they run on the same servers but I don't check WH2 discussion boards for Three Kingdoms content. There are thousands of discussions. Those games were two titles ago and could hardly be considered as addressing the problem of the current title.

What are the chances that CA responded to any Three Kingdoms discussions highlighting the same performance problems? Haven't seen a response from them addressing this issue except on WH1 and 2 discussion boards. If you could link me one I would appreciate it greatly.

Interesting that CA is more active and responsive to functionality problems in WH games than the latest "record breaking sales" game that came out less than a month ago. I find that very interesting.

May I inquire as to the reason why you closed this discussion thread dge1?

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/244473/multiplayer-cheating-멀티에서-장군6명-데려오는-버그#latest

Doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary. I've encountered the same problem in almost every QB game I've played (8 games in 16 days, nothing in the past week) and familiarised very strongly with this individuals incredibly well put discussion. Despite the language barriers, he/she was very thorough and informative. They even provided a step by step (with pics) of the problem in hopes it would be addressed, however, you closed it for this reason, and I quote "Closed. This is not something Creative Assembly can control".

Weird, haven't seen this response in any WH discussion threads mate, they remain open and have even been responded to by moderators and CA. Who is able to control it? Last I checked it said Total War, Creative Assembly and Sega at the bottom of this website.

Please correct any mistakes or assumptions I've made, unfortunately with this lack of official response that may be all I can hope to achieve and am more than willing to be addressed/corrected. Seems like extremely poor communication, or more likely an attempted dodge at any potential reputation damage to the current flagship game that is 3K.
  • RO37RO37 Senior Member Posts: 526Registered Users
    If you want CA to respond to a support request, maybe you should post in the support forum.

Disappointing indeed friend. They will kill their MP/QB community if this keeps up, what little there was anyway, or it will remain a haven for cheaters who get some weird satisfaction from cheating their way to the top. Number 1 guy on the leaderboards last week had 6 wins. Absolutely hilarious.

90% of the problem (besides the inability to play MP/QB games) is the same hero spamming, just limit the heroes to one a piece.

Hang in there friend, one day I hope to see you on the field of battle. But for now, I will keep spamming the discussion boards.
  • GerryGamer7GerryGamer7 Munich, Bavaria | GermanyPosts: 387Registered Users
    LestaT said:

And the answer is: yes. more or less ...

The only thing CA can do is to procide a platform, which they already did. The rest is uo to the players themselves. If 95% of TW players themselves did not even play the MP battles, then of course the lobby looks empty.

This is why TW MP scene did not really grow except amongst some hardcore few. Most players who are only into MP are already in other games, which is specifically developed with MP in mind.
    Yes and No. Yes the platform is there, Yes, many players switched to other games.
    No to the rest is up to the players. We cant change the bugged source code. I am sure (being in various groups and knowing literally thousands of MP players enjoying even this MP in warhammer) that there is money in this market. Long story short. Give modders the code and we -- the community -- is able to mod a decent MP or charge us for a functioning ladder. Jeez, there are much much larger communities with servers costing real money and not this **** P2P system AND they are for free AND still grow, donation software so to speak.

I do not want to leave the series, and switch to Starcraft2 or the twenty year old Generals (irony). I love the games from CA since i played Shogun One on a power mac. I just want to play a decent MP in 3K and Warhammer 3, if it ever sees the light of day. Take my money, if you want it, CA -- but for heavens sake, find a solution.

MAKE RECORDS MODE THE DEFAULT MODE FOR RANKED GAMES. Period.
    No matter how negative i may sound, i love three kingdoms.
    edited June 18
    games with servers that cost money have to have a good multiplayer as that is what they are built around usually and have a much much larger mp community but the vast majority of total war players either never touch multiplayer or very rarely play it and just like with any game they can check statistics and see how many people play something and determine if its enough to warrant dumping money into it to make it better
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,872Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited June 18
    I've just got a new Steam update containing the following Note: This update has been re-released on June 17th to fix regressions with network lobby matchmaking and Steam Input configuration loading.

This may help with the MP lobby issue.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,247Registered Users

LestaT said:

And the answer is: yes. more or less ...

Yes and No. Yes the platform is there, Yes, many players switched to other games.
    No to the rest is up to the players. We cant change the bugged source code. I am sure (being in various groups and knowing literally thousands of MP players enjoying even this MP in warhammer) that there is money in this market. Long story short. Give modders the code and we -- the community -- is able to mod a decent MP or charge us for a functioning ladder. Jeez, there are much much larger communities with servers costing real money and not this **** P2P system AND they are for free AND still grow, donation software so to speak.

I do not want to leave the series, and switch to Starcraft2 or the twenty year old Generals (irony). I love the games from CA since i played Shogun One on a power mac. I just want to play a decent MP in 3K and Warhammer 3, if it ever sees the light of day. Take my money, if you want it, CA -- but for heavens sake, find a solution.

I would not suddenly become an MP player, no matter how good the code or ladderboard is. Of course I speak only for myself. The only time I spend quite a time on MP was the Avatar mode in Shogun 2. Probably some odd hybrid MP where I allow some human player instead if AI in NTW. Probably once or twice some quick MP battles in some other TW games but that's basically it.

The only time I got really into MP was Arena, because that game is specifically designed to be a MP game. If the design somehow got incorporated somehow in TW3K or sone future TW games then I might be interested.

So yes, I say it's up to the players. Make up the numbers first then I'm sure that part of TW will evolve.
    i agree its up to the players cause any game its up to what they players want and if there are big enough playerbase that wants something in a game to warrant the devs to add it or make something better.