Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Will Ylthari guardians be added?

2»

Comments

• mothermother Posts: 102Registered Users
    AND MOOOOOAR, COME ON GUYS, HATE IT!!! YOUR HATE MAKES IT STRONGER!!!

• ErminazErminaz Senior Member Las Vegas, Nevada, USAPosts: 5,559Registered Users
    Like or hating AoS, it has nothing to do with the fact it has no place in Warhammer. They are different ip.
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
  • BereaverBereaver Posts: 429Registered Users
    edited June 21
    As was shown by Mother, Age of Sigmar has plenty of awesome models and the hate in this thread is really unjustified. That said, I like other Sylvaneth models more than this one. For example - Tree Revenant, same concept, less weird shapes, or Kurnoth Hunters for more usual Treekin design.
    Ylthari Guardians are supposed to be elite Tree Revenants, but I think they look a little shapeless for my tastes. But still, this is better model than most of what was released for Wood Elves before Age of Sigmar.
    I really dont understand fanboyism for WHFB models either - most of older models are utter crap (look at old Dwarfen/High Elf/Greenskin model range), AoS is like light years ahead in quality. All WHFB really had is a nice grounded artwork, but actual miniatures rarely reflected that.
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Posts: 3,173Registered Users
    Bereaver said:

As was shown by Mother, Age of Sigmar has plenty of awesome models and the hate in this thread is really unjustified. That said, I like other Sylvaneth models more than this one. For example - Tree Revenant, same concept, less weird shapes, or Kurnoth Hunters for more usual Treekin design.
    Ylthari Guardians are supposed to be elite Tree Revenants, but I think they look a little shapeless for my tastes. But still, this is better model than most of what was released for Wood Elves before Age of Sigmar.
    I really dont understand fanboyism for WHFB models either - most of older models are utter crap (look at old Dwarfen/High Elf/Greenskin model range), AoS is like light years ahead in quality. All WHFB really had is a nice grounded artwork, but actual miniatures rarely reflected that.

You're not qualified to tell me or anyone else that our hatred for AoS is unjustified. There are plenty of reasons to dislike it. You're entitled to your own opinions about the models and you can say old Warhammer sucked or whatever, but don't tell me I'm wrong for having the exact opposite opinion.
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,429Registered Users
    Bereaver said:

You say that but Sigmarines are a thing. So is that metal beatle thing, and Sky Dwarfs, and somehow they made slayers bad. Need I go on?

Ultimately this is entirely subjective. It's impossible to have a wrong opinion on how good the models look because it is subjective.

Myself I prefer the more grounded models of WHFB over the high fantasy of AoS. While some of the models are rather good there's a lot of bad and some units have silly concepts. I feel AoS sacrifices substance for style and in the process loses cohesion without gaining any style.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
    The slayers aren't that bad, they look like more greek hoplite rathern than just ravenous barbarians. I mean slayers are a clash on all other dwarfs attributes in general, but they are beloved.

The mini quality is certainly higher, back in the time I used to play confrontation and they were head and shoulder above most WHFB, the tech has certainly progressed since.
    I feel the big issue with AoS aside from how it came to be is those factions are in a multiverse setting and that shows aka there is absolutely no notion they may belong to the same world, sometimes, even the same game. And yeah they don't seem to have found an interesting concept for humans. We have those highly topical creatures and settings : steampunk dwarfs, dark elves, forest elves, daemon, bruttish orks/ogres things, undead creations. But they are not well "countries" per se.

A part of what people liked in WHFB is that is was part "what if culture X was in a fantasy world" and had some common mythical undertone, knights vs monsters and undeads, late medieval humans vs rats and barbarians etc. I feel even that element was waning in the end, no ? There still was an element of low fantasy for those who liked it but GW (and CA I think) deemed this to not be selling. Note that I don't deny WHFB was losing money.

Oh and one last thing, from the models, it shows that AoS is not about regimental battles. Maybe it's more logical and financially viable for a tabletop games. Using large blocks of troops is painstainkly costly, long and awkward.
    TWW is the perfect context for it's renaissance, but will never have the level of customisation and little personnal touches of a TT game. Though mods can do wonders.

ANyway, if I wanted to paint mini again I'd certainly look into their current offer, though I'm not too fond of their palettes.
  • BereaverBereaver Posts: 429Registered Users
    edited June 21
    Ol_Nessie said:

Bereaver said:

You're not qualified to tell me or anyone else that our hatred for AoS is unjustified. There are plenty of reasons to dislike it. You're entitled to your own opinions about the models and you can say old Warhammer sucked or whatever, but don't tell me I'm wrong for having the exact opposite opinion.
    I'm entirely qualified to tell about the quality of models. I'm supportive of all the reasons to hate AoS, but the models' quality is not one of them, it is an objective statement. Sigmarines, Fire Slayers and Beetles may be bad art taste for some, but these ARE high quality models.
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Posts: 3,173Registered Users
    uriak said:

A part of what people liked in WHFB is that is was part "what if culture X was in a fantasy world" and had some common mythical undertone, knights vs monsters and undeads, late medieval humans vs rats and barbarians etc. I feel even that element was waning in the end, no ? There still was an element of low fantasy for those who liked it but GW (and CA I think) deemed this to not be selling. Note that I don't deny WHFB was losing money.

Oh and one last thing, from the models, it shows that AoS is not about regimental battles. Maybe it's more logical and financially viable for a tabletop games. Using large blocks of troops is painstainkly costly, long and awkward.
    TWW is the perfect context for it's renaissance, but will never have the level of customisation and little personnal touches of a TT game. Though mods can do wonders.

ANyway, if I wanted to paint mini again I'd certainly look into their current offer, though I'm not too fond of their palettes.

I had a conversation with a GW Store clerk (when I went to pick up my Grombrindal key) about AoS. Basically he said WHFB was losing money because the staggering cost and time of building and painting an army was turning players off and that's why they were losing money. They weren't attracting new players since it was prohibitively expensive to buy even a small army to play basic games with. With no new players, and with old players probably opting to stick with the armies they already had, GW wasn't selling models which is their prime directive.

The rules and mechanics were also very complex in comparison to their other games. So GW decided that WH should be more like 40k and be more of a skirmish game instead of one based on large set piece battles and that's why they made AoS. For a fraction of the cost of WHFB, a new player could buy some models and start playing immediately. So basically GW said "eff our current customers, we need new blood!" and nuked WHFB from orbit.
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

You know, what makes me sad, is that back in time, the Confrontation line was a sucessful skirmish TT game. Then they tried to launch their regimental rules for large battles.... and went under.

Yes regimental armies when painted are a wonderful sight. And a logistical horror to move, preserve and use in a game. Think about it, what the simple decision of moving unit X then attacking meant in terms of actual time between moving, measuring, counting the rolls, making the rolls, removing losses etc. Stuff that is automated in video games...
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,429Registered Users
    Bereaver said:

Ol_Nessie said:

Bereaver said:

I'm entirely qualified to tell about the quality of models. I'm supportive of all the reasons to hate AoS, but the models' quality is not one of them, it is an objective statement. Sigmarines, Fire Slayers and Beetles may be bad art taste for some, but these ARE high quality models.
    Wrong. If you're assessing the quality of the visual look of the models then you're making a subjective assessment. The only way you can be objective is if you're assessing the physical quality of the casting that can be objective, but that can't be assessed from models like the ones you cited which have gone through the painting process.

It's entirely valid to say that AoS has high quality models, it's also valid to say that they have potato quality models.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Posts: 1,212Registered Users
    Well... This one escalated. I need to wash my eyeballs now.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,657Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Moved, for two reasons. It is not a CA Warhammer game discussion. The derogatory comments in a number of post should probably get it moved to Rants but we'll try Off Topic for now.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Posts: 1,263Registered Users
    edited June 23
    The only stuff from Aos i wouldn't mind finding in TTW are the daemons since they didn't changed after That End Times.

Stuff like pic related are good and could've been in Warhammer Fantasy, that remind me of some very old artworks.

Is that a slaanesh character ? Nice. Nicer than the last iteration I've seen of Daemonettes -_-