Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

No Duplicate Generals

GenShermanGenSherman Senior MemberPosts: 572Registered Users
edited June 19 in Multiplayer
Does anyone else think that a player should only be allowed to field one of each general per player? There is a good variety of leaders to choose from and allowing leader clones within the same army only reduces build and strategy. In general, it just doesn't seem right.

Of course this all is a side issue next to leader balancing. Xu Chu deserves his own thread and analysis. Along with a few abilities, specifically Sima Yi's infinite ability lockdown. I'm sure there are people who have pointed this out in depth already.

I mainly wanted to question leader duplicates for now, and would like to have more reason to consider various leader compositions in romance mode multiplayer.

Comments

• SnipingAchillesSnipingAchilles Senior Member BelgiumPosts: 287Registered Users
    +1
    AggonyAchilles on Steam.

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/snipingachilles
  • GerryGamer7GerryGamer7 Munich, Bavaria | GermanyPosts: 373Registered Users
    edited June 24
    +1

I think this was overseen in the hectic before launch. Ofcourse +1 to that.

ONE Champion
    ONE Strategist
    ONE Vanguard

{or similiar}!

Post edited by GerryGamer7 on
    MAKE RECORDS MODE THE DEFAULT MODE FOR RANKED GAMES. Period.
    No matter how negative i may sound, i love three kingdoms.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,188Registered Users
    For rank battles this should not be allowed. However for normal custom battles I dont mind.
  • SpectorSpector Senior Member Posts: 733Registered Users
    +1
    Playing Total War since the original Shogun
  • IMpracticalLYIMpracticalLY Posts: 36Registered Users
    +1 all the way.

Xu Chu spams are out of control.
  • GenShermanGenSherman Senior Member Posts: 572Registered Users
    edited June 25
    I noticed while doing some multiplayer general vs general test Xu Chu could get up to 28K armor piercing damage.

At that point there were only two other champions that could stay alive for more than a few seconds. All other generals I tested were killed in anywhere from 1 to 3 hits. (This was in duels, outside of duels seemed equally futile.)

This was with their active abilities put to use, so there is little point in using Sima Yi when 3 Xu Chu's is even better. Also as others have said there are no units of equal value that can beat a fully upgraded Xu Chu.

An all archer composition may do something, but I don't think there are enough arrows...really it seems pointless though.

CA might also consider making the cost for upgraded generals higher, so there is more consideration given to upgrade vs additional units.

Post edited by GenSherman on

I noticed while doing some multiplayer general vs general test Xu Chu could get up to 28K armor piercing damage.

At that point there were only two other champions that could stay alive for more than a few seconds. All other generals I tested were killed in anywhere from 1 to 3 hits. (This was in duels, outside of duels seemed equally futile.)

This was with their active abilities put to use, so there is little point in using Sima Yi when 3 Xu Chu's is even better. Also as others have said there are no units of equal value that can beat a fully upgraded Xu Chu.

An all archer composition may do something, but I don't think there are enough arrows...really it seems pointless though.

CA might also consider making the cost for upgraded generals higher, so there is more consideration given to upgrade vs additional units.

You are a Rogue Scholar sir with more patience than I. Down with the Xu Chu spam. Records mode for Quick Battle.
    Haha thanks. I normally don't make a big deal for slight balancing issues, but Xu Chu in this mode is a big outlier X3. I guess I'm a little surprised that more people aren't saying stuff. Back in Shogun 2 multiplayer there were squads of people studying everything. Oh well, hopefully CA does something to mix up the generals better.
    edited June 26
    Another suggestion:
    If CA were to change the cost of generals upgrades, like I suggested earlier, that value does not necessarily have to be the same for all generals.

The reasoning for this is so that mass normalization of all of the generals performance does not have to be done. That way some the leaders of lesser apparent power could be upgraded to a higher tier for less cost than an outright better general. This may improve another layer of choice to make even more army compositions statistically competitive.

For example, even if Xu Chu were to be toned down, I would still expect him to singularly perform better than most other generals, just by a much lesser degree than currently. However another general that could never beat him one on one or even with another unit of troops, could be brought onto an expense balance by means of being cheaper to upgrade.

It's just an idea, and it would take some work to strike a decent balance. Keeping the considerations of unit power, cost, numbers, and utility as dynamic as possible tends to lead to good total war multiplayer game in my opinion.
    Post edited by GenSherman on
  • GapingHoleGapingHole Posts: 5Registered Users
    I wanted to start a thread to say the same thing a while ago ... Xu Chu in particular is a pain in the ass.

+1
  • GerryGamer7GerryGamer7 Munich, Bavaria | GermanyPosts: 373Registered Users

Another suggestion:
    If CA were to change the cost of generals upgrades, like I suggested earlier, that value does not necessarily have to be the same for all generals.

The reasoning for this is so that mass normalization of all of the generals performance does not have to be done. That way some the leaders of lesser apparent power could be upgraded to a higher tier for less cost than an outright better general. This may improve another layer of choice to make even more army compositions statistically competitive.

For example, even if Xu Chu were to be toned down, I would still expect him to singularly perform better than most other generals, just by a much lesser degree than currently. However another general that could never beat him one on one or even with another unit of troops, could be brought onto an expense balance by means of being cheaper to upgrade.

It's just an idea, and it would take some work to strike a decent balance. Keeping the considerations of unit power, cost, numbers, and utility as dynamic as possible tends to lead to good total war multiplayer game in my opinion.

Good ideas without question. I have got the impression that CA wants to keep ranked in "hero mode", because chinese players love their heroes oh so much. No big deal. Before your good ideas it would be mandatory to change the obvious mistake that it is possible to choose three Xu Chus. Or three Lü Bus. Imagine you could take three Lord Kroaks or three Alarielles, would be pretty stupid and unbeatable as well, but as usual radio silence on CA s part can mean they do not care or sth else, sadly we just do not know ...

MAKE RECORDS MODE THE DEFAULT MODE FOR RANKED GAMES. Period.
    No matter how negative i may sound, i love three kingdoms.
    This issue has gone unaddressed since the beginning of launch. They are ignoring it and moderators are ignoring or closing threads that go to deep into the issue. Multiplayer/ranked is broken and campaigns bug out before I can finish them. This is scum of the earth behaviour. Wasted $80