Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Most under appreciated unit

Batcow123Batcow123 Posts: 28Registered Users
Just a question of what unit in the game do you feel is under appreciated and you don't see used enough. Could be either a normal unit or a ror, although wouldnt be thinking about Lords or heroes.

Mine would be ork boar boyz and boar boyz in general, great ap and damage output and a gs Cavalry army can be really fun to play. Love them against dwarfs and have racked over 100 kills before against dwarfs.

Comments

• uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
    I really liked to use Malagor. He's got a bad rep because of the lack of mount and fly rules, but he can pile one many leadership debuggs and WiM making mass routs a very good tactics.

Gyros for me too. Demanding quite a bit of micro but filling many gaps of the dwarf roster. Sure their use fall off against heavy armored armies but that's why gyrobombers were devised.
  • Firkraag888Firkraag888 Posts: 1,428Registered Users
    Treekin.

Imo the most powerful infantry unit in campaign when playing as durthu. You can stack all defensive stats super high plus they get a 20% wardsave.

They literally dont die. At all. They dont kill fast but they dont have to because thats whats welf archers are for.
  • Lin_HuichiLin_Huichi Posts: 265Registered Users

Treekin.

Imo the most powerful infantry unit in campaign when playing as durthu. You can stack all defensive stats super high plus they get a 20% wardsave.

They literally dont die. At all. They dont kill fast but they dont have to because thats whats welf archers are for.

Agreed. Not just that during forest battles they can get even more ward save via branchwraiths, I had mine at 45% with over 60 defence. Add 20% physical resistance base and before spell buffs you are already near the resist cap.
  • Firkraag888Firkraag888 Posts: 1,428Registered Users
    edited June 20

Treekin.

Agreed. Not just that during forest battles they can get even more ward save via branchwraiths, I had mine at 45% with over 60 defence. Add 20% physical resistance base and before spell buffs you are already near the resist cap.
    Plus autoresolve really loves treekin.
    They arent very useful in seige battles though unfortunately because they cant climb walls and i find that if i place them at gate entrances they just get stuck there because they are so slow.

But yeah on land battles they are second to none in terms of survivability
  • TalmoreanTalmorean Posts: 1,430Registered Users
    Warhounds. They are so cheap and so fast that you can fire and forget them to harass artillery and archers.
  • FifthOfSpaghettiFifthOfSpaghetti Posts: 1,629Registered Users
    Bats 🦇. For a vampire army shutting down ranges can be so important. Using bats really ties them up long enough for you to do what you need to
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 2,819Registered Users
    Sepulchral Stalkers. They are phenomenal at back-line control if properly used.
  • Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 3,036Registered Users
    I would have saod Lizard Cav but freaking several years after I made mention people are finally all aboard the cold one pain train.

Would have said Witch Elves but tournament players backed up that claim right from the get go.

The games in a really good spot right now, no unit really sneaks under the radar anymore. Gonna have to go with Razorgor Herds. Everyone wants to roll Centigors, gotta have that fatigue immunity, but Razorgors are by far one of the most lethal flankers in the Beastmen repertoire. You never see them used, but if they reach archers or the back of any unit their astronomical AP for how cheap they are means very little wont melt before them. Just dont throw them head on against anything. Made of tissue paper.
  • WojmirVonCarsteinWojmirVonCarstein Posts: 691Registered Users
    Gobbo big boss hero.

This guy costs 300 points. For that you get a silver shield and very small size making him a tank vs missile fire from the front.

He has pretty good melee stats 48 MA, 48MD and when "embedded" in an infantry unit can help boost the damage output and provides a leadership aura.

He is also frequently the target of gooning, which is great because the opponent will dedicate a few thousand gold worth of units in trying to take out 300g.

• FungusHoundFungusHound Posts: 2,251Registered Users
    Talmorean said:

Warhounds. They are so cheap and so fast that you can fire and forget them to harass artillery and archers.

I will get behind that. I love using Warhounds. They always reach Gold chevrons so fast from all the mopping up
  • SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Posts: 402Registered Users
    It's hard to say, though I think the humble skink cohort with javelins is my pick. I almost always carry at least 4 of them in a lizardman army. Those javelins do work, absolutely wrecking enemy skirmishers. They provide some much needed flank protection from enemy missile units, they absorb enemy missile fire quite well, and with a few buffs are more than competent at holding the line. However, I still feel that they shine most brightly as a flanker that provides support to your Saurus. Those poisoned javelins fired into the backs of enemy targets make infantry engagements hilariously one sided.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,665Registered Users
    Thunderers. So effective.
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,086Registered Users
    bog standard High Elf Archer.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,212Registered Users
    Slayers.

I'm always slightly annoyed when I hear someone talking crap about them. Anti-large, fast moving, unbreakable damage dealers? Those half-naked midgets can pack a serious punch IF you use them correctly. I always rake 100-300 kills per battle with them. Even more with Ungrim, every army that I face ends up losing more than 90% of their soldiers.
    Fossoway said:

Slayers.

I'm always slightly annoyed when I hear someone talking crap about them. Anti-large, fast moving, unbreakable damage dealers? Those half-naked midgets can pack a serious punch IF you use them correctly. I always rake 100-300 kills per battle with them. Even more with Ungrim, every army that I face ends up losing more than 90% of their soldiers.

They're essential for post-battle running down of fleeing troops.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,665Registered Users

Fossoway said:

Slayers.

There are two types of dawi in this world. Those run and those who gun.
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.

Fossoway said:

Slayers.

I've tried both, and in my experience Slayers are far more effective at cleaning up a battlefield than a gun line is. If you just try to shoot down all those fleeing Goblins, odds are the next turn the army you just defeated is going to get away with way too many units intact, and then it's going to replenish them and come right back at you.

Fossoway said:

Slayers.

This is why we need Goat Cavalry like Battle of 5 Armies Extended edition :D
  • SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Posts: 402Registered Users
    Talmorean said:

Fossoway said:

Slayers.

Don't you bring that blasphemy on to these forums. This is a respectable place.
    Talmorean said:

Fossoway said:

Slayers.

There's not such thing in the lore. This is Warhammer, not the Hobbit or World of Warcraft.
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Posts: 3,056Registered Users
    Fossoway said:

Talmorean said:

Fossoway said:

Slayers.

There's not such thing in the lore. This is Warhammer, not the Hobbit or World of Warcraft.
    there do not exist in Middle earth either they just a film invention

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • Godefroy_de_BouillonGodefroy_de_Bouillon Posts: 1,744Registered Users
    edited June 20
    Fossoway said:

Slayers.

who says they're bad? Lol they're amazing unit.
    Post edited by Godefroy_de_Bouillon on

Fossoway said:

Slayers.

who says their bad? Lol Their're amazing unit.
    Many people. Some streamers/youtubers, for a start. It makes me shake my head in disapproval.
  • Ingr8Ingr8 Posts: 242Registered Users
    Zombies... so OP!

Watching them tear apart a regiment of Demigryph knights or pull a Star Dragon straight out of the sky... it never gets old...

Yes, I damn well would!
    Fossoway said:

Talmorean said:

Fossoway said:

Slayers.

Lighten up. It was being playful.
  • Theo91Theo91 Posts: 973Registered Users
    Interesting thread

I would go fellbats. So useful at shutting down backline
  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
    You know stuff in WH never existed, until GW said it did. We could have dwarfs golems and stuff. But yeah maybe the lack of cav wasn't as egregious to them in the TT that it is now. Plus there is little lore that would explain it, they do have rangers and gyro, aka dwarfs who live mostly outdoors and other ready to ride in dangerous contraption.

But slayers as a mopping up units ? . That runs so against their lore it's... a grudgin'.
  • NinjipplesNinjipples Posts: 679Registered Users
    I agree with alot of the opinions here. For dawi I 100% would say slayers. I have heard alot of criticisms over time about slayers (all true to varying degrees); they melt to shooting, they get butchered in autoresolve, they die if used as a frontline unit, blah blah blah...

Slayers are great anti-large, are unbreakable and more importantly, are pure joy to run down enemy units with, I always get 100-400 kills with my slayers when they are used properly against a decent sized army. Love them.

For WE, 100% agree on treekin. People say they are too slow or that they don't kill stuff very efficiently, but tell you what... they don't die and the front lines never break. I always have at least 4 in every late game army. Love them.

For Chaos/VP/VC 100% agree on warhounds. They are fantastic, fast and efficient.
  • LamentationsLamentations Posts: 100Registered Users
    edited June 20
    So norsca and beastmen war hounds don’t make the cut? ; p I would say greenskin chariots are under appreciated.
  • HoneyBunHoneyBun Senior Member Posts: 4,465Registered Users
    Direwolves

Always

They are making an FPS. Who knew a company could have a mid-life crisis ...