Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Grace interview, more community involvement

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,344Registered Users

I'm relaxed on it all. I'm quite content to wait for news till there's news.

I don't think "the community" is in uproar either. If anything it's trending away from that. There's parts that are annoyed, but this is the internet so that's normal and okay.

Agreed, CA has not done a thing that's worth getting worked up over. Lack of news about a product is not a fault, I'm exposed to enough marketing in my day-to-day life that I'm not craving more, and that's all this stuff is. Community engagement, hints, timelines, trailers, it's all just marketing to get you interested in a product. Me, I'm already interested in the product and do not need to have my interest continuously re-stoked.

The whole thing just seems bizarre to me. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming film The Lighthouse by Robert Eggers but I'm not demanding A24 release a timeline on when it's coming out or when we'll get our first look at it. It'll get here when it gets here. Why should I approach a video game any differently? My relationship with CA is the same: they produce a product, I look it over and decide if it's worth my time and money or if it isn't. End of relationship.
    I feel the same.

I actively avoid marketing for most things. I'd like to know what CA plan to release far in advance, and when it's time to hype it I enjoy learning about it, but anything between that is really just puffery. I don't really see the need for CA Staff to be active on the forums or for them to state the obvious that they're working on the game. It'd be nice and all but I know they're working on the game.

I'm quite content for the forum to trundle along being the forum without interaction from CA unless it's time to sell stuff. I get the view of wanting more interaction, but it doesn't fuss me much. I just want to be told stuff when there's stuff to be told.
    But you do understand of course that others clearly feel differently; that CA should be more engaged, especially when they are blowing their own trumpet about it.
    As I said above "I get the view of wanting more interaction".
    ..And how that interacts with the fact that there is an article posted at the start of the thread where CA themselves make an issue of it and not in the future-tense. If they say one thing but do another, it's more than just a case of some people being happy with things as they are and others wanting something else.

It's not enough that their engagement be a periodic dumping of news and characterising the stance of 'more engagement please' as simply wanting that more frequently can be percieved as belittling. I for one have lots of issues with Total War at the moment, some of which are shared by others, but CA never engages. Not simply with me, but those issues completely.
    Not really.

This is exactly about some people being unhappy with CA's communication.

As I said I'm quite content for the forum to roll along being the forum without interaction from CA unless it's time to sell stuff. I'd prefer to get more transparent communication but I don't need more of it.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • TotalBorehammerTotalBorehammer Posts: 852Registered Users
    edited June 27

I don't think "the community" is in uproar either. If anything it's trending away from that. There's parts that are annoyed, but this is the internet so that's normal and okay.

Agreed, CA has not done a thing that's worth getting worked up over. Lack of news about a product is not a fault, I'm exposed to enough marketing in my day-to-day life that I'm not craving more, and that's all this stuff is. Community engagement, hints, timelines, trailers, it's all just marketing to get you interested in a product. Me, I'm already interested in the product and do not need to have my interest continuously re-stoked.

The whole thing just seems bizarre to me. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming film The Lighthouse by Robert Eggers but I'm not demanding A24 release a timeline on when it's coming out or when we'll get our first look at it. It'll get here when it gets here. Why should I approach a video game any differently? My relationship with CA is the same: they produce a product, I look it over and decide if it's worth my time and money or if it isn't. End of relationship.
    I feel the same.

I actively avoid marketing for most things. I'd like to know what CA plan to release far in advance, and when it's time to hype it I enjoy learning about it, but anything between that is really just puffery. I don't really see the need for CA Staff to be active on the forums or for them to state the obvious that they're working on the game. It'd be nice and all but I know they're working on the game.

I'm quite content for the forum to trundle along being the forum without interaction from CA unless it's time to sell stuff. I get the view of wanting more interaction, but it doesn't fuss me much. I just want to be told stuff when there's stuff to be told.
    But you do understand of course that others clearly feel differently; that CA should be more engaged, especially when they are blowing their own trumpet about it.
    ..And how that interacts with the fact that there is an article posted at the start of the thread where CA themselves make an issue of it and not in the future-tense. If they say one thing but do another, it's more than just a case of some people being happy with things as they are and others wanting something else.

It's not enough that their engagement be a periodic dumping of news and characterising the stance of 'more engagement please' as simply wanting that more frequently can be percieved as belittling. I for one have lots of issues with Total War at the moment, some of which are shared by others, but CA never engages. Not simply with me, but those issues completely.
    Not really.

As I said I'm quite content for the forum to roll along being the forum without interaction from CA unless it's time to sell stuff. I'd prefer to get more transparent communication but I don't need more of it.
    Thanks VG, its really useful and helpful to everyone to know that you do not need any interaction or information on the forums from the company making our favourite games. We all thank you from the bottom of our hearts for deigning to share this top info with us.

I and all the other sane and rational members look forward to your next many months of gaslighting (supported of course by your flagging and deletion of any comment you happen to disagree with) when any valid criticism is raised. Joy.
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)
  • ReeksReeks Posts: 1,930Registered Users
    I for one would love CA to completely drop the current way of interacting with their community witch is in these days mostly knee jerk reactions to community outrage and blatant marketing a short while before every new release.

I want them to interact with us on a whole new level, i want them to actually include us in the process of making the content we love and enjoy and that mean dropping the "secrecy for the sake of marketing" approach they use currently

i wish for them to release updates to their current project 2-4 times a month let me throw you some examples:

Week 1: Announcing a faction/race or LL from the upcoming release

Week 2: Do another disgusting cake stream

Week 3: Announce a unit/Hero from the upcoming release

Week 4:Do another disgusting cake stream

Week 5: Showcase artwork from Race/Faction/LL/Hero or a Unit

Week 6: Do another disgusting cake stream

Week 7: Throw a few lore tidbits from Race/Faction/LL/Hero or a Unit

Week 8: Do another disgusting cake stream

Week 9: Showcase animations from Race/Faction/LL/Hero or a Unit

Week 10: Do another disgusting cake stream

Week 11: Showcase a new mechanic

Week 12: Do another disgusting cake stream

Week 13: Explain the reasoning behind why the mechanic/Race/Faction/LL/Hero or a Unit were made the way it was

Week 14: Bring back @CA_Whelan in a Skaven suit......And force him to eat disgusting cake

And so on and so on.

It´s beyond me that people are actually fine with how CA communicates currently.......Don´t you people ever get tired of blatant marketing up to a new release and then months of radio silence after?....I for one are sick and tired of it
  • wunderb0rwunderb0r Junior Member Posts: 415Registered Users
    Reeks said:

I for one would love CA to completely drop the current way of interacting with their community witch is in these days mostly knee jerk reactions to community outrage and blatant marketing a short while before every new release.

I want them to interact with us on a whole new level, i want them to actually include us in the process of making the content we love and enjoy and that mean dropping the "secrecy for the sake of marketing" approach they use currently

i wish for them to release updates to their current project 2-4 times a month let me throw you some examples:

Week 13: Explain the reasoning behind why the mechanic/Race/Faction/LL/Hero or a Unit were made the way it was

Week 14: Bring back @CA_Whelan in a Skaven suit......And force him to eat disgusting cake

And so on and so on.

It´s beyond me that people are actually fine with how CA communicates currently.......Don´t you people ever get tired of blatant marketing up to a new release and then months of radio silence after?....I for one are sick and tired of it

that can easily backfire, we know to well what to much hype can cause..
    wunderb0r said:

Reeks said:

And so on and so on.

that can easily backfire, we know to well what to much hype can cause..
    Everything can backfire, but there is a vast difference about CA´s horrendous Hint´s like "The Old Friend and Kharibdyss" and what i´m suggesting, the first way is bound to backfire considering they were very poorly made, the second one is a sure way to get the majority of the community to feel engaged and included.
    edited June 27
    @TotalBorehammer K.
    Reeks said:

And so on and so on.

I'd go the other direction. Instead of pacing information out I'd like it in big chunks. Ideally on release of the game (or before) they'd tell us what's coming in what order. So on day 1 of TWW2 we'd know up to the 2nd LP what was coming and to the detail of the races involved. Then 4 Weeks before they'd give us a big lump of information of everything in the pack.

I'm fine with it because whatever communication they do is marketing. What you propose is marketing as much as what they're doing now. I care about information regarding what they're selling. That's the marketing I want, information. Fluff doesn't interest me. It's why I liked this LP. Didn't tease that much (they did let us know slightly subtly when it was announcing) no unit added a month later.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 6,456Registered Users
    It's no small testament to the fact that "I'll believe it when I see it" that I can't be bothered to read the Grace thingey. CA are doing many things wonderfully right but this community engagement hullabaloo isn't one of them. But it's nothing new. I struggle to remember a time when this wasn't the case.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • adjungadjung Posts: 200Registered Users
    SiWI said:

adjung said:

I feel the same.

Not really.

Thanks VG, its really useful and helpful to everyone to know that you do not need any interaction or information on the forums from the company making our favourite games. We all thank you from the bottom of our hearts for deigning to share this top info with us.

I and all the other sane and rational members look forward to your next many months of gaslighting (supported of course by your flagging and deletion of any comment you happen to disagree with) when any valid criticism is raised. Joy.
    Yeah, repeatedly posting "i'm happy with everything as is" will get us nowhere, it undermines any valid criticism. One can have that opinion, but repeating it like a mantra only shows CA that they are perfectly right in neglecting their promised Beta update and any other communication regarding Warhammer.
    So its fine when people say they opinion if they agree with you but better to shut up if not? nice to know.
    Its not as if the your side doesn't like mantras.
    I wrote "One can have that opinion". But it is also okay to call people out for being notoriously against criticism by repeatedly stating how he/she is fine with everything. Being acceptable of everything, even of glaring lack of communication on CA's part, can be questioned, as everything else can.

Also, I don't consider myself on a "side".

Forward onto Slaughter.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,632Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Several personal comment posts deleted.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 4,937Registered Users
    Folks, folks... Warhammer is dead in the water because there is a thing called 3K. We had anticipated it, we knew it. Probably the game will be for all intents and purposes abandoned for six months or so. It's useless to dwell on it, CA isn't going to change.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,220Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

Folks, folks... Warhammer is dead in the water because there is a thing called 3K. We had anticipated it, we knew it. Probably the game will be for all intents and purposes abandoned for six months or so. It's useless to dwell on it, CA isn't going to change.

you "always" "knew" that it was always abandoned...
    and if a game that will get DLC is abandoned...
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,220Registered Users
    adjung said:

SiWI said:

adjung said:

I feel the same.

Not really.

Yeah, repeatedly posting "i'm happy with everything as is" will get us nowhere, it undermines any valid criticism. One can have that opinion, but repeating it like a mantra only shows CA that they are perfectly right in neglecting their promised Beta update and any other communication regarding Warhammer.
    So its fine when people say they opinion if they agree with you but better to shut up if not? nice to know.
    Its not as if the your side doesn't like mantras.
    I wrote "One can have that opinion". But it is also okay to call people out for being notoriously against criticism by repeatedly stating how he/she is fine with everything. Being acceptable of everything, even of glaring lack of communication on CA's part, can be questioned, as everything else can.

Also, I don't consider myself on a "side".
    So you can have the opinion just don't say it? How generous of you.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
    Xenos7 said:

Eh, I reckon by September we'll either have the next LP. 3K's released and its had its first couple of patches so it's just DLC with the accompanying patches to release. We got a patch last month, I imagine that's the starting point for the DLC, so 3-4 months after that would be about right, and they've averaged roughly 4.75 months between DLC.

• chrissher7chrissher7 Junior Member Posts: 2,038Registered Users

Xenos7 said:

Eh, I reckon by September we'll either have the next LP. 3K's released and its had its first couple of patches so it's just DLC with the accompanying patches to release. We got a patch last month, I imagine that's the starting point for the DLC, so 3-4 months after that would be about right, and they've averaged roughly 4.75 months between DLC.

Probably reckon then is the latest and a potential for before it depends on if they release first proper threekingdoms dlc before it honestly.

@SiWI Frankly I find it shrug worthy. You're right in that it's inherently flawed, but mostly shrug.

@chrissher7 You'd imagine that 3K would take a months window. LP's only take up two weeks of hype. So there's a lot of space for it.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 20,597Registered Users
    edited June 27

The unfortunate thing is that CA doesn't really have a real reason to engage with dissenters like they should. The games sell well enough that they can just ignore those that have quality improvement suggestions. Even ToB flopped and instead of working with the community to understand that and improve they basically just dropkicked it and barely acknowledge it now. Certainly no DLC like what was originally talked about as possible.

See, stuff like this makes me really angry because that's total BS, a 100% reverse of what actually went down with ToB.
    For most of the patches, CA was actually engaging the community quite heavily and directly, asking them for suggestions and then making comments on whether certain ideas were workable or not. Heck, an idea I had actually found its way into the game after a dev came and responded positively on it (the initial grace period between East Anglia and Wessex for those who are interested). ToB as it is now is quite different from what it was at launch and that's the result of CA working closely together with the players. Rome2 had the same thing happen for the last few patches when CA Sofia had taken over the reins for the game.

This was actually a very laudable example of community interaction but here you come and poop on it because you don't know better and couldn't be bothered to actually research what you were commenting on. Yeah, would make me not want to bother interacting much either.

• FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 4,133Registered Users

The unfortunate thing is that CA doesn't really have a real reason to engage with dissenters like they should. The games sell well enough that they can just ignore those that have quality improvement suggestions. Even ToB flopped and instead of working with the community to understand that and improve they basically just dropkicked it and barely acknowledge it now. Certainly no DLC like what was originally talked about as possible.

See, stuff like this makes me really angry because that's total BS, a 100% reverse of what actually went down with ToB.
    For most of the patches, CA was actually engaging the community quite heavily and directly, asking them for suggestions and then making comments on whether certain ideas were workable or not. Heck, an idea I had actually found its way into the game after a dev came and responded positively on it (the initial grace period between East Anglia and Wessex for those who are interested). ToB as it is now is quite different from what it was at launch and that's the result of CA working closely together with the players. Rome2 had the same thing happen for the last few patches when CA Sofia had taken over the reins for the game.

This was actually a very laudable example of community interaction but here you come and poop on it because you don't know better and couldn't be bothered to actually research what you were commenting on. Yeah, would make me not want to bother interacting much either.

And that's great that you have a different opinion. I, however, don't think 3 patches and any potential DLC cancelled is some kind of tremendous support for a game. That doesn't mean they left it as a worse game then when it launched, but I don't see that as strong support.
    Later
  • ArecBalrinArecBalrin Posts: 1,472Registered Users
    Things I'd like CA to answer:
    1. Do they think missile-trails in recent games look better than the method for accentuating arrows in Shogun 2?
    2. How come elevation does not help missiles in battles?(Yes, I tested it)
    3. Is it better that many clicks are required to execute few decisions rather than fewer clicks affecting many decisions?
    4. Is it right that the AI knows our exact campaign move-range for each army stance, but we only know range for stances that armies are currently in?
    5. Why are the unit models in Warhammer so smol?
    6. I think that I was able to win in older TW games by role-playing, copying tactics that worked in real-life. Does CA there should be more tactical options than flanking, hammer and anvil, flanking, cycle-charge, flanking, send every unit to engage simultaneously and flanking?
    7. What happened to the 'impact', the visual-audio feedback of bows? In Medieval 2 and Shogun 2, the arrows thunder as they are released and the archers do so in synchronised way for 'lead in the air'. The impact when they hit is gone too. Why was this changed?
    And much, much more. But I have no hope of ever getting answers because of the standards of engagement CA employ currently. Players are left speculating unhelpfully.
  • RomeoRejectRomeoReject Posts: 516Registered Users
    Reeks said:

And so on and so on.

OK, just for the record, I'm 100% in favour of more communication, it's CA's worst property by a country mile.

But that does not mean I want to see less cake streams.

Reeks said:

And so on and so on.

OK, just for the record, I'm 100% in favour of more communication, it's CA's worst property by a country mile.

But that does not mean I want to see less cake streams.
    Nonono you misunderstand fellow cake consumer....I wan´t more cake streams....The one we had so far is the stuff of legends......One could practically hear Nurgle and Slaanesh laughing in the background as one of two reactions to the cakes was assured.....Either pure pleasure or the knowledge that a trip to the local hospital to get purged from pestilence was required!

#MoreCakeStreamsToThePublicThanks
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 968Registered Users

Talmorean said:

Free XP and money soon :D
    Some factions have ridiculous rebels from turn one though, and they grow pretty fast and have veterans.
  • NopeacejustwarNopeacejustwar Posts: 849Registered Users
    Talmorean said:

They are farming us for exp!

Yes I agree with most on this thread some news monthly would be good enough to quell curiosity and give us something to speculate on. These forms survive on speculation and gives the forum something to engage about other as has/is happening people just end up attacking each other or CA as there’s nothing else to talk about!
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,081Registered Users

1. Do they think missile-trails in recent games look better than the method for accentuating arrows in Shogun 2?
    3. Is it better that many clicks are required to execute few decisions rather than fewer clicks affecting many decisions?
    4. Is it right that the AI knows our exact campaign move-range for each army stance, but we only know range for stances that armies are currently in?
    6. I think that I was able to win in older TW games by role-playing, copying tactics that worked in real-life. Does CA there should be more tactical options than flanking, hammer and anvil, flanking, cycle-charge, flanking, send every unit to engage simultaneously and flanking?
    7. What happened to the 'impact', the visual-audio feedback of bows? In Medieval 2 and Shogun 2, the arrows thunder as they are released and the archers do so in synchronised way for 'lead in the air'. The impact when they hit is gone too. Why was this changed?
    And much, much more. But I have no hope of ever getting answers because of the standards of engagement CA employ currently. Players are left speculating unhelpfully.
    1. Yes they do, that's why they did it.
    2. They give a moral bonus for melee and allow gunpowder units to fire overhead which tactically is very useful. They changed it because there were complaints about archer bonuses since M2.
    3. It depends what you're doing, this would be too subjective for CA to answer.
    4. The AI needs an advantage.. as it isn't human.
    5. smol..
    6. The extra abilities of units mean the Youtubers who play it almost professionally have stated many times that battle strategies are deep.
    7. 3K missiles hit hard like Shogun 2 and the impact of arrows is fine.

You can ask these questions but as said many times, a very specific point of view will get lost in the noise. It's not that they don't engage, they just don't specifically engage in what you want.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 20,597Registered Users

And that's great that you have a different opinion. I, however, don't think 3 patches and any potential DLC cancelled is some kind of tremendous support for a game. That doesn't mean they left it as a worse game then when it launched, but I don't see that as strong support.
    Why should they cancel DLC they never promised? It's a side-game so of course its lifecycle would be shorter and it was from the beginning portrayed as such. Also, this is not an opinion, this is you telling flat untruths. They worked closely with the community when it came to shaping ToB, something they did not even once for Warhammer. You were wrong on that account, period.

• ArecBalrinArecBalrin Posts: 1,472Registered Users

2. They give a moral bonus for melee and allow gunpowder units to fire overhead which tactically is very useful. They changed it because there were complaints about archer bonuses since M2.
    5. smol..
    6. The extra abilities of units mean the Youtubers who play it almost professionally have stated many times that battle strategies are deep.

You can ask these questions but as said many times, a very specific point of view will get lost in the noise. It's not that they don't engage, they just don't specifically engage in what you want.
    As I said: it's left to player speculation, which is unhelpful. Nothing can actually come of me and you talking about these points.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,081Registered Users

5. smol..

As I said: it's left to player speculation, which is unhelpful. Nothing can actually come of me and you talking about these points.
    If a majority of people make a reasonable request, it can happen. Under Empire; more substantial DLCs; change of VC AI etc. They do listen, but they can't do every single suggestion.
  • alex33alex33 Posts: 1,055Registered Users
    CA has pretty much dissapeared from here some time ago. if nobody actually ever talks to us or reacts to us its no wonder that people talk themselves into a frenzy. If I just tease something incredibly vague and let people of all colours speculate like madman for months and let them hype themselves up to 11 without any communication its no wonder that stuff like the Old Friend debakle happens. I just want atleast someone here to talk with us its their OFFICIAL forum for Asuryans sake. IMHO they should really work on their communication, these constant periods of silence are just unnecessary and extremly frustrating.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,632Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Thread is no longer serving any useful purpose, and was only tenuously connected to Warhammer in the first place. The few, very few legitimate concerns and voices of reason have been drowned by the personal animosity being expressed toward Creative Assembly, it's staff, and other members positing their comment.

Moved to Rants.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    ChrisTW said:

So diverse in stances....

One moves on the background fairly content
    One expects more of a family style, warmth maybe
    Another doesn't give a rat's ass about how and why as long as faults are admitted in public..

You can't say that people are entirely wrong unless ofcourse blackmailing or cursing seems part of their routine in search for information

Pretty much. Any opinion presented reasonably is valid.

Everyone speaks their own version of whichever language they're using. Relevant to this messages are interpreted differently by everyone, so of course there's going to be variation in the desired messages.