Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

After Total Warhammer 3

RomeoRejectRomeoReject Posts: 516Registered Users
I’m sure everyone has their own idea about what CA’s Fantasy team should do after Warhammer Fantasy – the most common picks being Warhammer 40,000, which I’m also 100% on board with, and Lord of the Rings, which I couldn’t be less interested in. However, what other universes would you like to see covered by the team? I'm not going to get in to those two ones, because they've already had 3492383504 other people give their own idea on how to do those two.

I’ve got a few of my own picks below, but put yours in to the thread as well! Also, remember people have different tastes, don’t be jerks to each other.

Total War: Borderlands.

Might as well start this out on a weird note. Total War: Borderlands would pit the various corporations and bandit clans against each other in both warfare, and a race to be the dominant force on Pandora. In terms of gameplay, obviously there’d be a much, much larger focus on ranged combat, and economics. Players would select a Corporation (Atlas, Hyperion, Dahl, Tediore, Torgue, Maliwan, Vladof, S&S Munitions, Jakobs, Anshin, Pangolin) or Bandit Clan (Bandits, Scavs, Raiders, Rats), while the wildlife and Eridians would be non-playable enemy factions exclusively. The objective for a Corporation would be to put all your competition out of business, either by taking them out of the map entirely, or having enough control of the market to force them to bankruptcy. As a Bandit, your objective would be simpler in a “take over everything” way.
R&D would be a focal point for every faction, as you “level up” and improve your weapons, which would make squads naturally better, and allow you to craft better hero gear for your Lords and Heroes, in addition to generating more money for your gear on the market (Improving income and giving you more leverage for pushing out rival Corporations).
Faction’s units would be based either as they appear in the games (Crimson Lance for Atlas, Robots for Hyperion, Mercenaries for Dahl), or created based around the general theme of the manufacturer (Maliwan units being glass cannons, Vladof units being revolutionaries, Jakobs being cowboys, etc). While melee combat would still be a thing (Especially in the case of Bandits and wildlife), ranged combat would be the bigger aspect, so things like an accuracy stat and fire rate would have to be given more focus.
The world of Pandora itself would have Wildlife threats that threaten certain regions (Skags, Bullymongs, etc) or Eridians in high-value areas like Vaults. In the name of simplicity, the moon and Hyperion base would both be left off the map.

Total War: Nirn/Elder Scrolls

Some of you might be wondering why I axed Lord of the Rings if I’m OK with Elder Scrolls. And for that, I’d say “Because Nirn is a way weirder and more interesting world-space”. Step one would be separating out the various races and provinces and then pitting them all against eachother. Obviously the “core ten” would be included (Morrowind/Dark Elves, Cyrodiil/Imperials, Black Marsh/Argonians, Valenwood/Wood Elves, Orsinium/Orsimer, Hammerfell/Red Guards, Elsweyr/Khajit, Skyrim/Nords, High Rock/Bretons, Summerset Isles/High Elves) either at launch, or as DLC, and perhaps some of the “non-core” factions could be as DLC down the road (Daedra, Dwemer, Ice Elves, Undead) and perhaps factions that have never made an appearance (Necromancers, Tsaesci, Akavari, Ayleid, etc). This wouldn’t really add anything amazing from a gameplay perspective, but come on: The world is super fun.
In terms of gameplay, this would be almost a perfect ripoff of Total Warhammer: Asymmetric factions, vaguely high fantasy style, full of magic and whatnot.
One big change I would argue for against Total Warhammer is visible armour and weapons. While Warhammer units have a distinct style that’s based upon the unit itself, the Elder Scrolls is all about customizing your style. Different armour sets and weapon sets on Lords and Heroes should actually change their looks.
One challenge to overcome would be the time frame – Each Elder Scrolls game are set decades apart, if not centuries. To overcome this, either some sort of magical excuse could be used, though frankly, the in-game lore already provides an answer to the dilemma, as time travel shenanigans are already responsible for a few plot points throughout the series.

What would you like to see them handle after TWW3?

Comments

• FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 4,133Registered Users
    Honestly,

If we're talking about keeping this "genre" like Fantasy/Sci-Fi then I'd go with them making up their own IP. It would remove so many of the barriers that they could potentially have with any licensed work that would place restrictions on things they can and can't do. I'd rather see what they could come up with unfettered.

Of course, the problem there is that they then down have the name brand appeal that might draw in new users so I get that desire. If I had to pick, I'd say go Elder Scrolls. I'd rock an army of Khajit tearing claws through some stupid Bretons.
    Later
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Posts: 912Registered Users
    Total War: Game of Thrones

Total War: Witcher

Total War: Star Wars

These would all be epic as hell.

But realistically, I think 40K has a real shot. Same with Age of Sigmar.
  • amon_chakaiamon_chakai Posts: 143Registered Users
    edited July 5
    For me, there is no "after Warhammer 3". It's probably the last game i'll ever play.... forever.
  • Grimgor_the_CAkeGrimgor_the_CAke Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    Easy. Endless Total War
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,225Registered Users
    Very unlikely to get any of those because the IP belongs to someone else, and I seriously doubt they'd be willing to give it to CA. At least Games Workshop is probably very satisfied with their current partnership, and since Dawn of War 3 was a huge flop, the chances of a Total War Warhammer 40k is much higher.

My personal choice would be something like Age of Mythology, where they combine mythologic creatures with historical units.
  • SephlockSephlock Posts: 1,650Registered Users
    Total War: 40k.

Then Total War: Sigmarines
    #JusticeForUshoran #RuneGolems #RuneGuardians #ShardDragons #Thunderbarges #Stormfiends #BigMonsters #MoreDakka
  • RomeoRejectRomeoReject Posts: 516Registered Users

Easy. Endless Total War

Oh my god, can't believe I didn't think of that. That would be siiiiiiick.

I'd considered Mass Effect on there too (As BioWare seems to have mangled the IP pretty badly), but didn't know what it would offer over and above something like Borderlands.

And yeah, I think most people expect 40K, I'm also in that camp. Still, would be nice to think of "what else" just in case GW says no to that particular one. Plus I find these conversations fun. :p
  • _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Posts: 933Registered Users

For me, there is no "after Warhammer 3". It's probably the last game i'll ever play.... forever.

Me too, give us endless hordes of dlcs and mods for game 3 and all is good.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,105Registered Users
    Total War: Cosmere would be awesome
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 2,843Registered Users
    Personally I'd like to see CA try to create their own fantasy setting, heavily inspired by their own knowledge of history and culture, as opposed to licensing another franchise from some other company.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,440Registered Users
    After TWW3? 40K!

Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 9,892Registered Users
    edited July 5
    Bonutz619 said:

no

Star Wars, 40k and AoS rely FAR more on SQUAD level tactics. Not REGIMENT level.

Same for Borderlands...

Also: LOTR B**ches
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

Easy. Endless Total War

Nice synergy for Sega!
    Later
    Total War: Forums
    Where the community managers stave off hordes of forum goers and redditors.
    Later
    Goatforce said:

Total War: Cosmere would be awesome

Had to look that up. Could definitely be neat!

Bonutz619 said:

no

Star Wars, 40k and AoS rely FAR more on SQUAD level tactics. Not REGIMENT level.

Same for Borderlands...

40K wouldn't be a direct port of the tabletop, to be sure (Never played AoS, so I can't comment there), but it could certainly be done. Star Wars is screaming for big regiment level tactics (You have Droids, Clones and innumerable Stormtroopers), it's asking to have huge armies duke it out. And Borderlands would have to do its own thing anyways, since an RPG-style wouldn't be a 1:1 application.

I do get the love for LotR though!

Total War: Forums
    Where the community managers stave off hordes of forum goers and redditors.

WATCH IT. lol

Easy. Endless Total War

Nice synergy for Sega!
    Yeah, another good point. I'm starting to think that could be a really cool fit, though I suspect Amplitude would be a little nervous about another Strategy game moving in on their Strategy series.
    edited July 5

Bonutz619 said:

no

Same for Borderlands...

Lol. Star Wars relies more on squad gameplay? Says who? Just look at all the epic battles in those movies and the lore and talk to me about squad gameplay. There’s no preexisting template for how Star Wars games need to be built or played.

Same for 40k and AoS. There are gargantuan epic battles all throughout those settings. The game doesn’t have to follow the tabletop to a T just like Total War Warhammer doesn’t. These all would be perfect settings for future Total War games because they feature epic battles with large armies, which is what TW prides itself on.
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 4,947Registered Users
    I would bet a fair amount of money there won't be another fictional TW ever. Simply not cost effective.
    edited July 5
    Fossoway said:

Very unlikely to get any of those because the IP belongs to someone else, and I seriously doubt they'd be willing to give it to CA. At least Games Workshop is probably very satisfied with their current partnership, and since Dawn of War 3 was a huge flop, the chances of a Total War Warhammer 40k is much higher.

My personal choice would be something like Age of Mythology, where they combine mythologic creatures with historical units.

Not so sure about that. CA is a AAA gaming company that has a pretty extensive portfolio of successful and popular games to back them up. 3K was the highest selling game in the world for the month of May iirc. Companies are absolutely willing to lease out their IP’s if they see a good return on it.

I’m not saying it will happen but I wouldn’t completely write it off either.
    Xenos7 said:

I would bet a fair amount of money there won't be another fictional TW ever. Simply not cost effective.

Given that there's TWW3 coming, and 3K -another fictional TWW- has been a big success I'd happily take that wager.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 4,947Registered Users

Xenos7 said:

Given that there's TWW3 coming, and 3K -another fictional TWW- has been a big success I'd happily take that wager.
    Come on. After TWW3, obviously. And 3K isn't fictional, it's a historical game with even less historical accuracy than other historical TW games.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,588Registered Users
    This doesn't *really* belong in the Warhammer forum, regardless of its title.
    Xenos7 said:

Apparently CA thinks it’s cost effective which is why we’re still getting DLC’s and a third game. Some of the higher ups at CA also expressed their desire to do a 40k series in a dev interview a while back.
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 829Registered Users
    I think games Workshop universes are the easiest to translate into a total war game, because unlike other IPs, their main focus is the tactics, the units and the battle in general. Other IPs are nice because of characters, stories, movies etc. GW stuff was literally made for a strategy game.
    edited July 5
    Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

Come on. After TWW3, obviously. And 3K isn't fictional, it's a historical game with even less historical accuracy than other historical TW games.
    A game based on the 3 Kingdoms novel. Hmmmm I wonder what category of novel that was.....

Xenos7 said:

...?

Total Warhammer has been basically printing money. And the WTTAWO has an entire team listed as "Fantasy".
    Bonutz619 said:

Fossoway said:

Not so sure about that. CA is a AAA gaming company that has a pretty extensive portfolio of successful and popular games to back them up. 3K was the highest selling game in the world for the month of May iirc. Companies are absolutely willing to lease out their IP’s if they see a good return on it.

Yeah. Halo immediately jumps to my mind as another game that had no issues dishing the license to CA to handle for a strategy.

*Shrug*

Couldn't see which forum made the most sense to use, apart from perhaps the "catch all" Off-Topic. But given that it'd be the Fantasy Team that would be doing it, I put it in the forum that I thought made the most sense.
    Bonutz619 said:

Xenos7 said:

Apparently CA thinks it’s cost effective which is why we’re still getting DLC’s and a third game. Some of the higher ups at CA also expressed their desire to do a 40k series in a dev interview a while back.
    Yeah, and for what it's worth, I still think 40K has better odds than literally every other settings' odds combined. Still, nice to spitball!

Xenos7 said:

...?

Total Warhammer has been basically printing money. And the WTTAWO has an entire team listed as "Fantasy".
    Bonutz619 said:

Fossoway said:

Yeah. Halo immediately jumps to my mind as another game that had no issues dishing the license to CA to handle for a strategy.

*Shrug*

Couldn't see which forum made the most sense to use, apart from perhaps the "catch all" Off-Topic. But given that it'd be the Fantasy Team that would be doing it, I put it in the forum that I thought made the most sense.
    Bonutz619 said:

Xenos7 said:

Yeah, and for what it's worth, I still think 40K has better odds than literally every other settings' odds combined. Still, nice to spitball!
    Yes, Halo and the Aliens franchise as well, although that was a FPS. CA has no problem getting popular IP’s.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,140Registered Users
    I'd prefer Elder Scrolls to LotR mostly because of balance. Playing the human factions would be like playing dark age tribes vs the evil/fun factions.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,073Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Moved to Total War General Chat where all speculation on future games belongs.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,208Registered Users
    Bonutz619 said:

Same for 40k and AoS. There are gargantuan epic battles all throughout those settings. The game doesn’t have to follow the tabletop to a T just like Total War Warhammer doesn’t. These all would be perfect settings for future Total War games because they feature epic battles with large armies, which is what TW prides itself on.

Just because there's large battles doesn't mean it isn't squad based in those battles. The unit stacks mean we can't have those large epic battles. It will end up feeling like DoW1 with probably worse animations and less equipment choice. But it's not going to happen, GWS wont let them mangle their IP that much.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 9,892Registered Users
    Bonutz619 said:

Bonutz619 said:

no

Same for Borderlands...

Lol. Star Wars relies more on squad gameplay? Says who? Just look at all the epic battles in those movies and the lore and talk to me about squad gameplay. There’s no preexisting template for how Star Wars games need to be built or played.

how about that, aside of geonosis, the units usually were more in line with WWII (were the OT took a lot of cues from), the soldiers looking for cover etc. Lets take Hoth: do we see lines of Stormtroopers lined up there? No. Endor? No. How about any of the Events from the Good EU (aka Legends): Hmm.. can't remember anything about that, not even the Essential Guide to Warfare.

Clone Wars? hmm... I don't think so.

that aside: The "Regiment VS Regiment" fighting style of TW doesn't even fit the Rebel scum.

We're talking about settings that have devastating artillery and bombardment weapons. the usage of Regiments as in TW would be utterly dumb.
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?