Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

varient editor guide

johncagejohncage Posts: 246Registered Users
its changed so much since attila, anyone got a basic guide to import the changes?

Comments

• zerkmannzerkmann Posts: 348Registered Users
    edited July 6
    >open variant mesh definition
    >pick a defintion you want to edit i.e. ji militia
    >swap body parts as you like
    >save variant mesh definition as new file i.e. save unit_wood_ji_militia.variantmeshdefinition into data/variants/variantmeshdefinition

Then open up pack file manager and import that new variant mesh definition into your mod
    At least that's what I do.
  • johncagejohncage Posts: 246Registered Users
    cool thanks. some of the armors like dian wei's chest armor seem very realistic. there's too many to choose from, really need a preview option

also do you know why there's so many repeated entries? i checked only ws.model not the rigid model
    edited July 6
    johncage said:

cool thanks. some of the armors like dian wei's chest armor seem very realistic. there's too many to choose from, really need a preview option

There is a preview option.

Open up the definition viewer tab. Select one of the body parts or slots you want to edit.
    Let's say you want to edit the chest armor for ji militia, although usually these are slotted as shoulder pads for some reason.
    Click/highlight the current chest armor then go to the parts tab on your right. Pick the chest armor you want as a replacer, preferrably as rigid model as ws.model to my understanding only shows the mesh and not the texture, then right click it and pick replace. The new chest armor will now show up in the preview screen at the center.

Just Alt+Z if you make any mistakes.

As for why there are so many repeated files, I honestly do not know.
    lol the historical and romance models are nearly identical with different colorings. chek out the liue bei set. lol

i'm gonna start with changing the hero armors since it's easier, no variation difficulties, just one individual. do you know if those need to placed in a special folder or can they all go in one variantmeshes/variandefinitions mod folder?
    do i need to do something with the databases? it seems the game doesn't want to replace the existing units. i just use the same file name for the unit's varientdefinition but it's not replacing them
    You still need to make a mod.pack to replace them. Do you have Pack File Manager?
    lol nvm i figured it out. didn't enable the mod in the launcher

do you know if it's possible to go back and edit the file in varienteditor after it has been saved?
    for some reason the units are not using my second selections like my second helmet i provided for the units. it's only using one of them
    I don't know yet but what I'm doing is using a mod.pack used by Taikilung. His mod.packs are different for some reason in that they work without being using the mod launcher and the game automatically reads them as the native files so if for example you were to use a mod that replaces the appearance of Ji Infantry, what I do is

1. use Taikilung's mod.pack as a template
    2. replace all contents in the mod.pack with the files you want, in this case 3k_unit_wood_ji_infantry.variantmeshdefinition
    3. save it under a different name
    4. Boot up variant editor
    5. Variant editor will now identify the mod as the default variant definition for the unit instead of reverting them back to vanilla variant definition

After that, just export the new variant definition and import it to your actual mod.pack that you uploaded into the workshop. Then remove the mod.pack you used from Taikilung and keep it in a 3K mod folder somewhere else for future reference. You can keep using this when updating your variant definitions using the assembly kit. But honestly, it's simply quicker to edit these via Notepad++, especially if you already know the names of the parts you want to replace.
  • WinButlerWinButler Posts: 2Registered Users
    There are some things I can't figure out how to do because either it's not doable, or I'm an idiot.

1. How do I open a variantmeshdefinition file from my computer? It's literally one I created in TWeak and saved that I'm trying to re-open but I can't for the life of me figure it out.
    2. How do I add an actual variantmeshdefinition inside another variantmeshdefinition? Say I have a vmd for a bunch of skins, how do I actually go about adding it to a slot in a different vmd?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    WinButler said:

1. How do I open a variantmeshdefinition file from my computer? It's literally one I created in TWeak and saved that I'm trying to re-open but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Notepad, preferably Notepad++
    WinButler said:

2. How do I add an actual variantmeshdefinition inside another variantmeshdefinition? Say I have a vmd for a bunch of skins, how do I actually go about adding it to a slot in a different vmd?

See point 1. All in all, you still need pack file manager to turn these vmds into a working mod.
    Look it up at TW Center.

• WinButlerWinButler Posts: 2Registered Users
    Yeah that's not what I mean. I'm saying how do I open a vmd file on my computer in TWeak. I'm aware they're all text files you can read through notepad programs, yes.
    lol i'm already getting burned out by the amounts of units i'll need to replace just to have a proper first tier infantry

i notice a lot of the units are using premade wsmodel files. so i have to delete these and then rebuild them piece by piece.

i wonder if it's possible to just create premade varientdefinitions and then have the unit file link those varientdefinitions like how the game has premade wsmodel files

probably not because the editor reads from the sources files in the game database. i would have to engineer it to read from my local hard disk
    yeah i don't think it's possible to access your own files which sucks because after you save sometimes you might want to edit it remove somehting, add something, etc. ca really needs to add functionality to read from disc

the 2nd request is something i need too. because to actually add variet within one unit, you need to create many pre-made definitions. the game currently only reads from disc so i have no clue how the hell they expect us to create custom definitions and then link them to existing ones because the program doesn't read from disc!

so frustrating dealing with ca's oversights. then it's going take weeks if not months for them to get the message and actually produce a fix.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,172Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Threads on the same topic combined.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    Daily reminder to download Rusted Pack File Manager.
    It will make your day a LOT easier.
  • CA_OtherTomCA_OtherTom Posts: 231Registered Users, CA Staff, Community Team
    @johncage If you find the file location for your custom variant mesh definition you can drag/drop that onto the viewing pane in variant editor to open it.

I'll chat to our tools team about a method of loading utilising the load definitions.
    edited July 10
    hi tom, thanks for passing the request. that will definitely do wonders for our ability to mod variations within a single unit. also, can you also check with the programmers for reason why if variant definition has two helmet files, but in game, only shows the first helmet file, never the second.

i still don't know what you meant by dragging and dropping. i have tried dragging the file into the green frame but doesn't work. it shows a file icon with a red stop sign under it meaning action not allowed. and it's only reading from the virtual files, not the local hard disc.
  • TheLoneCenturionTheLoneCenturion Posts: 16Registered Users

@johncage If you find the file location for your custom variant mesh definition you can drag/drop that onto the viewing pane in variant editor to open it.

I'll chat to our tools team about a method of loading utilising the load definitions.

Its not working for me, I go to the VariantMeshDefinition file on my computer then drag and drop it onto the viewing pane but nothing happens.