Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Start MTWII

albarkhanealbarkhane Posts: 2Registered Users
edited July 9 in Medieval II: Total War
@admin : It is first time i post, so if it is not the right place please move it.

I have CD of Medieval Total WaR II from back in the days. The game was installed on a Windows 7 computer and was working properly (Kingdoms extension too by the way). I did not use them for a very long time (several years).

Today, i tried to start the game and got a message saying that i should be admin of my computer. Problem is that i am admin ! So i uninstalled the whole thing, tried to clean as much as possible and install again : same message. I created another admin account on my computer and tried start the game from there but it does not work. I did not try to install the game from that new account, should i ?

Actually now i don't have that message any more but when i try to start the game just nothing happen (actually process is running but nothing happens). Any idea about the problem and how i could solve it ?

EDIT : i read somewhere on internet that i should use Steam so i installed it and add the game there but the CD key is not recognized as a steam product (too much old i presume) so basically when i launch it via Steam it is the same (it is just a shortcut that don't give me admin access i presume).
Post edited by albarkhane on

Comments

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,560Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    It's a MS Windows issue. There is a fix/workaround but you'll have to travel through the MicroSoft labyrinth of Support.

You'll be better off just buying the game on Steam. It's very cheap, and will work. I know. I have the original discs also, and after fighting the same problem, just went ahead and purchased it several years ago.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • CapricornianGoatCapricornianGoat Junior Member Posts: 41Registered Users
    edited July 10
    IIRC it has to do with Microsoft security update KB3086255. Try uninstalling it and keep it from getting installed. I had a lot of issues before in Win7 but this one sitcks out in my mind.

After I got it going on Win7, I stayed on Win7 just to play the game. After a long while I finally moved to Win10 and saw the game (Definitive Edition) on sale at the time for just over $6. Like dge1 said - it works!

-Bat
  • albarkhanealbarkhane Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thank you both of you for your hints. The microsoft update is not installed on my computer.

However, i guess i will have a look on steam and maybe buy the game, it will be easier than spending lots of time exploring.