Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War memory requirements

RowdyRowdy Posts: 15Registered Users
I am about to build a new computer am deciding on how much RAM i will get.
Trying to decide if 16GB of fast ram or 32GB of cheaper ram would be preferable.
As Total War:Warhammer will probably be a game i will continue to play for years to come, can anyone tell me how much ram this game uses? and maybe the same for three kingdoms as this may indicate any trends of what may be needed for WH3?

Comments

• corvocorvo Junior Member SpainPosts: 2,928Registered Users
    edited July 11
    32 gb ram is a no-sense for pc gaming.

pick 2 slot (or 4, for better latency but this option is usually expensive) 16 DDR4 3200hz and you won't need to update your ram for the next generation even.

im playing right now a quest battle (in campaign) and, as you can see the game doesn't even reach 3gb.

Team Skavens

"Brother Skavens! Consider this... Until the coming of Vermek Skab, the Council of Thirteen placed me in command of this army"
    - Grey Seer Thanquol, ruthlessly taking command of the Nuln Invasion force
  • NopeacejustwarNopeacejustwar Posts: 834Registered Users
    Just good quality2x 8 16gb 3200mhz ram. Gave me at least 30-40fps improvement. As I only had a cheap crap 8gb stick. I appreciate that it was bottlenecking my system of a GTX 1070ti and Ryzen 1600, with this game other games differ greatly. Don’t underestimate the importance of ram. But yeah 32gb might be overkill get the best quality 2x 8gb set you can and you should be dandy!
  • PancakesPancakes Posts: 377Registered Users
    16gb is the standard for gaming now.
    Going over the needed won't increase performance.
    Memory is above MSRP right now, so it's not the best time to buy, and you can mix and match later on by getting memory with the same timings, so go for a single or duel channel 16gb, and in a few years if you want more just get a single stick to increase it. Just remember which one is in your PC to match the timings later on
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,574Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited July 11
    Moved to tech area.

(FYI. The more RAM and Memory you have for CPU and GPU the better. And also a large clear space for the windows swap file needs.)
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • RubzyRubzy Posts: 90Registered Users
    corvo said:

pick 2 slot (or 4, for better latency but this option is usually expensive) 16 DDR4 3200hz and you won't need to update your ram for the next generation even.

im playing right now a quest battle (in campaign) and, as you can see the game doesn't even reach 3gb.

How do you keep the performance task bar open when playing a game? When I minimise the game the GPU usage goes down instantly so I want to know how one monitors this.
  • psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,289Registered Users
    I have multiple monitors, but you can see it's past usage on the performance tab. Since the only thing using the GPU to any degree will be the game, it's past usage shown there will be accurate, as opposed to the total memory or CPU allocation which will only be part.
    corvo said:

This is actually bad information, but it's true that you don't need 32GB, 16 will do. Warhammer II will use about 4GB if I remember correctly, so he's actually constrained well below the maximum usage because his total is considered high by Windows.

Windows actually scales memory usage based on how much you have. It slows you down a little, not much, but a little, even at 16GB. It's a bit over agressive in it's optimization.

Having 128GB of ram, because I have a server workstation for running database materializations and virtual machines on(none such activities have started yet) I am currently using 9.1GB with just web browsing, steam, etc. I've got plenty of games that use enough memory to fill up and exceed 16GB unless I close out a whole bunch of stuff. Because of the aggressive memory optimization, if I only had 16GB, I'd only be using 10-12 at that point. Maybe even less, so more degraded performance in things.

If you don't leave everything running all the time, 16GB should be more than sufficient for quite a while though. Get two sticks and you can fill in another two later if you need more.
  • corvocorvo Junior Member SpainPosts: 2,928Registered Users
    edited July 13
    Rubzy said:

corvo said:

How do you keep the performance task bar open when playing a game? When I minimise the game the GPU usage goes down instantly so I want to know how one monitors this.
    I have 2 screens, but even when you use 1, you can put that windows to stay above everything as far I remember.
    Team Skavens

"Brother Skavens! Consider this... Until the coming of Vermek Skab, the Council of Thirteen placed me in command of this army"
    - Grey Seer Thanquol, ruthlessly taking command of the Nuln Invasion force