Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

TWW2: Can you still capture artillery?

SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Registered Users Posts: 468
edited July 2019 in General Discussion
I know that there is an old thread asking this same question, but it doesn't seem to have a clear answer. If you can still capture artillery from enemies that are of your faction, what are the chances or the requirements to capture it? I know that you're supposed to have an open spot in your army and that you must kill off the crew. I've never been able to pull this off in Mortal Empires though.

Also, can you steal artillery from quest battles like Franz's Battle of the Bloodpines quest?

*Edit*

I would greatly appreciate any comment from a CA employee who has info on this. I'm genuinely curious now if there are set conditions you need to meet or if it is purely random.
Post edited by SubjectEighteen on

Comments

• TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 8,657

I know that there is an old thread asking this same question, but it doesn't seem to have a clear answer. If you can still capture artillery from enemies that are of your faction, what are the chances or the requirements to capture it? I know that you're supposed to have an open spot in your army and that you must kill off the crew. I've never been able to pull this off in Mortal Empires though.

Also, can you steal artillery from quest battles like Franz's Battle of the Bloodpines quest?

Yes you can. The % i do not know.

I have never got it from Franz quest battle (done it hundreds of time).
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,534
    edited July 2019
    It's happened to me, no idea about the odds though.
    Don't worry.
  • ricmornricmorn Registered Users Posts: 226
    10% chance to capture (faction appropriate) artillery after a battle with an open slot. I've gotten a Grudge Thrower as the Dwarfs against a grumpy Dwarfen neighbor before.
  • akenatumakenatum Registered Users Posts: 30
    Stole an organ gun once, it's rare i have the slots open to notice this though.
  • NariacNariac Registered Users Posts: 248
    You can steal from quest battles. Got a mortar from Bloodpine Woods a few times, sadly never the hellfire.

You can also steal a few cross faction artillery pieces, the catapults.

Grudge Throwers, Plagueclaw Catapults and Goblin Rock Lobbers can all be stolen by Dwarfs, Greenskins or Skaven regardless of whether you are the same faction as the artillery you're stealing. If stolen it will be turned into your faction's type of catapult, however, so you won't have a Grudge Thrower as a Skaven.
  • SephlockSephlock Registered Users Posts: 2,366

I did once.
    #JusticeForUshoran #RuneGolems #RuneGuardians #ShardDragons #Thunderbarges #Stormfiends #BigMonsters #MoreDakka
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,113
    yes you can but the chance to do it is very low namely 5%

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
    Sephlock said:

I did once.
    I almost always do the quest asap. Now it is turn 1 (used to be turn 2 many patches ago). So i have like 7-10 units. I have done it hundreds of times. Never gotten any.

If it is 5% i have been unlucky. And it is possible to do it 1000 times and still not get one (very unlucky).

But i wonder if there is a minimul and max unit req to get 1. Or just bad luck.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
    Maybe lord level req (5?). Id love to see the code to find out if i have been unlucky or im not meeting a req
  • StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 2,671
    I dream so hard about getting one of those juicy Hellblaster Volley guns. Sadly it's never happened.
    Stephince said:

I dream so hard about getting one of those juicy Hellblaster Volley guns. Sadly it's never happened.

Hellstorm rocket battery at the quest battle?
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,113

Maybe lord level req (5?). Id love to see the code to find out if i have been unlucky or im not meeting a req

it is just 5% random chance I can dig up the code if you want me to

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
    blaat said:

it is just 5% random chance I can dig up the code if you want me to
    Yeah id love to see it mate
  • StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 2,671

Stephince said:

I'm sure that's what I said ;)
    Stephince said:

Stephince said:

I'm sure that's what I said ;)
    My mistake

; )
  • PancakesPancakes Registered Users Posts: 377
    My understanding is you need to wipe out the catapult crew completely, every last man, they can't route off the map, none of the catapults can be broken or destroyed.
    Not sure about cross race stealing.
    And after trying many times I've never seen it happen.
  • AramoraAramora Registered Users Posts: 60
    I was operating under the assumption they removed the quest battle % chance. I got it in WH1, but never WH2
  • MarkerMarker Registered Users Posts: 1,191

With Skaven against rebels, I almost always steal a plague trowing catapult.
  • PatriksevePatrikseve Member Registered Users Posts: 1,790
    This is a neat little perk they could add to heroes in the future maybe or a trait... siege enginer, or something either as a skill in say extra power to siege units plus increased chances as looting them or just a small trait that can be added upping the chances.

Aramora said:

I was operating under the assumption they removed the quest battle % chance. I got it in WH1, but never WH2

I've got a mortar from the Empire quest battle in Mortal Empires, but only once, and I start Empire campaigns all the damn time, lol.
  • SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Registered Users Posts: 468
    Nariac said:

Aramora said:

I've got a mortar from the Empire quest battle in Mortal Empires, but only once, and I start Empire campaigns all the damn time, lol.
    I am determined to figure this out. Do you have any idea what the conditions were like when you got that mortar? Was Franz a certain level? Did you have a specific number of units or had a certain number of turns passed?
  • DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,166
    I can confirm it is a thing, but it rarely happens for me, maybe 5 times I can remember. Somehow in this DE campaign I've gotten two reaper bolt throwers over my 75 turns so far, I was very suprised.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,166

This is a neat little perk they could add to heroes in the future maybe or a trait... siege enginer, or something either as a skill in say extra power to siege units plus increased chances as looting them or just a small trait that can be added upping the chances.

Would be great for the Dwarf engineer, Gunnery Wight, Warlock engineer and a hopefully added empire engineer.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson

Nariac said:

Aramora said:

I am determined to figure this out. Do you have any idea what the conditions were like when you got that mortar? Was Franz a certain level? Did you have a specific number of units or had a certain number of turns passed?
    I wish I could help but I have no idea. All I'd do is fight the battle as soon as I could, and make sure I had 17 units in my army so I could potentially steal both mortars and the hellstorm rocket battery.

Only ever got one mortar, once. Getting that hellstorm would have changed the campaign so much, haha. But the mortar was pretty sweet too.
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Registered Users Posts: 4,092
    Never even knew this was a possibility.

You learn something new every day.
  • ThomasLidstromThomasLidstrom Registered Users Posts: 34
    edited July 2019
    Is it possible to capture artillery from other races? How are they manned? Will you have Goblins manning your rock lobber in your Dwarven army? :smiley:
  • SagrandaSagranda Registered Users Posts: 1,659

Is it possible to capture artillery from other races? How are they manned? Will you have Goblins manning your rock lobber in your Dwarven army? :smiley:

Yes, but actually, no.
    As long as it is faction appropriate they can capture and convert it to their equivalent.
    Disclaimer: What I say is my opinion and not necessarily stated as fact.
  • uriakuriak Registered Users Posts: 3,421
    You mean you can get cannons from dwarfs for instance?

Anyway capturing happened to me only once so far, and it was a mortar, haha.
  • SagrandaSagranda Registered Users Posts: 1,659
    uriak said:

You mean you can get cannons from dwarfs for instance?

Anyway capturing happened to me only once so far, and it was a mortar, haha.

The Empire should be able to capture a dwarven Cannon, since they have a Cannon-Type as well that fits with what the Dwarfs have (IIRC)
    Disclaimer: What I say is my opinion and not necessarily stated as fact.
  • uriakuriak Registered Users Posts: 3,421
    edited July 2019
    I won't let others the chance to note that that's a grudgin' !

You can't compare the umgi shoddy cannons with the lovely crafted dawi creations (with pretty similar stats)