Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: Warhammer 3 Grand Cathay fan Concept #14: Dragon Lord (Lord)

Cortes31Cortes31 Posts: 743Registered Users
Great work as always.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/cio13g/total_war_warhammer_3_grand_cathay_fan_concept_14/

If only CA would do Cathay but this remains to be seen.
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
No faction shall escape my sight.
Let those who think deniers are right
Beware my power--Faction Lantern's light!"

Everythime a faction/race is excluded from the trilogy, these games become smaller. RIP Araby and others.
Tagged:

Comments

• _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Posts: 1,002Registered Users
    Very good.

The one female right down could be on first sight be easily fighting for slaanesh, her armour looks like bare breasts.

• Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,832Registered Users
    DID JOEL SCHUMACHER TEACH YOU NOTHING?

• NemoxNemox Posts: 2,708Registered Users
    Must be cold in Cathay.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,487Registered Users
    Pretty good concept, but the flower nipples ain't it, chief :blush:
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Posts: 2,258Registered Users
    Nemox said:

Must be cold in Cathay.

Must be cold in the Arabian desert.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 5,859Registered Users
    It's sugar and spice and everything nice except for female variant. She ate too many dumplings.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• neodeinosneodeinos Posts: 2,585Registered Users
    edited July 2019
    Surely CA can just reuse 3K assets like some people might say /s
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Posts: 377Registered Users
    neodeinos said:

I'm not sure I understand the sarcasm. I'm not a game developer but is there a problem with doing that? Doesn't it all run off the same engine? I mean that should apply to Nippon and Total War Shogun II as well right?

Nemox said:

Must be cold in Cathay.

Must be cold in the Arabian desert.
    Nah, you can't see them nipples! :P.
  • lucibuislucibuis Posts: 2,524Registered Users
    Are those bare breasts?
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Posts: 5,633Registered Users
    lucibuis said:

Are those bare breasts?

No it's armour.

DID JOEL SCHUMACHER TEACH YOU NOTHING?

You'd hate a muscle cuirass then. :D
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• SindrissSindriss Posts: 419Registered Users
    I like the chest. Lots of armor had faux nipples. Cool design.
  • Furious_MingFurious_Ming Posts: 6Registered Users
    Hi all, I am the artist that did this. Big thanks to @Cortes31 for re-posting it here!
    I don't usually post here, and while I am delighted to see others share in my fascination for nipples, I just want to clear up that "nipple decoration" or emboss is a thing for these type of breast plates (my rendition of it probably just wasn't that accurate..). I am guessing it started off as a artistic interpretation for nipples kinda like muscle cuirass. The design could range from big or small, flower like shape to bestial faces or simply a plain circle. Its hard to say the purpose since there are no surviving armor, but from that statues it looks like sometimes its used for where the shoulder straps are attached. All the examples I attached are Tang dynasty era style statues (though the top left painting could be Song dyansty..)

@Furious_Ming

Welcome man. Your art is always impressive to see, even if I may be a little pessimistic and not believe we will see Cathay. The nipple thing is just fun to laugh at. So many ancient armours had quirks that you just can't help but enjoy :P.

I like to think even artists at CA are impressed by your work.
  • AbmongAbmong Posts: 1,188Registered Users
    @Furious_Ming

Nice artwork man. Though I must admit I personally would have gone a different direction with the designs for Cathay myself. From what I read of the cathay lore they just seem more Qing dynasty (Ming at the earliest) rather than the older dynasties. Terracota automatons are fine as older though and I particularly like the Monkey King design since if he's the same one that took over Cathay for a period, he would be immortal or at least very long lived.
    Total War: Warhammer IV - Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Khuresh (+ Lost Vampire Bloodlines, Hobgoblin Khanate DLC) :#
    Nemox said:

@Furious_Ming

Welcome man. Your art is always impressive to see, even if I may be a little pessimistic and not believe we will see Cathay. The nipple thing is just fun to laugh at. So many ancient armours had quirks that you just can't help but enjoy :P.

Thanks bud! haha yea I know its all in good fun. I was just a little surprised by everyone's attention to it. Nipples on armor is a pretty common thing and maybe I am just too used to seeing it.
    I tried to avoid any discussion on what or may not be in game 3 since thats entirely up to CA (or GW more accurately), and I am all for WH fans getting the original established faction first.
    I am really only doing this for fun in my spare time and hopefully might give CA some inspiration if they ever feel like attempting to bring it in game.
  • neodeinosneodeinos Posts: 2,585Registered Users

neodeinos said:

I'm not sure I understand the sarcasm. I'm not a game developer but is there a problem with doing that? Doesn't it all run off the same engine? I mean that should apply to Nippon and Total War Shogun II as well right?
    How would Cathay be unique if it's just the assets of 3K like some people are saying to support their argument that Cathay will happen ? That'd be just boring, a copy paster of 3K into Warhammer is not interesting and they would still have to make assets for monsters anyway.

I was just using sarcasm to show that argument is not a valid one.
    Abmong said:

@Furious_Ming

Nice artwork man. Though I must admit I personally would have gone a different direction with the designs for Cathay myself. From what I read of the cathay lore they just seem more Qing dynasty (Ming at the earliest) rather than the older dynasties. Terracota automatons are fine as older though and I particularly like the Monkey King design since if he's the same one that took over Cathay for a period, he would be immortal or at least very long lived.

Thanks dude! I understand that GW's vision of Cathay is more closely aligned with Qing dynasty based on the one off illustration (though it could be argued as late Ming as well) and units like banner men which is clearly Qing inspired. On the other hand there is alot of Japanese elements thrown in too. I guess what I am saying is the original GW Cathay is sorta a hodge podge of Eastern influence and rather than following it closely, I am using mostly its descriptions and backdrop to create my version of it.

The reason I went with a mostly Tang/Song dynasty is several.. on a personal level, Tang is one my favourite dyansty and the golden age of China that ironically rarely gets any attention in games or western media in general. I really like the aesthetics of both the Tang and Song so its more fun for me to design around them. Most traditional artistic depiction of fantasy and myths are also based around the Tang/Song aesthetics which led itself to be a more natural fit.

In terms of gameplay, I was envisioning a Cathay based around mostly infantry and missiles supported by alot of magical specialized units like constructs, monsters, dragons.. etc. Perhaps abit like a human version of HE but less missile and more melee. I know it might seems like a mix bag of everything but at the same time I am also getting the unit list mostly from GW's description with a few of my original creations in between. I feel a army based around Ming should be alot more gunpowder focused which we already have both in the Dwarfs and the Empire. I refrained from using too many nomadic auxiliary (even though it would be more historically accurate espeically for Tang) since I don't want to muddle the army identity too much and we already have a abundance of "barbarian nomad" influenced armies like the Ogres, Hobgoblins, Hung, and Choas warrior to a certain extend.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,832Registered Users
    I was the guy who posted the Joel Schumacher meme, and I'd like to say a couple of things:

- Overall, I think the Dragon Lord concept looks great.

- I am aware of, and think sculpted muscle cuirass can look good.

- However, unfortunately, when sculpted cuirass is mixed with female "boob-plate", and especially when the sculpted "nipple" itself is decorated (ie. a flower in this case) - it comes off looking pretty goofy. That's my opinion, and I'm standing by it.

- The High Elves (and possibly others, I haven't checked) do have boob-plate, and I feel they come off a bit more subtle.

- Lastly - QILIN! Awesome. Love seeing it as a mount.

I was the guy who posted the Joel Schumacher meme, and I'd like to say a couple of things:

- Overall, I think the Dragon Lord concept looks great.

- I am aware of, and think sculpted muscle cuirass can look good.

- However, unfortunately, when sculpted cuirass is mixed with female "boob-plate", and especially when the sculpted "nipple" itself is decorated (ie. a flower in this case) - it comes off looking pretty goofy. That's my opinion, and I'm standing by it.

- The High Elves (and possibly others, I haven't checked) do have boob-plate, and I feel they come off a bit more subtle.

- Lastly - QILIN! Awesome. Love seeing it as a mount.

Hey dude, thanks!! And its all good, I thought the meme is pretty funny haha. Though the batman suit may have alot of necessary detail anyways... who needs sculpted abs on a rubber suit, why not nipples too!

I saw alot of similar comments in the original reddit post and now I kinda see what the fuss is about. I am just so used to seeing these type of decoration that it never occurred to me that people may focus on it lol. In hindsight it might have been avoided if I went with a larger decoration with a beast face instead like one of the examples I showed above. It was actually a conscience effort to not do skimpy female armor and approach it with as a more unisex variation that could easily have fitted a male lord as well. But I guess human nature compelled me to draw boob plates -_-

Qilin is awesome!! Its actually one of my favorite part in how it turned out!
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 6,591Registered Users
    edited July 2019

Nemox said:

@Furious_Ming

Thanks bud! haha yea I know its all in good fun. I was just a little surprised by everyone's attention to it. Nipples on armor is a pretty common thing and maybe I am just too used to seeing it.
    I tried to avoid any discussion on what or may not be in game 3 since thats entirely up to CA (or GW more accurately), and I am all for WH fans getting the original established faction first.
    I am really only doing this for fun in my spare time and hopefully might give CA some inspiration if they ever feel like attempting to bring it in game.
    I think a large part of the issue is that colour schemes 2 and 3 make the chestplate very close to skin tone (even if it's not the same skin tone as the wearer on closer analysis) so at first glance it looks like a gap in the armour (particularly on the women - on the men, the embossed nipples look like they're a little too high to be the real thing, and that creates enough dissonance to make it easier to recognise as decorated armour rather than a lack of it). Using it on an ingame model would probably involve ensuring that the region in question is always clearly armour rather than being possibly mistaken for skin tone.

Love the kirin! (Or qilin, if you prefer.)
    Post edited by Draxynnic on
  • Cortes31Cortes31 Posts: 743Registered Users
    @Furious_Ming

No problem, I like your work on Cathay a lot. :)

"In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No faction shall escape my sight.
    Let those who think deniers are right
    Beware my power--Faction Lantern's light!"

Everythime a faction/race is excluded from the trilogy, these games become smaller. RIP Araby and others.
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Posts: 2,136Registered Users
    Awesome work man! Keep it up!