Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

letter from a Chinese player

post9066post9066 Registered Users Posts: 5
Everyone should have seen the news that the totalwar 3k has officially entered the Chinese market. I see that everyone seems to be very positive about this news, but as a Chinese player, I wish i could be happy too but i can not.I am afraid that in China, we will never be able to play the original version of the Three Kingdoms.

As a 15year+ loyal Chinese totalwar player. I must say almost no Chinese players in community are happy to see this news. Maybe Western players don't know much about China's current situation, so mistake it as good news for Chinese players.

Censorship in china

Okay, let's see first, if you want to play a popular 3A games today as a mainland Chinese player, what do you need to do?

For example, if you want to play Reddead Redemption 2, you need to buy a Hong Kong or Taiwan version of the PS4 or xbox first, or a mainland version, but re-install the system software to Hong Kong or Taiwan's version.Then buy a Hong Kong , Taiwan version of the game, finally, put in disc into, and you are good to go.

you may ask what the hell?Why is it so troublesome?

Answer is simple, the game was not(and will not, trust me) Officially published because it could not pass the censorship in China. But that doesn't mean that Chinese players dont have a chance to play. You just need to use the Solution i mentioned before to play it. And it's not piracy, because the games we buy is the legal version of Hong Kong and Taiwan. And there is no censorship there.As far as I know, less than 100 PS4 games have been officially published in mainland China so far. Then you can know how strict China’s censorship is.So the only choice left to player are playing Hong Kong Published Games. Because the games there are synchronized with the world.This is a public secret for game manufacturer and Chinese players.

How about pc games

The situation of PC games is somewhat different. Generally, Chinese players buy PC games on Steam, which is convenient, cheap and synchronized with the world. However, the reason why the game on Steam can be synchronized with the world is that it has not passed any censorship , that is to say, Steam is a grey area in China.So on May 23 this year, Chinese players played the 3k as well as the rest of the world, but in fact, this game has not been officially published in China.

So what does that mean? It means that Steam may be blocked by the Chinese government at any time.So any foreign manufacturer who wants to cultivate the Chinese market stably for a long time can only take the road of official publishing... under two conditions.

1.You have to cooperate with local game companies instead of being wholly foreign-owned.
2.You must unconditionally submit to China's censorship system.

So let's see what happens to games that are completely obey to censorship. For example,World of Warcraft in china,The blood of all living things turns green, because the censorship thinks that red blood is too bloody. When the player dies, the corpse is not a skeleton but a tombstone, because the censorship considers that the skeleton is not suitable for Teenagers to watch. rogue were renamed as Sneaker because the censorship believed that letting players play the role of thieves would make players think of stealing.For example, in some World War II history games, all countries had to change their names to virtual names, because the censors believed that controlling Germany against the Soviet Union was provoking ethnic conflicts.

And once any game is officially published in China, Steam's game page will be removed and locked in China. That is to say, you can only play the censored version of the game, which has been revised by the official publication. Generally, no player likes it. But you can't play the original version on Steam anymore. That's what Chinese players fear totalwar will become next.

How about now

At present, Steam's 3K page is still able to play normally, but 99% of the players in the Chinese community are afraid that one day 3K pages on Steam will lock up China, then we can only play the censorship version outside steam.This means that not only game content be deleted, but also the future update and DLC will be slower than global, because Audit is required before release, and it will be even slower or even unable to go online if the government believes that there is any inappropriate content inside.

what we wish

Our wishes is very simple, no matter how CA and Netease cooperate, it doesn't matter how they produce new card games and so on. But we only hope that the Steam pages of the 3k will not be locked in the future, and we can also buy the future DLC normally without delay and censor just like now, because we do not want to play the censorship game anyway. And basiclly no one in this planet like.And I really dont wanna see that youtuber arch warhammer‘s prophecy about 3k in china to come true.

I hope that my voice and the voices of many Chinese players who have the same thoughts as me can be heard by CA, and I believe this is not an excessive request. I hope everyone can help me keep the topic hot so that it can be seen by CA.

Sometimes I really don't understand why just wanting to enjoy the game, such a humble request, but it is so difficult to achieve.

All the best,peace out.

Comments

• MyNameIsTakenMyNameIsTaken Registered Users Posts: 11
    Steam does sometimes go down in China, but a VPN will solve all your problems.
  • crazyjim0528crazyjim0528 Registered Users Posts: 48

Steam does sometimes go down in China, but a VPN will solve all your problems.

Use VPN transfer location to buy Steam goods from other region is a risk of blocking accounts.better no do that often.
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,872

Use VPN transfer location to buy Steam goods from other region is a risk of blocking accounts.better no do that often.

Done it over hundreds of times as well as for friends, no problems faced at all.
  • crazyjim0528crazyjim0528 Registered Users Posts: 48
    edited August 2019

Done it over hundreds of times as well as for friends, no problems faced at all.
    Maybe the price of the region you changed is higher or similar to your own region? I've seen some guys in community say that they change to buy gifts in low-price region like Russia and then their accounts get blocked.So I never dare to try.
  • BreadboxBreadbox Registered Users Posts: 785
    edited August 2019
    And once any game is officially published in China, Steam's game page will be removed and locked in China. That is to say, you can only play the censored version of the game, which has been revised by the official publication. Generally, no player likes it. But you can't play the original version on Steam anymore. That's what Chinese players fear totalwar will become next.

This hasn’t being true for many games officially released in China, what led you to this conclusion? Locking up steam page would require Sega’s agreement, which would also **** off ~50% of the playerbase, which I’ve found very hard to believe(please don’t prove me wrong).

Having an official partner is probably a good thing, the government isn’t going to block steam any sooner just because TW got an official partner.

And should that day ever come, there is at least another option.
  • post9066post9066 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Breadbox said:

This hasn’t being true for many games officially released in China, what led you to this conclusion? Locking up steam page would require Sega’s agreement, which would also **** off ~50% of the playerbase, which I’ve found very hard to believe(please don’t prove me wrong).

Having an official partner is probably a good thing, the government isn’t going to block steam any sooner just because TW got an official partner.

Sorry, maybe I shouldn't use the word ANY. I'm not a wide-ranging player, I basically only play a few favorite types of game, so I can't know everything on Steam, But as far as I know, several famous IP are locked cause the local partnership.

1.Call of duty series,When Tencent became a local partner of Activision Blizzard, in order to launch COD online in China, it locked almost the entire Cod series’s Steam page in China. And trust me, COD and COD ONLINE is two completely different games, I don't understand why they lock the COD series on steam.

2.Final fantasy XIV, After its release in China, Steam's page was locked.

3.CS:GO, After its release in China, Steam's page was locked.

4.Minecraft, After its release in China, Steam's page was locked.

There are also some games that are not on the steam, but cause of local partners, they shut down the channels for Chinese players to play with players all over the world, or force players not to play steam version of the game by blocking chinese IP.

I agree with you, it is not totally useless to have local partners, which can better ensure that the game will not be banned by the government, but also help CA fight piracy locally in China. These are all positive things, like i said before “any foreign manufacturer who wants to cultivate the Chinese market stably for a long time can only take the road of official publishing”.

But after the release of these large IPs in China, their steam page become inaccessible. As a player, of course, I have doubts and worries about whether Netease will lock the steam when it becomes a partner. I don't want the game I've purchased to be unable to update and unable to buy new DLCs, while hundreds of thousands of others Chinese players who buy games on steam have the same concerns. After all, neither Netease nor CA have made clear what impact the future will have on the players who buy games on steam.Of course we are worried.
  • epic_159732489858zE2g60qepic_159732489858zE2g60q Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,314
    post9066 said:

Breadbox said:

Sorry, maybe I shouldn't use the word ANY. I'm not a wide-ranging player, I basically only play a few favorite types of game, so I can't know everything on Steam, But as far as I know, several famous IP are locked cause the local partnership.

1.Call of duty series,When Tencent became a local partner of Activision Blizzard, in order to launch COD online in China, it locked almost the entire Cod series’s Steam page in China. And trust me, COD and COD ONLINE is two completely different games, I don't understand why they lock the COD series on steam.

2.Final fantasy XIV, After its release in China, Steam's page was locked.

3.CS:GO, After its release in China, Steam's page was locked.

4.Minecraft, After its release in China, Steam's page was locked.

There are also some games that are not on the steam, but cause of local partners, they shut down the channels for Chinese players to play with players all over the world, or force players not to play steam version of the game by blocking chinese IP.

I agree with you, it is not totally useless to have local partners, which can better ensure that the game will not be banned by the government, but also help CA fight piracy locally in China. These are all positive things, like i said before “any foreign manufacturer who wants to cultivate the Chinese market stably for a long time can only take the road of official publishing”.

But after the release of these large IPs in China, their steam page become inaccessible. As a player, of course, I have doubts and worries about whether Netease will lock the steam when it becomes a partner. I don't want the game I've purchased to be unable to update and unable to buy new DLCs, while hundreds of thousands of others Chinese players who buy games on steam have the same concerns. After all, neither Netease nor CA have made clear what impact the future will have on the players who buy games on steam.Of course we are worried.
    Most probably you'll get to use the same code from Steam to be activated on the new platform or get to link your Steam account with the new platform.
  • post9066post9066 Registered Users Posts: 5
    LestaT said:

Most probably you'll get to use the same code from Steam to be activated on the new platform or get to link your Steam account with the new platform.

This is very likely to happen, and if so, it means that the version provided by Netease is the only version available to Chinese players.And all updates will be slower than the world, some content will be delete, and I don't know how far they will do it.

But anyway, I am currently changing my steam region setting to Hong Kong, although this will make the game price similar to Europe, but at least my game can be saved. Because it is not just the Three Kingdoms, Steam is currently almost ready to launching the Chinese version. No one knows whether the previously purchased games can be retained after the Chinese version Steam is launched.The sooner you run, the better.

But anyway thanks for your concern .

• BreadboxBreadbox Registered Users Posts: 785
    Dude no one is going to start a demonstration over a damn video game, no matter where you are from.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 20,756
    Political content posts deleted, along with those quoting with a response.

From the Forum Terms & Conditions:

10.2 We do not accept any discussions regarding religion, politics, race, sexuality, morality, etc. except when referring to a game mechanics/situation or to a historical situation effecting game portrayal. Even under these circumstances, the bar is set very high. Expect these sorts of threads to have short leashes, or short lives.

Sorry folks. Also, thread is moved to Off Topic.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,741
    Thailand's had most of those games banned as well. You can still buy them locally though.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,741
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/11/17451484/steam-china-announced-valve-perfect-world

More to the point it seems Steam also, must partner with a local company. In the past games like CS:GO was banned when Steam was an unofficial platform. Give it a bit of time and things will settle.