Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Tomb Kings Updated Missing Characters and Units

SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Registered Users Posts: 3,316
edited November 2020 in General Discussion
This is the first in a series of Posts I plan on doing on a complete visual guide to factions and their missing units.

Links to the Rest of the Series

Premise

I've formatted this similar to how you may have seen them before, however I am doing this all from scratch to remaster the visual guides everyone has been drawing from; bringing them up to full speed with the latest DLC, fixing any issues that may have existed in them (such as missing models or artwork) and expanding them to include characters and units that were overlooked in the posts you may have seen before.

That being said, some characters or units never had models and have no noteworthy art that I could find. In the event of a missing model or artwork I have attempted to compensate with a similar model, another art piece, a screenshot I took in-game from a mod or, in the worst-case scenario: a bootleg model *shudders*

Introduction

Tomb Kings are a faction that have been very overlooked when discussing new units and Characters, because their roster is mostly complete, hence why I am bringing them to you first.

I had to post them one by one because the combined image was too large. this is why the images may look inconsistent.

Missing Characters

(optional) Info on these characters and how they could work in WH2
Prince Apophas
a treacherous prince of Numas who coveted the throne such that he murdered the entire royal bloodline in their sleep. For these crimes, the people of Numas locked him in a Sarcophagus full of flesh-eating scarabs. He was sent to the Nehekharan underworld, where he struck a deal with the god of death: promising that, if he was released, he would claim the soul of another of noble birth to take his place.

So he was reborn in the form of a swarm of scarabs (the same kind that consumed his body) and now he roams the deserts in search of the perfect soul to take his place in the underworld.

Tomb Herald Nekaph
Settra's right-hand man. his bodyguard, champion and standard-bearer.

Ramhotep the Visionary
the Greatest Necrotect in history. Based off of the real-life Imhotep who is said to have designed and built the pyramids.

When a Necrotect completes the great project they are commissioned to do, they are forced to commit ritual suicide. Ramhotep had no intention of doing this because he had so many masterpieces he wanted to see completed. Thus, he infiltrated the lives of many of the great artists and architects of Nehekhara; posing as an eager student or admiring fan. He would then incapacitate them by sneaking drugs into their food, getting them addicted and fashion a mask identical to the one they wear. Assuming their identity: he would construct one of his many masterpieces and upon completion, disappear, leaving the real Necrotect to be executed in his stead.

When awaking in his undead state, he was horrified at the state of disrepair his great monuments and constructs had fallen into over the centuries and so now, he wanders the deserts of Nehekhara, excavating and restoring his creations to life. when the Empire and Bretonnia came to the Southlands to plunder and colonise: they destroyed many of his architectural marvels and so, in his rage he worked tirelessly for over a century to restore his army of constructs and his goal is to wipe all these invaders off the face of the Nehekharan desert and erect his greatest monument to date: a mausoleum built from the bones of his enemies.

Implementation into Warhammer 2
Ramhotep could be a nomadic character with an army made entirely of constructs, or a construct focused faction at the very least. His questline could be heavily focused around keeping the Nehekhara desert free of all non-TK factions (similar to Alarielle's mechanic). Once Nehekhara is secure, you would be able to construct his greatest masterpiece: the Mausoleum made from the bones of his foes. This would give him great buffs for the rest of his campaign, or allow him to unlock some end game units, like Regiments of Renown Constructs built by him.

Sehenesmet
Similar to Ramhotep: Sehenesmet is one of the best Necrotects there is, but he is also a mighty Liche Priest. The city of Quatar where he resides is referred to in Araby as "the Realm of Walking Statues" due to his many great constructs and Sehenesmet was even able to transport his being into the body of a Bone Giant, so he could have the strength to take on grander and more ambitious projects.

Although his lore is the most lacking here: Sehenesmet would be a golden opportunity to Implement both the melee Bone Giant and the High Liche priest generic lord choice for the TK at the same time.

Prince Tutankhanut
Based on the real-life Tutankhamun and so he was a prince who died at 15. Despite his age, he was a renowned bowman, even while riding atop his War Chariot. According to the Legends, each Nehekharan king was supposed to be reborn in a body of gold; When Tutankhanut awoke, he was furious to find this was not the case and demanded that his priests fashion him such a body.

Under his undead rule, Numas has been restored to its former glory. Life has returned to his lands, crops grow in abundance, the pyramids and statues have been rebuilt and Tutankhanut even has human subjects once again, as well as his undead brethren. a Nomadic Arabyan tribe came to Tutankhanut to worship him, as they believe him to be a manifestation of their god. The Arabyans are permitted to live within the TK cities and when Tutankhanut rides to war, he does so with the white steeds of his Arabyan subjects by his side.

Tutankhanut could focus on ranged units and administration with bonuses to elements such as growth, construction times and the income from gold mines, to reflect his golden armour, his mastery with a Bow and the prosperity of his lands. He would also be the only TK lord with access to Araby units (when Araby is released).

Missing Generic Lords/Heroes and Mounts

(optional) Info on these Lords/Heroes and how they could work in WH2
High Liche Priest Lord
Generic Liche Priest Lord Option.

Tomb Herald
A Support Lord/Hero, focused on buffing allied units.

Missing Units

(optional) Info on these units and how they could work in WH2
Bestethi/Greater Bestethi
Cats are sacred in Nehekhara and the Kings and Queens would often Keep one of these Bastethi as pets to protect their homes and hunt alongside them. Upon the rulers death, these feline companions would be embalmed and entombed right alongside their master and as a result, they have risen from the grave to serve them again in undeath.

Greater Bastethi are the largest and most sacred of these creatures who were kept in Nehekharan temples. In undeath, these Greater Bastethi are Reservoirs for Necromantic powers. They boost the strength of undead around them and can raise the dead themselves.

In practice we could see the Bestethi implemented like salamander hunting packs and the Greater Bastethi could function as a single entity Mortis Engine/Coven Throne for the Tomb Kings. (I hope we get some alive ones as well, if not for the TK then for Araby in the future).

Melee Bone Giant
Bone Giant melee variant.

Mummies
Mummies, like most of the Tomb Kings, are roused undead who, unlike zombies, still retain their faculties in the next life. These units hold sway over other lesser undead and are armed only with what they took with them to the grave. They may have magical attacks too.

Khemric Titan
Fuelled by the winds of magic: These Colossi even tower over the mighty Necrosphinx in size. They act like mechanical Canopic Jars or Tombs, since each of these constructs contain the resting place of a great Nehekharan hero or sometimes an entire Dynasty of warriors.

The Titans are able to open a portal to the land of the dead and suck its enemies into it. They cause terror and act as a conduit for the winds of magic.

Just like the Thunder Lizard for the Lizardmen, Verminlord for the Skaven, the Dark Elf Sea Dragon, Empire Landship, the Ghorgon for the Beastmen and other over the top units, I think that the Khemric Titan would be ideal for implementation in a super unit DLC similar to the Planet killers/space stations you see in 4X games like Endless Space and Stellaris or the Guardians from Endless Legend.

These units could not only be extremely powerful on the battlefield but they could also offer buffs to winds of magic, replenishment and so forth, outside of combat to their army or to the faction as a whole.

Ushabti with Great Weapons
Ushabti with lower defence but higher attack and AP.

Let me know what you think and don't be afraid to list something I missed :)
Post edited by SeanJeanquoi on

Comments

• neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 9,065
    edited August 2019
    I think the melee Bone Giant was probably planned to be added but they changed it for the ranged one, there was an official artwork for the melee one. I also remember someone talking about an unused animation for it in the files somewhere in a thread.

• Sparkwarrior777Sparkwarrior777 Registered Users Posts: 213
    Yay , I want the melee bone giant and scrab prince the most.
  • SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Registered Users Posts: 3,316
    @neodeinos

Yeah ive seen that artwork but I didn't register it was from WH2

I suppose it can sit along side the Merwyrm as things that would be a no brainier inclusion we will almost definitely see at some point considering they're already half done.
  • rafantomasrafantomas Registered Users Posts: 649
    Very nice job, OP. Keep up the work!
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 23,696
    So really only the Melee bone Giant.

Giant Robot Scarab fits the Necrons better than the TK. No thanks.
    If you have an issue with how forum guidelines are applied the forum Administrator responsible is CA_Grace who can also be contacted by Reddit.

Kia Kaha and C'est La Vie Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Registered Users Posts: 5,643
    Are the Bastethi from an official list? Never heard of them before. Even if they are just lore things is pretty cool, would like to see more cats in TW:WH!

But yeah I would love to see Sahenesmet and Apophas as a LH, and even if it is a little redundant seeing the melee bone giant would be cool.
  • BiesBies Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    I want Prince Apophas (looking badaaaass!) plus all units including mummies
    give us mummies!!

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

Goatforce said:

Are the Bastethi from an official list? Never heard of them before. Even if they are just lore things is pretty cool, would like to see more cats in TW:WH!

But yeah I would love to see Sahenesmet and Apophas as a LH, and even if it is a little redundant seeing the melee bone giant would be cool.

according to the Wiki they seem to be really old. from way back in 2nd edition.

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Bastethi

Even if they are just in lore I think they will likely be bundled in with Araby if we get it, considering they have an anaemic roster.
  • IokkoIokko Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 675
    I don't think we should get bastethi as a unit, but if we ever get the liche high priest, maybe they could have one as a mount option.

Other than that, would love to see prince apophas and sehenesmet make it in at some point, if TK ever get more content.
    Stating opinions as if they're facts in your signature and adding "Change my mind" doesn't make them facts, change my mind.
    Iokko said:

I don't think we should get bastethi as a unit, but if we ever get the liche high priest, maybe they could have one as a mount option.

Other than that, would love to see prince apophas and sehenesmet make it in at some point, if TK ever get more content.

why do you think we shouldn't get Bastethi?

Also, why does everyone want Apophas so much? hes the one I want the least out of all of these characters and units.
  • neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 9,065

Iokko said:

Also, why does everyone want Apophas so much? hes the one I want the least out of all of these characters and units.
    He has a really unique model, that's what people love about him I guess.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 2,982

Goatforce said:

Even if they are just in lore I think they will likely be bundled in with Araby if we get it, considering they have an anaemic roster.
    It's not the 2nd Edition of the tabletop wargame, its the 2nd Edition of the Roleplaying Game, which is a lot more recent, but arguably less relevant to massed armies.
  • PancakesPancakes Registered Users Posts: 378
    Tho remodeling rarely gets done I could easily see the Bastethi being implemented as a TK direwolf unit.

Goatforce said:

It looks like they are from the RPG 2nd edition (TKs weren't around until 6th I think in WHFB). Well, I wouldn't argue if CA decided to add them.
  • _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Registered Users Posts: 1,442
    Great thread, cannot await the following.

Imo the TK are in a good state and another generic lord is the only which is missing dor me. They are in no need of more LL, so a LH could be good. TK deserves another LL at the least faction except VP. There ate so much missding ones in other factions.

Unit wise the Bastheti sounds cool, but I think the hunting pack variant should be left out to let a hole in this part of the roster. The great one with necromantic abilities could be good.

I dont need extreme giant units like the giant scarab, thunder lizard abd co. They could be only good AI enemies, but would break your own army balance.
    @OP the reason I think we shouldn't get the bastethi as a unit is the same one mad doc mentioned, i feel like the lack of a "hound" type unit was left in their roster by design.

That is also why i liked the greater version more, possibly as a mount option for liche high priests: boosting undead around them and acting as a power reservoir sounds not only fun and thematic, but also like something that very much reinforces the tomb kings playstyle, rather than filling in intentional gaps in the roster.

I love when new units open up new strategies and creative builds, as long as they don't remove the factions' intended weaknesses.
    Stating opinions as if they're facts in your signature and adding "Change my mind" doesn't make them facts, change my mind.
    @Iokko

you make a good point. hope we can get some big cats in some capacity at some point though

@Iokko

you make a good point. hope we can get some big cats in some capacity at some point though

As someone who still has a little hope for Araby (yeah, i know) i totally agree.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 4,051

@Iokko

Oh they're coming, Ogre Kingdoms have Sabertusks. B)

On topic, if nothing else gets added then we need a Liche High Priest most of all. If I could pick one new character it'd be Sehenesmet, because really, what's not to love about a giant skeleton mechsuit lord leading their army?
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Bring back proper naval battles CA!!!
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Wyvax said:

@Iokko

On topic, if nothing else gets added then we need a Liche High Priest most of all. If I could pick one new character it'd be Sehenesmet, because really, what's not to love about a giant skeleton mechsuit lord leading their army?
    Yeah the lack of liche high priests still baffles me... Just why??
    Iokko said:

Wyvax said:

@Iokko

Yeah the lack of liche high priests still baffles me... Just why??
    It is incredibly strange. The only reason I can think of the whole unlock of a new army thing is tied to raising a new king. But that could easily be got around by saying that a king might send his best Liche Priest to represent him.
  • NyumusNyumus Registered Users Posts: 240

Iokko said:

I like his story, his model, and I love the scarab thing going on (Thats why I also like the Khemric Titan) and think he could be an nice LH tô have like Kroak is to the LZ
  • doktarrdoktarr Registered Users Posts: 283
    edited October 2019
    Tutankhanut would probably be my favorite of those LLs from a gameplay perspective, just because a mixed mechanic a-la Aranessa where you could have some Araby units mixed into the roster would be really cool. And in multiplayer adding a ranged TK lord would be nice.

Generic Lich Priest lord would be nice, especially for campaign. You'd still prefer the dynasty lords most of the time but you'd have the option to go for the priest lords if you run short of Lich Priests.

Melee Bone Giant would be great to get a second unit out of that structure (at the cost of adding another tier).

Mummies could be a small elite unit like Aspiring Champions for Chaos, and could provide a leadership boost like Longbeards. They could be available out of the Tomb Guard structure (either as a tier 4 or in place of one unit of Tomb Guard at tier 3), as they are not so different, lore-wise.

Basethi could have the Guardian ability, but they probabl works better just as a follower; no real need to appear on the battlefield.

Khemric Titan feels a bit over the top; more of a quest battle opponent than something I'd want to see fielded by players.
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Registered Users Posts: 4,310
    Kind of appropriate that a thread about Tomb Kings was brought back from the dead.

Though I'd never say no to more TK stuff, they're probably the most complete of all the booked races except for maybe the LM. That said, my top choice for a new LL would be Sehenesmet; we don't really have a construct focused TK faction yet and his could be very fun to play. I think Apophas might make more sense as a summon attached to an army ability or an item or something like that. He shouldn't lead though.

I'd take the Liche High Priest over the Tomb Herald all day. For one, the Tomb Herald is already accounted for in the TK tech-tree, being a follower you can research. Also, he'd fill a very similar role to the Tomb Prince and in fact the latter behaves more like a TT Tomb Herald on the battlefield than a TT Prince.

In terms of units, there's not much they need; I don't think Mummies are really a thing since it's specified that all Kings and Princes are mummified and that Tomb Guard are at least partially mummified. So the TKs already have mummies. I have no desire to see the Khemric Titan and although a Melee Bone Giant would be a nice to have, the TKs aren't really lacking for single-entity melee monsters; they already have 4.

The Bastethi are intriguing; something cool could be done there, though I agree a Warhound-ish unit would fill an intentional hole. It'd also disadvantage Arkhan since right now he's the only TK who has access to such a unit.

If anything, I might suggest Ushabti with Great Weapons; they were an option from the army book and could maybe fill an anti-large role (though that might detract from Sepulchral Stalkers).
  • CyberNguyenCyberNguyen Registered Users Posts: 68

@neodeinos

Yeah ive seen that artwork but I didn't register it was from WH2

I suppose it can sit along side the Merwyrm as things that would be a no brainier inclusion we will almost definitely see at some point considering they're already half done.

Man, I like your signature. I have just reviewed all of them
    @CyberNguyen

Thanks, I only just found out how signatures work the other day aha.
  • Blazindragon1737Blazindragon1737 Registered Users Posts: 19
    What about Necroserpents being a ranged warbeast unit similar to Salamanders but with poison?
  • Vladeks87Vladeks87 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Well tomb kings are good but they missing some thing:
    - much better Garrison Units
    - more Generic Lords/Heroes
    - more mounts options for Generic Lords/Heroes
    - more units: melee bone giant, tomb guard dual weapon, some new range units
    - little better support for range army
    - arkhan need more vampire units and need new skills for those units
    - khalida need some vampire hunting mechanic
    - settra need his hero guard and something else
    - khatep need some landmark