Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

New Game announcement imminent!

jamreal18jamreal18 Senior MemberPosts: 8,578Registered Users
edited August 12 in Total War General Chat
There is only "Total War Saga" forum section and once you click it, that's the only time you will see "Thrones of Britannia" as sub-forum section.

So it means "Troy" is going to be announced soon together with ToB as sub-forum section.

All Saga games will become sub-forum of SAGA section which is neat.

Want to have new section for this game soon so we can discuss our speculations, ideas, etc...

Comments

• ArneSoArneSo Posts: 985Registered Users
    I also realised it, the hype is real! Total war Saga: The Fall of Troy is coming.

Can’t wait to slaughter thousands of enemy units with Achilles.
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 685Registered Users
    ooohhhhhh I'm so excited!
  • united84united84 Posts: 584Registered Users
    Good observation. Looks like 3K will be set aside again for Warhammer DLC, Troy and then Elysium.
    RIP TW3K 2019 - 2019.
  • markp27markp27 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    So CA registered a game name and trademarked it. Which probably means they have started developing it but may not have yet, meaning that it probably won't be released for another 2+ years. Most companies trademark names way before release.
    CA already states that we will get another Saga title soon.
    Soon means before Warhammer 3 so a release in spring 2020 is realistic.

Saga titles doesn’t need no much time.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,578Registered Users
    ArneSo said:

Check out this video, its very nice with lots of insights...

ArneSo said:

I believe these things when CA announce them. Then expect them to delay the release for another 2 months :D

I won't buy any more products from CA though till I see fixes for 3k.
  • SecuterSecuter Senior Member Denmark, Aarhus.Posts: 2,319Registered Users
    united84 said:

Good observation. Looks like 3K will be set aside again for Warhammer DLC, Troy and then Elysium.
    RIP TW3K 2019 - 2019.

You are aware that they have more than 1 team, right?
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,487Registered Users
    markp27 said:

ArneSo said:

I believe these things when CA announce them. Then expect them to delay the release for another 2 months :D

CA already announced that a new saga game is in development
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    So why do you think it's Troy. Sincerely hope not.
  • dario6666dario6666 Posts: 187Registered Users
    edited August 12
    Hope to see them , a thousand troyan ships battle Nd not a fake static decoration ships mode!
    Hope to see balistas and at least one more siege weapon!
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on
    Argon said:

markp27 said:

ArneSo said:

Did they state it was Total War Troy in that announcement?
    CA registered a new trade mark in the UK named Total War Saga: Troy

So yeah it’s pretty much confirmed and we are just waiting for an OFFICIAL announcement.

• twwatchertwwatcher Posts: 2,179Registered Users
    They have just updated FotS to a saga:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-fall-of-the-samurai/

so maybe new title announcement not far off. Gamescom a possibility, seems rather quick to already have a first look:

https://gematsu.com/2019/08/sega-announces-gamescom-2019-lineup-including-unannounced-aaa-title
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Posts: 1,099Registered Users
    edited August 12
    LESAMA said:

CA has applied for such trademark: TOTAL WAR SAGA: TROY

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA and WARHAMMER campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Caledonii, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Gwined, Northumbria, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    Argwylon, Bretonnia, Carcassonne, Clan Angrund, Clan Skryre, Last Defenders, Nagarythe, Norsca, The Blessed Dread, The Empire, Von Carstein.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    RafSwi7 said:

LESAMA said:

CA has applied for such trademark: TOTAL WAR SAGA: TROY
    Thanks mate!
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,487Registered Users
    markp27 said:

Argon said:

markp27 said:

ArneSo said:

Did they state it was Total War Troy in that announcement?
    No, just Saga title by CA Sofia

My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
  • gholingholin Member Posts: 1,094Registered Users
    edited August 12
    Well the new game turned out to be... an old game. Fall of the Samurai is now a Saga title, standalone.

But, they did file for the trademark of Troy. So that's most likely coming in the near future too!

Finally, I can lead Hector, Paris, Troilus and Deiphobos, the princes of troy, to victory over those vile greeks!

We'll burn the Trojan Horse with Odysseus inside!

And then I'll play as the greeks. Hail to Diomedes Odysseus! Hope I can get Agamemnon killed even as greeks.

Troy, along with a Total War: Mythology, is a setting I've wanted forever, and with 3k's romance mode and Warhammer's fantasy, we might actually get some really cool mythological total war games!

Trojan War is one of my favorite things to study and read about and watch. Can't wait to play as all the great heroes (I hope!)
  • ArminageShikobaArminageShikoba Junior Member Posts: 171Registered Users
    edited August 12
    Just got to wonder how they will do it (Total War Saga: Troy that is), as it's all up int the air, you can set the factions based upon the leaders of the groups who took part in the war, but this battle supposedly took place 1000-1300BC. And the only thing they can really go off of is a poem.

Though this being said, I do hope this opens a new branch of games that could delve into Historical mythology/legend/folklore.
    I am wondering why they registered again, for a trademark.

• SchepelSchepel Senior Member Posts: 1,496Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

ArneSo said:

Check out this video, its very nice with lots of insights...

It is full of the worst kind of nonsense. MTW2 siege battles good? In which universe? Get cannon towers, sally out, wait for the guns to kill the enemy forces whilst drinking a cup of tea, end battle. No need to move a single soldier. The AI would just stand and die. To add insult to injury, the pathfinding was terrible. Half the time one was busy trying to shepherd units through the city. I could go on, but the simple fact is that MTW2 was a good game for its time, but one has to be delusional to consider it a better experience than anything that came after.

As for the comments on WH TW siege battles, the gentleman in the video has some odd ideas that make me wonder whether he has so much as played the game. He certainly doesn't seem to know the difference between tactics and strategy. At any rate, WH TW siege battles aren't the best and certainly feel like a bit of an afterthought in terms of battle maps but I would play a WH TW siege game over a MTW2 siege game any day of the week. For one simple reason. They work. The AI is effective. You can't just sit back and wait for the AI to die. You have to play the game.
    edited August 12
    @Schepel so it's better to degrade the siege gameplay for the AI to work rather than to upgrade the AI to adapt complex sieges?

He certainly doesn't seem to know the difference between tactics and strategy.
    He seems to know a lot in my opinion. So you really like the siege battles in recent titles compared to before?

--------------------
    twwatcher said:

They have just updated FotS to a saga:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-fall-of-the-samurai/

so maybe new title announcement not far off. Gamescom a possibility, seems rather quick to already have a first look:

So will CA going to move FotS under SAGA forum section?

Hope that unannounced AAA title is the new Saga game.
  • vintagepurplevintagepurple Posts: 702Registered Users
    Smart people don’t buddy up with buffoons like Sargon of Akkad.
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 780Registered Users
    Not sure how to feel about the Trojan war, if it features the full bronze age collapse with Eygpt, Assyria and Babylon then I’m all in, but if it’s just the Trojan war then I’m not that into it.
    edited August 13
    I guess the map will focus on Greece, it’s islands and some part of the Asian peninsula. Saga games will always zoom into a small geographical conflict.

The interesting thing is that during that time the different greek tribes, Cities and Kingdoms were more different to each other than they were in Rome 2. Not to talk about the mycenian and troyan culture which were both completely different.

Possible cultures could be:

Mycenians
    Troy
    Hethitians
    Proto-thracians
    Sea people

Greek tribes:
    Dorians
    Achaeans
    Ionians
    Aeolians

Every of these cultures could get a completely unique roster, mechanics and so on.
    We know that CA Sofia can do something really great out of it, just look how they did the Nuragic tribes, Samnites and Etruscans in Rise of the Republic.

I don’t think the game will step fully into mythology. It will more likely be like 3k and lean towards Homers Iliad. The historical context will be more or less correct but we will get heroes like Achilles, Nestor, Hector... as single fighting superheroes like in 3k.

Factions could be organised in 2 different ways:

1. Classic way
    the player controls a Kingdom, tribe, City state. So Odysseus would control the faction of Ithaka, Menelaos would control Sparta, Hector would be part of the Troyan faction together with Paris.

2. Warlord style
    like in 3k all these heroes represent their own faction. Not really sure how to represent that, but I would trust CA here.

I’m not sure which option would be better but I’m sure that Total war Troy will use a lot of mechanics from 3K.
    Every faction will have to face a dilemma early game.
    Odysseus will have to decide if he follows the story and goes to war with Agamemnon and Menelaos or will he make his own thing.

Motivating Achilles to join your faction for whatever could be fun and interesting.
    Maybe we get the guanxi and 3 heroes per army organisation back. So Achilles will be together with Patroklos. Just like Lü Bu starts with Zhang Liao in his army in 3K.

These things would make the campaign really interesting.
    Agamemnon would be like Yuan Shao with tons of Coalition partners and vassals to fight against Troy.

On the same way heroes could make their own way through this conflict. Achilles may decides to not join Odysseus to fight in Troy.

I’m super hyped!
    edited August 13
    ^I don't like the character class system of 3K. It's limiting the capabilities of characters according to their class.

Imagine Leonidas as either Sentinel, Commander, Champion, Strategist or Vanguard. So which class Leonidas belongs to?

Just give characters stats or traits according their personality.
    I’m not the biggest fan of it too but it would fit to represent the differences between heroes. Achilles for example is the greatest warrior of that period. Hector and Patroklos are gray warriors too. Odysseus on the other hand is more like a strategist and tactican. It would be weird if everybody would just be a great warrior.
    Same goes for Agamemnon who would more fit into something like a commander class.

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,933Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    It looks like the changes to the forum were to accomodate FOTS becoming a Saga title.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png

It looks like the changes to the forum were to accomodate FOTS becoming a Saga title.

So why did CA suddenly decide to change FotS into Saga unless it's marketing?

Anyways since both of them are Saga;
    FotS received post dlc
    ToB, no post dlc
    Why?

Which one do you think will Troy going to follow?

If I remember it right ToB didn’t get any DLCs because it’s success was so low that CA just selled it below costs.

Back in the day FotS was handled like Attila was, so not sure if CA will plan to add anything to Troy post launch.

I honestly liked ToB, some improvements were really neat! But it couldn’t motivate me for long and after 3 campaigns I got bored. So it was fine that it didn’t get any DLCs.

I have high hopes into CA Sofia, their DLCs are the best. (Yellow Turbans, RotR, Desert Kingdoms, Empire Devided)

So we can expect a lot of unit diversity. That was one of the biggest problems in ToB, Vikings and Saxons had nearly no visual differences in units.