Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

New Game announcement imminent!

2»

Comments

  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,073Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited August 13
    jamreal18 said:

    It looks like the changes to the forum were to accomodate FOTS becoming a Saga title.


    So why did CA suddenly decide to change FotS into Saga unless it's marketing?

    Anyways since both of them are Saga;
    FotS received post dlc
    ToB, no post dlc
    Why?

    Which one do you think will Troy going to follow?

    It's marketing https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-fall-of-the-samurai/ and https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/248768/total-war-saga-sale

    No idea on the second question.

    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

    |Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

    Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

    "We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 1,147Registered Users
    Not really an original choice. Let’s hope the game itself is more original.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,073Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Some off-topic comments removed. The focus of this thread is the imminent arrival of a new game - please stick to discussing that.

    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

    |Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

    Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

    "We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • markp27markp27 Posts: 1,297Registered Users

    Some off-topic comments removed. The focus of this thread is the imminent arrival of a new game - please stick to discussing that.

    Which makes me wonder why this thread has not been moved as it has nothing to do with Three Kingdoms.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,073Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    markp27 said:

    Some off-topic comments removed. The focus of this thread is the imminent arrival of a new game - please stick to discussing that.

    Which makes me wonder why this thread has not been moved as it has nothing to do with Three Kingdoms.
    Mainly because I didn't spot the location - thanks for the heads-up. Moved to Total War General Chat.

    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

    |Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

    Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

    "We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,208Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

    Anyways since both of them are Saga;
    FotS received post dlc
    ToB, no post dlc
    Why?

    I think it's because FotS was made before they came up with the Saga game set.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,589Registered Users
    Commisar said:

    jamreal18 said:

    Anyways since both of them are Saga;
    FotS received post dlc
    ToB, no post dlc
    Why?

    I think it's because FotS was made before they came up with the Saga game set.
    So Saga game are meant to be left as it is without support after release?

    Will Troy going to follow that path?
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,208Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

    I think it's because FotS was made before they came up with the Saga game set.

    So Saga game are meant to be left as it is without support after release?

    Will Troy going to follow that path?

    In general it seems they are intended as smaller, cheaper games on a flashpoint. So not much they can add. Extra campaigns or time periods don't fit which is what a lot of the DLCs we've had do. You could get culture packs but in ToB we already have the cultures...
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 685Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

    Commisar said:

    jamreal18 said:

    Anyways since both of them are Saga;
    FotS received post dlc
    ToB, no post dlc
    Why?

    I think it's because FotS was made before they came up with the Saga game set.
    So Saga game are meant to be left as it is without support after release?

    Will Troy going to follow that path?
    ToB was not left without support after it's release, it received some patches that changed a lot in the game and made it better. The reason why it did not get any DLC besides the blood pack, was that there just wasn't that much to add via DLC that wasn't already in the game.

    Not to mention that Saga titles are just meant to be smaller projects with a smaller team, they're not planned for a long term post-launch DLC support. And that's good, I actually like it. I can't play 3 TW titles constantly and get barraged with DLC's for all of them.


  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 2,463Registered Users
    Suliot said:

    jamreal18 said:

    Commisar said:

    jamreal18 said:

    Anyways since both of them are Saga;
    FotS received post dlc
    ToB, no post dlc
    Why?

    I think it's because FotS was made before they came up with the Saga game set.
    So Saga game are meant to be left as it is without support after release?

    Will Troy going to follow that path?
    ToB was not left without support after it's release, it received some patches that changed a lot in the game and made it better. The reason why it did not get any DLC besides the blood pack, was that there just wasn't that much to add via DLC that wasn't already in the game.

    Not to mention that Saga titles are just meant to be smaller projects with a smaller team, they're not planned for a long term post-launch DLC support. And that's good, I actually like it. I can't play 3 TW titles constantly and get barraged with DLC's for all of them.


    They're also meant to allow the dev team to experiment with new mechanics, features, systems, etc. They might have an idea for a really game-changing mechanic, but it may be too risky to implement it in a "Tent-pole" game like Warhammer or Three Kingdoms. As the Saga titles are smaller, cheaper to develop, and generally have a smaller and more dedicated playerbase (which also means they provide much more focused feedback), it allows them to experiment a lot more without the huge risk of the mechanic proving unpopular or not working well, and then requiring them to go through a massive overhaul process.

    Character satisfaction, Army supplies, faction dilemmas, revamped tech tree, "evolving" factions, mustering, and others were all first introduced in Thrones of Britannia, proved very popular with players and were then implemented in 3K (and may well make their way into Warhammer 3).
    The unpopular features in ToB - limited building options, finicky internal politics, estates - went through a few significant overhauls to try and get them right, but were ultimately scrapped for subsequent games.
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 780Registered Users
    The only unique thing that got carried over from Britannia is the ‘mustering’ recruitment. Everything else is present way before, mostly since Attila and Age of Charlemagne.

    Unfortunately I don’t think there’s many successful experiments from Tob.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,589Registered Users
    And it is Fall of the Samurai.
Sign In or Register to comment.