Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

SolvedCannot click in main menu

jauger83jauger83 Posts: 8Registered Users
edited September 13 in General Discussion
Not just Rome 2 but in Attila as well. I am unable to click on anything in the main menu. Each button lights up when I move the cursor over any button but clicking does nothing. I see others had this issue in the past but no one ever shared the solution. The mouse works in every application except in Total War games.

Thanks.
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• lilsweetcaligulalilsweetcaligula Posts: 284Registered Users
    @jauger83

It's hard for me to say - I personally never encountered this kind of issue before. Let's start with the troubleshooting basics... Could you please share your PC specs, e.g. GPU, RAM, OS?
    My personal favorite Total War games chart:
    I. Attila
    II. Rome II
    III. Napoleon
  • HerrickHerrick Posts: 177Registered Users
    Deactivated windows firewall

That happened to me all the time in Warhammer untill I deactivated it.
  • jauger83jauger83 Posts: 8Registered Users
    I will say it has always worked. The only thing that has changed is my monitor. The ratio is now 21:9. My PC has always run Total War games in the past and every other game works fine (with the exception of Dragon's Dogma but it is a known issue). Could resolution and ratio be a reason for this problem?

Thanks.
    @Herrick - I am not sure how this would fix the problem. Regardless, I tried and it did not work.

One other bit of information that might help is that I moved from the US to Brazil... But as I said above, every game in Steam works, except TW games.

Thanks.
    @jauger83 Hypothetically a display resolution could be a problem, albeit highly unlikely. I can't check right now, but what you could try is editing your preferences.script file.

You can find the file by going with your File Explorer to: %appdata%/The Creative Assembly/Rome2/scripts

Make a copy of the file just in case. In the original file, look up "gfx_fullscreen", and make sure the full line looks like this: "gfx_fullscreen false;". This will run your game in the window mode.

Run the game to see if you can click stuff in the window mode. Remember, that at this point the game should not run fullscreen.

I. Attila
    II. Rome II
    III. Napoleon
    edited August 13
    @lilsweetcaligula - Thank you for the responses. I have put it into windowed format and it is still not working. I removed and reinstalled Rome 2, still nothing. I can hit Y to open chat and type in chat but I cannot select or highlight within the chat space. AND the cursor changes its type if I move it over different things. Basically, the mouse and cursor and everything in between works except clicking.
    @jauger83 Have you tried deleting the preferences.script file? It occasionally helps solve some issues. Iirc, reinstalling the game does not necessarily delete your preferences.script file.

Also, while it does seems to be a software issue, I have to ask - what mouse are you using? Have you tried plugging in different mouses?
    I. Attila
    II. Rome II
    III. Napoleon
    edited August 14
    @lilsweetcaligula - Still nothing. Also, I tried "continue Campaign" and it crashed to desktop. I am starting to think even more so now, that it is either the game or location.

Is there a way to see if I have a "global" license for the game? I have purchased game keys from third party sites (G2K) in the past and I am not sure if this is one of them. I saw that some games said for US only while others say Global...

Also, is this the best place for this thread? I was hoping to see CA respond at least at this point...
    @jauger83

I think this forum would be a more appropriate place, but chances of any response at this point are very slim: https://forums.totalwar.com/categories/rome-ii-support-area

If you can hook up your PC to another monitor and test on there, I would recommend it as the next troubleshooting step.

If that doesn't work, try updating the GPU drivers. It's highly unlikely that it helps, but at least you will know that you tried.

If it still doesn't work with the new monitor and the fresh GPU drivers and you strongly suspect it could be an issue with the game, what you could try is wait for the Steam sale, get the game on Steam, launch it, check if it works. If it doesn't, quit the game immediately and request a refund.

I don't remember the exact requirements of the Steam refund policy, but one of them is that only the games you played under 2 hours are refundable. Oh, and if it's your first Steam refund, it should be quick.

I never actually refunded a game, so be careful. There's always a small risk that a refund will be rejected.
    I. Attila
    II. Rome II
    III. Napoleon
    @lilsweetcaligula - I have over 600 hours in Rome 2 and I love this game too much to consider refunding it... This is why I am very confused why it would just stop working. I assume it might be a national licensing issue that I will talk to CA about. Thank you very much for the commentary and help! I will try in the other forum as well.

Cheers!
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,073Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    @jauger83 when you deleted the preferences.script did you delete any of the other files in the Appdata folder? Sometimes it's better to remove all sub-folders except the save_games and replays folders.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
    jauger83 said:

@lilsweetcaligula - I have over 600 hours in Rome 2 and I love this game too much to consider refunding it...

I mean you could purchase a Steam copy in Brazil and see if it solves the problem. By refunding I was referring to the Steam copy you would buy locally, given that it turns out to not be the problem.

And yeah, I understand just what you mean, I really like this game too.
    I. Attila
    II. Rome II
    III. Napoleon
  • mfr001mfr001 Senior Member Posts: 215Registered Users
    It is possible that Rome 2 (and possibly other recent Total War games) are region locked. In that case, a version bought in the US may not work in Brazil. You could take this up with the supplier you bought the game from. You might need to take this up with Sega or Steam help desks.
    I figured it out! It was some random X-Mouse Button Control program on my computer... Deleted and now it works!
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,073Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    That's good news. I'll mark the matter Solved.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png