Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Next TW fantasy game Game of Thrones Vs Lord of The Rings (Simarillion/Hobbit) what your choice??

Unknown6203Unknown6203 Posts: 669Registered Users
edited August 14 in Total War General Chat
Just wanted to know if you could choose between the two and only these two what would you choose? and why it fits the TW games? these two would be excellent additions.

I personally would like Game of Throne since i am so tired of Elves, Dwarfs, Orcs. and games of thrones it's a bit more realistic. and i really want to see more realistic fantasy settings. just my opinion.

Respect your fellow forum member some of you take things too serious, i will report.

Comments

• SchwarzhelmSchwarzhelm Posts: 733Registered Users
    I never understand why people think GoT would be a great TW setting.
    It is a great story but what would qualify it to be made into a game?

LotR would fit better and the setting would bring armies who would be diffrent from faction to faction.

But to be honest I want neither GoT or lotr.
    For me GoT has nothing that would make it interesting in a TW game and I was never such a big fan Lotr.
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Posts: 725Registered Users
    That’s a tough one since both are great franchises. I guess if I had to choose one it would be LOTR just because of the unit variety.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 15,368Registered Users
    GoT would be pretty boring. LotR would at least be interesting.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Posts: 2,055Registered Users
    Lord of the rings of course.

I can recommend third age submod divide & conquer for medieval 2, its a master piece they scavenged trough all the the avaible lore(there is a lot of it, thanks to tolkien) to build the factions I played this mod around 200+ hours.
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Posts: 2,109Registered Users
    I choose Iron Kingdoms!

But if I had to choose what you proposed LotR. GoT makes little sense for Total War, it would just be Thrones plus White Walkers
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 5,316Registered Users
    I'd be inclined to go with LOTR as well. Game of Thrones really only had the White Walkers, Daenerys' dragons, the Red Priests, and the Faceless as fantasy elements. LOTR is still relatively light on fantasy elements, particularly among the "good" factions (the quotation marks apply just as much as they do in WFB!), but I think it holds up better as a fantasy setting... and could potentially be set in the time of the Silmarillion or something like that.

It'd be interesting to see CA create a fantasy IP from scratch, though.
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Posts: 4,092Registered Users
    edited August 14
    LotR has proven it can be a great setting because of all the amazing mods people have made for older TW games. After that last season I'm surprised anyone would be shameless enough to want a GoT anything.
  • BronzebeardBronzebeard Posts: 136Registered Users
    GoT is mostly normal people, so might as well do Medieval 3.

• KPAc77KPAc77 Posts: 15Registered Users
    None - Id prefer at medieval comapred to a GOT. And WH is superior to LOtR.
  • EterlikEterlik Posts: 38Registered Users
    I would prefer Lord of the Rings. It has way more fantasy in there and could lead to some interesting campaigns, (destroying the ring, killing the fellowship of the ring, taking over control over cities before the ring hobbit arrives there)
    Also it provides diversity in armies.

With GoT... i imagin it pretty much like 3 kingdoms. Focus on diplomacy, with some few added fantasy elements.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 9,989Registered Users
    LOTR would inarguably be a better TW game of the two.

I still think the next fantasy title will be a 40k trilogy though.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • ReeksReeks Posts: 1,768Registered Users
    LOTR is still in my mind the best fantasy ever created and i´m of the opinion that a Total War LOTR would not just be great but it would be the crème de la crème of Total War games period.

Imagine playing as all the larger than life characters.........True glory it would be!
  • the_real_weedthe_real_weed Member Posts: 238Registered Users
    edited August 14
    I like both franchises but i can´t imagine how CA can bring them into the TW formula. GoT is more likely to happen because it is near to a medival game which CA has done before with Med 1+2. Just ad some unique Gameplay Mechanics and troops + fantasy stuff. We already have the family mechanics+ dipomacy.

LotR is one of my favorites but how could this happen? There are less mystical creatures and if there are some they are very rare like the balrog or dragons. It wouldn´t fit into the lore to add hundrets of balrogs or dragons. And of course there are these 2-3 great battles in the books/films everybody is dreaming of having them in a game to play over and over again- but besides these battles there are pretty much nothing we can relate to. GoT has some pretty big citys/castles we could besiege.

Also there would be no real diplomacy in LotR because there are no orcs in peace with humans.

WHEN there is a new fantasy TW franchise in the pre production i think it is more likely GoT than LotR. Maybe it is also a different franchise no one has mentioned before... .
    edited August 14
    I don´t think that both are easy options. LotR is more likely no good choice because of varios reasons. There is no real diplomacy between the races, there is no political /family mechanic. Besides the 2-3 big battles everyone want to play by themselves there is nothing we can relate to. No big cities or villages we know.

More likely is a GoT TW. Many of the existing formula can be used in diplomacy, family tree, political actions. They just have to add some mystical stuff and voila!. There are also some big castles and cities to besiege.

Im a big fan of LotR but i think IF one of these two should happen it would be GoT TW. It should be easier to get the licence of GoT than LotR.
  • makar55makar55 Posts: 1,533Registered Users
    I would just vote against GoT. Its like ToB, but with Dragons, does not worth fantasy title at all.
  • BetoBotBetoBot Posts: 243Registered Users
    Warhammer 4.. And 5.... And 6...

The fantasy setting is not going to improve with LOTR or got....
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 5,831Registered Users
    Game of Thrones wouldn't be interesting enough setting wise for me. Nor "unit diversity" wise. I used to be a big fan of the Lord of the Rings but not really anymore but I'd still pick it over Game of Thrones.
    Lord of the Undermountain
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 4,819Registered Users
    ASoIaF over GoT. There are tons of fantastic elements. It could be the darkest TW yet if done right. Adult only game.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• arghozarghoz Junior Member Posts: 257Registered Users
    Lotr. GoT would be boring, it would just be tons of human factions. Middle-earth is a much more richer and interesting universe.
    edited August 14
    arghoz said:

Lotr. GoT would be boring, it would just be tons of human factions. Middle-earth is a much more richer and interesting universe.

As a big Fan of LotR: NO it isn´t. There are some mystic elements but besides the orcs there are only rare mystical creatures. Nothing what you could use in an army. TW Warhammer was the right decision at this time.

LotR is in the end of the "mystical Age" it is the dawn of the age of men and it wouldn´t fit in the lore when you bring an army of ents besides aragorn on the field.

There are also only 5 wizards in the hole universe. no diplomatic actions between the good and the bad guys. etc.

compared with the ASoIaF it would be the worst choice. Just read in the subwiki of ASoIaF. There is plenty of hidden lands and mystical creatures like vyvern, lindworms and even lizardmen. GoT is not identical with ASoIaF. Its not just westeros- CA could expand the map to the east to essos and the shadowlands. Magic is a daily thing there. I think it would be cool to have a more human part of the world (westeros) and a mystical part (rest).

Don´t get me wrong: i would love to get a LotR (strategy) Game again. But TW is the wrong franchise for it.
  • Cortes31Cortes31 Posts: 624Registered Users
    Simarillion

But a Total War Elder Scrolls would be nice too.

arghoz said:

As a big Fan of LotR: NO it isn´t. There are some mystic elements but besides the orcs there are only rare mystical creatures. Nothing what you could use in an army. TW Warhammer was the right decision at this time.

LotR is in the end of the "mystical Age" it is the dawn of the age of men and it wouldn´t fit in the lore when you bring an army of ents besides aragorn on the field.

There are also only 5 wizards in the hole universe. no diplomatic actions between the good and the bad guys. etc.

compared with the ASoIaF it would be the worst choice. Just read in the subwiki of ASoIaF. There is plenty of hidden lands and mystical creatures like vyvern, lindworms and even lizardmen. GoT is not identical with ASoIaF. Its not just westeros- CA could expand the map to the east to essos and the shadowlands. Magic is a daily thing there. I think it would be cool to have a more human part of the world (westeros) and a mystical part (rest).

Don´t get me wrong: i would love to get a LotR (strategy) Game again. But TW is the wrong franchise for it.
    That's a lot of excuses as to why it couldn't happen. "No diplomacy"? What do you think the council of Elrond was?

Ents, Eagles, Ravens, Beornings, Wizards

Wargs, Trolls, Orcs, Goblins, Uruks, Spiders, Necromancers, Fell Beasts, Mumakil, Balrogs, Dragons.

That's just off the top of my head.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • LoffenmeisterLoffenmeister Posts: 87Registered Users
    Out of the two? LOTR anyday, i dont see how got would be intresting, no unitvariety and a miniscule amaount of actual fantasy.

arghoz said:

That's a lot of excuses as to why it couldn't happen. "No diplomacy"? What do you think the council of Elrond was?

Wargs, Trolls, Orcs, Goblins, Uruks, Spiders, Necromancers, Fell Beasts, Mumakil, Balrogs, Dragons.

How much wizards do we know of? right. 5! How many Ents are there? 30? There where about 5-10 Balrogs which are known in the books. Does Elrond talk with the orcs? Or is your diplomacy only for one side ?

Sorry but LotR doesn´t fit to Tota War.

arghoz said:

How much wizards do we know of? right. 5! How many Ents are there? 30? There where about 5-10 Balrogs which are known in the books. Does Elrond talk with the orcs? Or is your diplomacy only for one side ?

And there's only ever been 12 steam tanks made. You should see how many when I play The Empire.
  • NiggeyNiggey Junior Member Posts: 34Registered Users
    edited August 14
    Warhammer 40k pls! Even though I can only choose between those two!

Cool races, lot of monsters, big explosions. With a new cool galaxy map or just on a planet, I dont care.

edited August 14

arghoz said:

And there's only ever been 12 steam tanks made. You should see how many when I play The Empire.
    Well the Tanks are somehow builded by someone. You can create more if you want. But you cant create more Ents, Wizards or Necromancers...

The wizards in LotR have colours for their rank inside of the order of wizards (remember there where only 5 wizards (Istari) ever sent to middleearth. To write in new wizards would break the lore. WB and the heirs of tolkin wouldn´t allow that.
  • petertel123petertel123 Junior Member Posts: 719Registered Users
    Neither of these is ever going to happen because the licenses are too expensive.
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 2,818Registered Users

arghoz said:

Well the Tanks are somehow builded by someone. You can create more if you want. But you cant create more Ents, Wizards or Necromancers...

The wizards in LotR have colours for their rank inside of the order of wizards (remember there where only 5 wizards (Istari) ever sent to middleearth. To write in new wizards would break the lore. WB and the heirs of tolkin wouldn´t allow that.
    Nope, the plans for Steam Tanks were lost with their creator as I recall, no one knows how to build more.

Also, who said that a LotR TW would be set at the end of the Third Age? They could set it in the time of Morgoth for all we know in which case there would be a lot more fantasy critters running about, or at the end of the second age to cash in on the Amazon TV series coming out (assuming they get the rights to LotR at all).
  • TumbleTumble Posts: 457Registered Users
    Neither. Got left a lot of people unhappy and lotr is no longer current (unless the amazon TV series is good).

2nd issue is got is basically just medieval units plus 3 dragons. Middle earth has diversity but if you wanted to go down the Tolkien route, further in the past would offer more armies and conflict - but is there really a need for more dwarves, elves and goblins fighting one another? We have Warhammer and Warhammer does it better.