Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Reasons why settlements should change their skins again

ArneSoArneSo Posts: 592Registered Users
edited August 14 in General Discussion
First of all, regional occupation was bad but the current way isn’t good either.
I don’t expect any changes in game 2 but hopefully in game 3.

The main reason to play factions like Dwarfs or LM is to rebuild their old lost cities and to free them from bloody Greenskins and other creatures.
Right now it isn’t possible because Dwarfs will just live in GS settlements and LM will live in any kind of settlement they find in Lustria. This is not only immersion breaking, but also lazy in my opinion.

There are some arguments against settlements changing their skin airing around this forum, but let me explain why they are wrong.

1. Argument: it would be to much work to implement all these different skins with so many different landscapes.

That’s simply wrong, because we already have each kind of City in Most Parts of the map.
Empire skin Cities already exist in the Jungle and in the Desert. (Skeggi, Sudenburg)
Tomb Kings have settlements in Lustria and Naggaroth.
But the Vampire Counts are the best example. They had Cities in the desert and in the jungle before the last 2 Races. They have a settlement in the mountains with Kemmler.
The same goes for DE and HE which both have settlements in every type of nature.
So the Skins are already there, the view of an Bretonian or Empire City in the desert is just epic! I want more of that, it makes Sieges more interesting. Just fight a siege battle in Sudenburg and tell me it doesn’t look amazing.

2. Argument: why should a race destroy an existing city with good buildings?

That may work for humans in our world but Warhammer is a fantasy setting.
Would humans life in an orc camp? Would HE or LM live in anything what’s not their culture? No of course not, they would build their own houses instead of populating foreign ones which are not constructed for their needs.
When Alexander conquered Egypt, did he say: „well those giant pyramids would be a great place to live for me and thousands of other people!“ No he built Alexandria together with many other Cities.
So why should the Empire occupy TK settlements and start to build economy buildings there? A tavern inside an ancient Pyramid? Sounds fun maybe but is not really immersive.

3. Argument: the time span is just to short to rebuild entire giant Cities.

Well, it’s still a game and I‘m sure a Slann that can move mountains can build a Temple within a week or so.
That’s the entire point of conquering settlements, especially in a scenario like Warhammer where most races hate each other to death. Every race would instantly destroy an orc camp and build up their own stuff nearby. The Empire and Bretonia would remove all the dark vampiric stuff from Mousillion and make it a nice place again.

In my opinion it should be handled like in any other total war game, were the player needs to convert a settlement and it’s buildings to his culture first to use it completely with all its bonuses. Skins instantly changing after occupying was silly.
Furthermore it would be way more refreshing to fight in different settlements all the time. As Vampire Counts you only fight in Empire and Dwarf cities for the main time of the campaign. I want to build up an dark empire with spooky castles instead of sigma temples. It might not be absolutely realistic that a City changes within a couple of turns, but it’s still a game!
When I spend money for a building chain called „temple city“ I want to see a temple City and not a human Town.

For me this problem is the main reason why I can’t enjoy warhammer 2. I tried to but it’s still starts to annoy me as soon as I see Dwarfs living in orc camps, LM living in human towns and so on.

Please CA change that for game 3!

Comments

• Nitros14Nitros14 Junior Member Posts: 1,577Registered Users
    I'd like the Attila model back where you have to convert captured settlements to your building type before you can get use out of them.
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 592Registered Users
    Exactly this is my suggestion too! In Attila it was extremely expensive but I don’t mind that in Warhammer.
  • FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Posts: 991Registered Users
    I don't care about this, I don't want it and I would not fund it with my purchase decisions. If this really is why you don't enjoy the game, I'd recommend you stop playing games you don't enjoy.
    @FrostPaw it’s your personal opinion and that’s absolutely fine, but a lot of players care about it.

Well actually I did stop playing the game to be honest, even if I really love it. I just gave Noctilus a try again because he doesn’t need to conquer regions so it worked out for me. But Dwarfs and VC are unplayable for me.

It was like that in every other total war game so there is no reason why it is like that in warhammer.
  • neodeinosneodeinos Posts: 720Registered Users
    FrostPaw said:

I don't care about this, I don't want it and I would not fund it with my purchase decisions. If this really is why you don't enjoy the game, I'd recommend you stop playing games you don't enjoy.

Did you know that you can dislike something but still enjoy the game ?
  • Federykx99Federykx99 Posts: 468Registered Users
    I partially agree, but in some cases I think it doesn't make sense.

Like it wouldn't make sense for humans to conquer a dwarven settlement and raze it/rebuild it since they lack the knowhow to create cities under the mountains.

Likewise, it wouldn't make sense for Greenskins and Skaven to destroy a dwarven or human town and rebuild their own structures, they are just going to use the existing structures and defile them.
    Same reasoning goes for the Vampire **** and the Dark Elves.

Lizardmen would raze everything probably, but it's not like they can build temple cities out of thin air. They cannot in fact create new spawn pools and are stuck in a losing battle.

Now, were High Elves/Dwarves/Empire/Brets to conquer a Greenskin/skaven/Vampire Coast settlement, would they raze and build their own structures? Probably.
    But would the empire do the same to a bretonnian city? Would the high elves do it to an imperial town? Most likely not.

Hell, the empire is much more likely to cleanse and resettle a conquered vampire settlement than to destroy it outright.

If we were to remain lore friendly, I think it would be too much work to make all this justice, that's why I feel it may not be a good idea.
    edited August 14
    It doesn’t make sense for every race of course but gameplay wise it would be good. My point is that when you play the empire and conquer a Bretonia settlement you build an Empire City anyways. Just look at the building chain. It’s. It called occupied Bretonian City, it’s basically an empire city you are upgrading. It is just not visible.

Not to talk about the situation when you re colonise a razed City...

It should just be like in every other game. Conquer a City and then convert it to your culture. If you are happy with the old skin you can just leave it. Why should the empire upgrade an High Elve City? They are not able to do so.

So to make it equal it should be possible for every race. It’s still a game.

In Rome 2 you could convert Rome or Alexandria into a barbaric settlement. Is it historical? No! But it’s gameplay and you simply spread you culture and paint the map. Painting the map is the only reason to conquer at all.

Examples:
    When I play HE I want to build new Colonies, same goes for the empire when I conquer Lustria.

Right now Lokhirs Start settlement Chupayotl will be a DE city for ever. It’s name is literally the name of a LM temple city so I want to replace that with a nice golden Ziggurrat when playing LM. I don’t even have the chance to change it... why should Chupayotl be a DE City when it’s owned by LM?

• Cortes31Cortes31 Posts: 574Registered Users
    FrostPaw said:

I don't care about this and I would not fund it with my purchase decisions.

+1
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 14,661Registered Users
    edited August 14
    CA have stated it's too much work, hence why it's not happening.

If you want it that much it's really a question of what you're willing to give up to get it.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • goliath55goliath55 Posts: 290Registered Users
    I would like it but have made peace with the fact we probably won't. The whole climate/ region suitability thing needs a revamp. It's frustrating having this big sandbox world but being tied to very linear expansion paths every campaign.

If you want it that much it's really a question of what you're willing to give up to get it.

I'd love to see where they said that.
  • VildvargVildvarg Posts: 108Registered Users
    FrostPaw said:

So you're saying that if they corrected this by putting it in game 3, since it was in game 1 and it not being in game 2 was likely an oversight due to eliminating racial restrictions on territories, that you wouldn't buy game 3?

It's a small change really, I doubt they'd throw themselves out of their timeline implementing it and it only helps immersion and making it feel more polished.
    If that's really your opinion I'm curious of your reasons behind it, because you seem needlessly aggressively opposed to it.
  • SteelRoninSteelRonin Junior Member ChilePosts: 587Registered Users
    ArneSo said:

Right now Lokhirs Start settlement Chupayotl will be a DE city for ever. It’s name is literally the name of a LM temple city so I want to replace that with a nice golden Ziggurrat when playing LM. I don’t even have the chance to change it... why should Chupayotl be a DE City when it’s owned by LM?

Same with The Awakening, is a Vampirate Settlement and, in fact, it should be a LM Ziggurat.

But if I am The Empire and I conquer Khemri, why should I destroy the white pyramid?....it makes no sense.....Hitler did not destroyed the Eiffel Tower when Germany conquered France in WW2.

Looks like re-skin settlements works for some factions....or for settlements without landmarks....
    The example of nazi Germany conquering France doesn’t work and is absolutely ridiculous. Those are 2 human European nations with more or less the same needs. German and French buildings and cities look more or less the same from an architectural perspective.

In warhammer we have races like lizardmen, undead skeletons, small dwarfs, goblins, normal humans and more.

Can humans live inside the white pyramid? No it’s a Mausoleum, so if humans want to live in Khemri they need to build their own stuff because everything else is in ruins. Humans can not live in Ruins, humans don’t want to live in Ruins. Pyramids are not made for humans to live there.

So answer my question please, when Alexander conquered Egypt, what did he do?

A: let his men live inside the great pyramids because „hey it’s a good solid building“

B: Build Alexandria for Hellenic settlers to leave his mark in Egypt.

Another question, what did European settlers do when their arrived in America?

A: lived in Indiana tents because „why should they bother building their own houses when they have a nice warm tent to live in?“

B: built Cities like New York & Boston to have a place to live in a foreign place

Back to Warhammer, the Empire founded the Colony of Sudenburg to have a place to live in the southlands. So if they would conquer the region of Khemri they would build another Colony there because they can’t live in a Pyramid.

• Sparkwarrior777Sparkwarrior777 Posts: 30Registered Users
    FrostPaw said:

Wow that was unnecessarily aggressive, is to wrong to want something? So any thing we would like to see in a game should never be mentioned? Heck I would love to see this implemented but I still enjoy warhammer and I’m going to keep playing.
    The OP never mention this was a deal breaker for him he just stated some reasons why the arguments against It were unfounded.
  • xXAlduin99xXAlduin99 Posts: 129Registered Users
    the whole argument "is it really needed?" does not work. the battle and Campaign music is also not "needed" in the game to make the game work. so let's remove music and save money? great, goodbye immersion.

immersion is Important. and the immersion is very damaged in WH2 because of this.

the guy who made the Empire ruin bug fix mod said it should be moddable now with scripting because CA uses a new script function for mordheim to give its special skin. However i am not 100% sure if this is true because I am no modder. nobody did it yet as far as i know

and no, the clipping and flickering issue simulator aka cultural settlements skins mod is not an alternative. it does not work most of the time, looks wrong and takes FPS away. no offense, not the modders fault.

the guy who made the GCCM mod posted screenshots of ingame Data in my thread a while ago. there is code for skin variations. however it's unused and does not work. He even made a Altdorf skin occupied by lizardmen which looked extremely cool

i really hope in WH3 things will be different.

the whole argument "is it really needed?" does not work. the battle and Campaign music is also not "needed" in the game to make the game work. so let's remove music and save money? great, goodbye immersion.

immersion is Important. and the immersion is very damaged in WH2 because of this.

the guy who made the Empire ruin bug fix mod said it should be moddable now with scripting because CA uses a new script function for mordheim to give its special skin. However i am not 100% sure if this is true because I am no modder. nobody did it yet as far as i know

and no, the clipping and flickering issue simulator aka cultural settlements skins mod is not an alternative. it does not work most of the time, looks wrong and takes FPS away. no offense, not the modders fault.

the guy who made the GCCM mod posted screenshots of ingame Data in my thread a while ago. there is code for skin variations. however it's unused and does not work. He even made a Altdorf skin occupied by lizardmen which looked extremely cool

i really hope in WH3 things will be different.

That's probably possible to do but a lot of work for a small thing.
    It’s not a small thing in my opinion, the visual effects of Dwarfs or Orcs occupying a region was so beautiful in game 1. Of course we could remove ALL visual effects and the game would still work, but it would be on one level with Europa universalis or other games of that genre. Don’t wanna talk bad about these games, but from visual and graphical aspects total war games are superior and on another level. Total War Warhammer is a AAA title not a semi well made indie game.

Furthermore, we already have a battlemap for an Empire City in the desert and in the Jungle (Skeggi and Sudenburg) So an unique battlemap just for one single settlement? It’s a waste in my opinion. Why make this battlemap if it’s only available when attacking Sudenburg? You nearly never get there in most campaigns.

All these arguments about “would a race keep the settlement or destroy it” are senseless becauste the skin doesn’t even change when you recolonise a ruin.

“Hey my Dawi friend look at this totally destroyed HE City, wouldn’t it be funny to just rebuild it like HE would do it?”

Doesn’t make sense right? 😂🤷‍♂️

I think it’s just an oversight from CA and will be changed in game 3. Those flags just feel beta...
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 3,892Registered Users
    I don't think it's an oversight. It's an issue of the amount of work, even as small as it would be. RO in game 1 meant that there were only 2 types of city for each settlement. VC/Human or Dwarf/Greenskin with the Dwarf and Greenskin getting the biggest visual change with totems and such spread out into the mountains. However, you're now talking about more than a dozen races and likely more than 20 by the time the game ends. That's a lot of variations on different cities. Now while that poses absolutely no problem in an open field where the settlement can just be plopped down, it becomes more problematic with mountain settlements where you can't just drop a human city vertically on the side of a mountain. Dwarf and greenskin settlements in game 1 had different accessories that made them look much more unique and cooler.

That leaves two options, first, a lot of work to make all different types of cities work on every settlement spot, or move all settlements to a clear open spot where any city can be easily placed. I definitely don't want settlements removed to where they will be the easiest to change, but become the least visually interesting or lore breaking.

The first would be great, but it'd be a lot of work despite what some may say here. It isn't just an oversight of "oh, we forgot to click this button to have the settlements change." It's a matter of making each faction's settlement type visually work and be distinct for each potential settlement. The good news is this is mostly a one time thing. Once a race's settlement type has been made for a spot it'll never have to be made again so making these for the final combined campaign would make the most sense, but it's time and money that could be spent in making units and mechanics or fixing bugs which I think most people would rather have.

It sucks that a small visual change on the campaign map has made the game unplayable for you. I mean, I think that's extremely hyperbolic that a game becomes unplayable because of how some of the cities look since it in no way affects gameplay or the ability to run the game, but I also get that people have their own priorities and if this affects your ability to enjoy the game then that's all there is to it. But it's such a minor thing that has no effect on how the game plays that I hope you can understand why some people aren't championing this cause. They'd rather that money go to making the game play better than changing a small visual that has little effect on the rest of the game.

tl;dr, I'd love it if they did it. They likely aren't doing it for a reason. It isn't worth the potential cost for what is not a game selling feature.
    I am incredibly mad and angry at whatever someone insinuated could possibly, but not likely, happen in the WH series today and CA must answer for this with an explanation of why they might possibly, but didn't do this!!!
    It doesn’t ruin the game for me but it’s a big issue.

Like I already said in my original post, it wouldn’t be to much work. They just changed the Skin of that City were Kemmler got moved. It is vampiric now and had a Dwarf skin before.

Same for the Vampirates Cities outside of the Vampire Coast.

Chupoyatl were Lokhir starts is now DE after the FLC. So the assets are there to have DE Cities in different climatic areas.

When it’s not to much work to change these skins for creating new start positions it’s probably also not to much work to make it change when conquering. Empire City Maps with Jungle and desert landscape are possible. They already exist. But only for Skeggi and Sudenburg. The problem is that these skins are hardcoded for some reason. I don’t have experience in modding so I don’t know about these things, just heard that.

That’s why I said that the „to much work“ argument is wrong because it’s already there. Just use the Sudenburg battlemap again when an empire faction conquers Khemri for example.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 6,277Registered Users
    Honestly... the new climate system just sucks. Not because it's a bad idea, but because it was implemented by a crack junkie.

Like... I'm sorry, but basically every race in the game likes temperate lands.

Making greenskins randomly dislike temperate (remember - the empire had to CLEAR THOSE LANDS of greenskins to settle it...), or random dark elves LIKING tundra (or jungle!)... I mean hells bells. It needs to make sense. Some areas are just worth fighting over and some aren't. And in cases like the Dark Elves where they'd start in unfavorable terrain? THAT IS THE POINT! Why do you think they run around enslaving everyone and pillaging? Cuz they live in a ****hole. They can't hack a nice life any other way there.

The climate restrictions unduly promote races in strange places and unfairly suppress the races that are more climate welcoming.

ROs problem is that it was even MORE randomly restricting and wound up making huge attrition-deserts for all.
    Itharus said:

Honestly... the new climate system just sucks. Not because it's a bad idea, but because it was implemented by a crack junkie.

Like... I'm sorry, but basically every race in the game likes temperate lands.

Making greenskins randomly dislike temperate (remember - the empire had to CLEAR THOSE LANDS of greenskins to settle it...), or random dark elves LIKING tundra (or jungle!)... I mean hells bells. It needs to make sense. Some areas are just worth fighting over and some aren't. And in cases like the Dark Elves where they'd start in unfavorable terrain? THAT IS THE POINT! Why do you think they run around enslaving everyone and pillaging? Cuz they live in a ****hole. They can't hack a nice life any other way there.

The climate restrictions unduly promote races in strange places and unfairly suppress the races that are more climate welcoming.

ROs problem is that it was even MORE randomly restricting and wound up making huge attrition-deserts for all.

Some climate are so dumb, like Alith Anar having the Ulthuan climate unpleasant. Just why ?
    ArneSo said:

Can humans live inside the white pyramid? No it’s a Mausoleum, so if humans want to live in Khemri they need to build their own stuff because everything else is in ruins. Humans can not live in Ruins, humans don’t want to live in Ruins. Pyramids are not made for humans to live there.

Well, Humans used to live in Tomb King cities......but I find more ridiculous to raze the pyramid and building houses in its place.....that is expensive in work and time....it does not make any sense....Empire humans would build their cities near the Pyramid....that is more logical.......Some races won't destroy Landmarks, that is my point.

General speaking, Greenskins and Lizardmen are the factions that can change / raze other faction settlements. Greenskins will put bones, wood and big orc skulls in every settlement, and lizardmen will raze everything to build a Ziggurat.

edited August 14
    But they lived there thousands of years ago. Right now Tomb Cities are no places for humans, they are basically ruins. So that’s my point, most factions would build they own stuff nearby and don’t bother about the pyramid. Tourism isn’t a thing in the warhammer world.

But in the current state of the game humans just live in those tomb cities like everything is fine.

In Attila the player needed to convert a roman city into his barbaric culture what was extremely expensive. It basically was the same in Rome 2 but cheaper. Why isn’t it the same in warhammer?

Conquer a city, convert it, use it’s full advantages. In Rome 2 Barbaric factions weren’t able to upgrade a roman settlement. How should they? They don’t know how to build such Cities.
    So you needed to convert it first and then you could upgrade it. (Worked vic versa)
    It should be the same in Warhammer.
    Humans from the empire don’t know how to build LM temple Cities or Pyramids, or HE Cities, or DE Cities, or Dwarf Cities, so why are they able to do so? They just know how to build human empire style buildings.
    I would love to see empire buildings around the pyramid, but that mixed skins won't happen.
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 3,892Registered Users
    ArneSo said:

It doesn’t ruin the game for me but it’s a big issue.

Like I already said in my original post, it wouldn’t be to much work. They just changed the Skin of that City were Kemmler got moved. It is vampiric now and had a Dwarf skin before.

Same for the Vampirates Cities outside of the Vampire Coast.

Chupoyatl were Lokhir starts is now DE after the FLC. So the assets are there to have DE Cities in different climatic areas.

When it’s not to much work to change these skins for creating new start positions it’s probably also not to much work to make it change when conquering. Empire City Maps with Jungle and desert landscape are possible. They already exist. But only for Skeggi and Sudenburg. The problem is that these skins are hardcoded for some reason. I don’t have experience in modding so I don’t know about these things, just heard that.

That’s why I said that the „to much work“ argument is wrong because it’s already there. Just use the Sudenburg battlemap again when an empire faction conquers Khemri for example.

Those examples you give are proof that it can be done. They do not in any way measure how much work went into making them happen. It's not the amount of work for each settlement, it's the volume for then every settlement 20 different ways. Making a skin for a faction in one spot is 1 settlement skin out of what, 4,000 possibilities with more and more coming? That's my point, it isn't that it can't be done, it absolutely can. The issue is that it has to be done manually, by hand placing the buildings and items. As I said, this is easy when the terrain is flat, but not so for mountainous regions where the buildings are erected around the mountain. As I said, this leaves two options, moving the citiy to flat ground, or manually making each of those cities in this spots for each possible faction. I never said it couldn't be done, I said that's a lot of work. You cite doing it for one faction here or there as evidence. That's just evidence it can be done, not any evidence to how long it would take to do 300+ settlements for as many factions as we have plus for the settlements being added in game 3.

Your reply only states that it can be done, not that it would be easy or fast. With any luck, it could happen for game 3, but after that, I doubt it'd ever come. Each settlement and race adds more and more possibilities and if they aren't going to do it now and then just add the new ones as they come, I doubt they're going to want to do it at the end of the series.

Of course, as you also stated, allowing this to be modded would be the ideal. But so much of the modding is locked down because of GW. If you were around then, originally with game 1 they announced there wouldn't be any modding, but due to demand they relented and added limited modding. Imagine now if we had never got any mod support. That would have been devastating for this game's longevity.
    I am incredibly mad and angry at whatever someone insinuated could possibly, but not likely, happen in the WH series today and CA must answer for this with an explanation of why they might possibly, but didn't do this!!!
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,184Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Everyone needs to be extremely careful with the analogies they use to illustrate a point, and also, the personal references they make about other members with differing opinions in posted comments.

Thanks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 14,661Registered Users
    neodeinos said:

I'd love to see where they said that.
    Can't really help you there. I think it was one of those Reddit Q&A's.

In nature each map is hand made. It doesn't lend itself to switching without huge work. Hence why CA doesn't do it.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • xXAlduin99xXAlduin99 Posts: 129Registered Users
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/clh7zo/how_why_are_brets_just_flexing_on_this_desert/

This is a meme, but based on the truth. creating map variations is extremely simple for CA. It's just swapping ground types. Not "tHe sEtTlemEnts cAn't ChaNge tHeIr sKiN 'cAuSe EveRy bAtTleMaP is hAndMaDe"

I don't think it's an oversight. It's an issue of the amount of work, even as small as it would be. RO in game 1 meant that there were only 2 types of city for each settlement. VC/Human or Dwarf/Greenskin with the Dwarf and Greenskin getting the biggest visual change with totems and such spread out into the mountains. However, you're now talking about more than a dozen races and likely more than 20 by the time the game ends. That's a lot of variations on different cities. Now while that poses absolutely no problem in an open field where the settlement can just be plopped down, it becomes more problematic with mountain settlements where you can't just drop a human city vertically on the side of a mountain. Dwarf and greenskin settlements in game 1 had different accessories that made them look much more unique and cooler.

That leaves two options, first, a lot of work to make all different types of cities work on every settlement spot, or move all settlements to a clear open spot where any city can be easily placed. I definitely don't want settlements removed to where they will be the easiest to change, but become the least visually interesting or lore breaking.

The first would be great, but it'd be a lot of work despite what some may say here. It isn't just an oversight of "oh, we forgot to click this button to have the settlements change." It's a matter of making each faction's settlement type visually work and be distinct for each potential settlement. The good news is this is mostly a one time thing. Once a race's settlement type has been made for a spot it'll never have to be made again so making these for the final combined campaign would make the most sense, but it's time and money that could be spent in making units and mechanics or fixing bugs which I think most people would rather have.

It sucks that a small visual change on the campaign map has made the game unplayable for you. I mean, I think that's extremely hyperbolic that a game becomes unplayable because of how some of the cities look since it in no way affects gameplay or the ability to run the game, but I also get that people have their own priorities and if this affects your ability to enjoy the game then that's all there is to it. But it's such a minor thing that has no effect on how the game plays that I hope you can understand why some people aren't championing this cause. They'd rather that money go to making the game play better than changing a small visual that has little effect on the rest of the game.

tl;dr, I'd love it if they did it. They likely aren't doing it for a reason. It isn't worth the potential cost for what is not a game selling feature.

This is false, don't spread false info.
    in WH1, everything worked fine with the regional occupation removal mod. the only situation where it looked weird was dwarfs occupying coastal settlements. so there are only two models needed, for dwarfs and for orcs as coastal settlements.

The settlement skins for dwarfs and orcs hasn't changed in WH2. they are the same as in WH1. The orc model is ingame, it was unused until the addition of Massif Orcal. now it's used.
    maybe the very beautiful woodelf outpost skin (which is also unused now thanks to this "great" system) is also still in the game files.

And as I said, the point of "there are more important things" does not count. you can say this everytime. you can even say "don't add new races CA, bugs are more important" so no content until every bug, and I mean every bug, is fixed. Great.

This isn't hyberbolic. Immersion is important. It's the way how you can be connected with the game, how believable it is, if you can believe the world you are in while playing. Darren from Republic of Play explained it very well in of the newest videos, can't remember which one. I think it was the Immersion in Rome - Video.

ArneSo said:

Of course, as you also stated, allowing this to be modded would be the ideal. But so much of the modding is locked down because of GW. If you were around then, originally with game 1 they announced there wouldn't be any modding, but due to demand they relented and added limited modding. Imagine now if we had never got any mod support. That would have been devastating for this game's longevity.

??? This has nothing to do with GW. In WH1 it was moddable, because the model was linked to the main building as it should be, as in ROME II and ATTILA.
    And as I said maybe its now moddable. CA added a new script function. But I am not sure.

I would love to see empire buildings around the pyramid, but that mixed skins won't happen.

In fact, If they are using dynamic models (for example, only half of the settlement is pre-defined, other half is dynamic) it would be possible very easily.
  • vintagepurplevintagepurple Posts: 658Registered Users
    It breaks my immersion to see cities instantly change so don't say immersion only goes your way. It was dumb in Rome 2 to see somewhere like Rome or Alexandria get converted into briton huts.