Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Poll: Core Factions for WHIII

DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 1,983Registered Users
edited August 14 in General Discussion
There was a lengthy thread the other day where a lot of people were mulling over the lineup for WHIII's starting factions, and it seemed to me the forum discourse on the subject was shifting slightly. As a result I'm curious where people currently stand on the matter, so I've constructed a poll listing what (so far) seem to be the most popular options, at least from what I've seen. They are:
  • DoW, Kislev, Chaos Dwarfs, and Daemons
  • DoW, Kislev, Ogres, and Daemons
  • Cathay, Kislev, Chaos Dwarfs, and Daemons
  • Cathay, Kislev, Ogres, and Daemons
  • Kislev, Ogres, Daemons, and Chaos Dwarfs
  • Chaos Monogods
Vote below:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18478459

Comments

• BoombastekBoombastek Posts: 1,764Registered Users
    None.

Monogods, Kislev, Ogre.
  • Cortes31Cortes31 Posts: 573Registered Users
    Cathay, Ogres, Daemons, and Chaos Dwarfs for me.
  • Firkraag888Firkraag888 Posts: 1,074Registered Users
    @op

Dude you need to seperate all the races in your poll so people can choose them one at a time.

Those results mean nothing when grouped like that.
  • IokkoIokko Junior Member Posts: 352Registered Users
    I'd say DoW, ogres, daemons and chaos dwarfs, so all core races are army book races.
    Stating opinions as if they're facts in your signature and adding "Change my mind" doesn't make them facts, change my mind.
    I'd say DoW, ogres, daemons and chaos dwarfs, so all core races are army book races.
    Stating opinions as if they're facts in your signature and adding "Change my mind" doesn't make them facts, change my mind.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 14,659Registered Users
    It seems like several issues combined to me. This isn't a criticism of the poll, it's a comment on the discussion as a whole. There's the whole Monogod debate which I am the mother of (not sorry) then there's the Cathay question, both of which are highly divisive. Then there's DoW sort of doing its own thing, its method of implementation highly disputed, that it should be implemented less questioned. Kislev's pretty universally accepted as your poll correctly acknowledges.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Posts: 183Registered Users
    My four cores would be Daemons of Chaos, Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarfs and Cathay. I picked the closest to this with Cathay, Kislev, Ogres, and Daemons.
  • UgandaJimUgandaJim Posts: 243Registered Users
    edited August 14
    Cortes31 said:

Cathay, Ogres, Daemons, and Chaos Dwarfs for me.

Same for me. Kislev should be a pre-order faction like Norsca.
  • crazycakemancrazycakeman Posts: 146Registered Users
    I see one more person who thinks DoW will be in WH3, let alone a core race, I'm gonna **** explode...
  • GodWillTellGodWillTell Posts: 653Registered Users
    None.

2 Monogods + Ogres + Kislev

Nagash as Brets on WH1.

The rest are pre-order and DLC's.

#FORGHORGON
    Kislev, Ogres, Daemons, and Chaos Dwarfs is winning. It really is the most common sense option.

DoW could make it in the mix somewhere there too, but that's probably the best lineup.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 1,983Registered Users
    edited August 14

@op

Dude you need to seperate all the races in your poll so people can choose them one at a time.

Those results mean nothing when grouped like that.

It seems like several issues combined to me. This isn't a criticism of the poll, it's a comment on the discussion as a whole. There's the whole Monogod debate which I am the mother of (not sorry) then there's the Cathay question, both of which are highly divisive. Then there's DoW sort of doing its own thing, its method of implementation highly disputed, that it should be implemented less questioned. Kislev's pretty universally accepted as your poll correctly acknowledges.

I'm not trying to rank factions individually, I'm explicitly choosing the combos that seem most in vogue at the moment. There are some fringe choices beyond these, but from what I've seen these are representative of the current discourse. As I see it things currently break down like this:

The long-assumed standard is Kislev, Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarfs, and Daemons of Chaos. This is probably still the most popular, but it was formulated back when we were all expecting a lot more DLC factions for WHII

Then there's Monogods, which is a minority opinion but not an insignificant minority.

Finally there are the people who outright reject Monogods but are growing more skeptical of the K/OK/CD/DoC standard, for a variety of reasons. Some think DoW will never make it into WHII and look for its inclusion in WHIII, some are die-hard Cathay supporters, and some merely assume that WHIII will still have two "order" factions, and that the most likely candidates for this are two of the three most likely human factions (Kislev, DoW, Cathay) but have not decided on which.

That seems to be the crux of the debate right now from where I'm sitting, although of course there are some other fringe theories. I suppose I could have included an "other" option for those, but they seem marginal to the point of irrelevance so I chose not to. Really I was most curious to see if people's faith in the gold standard had been shaken and if so by how much, but so far it seems to be holding solid.
  • rafantomasrafantomas Posts: 199Registered Users

I see one more person who thinks DoW will be in WH3, let alone a core race, I'm gonna **** explode...

I get you, people wanting DoW (a race with mixed units from other races) instead of a full new race with new units and mechanics is insane.

We already have for example “Abominations” an ai race that is made of all the monsters from each race.
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 1,863Registered Users
    Araby + Ogre Kingdoms + Chaos Dwarves + 4 Chaos Gods.

:o)
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • goliath55goliath55 Posts: 290Registered Users

I get you, people wanting DoW (a race with mixed units from other races) instead of a full new race with new units and mechanics is insane.

We already have for example “Abominations” an ai race that is made of all the monsters from each race.
    I think this is grossly simplifying the uniqueness of the DoW roster, which has a core of Tilean inspired troops. Even the Merc units from other races don't exist in the game yet.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 2,450Registered Users
    edited August 14

Araby + Ogre Kingdoms + Chaos Dwarves + 4 Chaos Gods.

:o)

CA has stated only 4 core races in each game, that is 7 races. Also Araby is nowhere near the area game 3 would be in, so has 0% chance of being a game 3 core.

Monogods should be DLC, they have no armybooks and they will fill the game with only 1 alignment at launch (yes I know they fight each other a lot). Armybooks (DoC, OKs, CDs) should be priority, Kislev rounds it off nicely both thematically and in terms of gameplay variety (giving a "good" human option for the game would be wise). Cathay and some manifestation of DoW are other options but imo Kislev is the best fit.
    goliath55 said:

I think this is grossly simplifying the uniqueness of the DoW roster, which has a core of Tilean inspired troops. Even the Merc units from other races don't exist in the game yet.
    And it's style. Even back in 5e it was flamboyant. A DoW made up to 8e standards would be brilliantly flamboyant and contrast quite well with the more grungy tones of the evil races. Them and the CD would be a really cool contrast, evil flamboyant vs good flamboyant.
  • Federykx99Federykx99 Posts: 468Registered Users
    DoW in game 3 can make sense, and can work. There is no denying that, period.

We can debate on the form and the release, but not whether they fit the game or not.

If i see one more person who thinks DoW won't be in WH3 in any capacity, I swear I'm gonna go about my day normally because that's their opinion and it doesn't really impact my life in any way.
  • BorealBoreal Posts: 50Registered Users
    I say either
    Kislev, Ogres, Daemons, and Chaos Dwarfs
    or
    DoW, Ogres, Daemons, and Chaos Dwarfs

They won't add Carthay as a base game faction, as that will me a PR disaster, they are a minor irrelevant faction and it will **** lots of people off if they are included over an actual important faction base game
  • neodeinosneodeinos Posts: 720Registered Users
    Boreal said:

I say either
    Kislev, Ogres, Daemons, and Chaos Dwarfs
    or
    DoW, Ogres, Daemons, and Chaos Dwarfs

They won't add Carthay as a base game faction, as that will me a PR disaster, they are a minor irrelevant faction and it will **** lots of people off if they are included over an actual important faction base game

Even as a DLC it's really unlikely anyway.
  • 10101010 Posts: 31Registered Users
  • SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Posts: 2,019Registered Users
    Hey what about nagash as a opponent of chaos? So smthn like demons, chaos dwarfs, ogres and Nagash. That would be two chaos races, and two order races (to an extent lol). I think that would be a good idea.
  • 10101010 Posts: 31Registered Users
    Greasus Goldtooth & Nagash
  • LoffenmeisterLoffenmeister Posts: 53Registered Users
    As long as Ogres are part of the launch core races i will be happy.
  • Chocolate_RainChocolate_Rain Posts: 396Registered Users
    Pre-Order - Dogs of War

Core 4 - Khorne, Nurgle, Ogre Kingdoms, Kislev

Half made - Legion of Nagash

DLC - Tzeentch, Slaanesh, Chaos Dwarfs, Cathay/Araby

FLC - complete Legion of Nagash
  • twwatchertwwatcher Posts: 2,089Registered Users
    Storm of Chaos – Karl v Archaon Round 2

New Core – DoC, DoW, OK

Major Upgrade – WoC

Upgraded – Empire, GK

Playable – VC, Dwarfs

FLC – Kislev

Non playable – Intervention good – HE, Intervention bad – DE plus Norsca, BM, skaven factions making a nuisance of themselves.

The prophecy:

• SbygneusSbygneus Posts: 779Registered Users
    Cathay has the same right to be in Game 3 as Kingdoms of Ind or Nippon which is marginal. People who force Cathay into the fray just don't know Warhammer. Even Amazons had more tabletop miniatures than Cathay.

There is Far East theme in Warhammer in Ogre Kingdoms faction. Why don't you dear Cathay fans vote for them? Look at the ogre GW miniatures, their armour is strongly Far East influenced.
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Posts: 1,947Registered Users
    Monogods of course.
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 592Registered Users
    My bet is:
    Kislev + OK + CD + Deamons as core
    Araby as Preorder
    DoW as first DLC
    Monogods as LPs
    Nagash FLC

To those who say Cathay has no right to be implemented because of TT miniatures.
    Vampire Coast? Fat Opera Lady? Aranessa? Depth Guard? Ghorst? Alberic? Necrofex-Kolossos?

Just accept that miniatures doesn’t matter anymore. CA creates the lore for Warhammer now since GW just destroyed the world. They only need an „okay“ from GWs side and then anything is possible.

It’s still unlikely yes, but the „no miniatures“ argument isn’t valid anymore.