Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Norsca improvements for game 3 (campaign, roster, units)

_Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Posts: 535Registered Users
edited August 15 in General Discussion

"We fought the monsters
and we became them"

Norsca was my favorite campaign in TWW1 so far and I know it is in one of the best state of the game 1 factions. They need very little and deserve their rework very late and after all other game 1 races.
This is a compilation to improve Norsca even further, definitely not all will ever happen, maybe with some mods at the end of game 3.

The savest addition for Norsca in game 3 are more Monster hunts. Because they did it in game 2 before and whithout new hunts in the east of Mortal Empires 2 they would be broken.

Additional monster hunts

My suggestions for new monster hunts:

Hopefullly more than 4 monster hunts from the pre order and game 3 races, to flesh out the new regions of the map. Especially Ogre Kingdoms and a possible WoC/BM rework will introduce great monsters for the hunt.

Even better to get additional hunts from game 2 races, like Rotting Leviathans and Anciant salamander.

New generic lord options

The biggest problem of Norsca is a missing second generic lord choice.

Two hand weapon norscan chieftain

More diverse skills and skilllines.
One possibility is giving the existing lord a skill with unlocking two hand weapon, similar mounts.

Or an additional more aggressive two hand weapon lord, less defense more anti large, perfectly for hunting down monsters. Tattoed bare breast warrior with two hand axe, more monster killer skill tree. Exclusive for Wulfrik, if we get a fimir lord for Throgg.

Fimir noble melee lord or Meargh female leader and sorceress lord of Fimir.

A lord choice only for Throgg, a melee and a rare sorcerer lord. Would be nice to have the option to roleplay with monster only Throgg campaign.

Additional units

I will focus on more easier because more likely units - for example Curs'd Ettin is much more unlikely than Jabber and Ghorghon together for BM.
And I like a more diverse roster, even between sub factions.

At first 3 regional units.
Recruitable only in their origin region.

Kurgan melee horsemen

Melee variant of marauder horsemen.

Melee light cavalry recruitable only in the lands of the Kurgan after conquering or confederation. They should be the main part of every Kurgan AI army.

Hung horse archer

"The Hung are considered horsemen par excellence"

Hung horse archer,

Based on the horse archers of the Hun and Mongols, typical horse archers from the Hung.
Recruitable only in the Hung region.
Even better with a unique Hung AI chieftain, who would be locked on warhorse, like Surtha Ek on chariot. At best he would be a melee/archer hybrid lord, which you can get through Norsca confederation.

Both could be kitbashed from possible kislevite, cathayan and norscan units.

Horsearcher, warhounds and other norscan rider units should be the main part of every Hung AI army.

Marauder on cold ones

"Some ride into battle upon mighty Cold Ones, leading the warherd of the Skeggi to battle in the search for pillage and blood."
White Dwarf

Marauder on cold ones as unit or RoR, only recruitable at a Skeggi landmark.

I know the lore of this unit and the cold ones is highly controversial. I only want to present possibilities and at this one I am torn too, maybe RoR would be acceptable for all.

additional units

More trolls
A minimum of one more troll variant for Throgg only would be wishful.

Shield-Maiden or Valkyries

In norsca the women are good fighters too, they must protect the tribe, when the men are raiding. Once mortal Valkia the Bloody began as Shield-Maiden.
In a warhammer novel I read a year ago, there was one female warrior on the raiding longship, she was the only one who could become a skinwolf (The Blades of Chaos from Gav Thorpe).
So Norsca should field the most female warrior from all human in their army. I see no problem here to even extent the lore a bit to let them field mixed gender regiments of some units.

god aligned units

God aligned units recruitable after achieving 100 points for one of the chaos gods. Possible units from a WoC and BM rework or DoC of game 3.

For example:

Throgg
Khorne: Khornebulls
Slaanesh: Slanngor
Tzeentch: Tzaangors
Nurgle: Bile trolls

Wulfrik
Khorne: Slaughterbrute
Slaanesh: Marauders on Hell striders with axes not whips

Tzeentch: Sorcerer on disc of Tzeentch
Nurgle: Forsaken of Nurgle

Possible campaign alterations for new LL

Especially LL choices will need slightly different campaign goals and mechanics, so let look what can be easily altered. I choose Sayl the Faithless, not because I prefere him over other choices, instead of the different campaign he could offer.

More information by InsanityEmbraced:
https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/248066/warhammer-3-legendary-lord-hero-overview-sayl-the-faithless#latest

He will get the norscan monster hunts mechanic, because with the following very easy trick they match him too. Instead of the other LLs he doesnt focus on the prestige and fight against the monsters, he is looking for the artifact rewards the monsters hide and the possibility to get god points for his own schemes. So they cpuld only be renamed to "artifact and monster hunts"

The God alignement mechanic will be splitted in two options. The first is the standard 100 points for one god. TWW is a sandbox game, If you can raze Kazrak a Karak as Karl Franz you can finally align with one ruinous power as Sayl

Way two, only for Sayl, is to get 25 points for each god. Clearly not at the same time, one after another you check each god off.
This way you can choose the more Sayl fitting way of treachery and betraying pacts with each chaos god or their servants.
And this will need new rewards for him, because after cheesing a god after 25 points other LLs lose the reward. Sayl should lock his first 25 points reward, depending which god he choose and hold it with his typical scheming. The new rewards should come by 25 points for 2 gods and finally 25 for each. So he needs two new rewards.

Extended mechanics

Win conditions and all other rewards stay alike till 100.

But to improve the long campaign, extent the god alignement to 200 and give a 4th row of benefits at 200 alignement.

For example a god aligned full stack army whithout upkeep for a limited amount of rounds (maybe 20). For example a generic Bloodthirster of Khorne with a DoC or Host of Chaos army. The first with Bloodletter variants, skullcrushers and so on, the latter with Bestigor, Khornegors, Khorne Chosen, skullcrusher, bloodletters and so on. You know, equivalent army variants for the other gods.

I know this is a lot and I dont expect even more than a quarter of the stuff I mentioned. But it would be nice and maybe we get something and modders improve it further.
Post edited by _Mad_D0c_ on

Comments

• GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 2,450Registered Users
    A lot of good stuff here. Sayl would be an amazing addition and I agree that there is not good generic lord choice, personally think a Fimir Chieften and a Shaman Lord would do wonders.

As to new units, not sure that Norsca needs them particularly but you could hook them a little with alignment and give Bile Trolls for Nurgle alignment?

Monster hunts is also something good to extend - would be nice to see hunts for both game 3 stuff and some of the DLC game 2 factions too - perhaps a Warsphynx and a Necrofex?
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 592Registered Users
    No DLC for DLC. Norsca is actually perfect, they don’t need another LL.

But some of these units and Lords would fit for a potencial Kurgan Race pack.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 1,984Registered Users
    Just the Fimirach Noble as a lord would be perfect. First, we'd have the option for a full monster army, and second, we could have a full Fimir army. We'll never have an independant Fimir faction, but this would be the next best thing.

And it's just an easy reskin too.
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 592Registered Users
    Fimir Lord would be cool! This way we could get a Fimir only Rough Army
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 408Registered Users
    I'd add a shaman sorcerer lord. If the caster lord was available only to Throgg, I would probably never start as Wulfrick again.
  • IokkoIokko Junior Member Posts: 352Registered Users
    Yes, fimir noble and shaman lord seem like no brainers, they should definitely be in.

Sayl as a new LL sounds good, though I'd be ok with a different character too, a new option is always good. A lot of people suggested surtha ek, i think if they give him a new model, some unique skills and some backstory like cylostra then he could be a good choice,though I'd rather have a caster lord.

Agree with the addition of bile trolls as well.
    Stating opinions as if they're facts in your signature and adding "Change my mind" doesn't make them facts, change my mind.
  • TotalWar78TotalWar78 Posts: 167Registered Users
    I would just add one thing everyone forgets, for Wulfrik his Seafang mechanics on campaign map. That ship is the thing that makes Wulfrik so unique.
    Maybe give him ability to jump map every 5-10 turns or something. I know its hard to implement, but would be so cool.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Norsca in my book are one of the truly great race designs in the game. That said nothing wrong with adding to it and perfecting. I do think heroes could do with spme god aligning too and come TWW3 a few more monster hunts as well as a wee bit more tech and they’re good to go. Even another LL.

I’d still be vary about giving them more cavalry options. I think they’re generally in a good spot right now unit wise and I’d want relative light cavalry to be reserved for the likes of Kislev and dare I say it, Araby.
    Lord of the Undermountain
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 1,983Registered Users
    All I'd like for Norsca are some quality of life improvements. A few new LLs, some new generic lord options, and maaaaaybe a few more unique monsters to balance out how many units in their roster are reused from other rosters (giants, manticores, etc).

I'd also love a new model for the Frost Wyrm, but I know better than to hope for that.
  • SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Posts: 682Registered Users
    @_Mad_D0c_

Great job man, I've been looking forward to this post ^_^

They could use a skin wolf lord too.

Throgg defo needs more trolls.

As for monster hunts: merwyrms and Sea dragons (even hydras and Kharibdyss) could be added to their list of hunts. This would give them some at sea too.
  • _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Posts: 535Registered Users
    edited August 15

@_Mad_D0c_

Great job man, I've been looking forward to this post ^_^

They could use a skin wolf lord too.

Throgg defo needs more trolls.

As for monster hunts: merwyrms and Sea dragons (even hydras and Kharibdyss) could be added to their list of hunts. This would give them some at sea too.

Didnt they have hydra allready with their ME implementation.

But yeah, Kharybdiss and Merwyrm is a must have.
  • Glandyth_a_KraeGlandyth_a_Krae Posts: 66Registered Users
    I would also love to see some women in Norsca’s ranks. I mean, the faction is based on one of the only culture that is known to have had female warriors in their ranks (shieldmaiden) and their mythology (walkyries). That would really add to the baddassery of norscans.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 2,450Registered Users

I would also love to see some women in Norsca’s ranks. I mean, the faction is based on one of the only culture that is known to have had female warriors in their ranks (shieldmaiden) and their mythology (walkyries). That would really add to the baddassery of norscans.

Elves?
  • NyumusNyumus Posts: 47Registered Users
    Goatforce said:

Elves?
    He Said culture, like, from real world, refering to the Nordic people. Even Elves, Trolls and Dwarfs comes from their Mythology XD