Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

TWW1 - whenc.totalwar.com / what about TWW2?

tww2rankstww2ranks Posts: 82Registered Users
edited August 15 in General Discussion
Hi All!

Does anyone know if there is a similar site for the TWW2?
https://whenc.totalwar.com/#/units/wh_main_emp_empire/

and if not, does anyone know if there are plans to do this or we will wait for the third part?

Comments

• tww2rankstww2ranks Posts: 82Registered Users
    why are these units categorized as ARTILLERY & WAR MACHINES?

please help with an explanation!

• crazycakemancrazycakeman Posts: 146Registered Users
    tww2ranks said:

why are these units categorized as ARTILLERY & WAR MACHINES?

please help with an explanation!

They are war machines because they are war machines? I dont know what other category you would want to put them under? Perhaps chariots, but with the exception of the Black Coach, the others dont have a chariot function.
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Posts: 703Registered Users
    If you want stats for TWW2, the place to go is https://twwstats.com/

Brilliant stats page. So much data.
  • wunderb0rwunderb0r Junior Member Posts: 367Registered Users
    technically speaking, aren't chariots also kinda "war machine"-ish?
    edited August 15
    Units are the constituent parts of your armies, divided into categories and classes that broadly define their roles on the battlefield.

for them classes are Magic Chariot
    so from the name I suggested that they could be in the category CAVALRY & CHARIOTS

in TWW2 in the description of the units there are no categories therefore I wanted to understand the logic by which the unit belongs to a certain category

If you want stats for TWW2, the place to go is https://twwstats.com/
    Brilliant stats page. So much data.

thx! I know about that site and discord channel. But I need the categories of units and not their characteristics
  • CimentCiment Posts: 119Registered Users
    @tww2ranks have you tried looking at the units grid in twwstats.com? There is a Caste and a Category columns maybe that would work?

edited August 16
    Ciment said:

@tww2ranks have you tried looking at the units grid in twwstats.com? There is a Caste and a Category columns maybe that would work?

thx, but it shows a class and not a category

Units are the constituent parts of your armies, divided into categories and classes that broadly define their roles on the battlefield.

in TTW2 - no Category / yes Class

Category:

INFANTRY
    MISSILE INFANTRY
    CAVALRY & CHARIOTS
    MISSILE CAVALRY & CHARIOTS
    MONSTERS & BEASTS
    CONSTRUCTS
    RARE CONSTRUCTS
    ARTILLERY & WAR MACHINES
    MISSILE MONSTERS & BEASTS

Class:
    Spear Infantry
    Missile Infantry
    Creature Infantry
    Sword Infantry
    Missile Cavalry
    Glaive Infantry
    Monstrous Infantry
    Melee Cavalry
    Flying Missile Cavalry
    Monstrous Beast
    Monster
    Magical Cavalry
    Flying Monster
    e.t.c

I see, in that case maybe the classification in the unit chooser of the unit cards page is what you're looking for? (it's not super convenient unfortunately but it could be a start?)

• psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,149Registered Users
    Thanks to crappy people not being able to properly stick with definitions over time, they could indeed be considered chariots depending on the definition used. But they're not.

However, more strictly, a "chariot" would be a horse drawn, two wheeled device ridden in war. Naturally, in a fantastical world where creatures other than horses are used for propulsion in this circumstance, such things would still fit the bill, but four wheel coaches and wagons, not so much.

War machines is as good a place as any to stick them.
    Ciment said:

I see, in that case maybe the classification in the unit chooser of the unit cards page is what you're looking for? (it's not super convenient unfortunately but it could be a start?)

I thank you for continuing to search!

Yes, this is what I need.
    it remains to ask where this information came from. I’ll ask the creator of the site.

psychoak said:

Thanks to crappy people not being able to properly stick with definitions over time, they could indeed be considered chariots depending on the definition used. But they're not.

However, more strictly, a "chariot" would be a horse drawn, two wheeled device ridden in war. Naturally, in a fantastical world where creatures other than horses are used for propulsion in this circumstance, such things would still fit the bill, but four wheel coaches and wagons, not so much.

War machines is as good a place as any to stick them.

very good explanation. thank!
  • SagrandaSagranda Posts: 1,507Registered Users
    edited August 17
    tww2ranks said:

Ciment said:

I thank you for continuing to search!

Yes, this is what I need.
    it remains to ask where this information came from. I’ll ask the creator of the site.
    @Ciment is the creator of twwstats.com ;)
    "Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
    @tww2ranks the info you're looking for is in the `ui_unit_group_parents` table. It's related to the main_units table like so:

main_units --ui_unit_group_land--> ui_unit_groupings --parent_group--> ui_unit_group_parents

In the `ui_unit_group_parents` table you can either check the `key` or the `onscreen_name` columns

Let me know if that's not clear or if you need more info!