Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Boiling oil mechanic to defend from siege

rafantomasrafantomas Posts: 199Registered Users
A classic siege defense is throwing boiling oil or animal grease to enemies attacking your doors.

This is not difficult to implement to sieges so you can not just set your archers in a no tower hit zone and just win, castles should melt them with oil and animal grease.

Inmersion yes.

Comments

• mightygloinmightygloin Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    edited August 16
    Just one of the hundreds of things sieges need to become sieges.

In one of the GCCM dwarf karak maps, there is actually a hot steam sprayer on the gate instead of oil. Dwarfs did it again!
    Post edited by mightygloin on
  • GwydionGwydion Senior Member Posts: 2,145Registered Users
    always forget that theres so much content missing from the base of what a total war game should be without my precious mods..... oil over gates being one of them.... man CA....sad med 2 sieges are better
    PLEASE CA!!! Chaos Warriors need a faction that is not horde only by the time the trilogy is finished! We beg of you!

Just Realized this topic has been viewed more, the topic of " Limiting Race Expansion/ Colonization Expansion" alone than more than half of the stickied things at the top of the forum... I hope you are too CA and I mean that in a positive way from a huge fan!

Please improve sieges! Add racial flavor and ACTUALLY make them "deeper rather than wide" copy and paste with different art needs to go!
  • arghozarghoz Junior Member Posts: 241Registered Users
    Yes, and as you say this should be very easy to implement. Just make it so that you must have a unit on the gatehouse(and possibly walls) and then you will have access to a button with 1-3 charges and you can target it like a spell in a short range in front of the units you have on the gatehouse.

More siege-mechanics like this would be great. I would also like to see more diffrences in factions, dwarf settlements should be much harder to siege than orc settlements, their walls, gates and towers should be stronger.
  • wunderb0rwunderb0r Junior Member Posts: 367Registered Users
    Gwydion said:

sad med 2 sieges are better

when was the last time you actually played a siege in med2? like, a BIG one?

• MasariusMasarius Senior Member Posts: 554Registered Users
    Med2 siege:

1)Fall back to the inner circle
    2) Stop the enemy at choke points
    3) ???
    4) profit

__

Please no Oil. It makes siege incredible easy.
    Just stop the enemy at the gate and watch his units burn. Next level cheesing.

Till shade is gone,
    till water is gone,
    into the Shadow with the teeth bared,
    screaming defiance with the last breath,
    to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day
  • SchwarzhelmSchwarzhelm Posts: 707Registered Users
    Masarius said:

Med2 siege:

3) ???
    4) profit

__

The problem is that units attacking the gates cannot be attacked from the walls.
    I don't need a battering ram when my monsters charge the gates, they will take a bit damage on their way but can destroy the gates undisturbed.
  • BDLMBDLM Posts: 31Registered Users

Masarius said:

Med2 siege:

3) ???
    4) profit

__

The problem is that units attacking the gates cannot be attacked from the walls.
    I don't need a battering ram when my monsters charge the gates, they will take a bit damage on their way but can destroy the gates undisturbed.
    I think this is why its important for at least future sieges to have elevated platforms or ramps to the walls for cannon units to move to; Will at least give you some shots on monsterous units and make weapons teams and artillery useful in situations where they should be incredibly valuable.

Oil doesn't sound like fun, personally. I would rather see other changes to sieges to make them more interactive. As it is now, most sieges live or die at the walls and most maps make the choice of where to deploy painfully obvious. I'd rather see things that make the sieges more interesting and dynamic with units that maybe climb walls faster, more spells that are geared towards destroying walls, or sections that favor infantry vs monsters to move through.

I get that Oil is classic, but when I'm thinking about how my frog wizard is going to fight a cracked out rat, I would rather walls and cities to be elements that change the flow of battle, than have something that makes them align more closely to historical sieges and feel more static.

A 'classic' element I might enjoy is some element of defense in depth where you can fall back to inner arrow towers or have barricades like 3K. Maybe even other strategic points like an armory or weaponsmith to give mapwide weapon strength or armor if held like the victory point gives leadership.
  • sccrboi01sccrboi01 Senior Member Posts: 329Registered Users
    Pocket ladders for all infantry need to go bye-bye, big time!!!
    Most peoples' response to Rome II expansion...."Please Sir may I have some more"......

My Massagetae, battered and bloody, but undefeated in the field! True masters of battle :)! Masters of campaigning on the other hand, unfortunately not.......:(
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 9,137Registered Users
    actually... Boiling Oil isn't that "classic". It was actually fairly rare. Oil and pitch were a tad on the expensive side iirc and too valuable to use for that.

More common were boiling water (if the Castle didn't have to conserve water, for example due to a river nearby) or really, really hot sand.
    Every wrong is recorded! Every slight against us! Page after Page, etched in blood! Clan Gunnison! Karak Eight-Peaks! Josef Bugman!

Yes! to Boris Todbringer as playable, subfaction leading Legendary Lord with Starting Position Middenheim instead for the Empire! NO to the lazy way of moving Gelt and Volkmar who both belong to Reikland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?
  • TengelZlyTengelZly Posts: 3Registered Users

Masarius said:

Med2 siege:

3) ???
    4) profit

__

And it should be so. I would love to see hundreds of enemy burn at the bottom of the gate. Now sieges are too dificult. Comp alweys snnek by my defences to the inter circlw or decimate my troops near the gate. If you don't whant boiling oil you can remuve it by mods or it would be better in options menu. Also it should be button in opton menu to enable fir play campain. It should remouve all cheats for Ai so it manege the same mechanic as player or add all bonuses to player whitch Ai have. Specialy public order and loyalty.
  • Tr3izTr3iz Posts: 50Registered Users
    You can add means to destroy siege equipment after they reach the walls/gate to the list of needed things.