Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Does anyone know the production budget for tww2 and tww3

Firkraag888Firkraag888 Posts: 1,428Registered Users
This would be a good way of determining how big the third game will be compared to tww2 if we new these dollar figures?

Has there been any figures released by CA in regards to this or has anyone seen this reported anywhere?

Comments

• Hobo_the_WiseHobo_the_Wise Posts: 47Registered Users
    This usually is not information that companies make freely available, especially not during the production of a project. After the fact maybe they may be open to release this kind of info, but even then it is not very likely. Because this is not a crowd funded or community driven project CA are not under an obligation to release their budget information to us, they don't have to tell you how they are spending their money and for many reasons they probably won't. Atleast not until well after the game has been released and they have recovered their return on investment and reached their projected sales forecasts.
  • BronzebeardBronzebeard Posts: 182Registered Users
  • Firkraag888Firkraag888 Posts: 1,428Registered Users

This usually is not information that companies make freely available, especially not during the production of a project. After the fact maybe they may be open to release this kind of info, but even then it is not very likely. Because this is not a crowd funded or community driven project CA are not under an obligation to release their budget information to us, they don't have to tell you how they are spending their money and for many reasons they probably won't. Atleast not until well after the game has been released and they have recovered their return on investment and reached their projected sales forecasts.

Tww2 is looking like it will be the most financially successful strategy game ever.

• MrMecHMrMecH Posts: 2,099Registered Users
    I think budget might be drop because TWW3 might be less sale than TWW2 and TWW. Due to lacking of familiar races such as elves or dwarf. Daemon and ogre look so badass but I don't think it will attract casual players like other races did.
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

MrMecH said:

I think budget might be drop because TWW3 might be less sale than TWW2 and TWW. Due to lacking of familiar races such as elves or dwarf. Daemon and ogre look so badass but I don't think it will attract casual players like other races did.

I agree 100%. Mainstream gamers arent going to buy tww3 to play factions like kislev, Cathay, monogods ect only hardcore warhammer fans will even now who they are.

CA have a real problem there for the third game, i hope they find a workaround.
  • Lord_DrakkenLord_Drakken Posts: 37Registered Users
    All they have to do is include some improved core game mechanics that come only in TWW3 and include some goodies for all of the other races and people will buy it.

Plus the new campaign will obviously include the old races and all of that content for elves and dwarves will not be playable without TWW3.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,086Registered Users
    edited August 16

MrMecH said:

I agree 100%. Mainstream gamers arent going to buy tww3 to play factions like kislev, Cathay, monogods ect only hardcore warhammer fans will even now who they are.

I don't know what this is based on. The Chaos Dwarves look cool (The Dwarf faction in WH1 is still popular) and if you look at fantasy Chinese settings you will find this is found a lot of popular games. If CA get this right there's no reason why it won't be successful with non-Warhammer fans. I wasn't a WH fan in the past but after seeing it applied to a TW game - I'm interested.

There could well be a smaller, the devs are used to the art style; they have a lot of pre-done models to fall on, their teams are probably very well streamlined etc.

Just because the budget is less - doesn't make the content any less.
    Post edited by davedave1124 on
  • Cortes31Cortes31 Posts: 695Registered Users

MrMecH said:

No, Monogods, Ogres and Chaos Dwarfs may not be for the mainstream but Kislev and Cathay? They are humans, even good humans and this is always mainstream. Always.
    "In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No faction shall escape my sight.
    Let those who think deniers are right
    Beware my power--Faction Lantern's light!"

Everythime a faction/race is excluded from the trilogy, these games become smaller. RIP Araby and others.

MrMecH said:

I don't know what this is based on. The Chaos Dwarves look cool (The Dwarf faction in WH1 is still popular) and if you look at fantasy Chinese settings you will find this is a lot of popular games. If CA get this right there's no reason why it won't be successful with non-Warhammer fans. I wasn't a WH fan in the past but after seeing it applied to a TW game - I'm interested.
    IMO That why CA heavily expand to chinese market. They aren't fool and know tww3 would be failure if they don't do somethings. So Cathay has high chance to be one of tww3 races and tww3 will be very success like three kingdoms.

Just as CA planed. Just as Tzeentch planed.

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,086Registered Users
    MrMecH said:

MrMecH said:

I don't know what this is based on. The Chaos Dwarves look cool (The Dwarf faction in WH1 is still popular) and if you look at fantasy Chinese settings you will find this is a lot of popular games. If CA get this right there's no reason why it won't be successful with non-Warhammer fans. I wasn't a WH fan in the past but after seeing it applied to a TW game - I'm interested.
    IMO That why CA heavily expand to chinese market. They aren't fool and know tww3 would be failure if they don't do somethings. So Cathay has high chance to be one of tww3 races and tww3 will be very success like three kingdoms.

Just as CA planed. Just as Tzeentch planed.
    Chinese and JRPG games are already apart of Western Culture, no need to expand (although it won't do any harm though).
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,359Registered Users

MrMecH said:

It's Warhammer. That's the brand. Not the individual races.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • BiesBies Junior Member Posts: 1,724Registered Users
    MrMecH said:

chaos dwarfs?

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

Bies said:

MrMecH said:

chaos dwarfs?
    People will confuse when see their hats. :D

• Federykx99Federykx99 Posts: 562Registered Users

MrMecH said:

I think mainstream gamers are very likely to be attracted by a classic matchup of good humans vs evil monsters, it's freaking everywhere.

Show them a trailer of winged hussars running down ogres, and Cathayan troops and monsters holding the great wall against Demons, and they're sold (kindof).
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 1,390Registered Users
    edited August 16
    The casual gamer doesn’t know the warhammer lore anyways, so a game with humans, Deamons, Ogres and evil Dwarfs sounds as interesting as anything else.

It’s just important that all these core races tell a story. Good vs evil sells the best I would say.

“Defend the World against the dark horrors of chaos or destroy it with dark horrors of Chaos.”

Sounds good to me

We won’t get Monogods, but I’m sure that Deamons will be the poster race for game 3 like the Empire was for game 1 and HE for game 2.

Post edited by ArneSo on
  • John_KimbleJohn_Kimble Posts: 400Registered Users
    ArneSo said:

We won’t get Monogods, put I’m sure that Deamons will be the poster race for game 3 like the Empire was for game 1 and HE for game 2.

Which means we'll see Daemons getting their asses kicked by everybody in each faction trailer?
  • misunderstoodvampiremisunderstoodvampire Posts: 713Registered Users
    ArneSo said:

The casual gamer doesn’t know the warhammer lore anyways, so a game with humans, Deamons, Ogres and evil Dwarfs sounds as interesting as anything else.

It’s just important that all these core races tell a story. Good vs evil sells the best I would say.

“Defend the World against the dark horrors of chaos or destroy it with dark horrors of Chaos.”

Sounds good to me

We won’t get Monogods, but I’m sure that Deamons will be the poster race for game 3 like the Empire was for game 1 and HE for game 2.

Counter argument. We will get Monogods. Just no idea if they will be in at release or dlc or flc
  • 10101010 Posts: 148Registered Users
    $ 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 4,133Registered Users

MrMecH said:

Mainstream gamers don't know who any of these races are and which ones have army books or not. Only WH fans know these races so they're the ones that CA actually has to convince to care about non-army book races, but if you've already bought both games and all the DLC I can't imagine many won't want to continue to complete the series and get the final combined campaign map.
    Later
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,359Registered Users
    ArneSo said:

Sounds good to me

That honour will probably go to the good guys again.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 4,940Registered Users

Tww2 is looking like it will be the most financially successful strategy game ever.

I think you're forgetting The Sims. Or, like, every single Civilization iteration.
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Posts: 902Registered Users
    No. And there’s no way for any of us to know that unless CA releases that information themselves.
    I dont kn
    Bonutz619 said:

No. And there’s no way for any of us to know that unless CA releases that information themselves.

So no one has a clew what the budget for tww2 was? Even though it has been out for so long?

• Jman5Jman5 Posts: 97Registered Users
    The Warhammer series has sold very well hence why they have continued to pump out DLC and patches. Warhammer 3 is almost certainly going to be the flagship release for the studio in the year it comes out so I would expect it to have a large budget with lots of people working on it.

It's safe to say that Total War: Warhammer 3 is going to be a very big deal for CA.
  • Ingr8Ingr8 Posts: 242Registered Users
    They are a medium sized company based in the UK. Go onto Companies House and you can download their financial statements.

There isn't a project by project breakdown but TW:W2 launched in May 2017 I believe. At March 2017 they did not record work in progress but they did have amounts due from group companies (project payments maybe):

Also, looking at their turnover and costs in 2017 & 2018:

They had a number of projects underway at the March 2017 year end and income and costs would be distorted by progress payments during development. I imagine that the budget for TW:W2 would have been in an approximate range of £20-£25million (although you are welcome to have a look at Sega's financials to see whether they give a better indication

Yes, I damn well would!
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 968Registered Users
    edited August 17

MrMecH said:

LoL you two are just making assumptions, Casual gamers of fantasy know Ogres, Know Demons ( could be the biggest and best dlc ever ), Know Chaos dwarves and are interested in playing Mercenaries like DoW/Southern realms with maybe amazons and Albion units, and Kislev with its Russian theme. or if they go big, u Have Asian Factions like Cathay, Nippon and KoI. afther the success of 3K the chances are increasing,. I am looking forward to TWW3 more than I am to TWW1, can't compare it yet to TWW2
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 968Registered Users
    edited August 17
    MrMecH said:

That is the biggest nonsense assumption I've read on this forum.

I think it will be harder to please hardcore gamers than it is casual gamers.

To casuals its all new, great and fun and they will pick up the lore and learn along the way, to the hardcore gamers its nostalgic in a new graphics game with all the lore popping inside their heads, they usually want to play the books and get even upset by little details.
  • Jman5Jman5 Posts: 97Registered Users
    Marker said:

MrMecH said:

LoL you two are just making assumptions, Casual gamers of fantasy know Ogres, Know Demons ( could be the biggest and best dlc ever ), Know Chaos dwarves and are interested in playing Mercenaries like DoW/Southern realms with maybe amazons and Albion units, and Kislev with its Russian theme. or if they go big, u Have Asian Factions like Cathay, Nippon and KoI. afther the success of 3K the chances are increasing,. I am looking forward to TWW3 more than I am to TWW1, can't compare it yet to TWW2
    Yeah, I can speak to this because I learned about this game this year and knew nothing about the Warhammer lore. I didn't know anything about the playable races other than what I saw on the store page. I like strategy games, I like fantasy games, and the classic total war combat mechanics looked really engaging.

It checked all my boxes, It had a positive rating, so I bought it. That's really all there was to it.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,633Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Nothing here about game play, game info or game questions. Seems more concerned with the business side of a game. Moved to TW Chat.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin