Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Sigmar Wills It! : Kurt Helborg overview

BiesBies Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 1,915
"Reiksguard Knights, your Emperor is calling! Death or glory awaits us, but if we die, we will die as warriors, with swords in hand, and there is no better death than that! "

—Kurt Helborg, The Reiksmarshal of the Reiksguard Knights.

"Aye, the Empire needs heirs. And you are all my heirs. Everyone who lives in this land is my heir. Everyone who fights and bleeds to protect the Empire....They will all be Sigmar’s heirs"

—Emperor Sigmar Heldenhammer, the God of Mankind

Sigmar Wills It! serie includes also:
https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/248775/sigmar-wills-it-ludwig-schwarzhelm-overview#latest
more to come...

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

Comments

• TimpeyoTimpeyo Registered Users Posts: 1,167
    edited August 2019
    this guy and Ludwig I think there the most likely candidates for Old Friends update off Karl Franz

Plus look at that mustache
    Post edited by Timpeyo on

• IokkoIokko Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 422
    This guy is cool! Sounds like his thing wouldnl be leadership, on top of being a great fighter.

"the emperor's chosen" could translate to an imnune to psychology aura and the laurels could imbue his attacks with the "discouraged" effect.

Much more interesting than Schwartzhelm in my opinion.
    Stating opinions as if they're facts in your signature and adding "Change my mind" doesn't make them facts, change my mind.
  • Ares354Ares354 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    Iokko said:

This guy is cool! Sounds like his thing wouldnl be leadership, on top of being a great fighter.

"the emperor's chosen" could translate to an imnune to psychology aura and the laurels could imbue his attacks with the "discouraged" effect.

Much more interesting than Schwartzhelm in my opinion.

Ludwig is not Leader or Lord, he is bodyguard, and do decent job. He is sword of Franz, hand of justice
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 2,643
    Timpeyo said:

this guy and Ludwig I think there the most likely candidates for Old Friends update off Karl Franz

TBH, I think they are the least likely candidates. I really like those two, but gameplay-wise they're just upgrades of the generic melee lords of the Empire - which Karl Franz and Boris Todbringer already are. CA is more likely to chose more unique candidates.
    Fossoway said:

Timpeyo said:

TBH, I think they are the least likely candidates. I really like those two, but gameplay-wise they're just upgrades of the generic melee lords of the Empire - which Karl Franz and Boris Todbringer already are. CA is more likely to chose more unique candidates.
    Yea, LM got in their DLC two Character who are focused on melee fight, only difference is that one can use some magic.
    edited August 2019
    Ares354 said:

Fossoway said:

Timpeyo said:

Yea, LM got in their DLC two Character who are focused on melee fight, only difference is that one can use some magic.
    Mazdamundi is magic focused, Kroq'Gar is the melee lord, Tehenhauin is hybrid, Tiktaq'to is flying focused.

Karl Franz is melee, Todbringer is melee, Helborg is melee, Schwartzhelm is melee. See the problem?
    Fossoway said:

Ares354 said:

Fossoway said:

Timpeyo said:

Mazdamundi is magic focused, Kroq'Gar is the melee lord, Tehenhauin is hybrid, Tiktaq'to is flying focused.

Karl Franz is melee, Todbringer is melee, Helborg is melee, Schwartzhelm is melee. See the problem?
    Ludwing aint LL, see the problem? Tikatq;to is melee focus no matter if he fly or not, understand ?
    Ares354 said:

Fossoway said:

Ares354 said:

Fossoway said:

Timpeyo said:

Ludwing aint LL, see the problem? Tikatq;to is melee focus no matter if he fly or not, understand ?
    Sheesh, talk about being passive-aggressive :neutral:

Ludwig is not a Lord, true, but neither was Tiktaq'to, nor is he as interesting as the Green Knight or Lord Kroak. So he's just another melee lord, or a legendary hero (and Markus Wulfhart is way better as a legendary hero).

Tiktaq'to is flying focused. As much as I hate him, he is still very unique and different from other LM lords. Helborg and Schwartzhelm are melee lord on horses (not sure if they have other mounts). Tobringer and Franz already does that, so why would you want two more of the same?

Here are potential Empire LL (or heroes that can be upgraded to LL status) that have the qualities of being different AND providing a unique gameplay:
    - Markus Wulfhart (ranged)
    - Marius Leitdorf (melee, but his insanity can provide unique mechanics)
    - Elspeth von Dracken (death wizard on a dragon)
    - Emil Varngeir (support lord similar to Volkmar but with the Cult of Ulric)

Tell me, why chose Helborg and Schwartzhelm when there are so many other better, unique and alledgedly more popular choices?
  • ArizonaBlack1ArizonaBlack1 Registered Users Posts: 247
    Fossoway said:

Ares354 said:

Fossoway said:

Timpeyo said:

Anit no problem there bud, Imperial men like to get their hands dirty. That’s why when you rock a mustache that manly you physically cannot help yourself but get up close and personal with it to the enemy. Our boy Franz needs to stop shaving, it’s Embarrassing us.
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,672
    Fossoway said:

Ares354 said:

Fossoway said:

Timpeyo said:

Franz is a mix between Melee and Support (which is why his runefang is an AoE buff), Boris is a tank, Helborg is a cavalry lord but is also meant to deal damage (Grand Master) and Ludwig is meant to be a bodyguard and deal damage.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users Posts: 1,470
    Timpeyo said:

Marius Leitdorf is not impressed.
    Fossoway said:

Ares354 said:

Fossoway said:

Ares354 said:

Fossoway said:

Timpeyo said:

Ludwig is not a Lord, true, but neither was Tiktaq'to, nor is he as interesting as the Green Knight or Lord Kroak. So he's just another melee lord, or a legendary hero (and Markus Wulfhart is way better as a legendary hero).

Tiktaq'to is flying focused. As much as I hate him, he is still very unique and different from other LM lords. Helborg and Schwartzhelm are melee lord on horses (not sure if they have other mounts). Tobringer and Franz already does that, so why would you want two more of the same?

Here are potential Empire LL (or heroes that can be upgraded to LL status) that have the qualities of being different AND providing a unique gameplay:

Tell me, why chose Helborg and Schwartzhelm when there are so many other better, unique and alledgedly more popular choices?
    -First of all, Ludwig can and should be only added as hero option for Franz only, as his bodyguard, and only Empire character with killing blow I am aware of. He is also banner berier which mean he is not only Lord killer but also act like Grail relique. Very interesting chracter imho.
    -Markus would be great if CA will add Middenland faction, because he will fit there best, no reason to put him in reikland.
    -Kurt is another Lord from Rekland who is focused on melee, but also he is first Empire chracter who is not only Commander of Empire army alone, but as well Grand Master of Reiksguard, which is next Lord type Empire miss, and he is only lord who focus very much on Cav, unlike both Boris and Franz do.
    -Marius is good idea, but I would pick Kurt over him
    -Elspeth is another Mage Lord which Empire have.
    -Emil another character who fit very well to Middenland faction alone.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 17,707
    Fossoway said:

Ares354 said:

Fossoway said:

Ares354 said:

Fossoway said:

Timpeyo said:

I'm happy to discuss with you. I promise there's nothing passive about my aggression :D.

This depends if we're talking DLC or FLC. If we're talking an FLC candidate things are a little more open. Hellboring looks like a FLC because he doesn't bring any units with him. He also seems to be a duelist knight lord. Or can at least fit in that slot. That is new for the Empire. Franz is a flying infantry killer, and Volkmar is a support character. It's something we've seen before with CA. Having a duelist and a grinder as LL's. So purely in terms of niche he's okay. Then we need to look at the potential mechanics. HB brings buffs to knights. Nice, simple, easy. Allows a theme army of just knights, it ticks the boxes.

In terms of the others you've selected I'll take out Emil as he's really a DLC LL. He brings the awesome Cult of Ulric units with him. Markus has a good niche as a character, the problem comes with the mechanics. The Empire don't really do archery or skirmishing. They don't have an archer unit. So it's hard to see what he brings unless they add a unit with him. Marius I don't know much about, at best he's probably equal to Hellborg. Elseph rides a dragon and is apparently a Mary Sue type character.

The reality of Empire LL's is most of them are tall male melee characters. They all look rather the same. They're not a diverse group. So it really boils down to mechanics they bring. In terms of that there's probably 3 or 4 that are roughly equal. My personal pick would be the Tod, but if HB can be put somewhere cool and the others can't I'd be down for him.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    @Ares354

"Elspeth is another Mage Lord which Empire have."

Except shes lore of death, ethereal, has a dragon and is good in Melee...

Marius and Kurt are probubly the weakest two out of all the potential candidates because they dont come with any units (Kurt only comes with what he is: a grand master).

Theodoric Grausser, The Tod and Emil are good for their connection to Ulric and all those units.

Eslbeth and Jubal Falk are good because of their connection to Nuln and all those units, and their access to other factions.

Markus could make an excellent Nomadic faction (Vampire coast style, not Beastmen style) leader which would be a new interesting take for the empire and get rid of the problem with fighting mirror matches all day or waiting for confederations.
    edited August 2019
    Ludwig is the Bodyguard archetype that every faction has

you've got: Kouran Darkhand (DE), Tomb Herald Nekaph (TK), Caradryan (HE), Chakax (LM), Borgut Facebeater (GS),Ska Bloodtail (Skaven), Armand d'Aquitaine (bretonnia), Araloth (WE) and so on.

I would like to see the archetype implemented, but it doesn't seem to be something CA is interested in at all.
    @Vanilla_Gorilla

How is Elsbeth a mary sue? shes a powerful wizard who hasn't affected the plot of the warhammer world much at all...I dont think you understand what that really means or implies.

@Vanilla_Gorilla

How is Elsbeth a mary sue? shes a powerful wizard who hasn't affected the plot of the warhammer world much at all...I dont think you understand what that really means or implies.

"Elseph rides a dragon and is apparently a Mary Sue type character". I remember some youtuber apparently had a rant about it. My issue with her is the dragon. Empire shouldn't do Dragons.

Mary Sue - a quick google quoted this as "A Mary Sue is an original character in fan fiction, usually but not always female, who for one reason or another is deemed undesirable by fan critics. A character may be judged Mary Sue if she is competent in too many areas, is physically attractive, and/or is viewed as admirable by other sympathetic characters."

Your description of "shes lore of death, ethereal, has a dragon and is good in Melee" seems to fit that. Granted that fits quite a few characters. Stories involving her apparently have her as a Sue. She doesn't have to be the centre of Warhammer for that to be true. As I said, Dragon's my issue.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
    edited August 2019
    @Vanilla_Gorilla

"Empire shouldn't do Dragons" umm... someone should probubly tell franz that then.

nope. some people conflate a Mary Sue with just "a womz that is strong and not a bad guy" thats not what it is.

best way to think about it is to think about the matrix: remember how they had floppy disks they could upload to peoples heads and that would teach them instantly how to do something perfectly without having any prior knowledge or training?

A Mary sue or gary stue is a character that has had all those floppy disks uploaded to their head. they are smart, beautiful, talented, the centre of attention usually (or at least the centre of the plot) and they excel at anything and everything they try their hand at doing, regardless of prior experience or their own limitations.

they are often an author insert character; a male power fantasy hero, or a female empowerment character.

Elsbeth is not a mary sue because she hasnt been noted to excel at anything and everything. she isnt a socialite: people hate her and in nuln many witch hunters/bounty hunters try to kill her semi regularly. shes anti social, an introvert and shes under constant suspicion from the likes of gelt who basically want her dead.

her character is well defined and she never steps out of those boundaries to excel at something randomly (like a mary sue would)
    edited August 2019

@Vanilla_Gorilla

"Empire shouldn't do Dragons" umm... someone should probubly tell franz that then.

Franz doesn't have a Dragon mount in the game. Thus boosting my point. Thanks.

Besides this Elseph Von Sue doesn't have any real lore significance relative to the others and doesn't have natural mechanics or buffs for units.

HB is significant, has a niche, and has obvious buffs and mechanics.
    @Vanilla_Gorilla

He has a dragon in 7th and 8th edition. Imperial dragons are a thing and Carmine dragons were introduced in Forge world.

If you're going to continue to label her as such I'd like to hear some substantial rebuttlals?...no?...

Elsbeth has plenty of potential buffs. Shes a wizard of shyish so she could give buffs to wizards of her type or wizards in general (gelt only has a -50% upkeep and +2 capacity for the mages in his faction which isn't that great)

being a lady of Nuln, she could also buff Gunpowder units in general (as in, all of them: rifles, artillery, pistoliers, outriders) perhaps being allowed to specialise in one particular field. this would be more substantial for her because of Nuln's gunnery school. not only would the buffs be better but she would facilitate the inclusion of more units than any other lord except for the Ulrican factions, with witch, nuln is relatively tied, if not a close second.

In WH2 characters will either buff the unit that they are assosiated with, so as to buff themselves at the same time, or they will focus purely on themselves (this is why Tyrion and Vlad are so strong, they have no unit equivolant so they have to focus purely on themselves).

with Elsbeth being about as strong a mage as Gelt, she could also focus purely on herself as a mage or as a Dragon rider. So, even if she didn't buff other units, she could buff herself to make herself more powerful.
    edited August 2019
    @Vanilla_Gorilla

as for her lore significance (i find it funny that you've done a complete 180 with that) how much lore significance is required? people want marius and all he did thats significant is start a rebellion (but not really) then die...most of the characters of note in warhammer are only significant in their own little stories. in their own little parts of the world.

Elsbeth isn't hugely important in the larger context of the world, yet she has more lore than many of her other potential candidates and is the most unique lord the empire has ever had. She is one of the most unique characters in the setting because most of warhammer is black and white; most of the good guys are 100% paragons who are powerful and beloved, womanisers or emperors, amazing diplomats or shrewd and successful generals. (* cough*, Garry stues, *Cough* *Cough*)

Elsbeth is not only grey, but shes hated, under suspicion, shes an introvert and hinted at having quite a sad past. thats something youd struggle to find in the entirety of the lore, nevermind the F'ing Reik
    Karl Franz doesn't have a Dragon in the game. EVS would add a random Dragon and clash with something that makes the Empire different.

Compare EVS to HB. HB is more significant, has obvious mechanics and buffs, was in an Empire army book and has a niche. EVS is much less significant, doesn't have obvious mechanics or buffs, was not in an Empire army book, and has a niche by just being good at everything.

I don't particularly like HB, but he's a better choice.
    edited August 2019
    @Vanilla_Gorilla

It doesn't clash with anything if the leader of the empire has a dragon mount in lore. you can look at it one of two ways

Either: her inclusion could also facilitate franz getting his dragon

Or: her being the only one with a dragon mount makes her more desirable.

You've already proven yourself to be wrong on the lore and the definition of a trait you used carelessly and then had to look up on google...after you used it!

this is not the first time ive seen you be confident in your lack of knowledge of the lore either. you've done this multiple times this week, never mind in general.

Helborg is alright...hes not quite Elsbeth/Jubal falk, nor is he quite Todbringer/Emil...Nor is he really Markus wulfhart but hes not too far behind.

Lords dont get in just because they're "supposed to" be in charge of the army. characters get in based on their utility, location, what units they're attached to; what units CA could introduce alongside them. etc.

Helborg is the head of the Reiksgard, hes lead campaigns abroad and hes a grand master. those are the only things he has going for him. if we're talking about his lore significance in terms of what hes actually done/what hes like: hes a monotone character who, to my knowledge, hasn't killed anyone of any note and hasnt done much of anything of any real significance that you could point to and say: he defended X, killed Y, stopped Z. Hes also another character who dies like nothing in the end times, because the end times is the worst.

what units would he bring? he buffs cav but is that it? remember, him and Marius would most likely only get a horse mount, making them kind of a worse option than the generic lord.
    @Vanilla_Gorilla

"EVD is much less significant, doesn't have obvious mechanics or buffs"

aha, you picked the wrong person to come at with that. I made a whole thread on what Wissenland would look like, what units they have, how it compares to other starts etc

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/247969/a-case-for-a-wissenland-dlc-faction/p1

"EVD is not in an Empire army book, and has a niche by just being good at everything."

She's not good at everything in the lore. in the game she would be a powerful mage with a strong mount (Morathi and alarielle are mages who are good in combat. If we get a Caledor DLC for the HE we will see generic mages with Dragon mounts. Egrim Van Horstmann is a sorcerer with a chaos dragon. i could, can and will go on if i have to)

She wouldn't be great in melee on foot, only on her mount (similar to morathi and Alarielle). thats not OP, its conforming to standards already put in place. Gelt is likely super weak because of his lore, he wears that armour because he was almost killed in an explosion.

EVD was in the forgeworld army book, she is a legit character, she has a great niche (several) and her buffs could go in a number of directions, or even be combined!
    edited August 2019
    @Vanilla_Gorilla

Please tell me you aren't one of those people who doesn't regard forgeworld as a thing...because CA have already drawn from forgeworld heavily...if forgeworld isn't legit then i guess i should go take out 90% of the units in my "missing characters and units" series. If forge world isnt a thing then i guess we arent getting the chaos dwarfs ever...or the Land ship...
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 2,405
    Claims to be the best swordsman in the Old World.

Gets crumped by random Bretonnian Grail Knight.

Manages to keep reputation...
  • EnforestEnforest Registered Users Posts: 2,124

Orders his men to shoot a cannon at the Bretonnian Knight who's about to finish Kurt off.

Fixed

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
    Enforest said:

Orders his men to shoot a cannon at the Bretonnian Knight who's about to finish Kurt off.

Fixed
    Sounds like common sense to me. If you're not cheating you're not trying. Makes me like HB more.

Hardly any loser because Grail Knight, and very old one for sure. Maybe he was random, still he was old, so he was better then those who he mange to out live.

Second, in Warhammer, wining matter the most, how many people would do same on his place?

@Ares354

"Elspeth is another Mage Lord which Empire have."

Except shes lore of death, ethereal, has a dragon and is good in Melee...

Marius and Kurt are probubly the weakest two out of all the potential candidates because they dont come with any units (Kurt only comes with what he is: a grand master).

Theodoric Grausser, The Tod and Emil are good for their connection to Ulric and all those units.

Eslbeth and Jubal Falk are good because of their connection to Nuln and all those units, and their access to other factions.

Markus could make an excellent Nomadic faction (Vampire coast style, not Beastmen style) leader which would be a new interesting take for the empire and get rid of the problem with fighting mirror matches all day or waiting for confederations.

Except she is not grand master of her Order, which mean she is not the strongest one of those Death mages. She is good in melee ? how can you prove it ? who she slain to say this ?

Marius has his own land, and some proviniconal units can be used, Kurt can come with new ROR which are far more important then what G&G give us

No Middenland character will ever be part of Reikland faction/

And what new units Nuln bring ?

Markus is not leader of any army, HE cant command one.