Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What is a good gaming laptop which wont cost the earth to play all total war games?

ScotdelboyScotdelboy Posts: 3Registered Users
I currently have a MSI GT70 2 QD Dominator laptop.
Intel I& 2.5 ghz processor with a GTX 970M graphics card.
I have been a total war fan since the very first total war games and have just thought of playing them all on a laptop.
Firstly will i be able to play most games on my current laptop?
Secondly if not what is the best gaming laptop which wont cost the earth to buy???
Thanks in advance
Scott

Comments

• psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,327Registered Users
    Yes.

If you don't want to spend money, I can safely say it would be nuts to upgrade now. You're just not that antiquated yet.

You can shell out a grand and get say 20% more performance out of the CPU side of things, you can shell out 1500+ and do about 30%, or you can pay three to four grand to get something about 50% better.

It will come with several times the processing power on the GPU side of things too, so it's not like the four grand would be a total waste, but for Total War, it's the CPU that will kick your teeth in and keep you around 20-30fps in a 40vs40 anyway.

For gaming in general, I'd say wait for this next generation of cpu's to take over still. The ninth generation stuff is pushing a lot higher clocks, but there's almost nothing available right now in the lower tier of the market. For TW, there's still quite a bit of room to breath with what you've got.

If they put out something in the 1k-1500 range with a hot 9th gen i7 that gives you 40% plus single thread performance, combined with a 2070 or something equivalent, that isn't thermally flawed and won't run maxed out, that's about where I'd jump at an upgrade for my own similar notebook, were it my primary gaming machine.
  • twcaoreltwcaorel Posts: 1Registered Users
    If you wish to play most (not all) of the war games, you will need to spend minimum $1500 and can go up to $2000. For around $1500, you can get up to 9th Gen. Core i7 processor, 6GB VRAM graphics, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB to 512GB SSD or 1TB HDD and a FHD display.

While, for around $2000, you can have same processor and RAM as $1500 laptop but you will get a better graphics card with up to 8GB VRAM, higher SSD storage and somewhat better display.

Now, you can check the minimum system requirements for the war games you wish to play and get a gaming laptop accordingly.

Reference: Best Gaming Laptops Under $1500 | Best Gaming Laptops Under $2000
  • ScotdelboyScotdelboy Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks for taking time to reply to me guys.
    Yes I have been looking at laptops and agree pretty much with what you sat about the cost vs performance.

Do you find the prices come down on newer technology eg... cpu gpu laptops pretty fast over months?
    Or am i looking at 12 months to 2 years to be more affordable?
    my budget would be 1000 pounds to 1500.

In the past ive always use xbox one with a desktop but as im getting older i find the laptop is the most used now with work, gaming and also using online cycling.
    Thats how i can kind of accept a little cost for a much better laptop.

What cpu Gpus would you say would be best?
    You can get a couple off brand's with i7 9750h's, and rtx 2070's in the $1500 range now. I'd be wary of trusting them without solid reviews, thermal issues are the norm in performance gaming laptops, but they're out there.

They don't drop fast though, they're generally more expensive than faster successors. A 2060 is faster than a 1070, but when you go looking for a laptop with a 1070, they're substantially more expensive.

Right now, I'd be after a 9750h and a 2070, and stay the hell away from Max-Q's, they're horrible and expensive.
  • ScotdelboyScotdelboy Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks again.
    Excuse the novice nature of this question but why not with max q??
    The mobile version of the 2070 is about 20% slower than the desktop version. The Max-Q is around 30% slower, and they charge a couple hundred bucks more for the privilege of owning one.

If you want the performance of a mobile 2060, just buy the 2060 first and save a grand. :)
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,633Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    There is no gaming laptop that is not going to cost you.....

"The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin