Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Where to start?

TheAntsAreBackTheAntsAreBack Posts: 12Registered Users
Hello, I've bought TW:W 1&2 and I find myself wondering where to start in this game. If I understand things correctly the first game plays more like a traditional Total War conquest campaign and that TW:W2s Vortex campaign is "better" in various ways.

Could anyone tell me what the main difference are in new player experience between the two? I feel like my for choices of race in TW:W2 are not that inspiring to me (except perhaps Skaven).

Comments

• wunderb0rwunderb0r Junior Member Posts: 409Registered Users
    did you take a peak @ mortal empires yet? :)
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,625Registered Users
    If i got to start again what i would like best as a first campaign would be a mortsl empires Bretonnia campaign
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Posts: 822Registered Users
    I'm guessing by your post that you have played other total war games in the past. In that case:

Warhammer 1 indeed plays like a typical total war campaig of conquest.

Warhammer 2's "eye of the vortex campaign" is more story-driven and has an objective that does not necessarily force you to conquer everything, although you will still be conquering things while fulfilling the objectives.

If you own both games however, you can download for free the "mortal empires" campaign. It has a huge map that includes the areas of both games, without the special objectives of the vortex campaign. In mortal empires you can also play any race from either game, and when playing a game one race here you will benefit from all the quality of life changes that were added in game 2.

Personally I find the vortex campaign the most fun, as I feel that a campaign of conquest can get tedious over time. If you prefer the game 1 races however, I would recommend mortal empires campaign, as there are several changes between game 1 and 2 that make game 2 more fun, even when playing the older races.

I see only 2 possible reasons for why you would want to play game 1; The first being if you want to play the specific wood elf or beastmen campaigns, and the second being if your computer is slow and mortal empires strains it too much. Otherwise mortal empires is superior to the game 1 campaign in every way.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,150Registered Users

If i got to start again what i would like best as a first campaign would be a mortsl empires Bretonnia campaign

Bretonnia is perhaps the worst choice for a new player, since all the base peasant armies are significantly weaker than those of other factions. A new player would get wrecked if his first faction is Bretonnia.

Better pick High Elves, Dwarfs or Lizardmen (Kroq'Gar in ME). Empire is not bad too but are currently outdated. Those are very forgiving and "Noob Friendly". I'd recommend starting with the Dwarfs in the first game to learn the ropes.
  • Firkraag888Firkraag888 Posts: 1,407Registered Users
    edited August 20
    @Op.

If you are playing on the easy difficultys then pick any race you want and go for it. Perhaps avoid races with low leadership like Brettonia and Skaven because the constant routing will be quite confusing for you.

Dont worry to much about the different campaigns. It will be highly unlikely you will finish either of them anyway, they are both enormous.

Just keep playing the game and aim to raise the difficulty levels up to very hard asap. You dont want to be playing on easy.

Understanding how tww works is a very long journey in regards to both battle combat and campaign strategy.

I HIGHLY recommend you watch:

This Youtuber for battle tactics:

Milkandcookies

This Youtuber for campaign strategy:

Legend of total war

Enjoy

• DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 2,599Registered Users
    What are you looking for in your choice of factions? What attracts you to the Skaven?
  • TheAntsAreBackTheAntsAreBack Posts: 12Registered Users

and when playing a game one race here you will benefit from all the quality of life changes that were added in game 2.

Ah thank you. That gets to the heart of one of my questions. I wasn't sure if the QOL improvements of game 2 were incorporated into a Mortal Empires campaign.

I have played a few TW games in the past ; Medieval, Rome and a little Shogun 2. It's been a while though.

As far as why I like Skaven - I'm just an old Warhammer fan that's liked Skaven since they first appeared s in the pages of WD back in the 80s.

So, thanks for the info folks, looks like the main choice is Vortex with Lizards or Skaven, or ME with perhaps Empire or Chaos.
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 2,599Registered Users

and when playing a game one race here you will benefit from all the quality of life changes that were added in game 2.

Ah thank you. That gets to the heart of one of my questions. I wasn't sure if the QOL improvements of game 2 were incorporated into a Mortal Empires campaign.

I have played a few TW games in the past ; Medieval, Rome and a little Shogun 2. It's been a while though.

As far as why I like Skaven - I'm just an old Warhammer fan that's liked Skaven since they first appeared s in the pages of WD back in the 80s.

So, thanks for the info folks, looks like the main choice is Vortex with Lizards or Skaven, or ME with perhaps Empire or Chaos.
    The only downside to the Skaven right now is that they're currently missing a lot of their Clan Moulder monsters. If you prefer lots of crazy Clan Skyre weaponry, though, they're in a good place right now.
  • SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Posts: 1,169Registered Users
    edited August 20
    @TheAntsAreBack

I saw people recommend Legend of total war for advice but his content is massive. It's in the form of streams and such. also, he shows you by doing and doesn't really break down the mechanics.

For a first time player, you will be unfamiliar with some of the unit types, some of the mechanics like armour piercing and how some factions function.

For all this info I cannot recommend Zerkovich enough. He does breakdowns of individual mechanics and stratagies and has videos where he goes through a factions units one by one and explains its role. Then he puts that factions strengths on display with gameplay examples and lets you know what works best for their playstyle.

He does do alot of let's plays and stuff as well though, so you might have to sift through his videos a bit to find what you're after, or go into his playlists.

Zerkovich
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ZerkovichVsThePeople
    edited August 20
    Fossoway said:

Bretonnia is perhaps the worst choice for a new player, since all the base peasant armies are significantly weaker than those of other factions. A new player would get wrecked if his first faction is Bretonnia.

Better pick High Elves, Dwarfs or Lizardmen (Kroq'Gar in ME). Empire is not bad too but are currently outdated. Those are very forgiving and "Noob Friendly". I'd recommend starting with the Dwarfs in the first game to learn the ropes.
    In its current state it is the campaign i would have liked the most if i came as a new player.

I would have come in pretty blind. Would have chosen easy or normal. Then i would probably have turtled. Louen would hsve farmed those greenskins and i would have loved having my archers on that hill with trebuchets. Then CHARGE. Easy wins until Louen would hsve been like level 17. With mount, grail vow etc Louen is a one man army. Would by now probably confeded a few dukedoms. And then built a doomstack of grail knights. I would have felt great. Then continue confeds and just getting chivalry. Chosen a few fun enemies for my doomstacks and felt like an awesome general. Then done the final battle.

I would have been so amazed.

While i did like my first campaign in wh1 (empire) it had many issues. First off auto walls would have been great to have as i got alot of stuff sacked. Second endgsme was a grind (bret has much better victory conditions). Third i fought mostly empire as empire, not cool (confed dilemmas i would have loved). Fourth doomstacks wasnt as easy, cool and fun as grail knights. Fifth no final battle. Sixth agent spam was bad.

Oh man i would have been so amazed if i got the current bret csmpaign as my first WHTW campaign.
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • PatriksevePatrikseve Member Posts: 1,637Registered Users
    I honestly think you cant go wrong with either Mortal Empires or Vortex. Mortal Empires combines game 1 and 2 grand campaign maps into one giant. Vortex is game 2s grand campaign focusing on a chunk of the warhammer world. Game 1s grand campaign does the same. If you want a little more story and a more focused big campaign Vortex is a good start. If you want something a bit bigger and a little more sandboxy mortal empires is the way to go. The advantage of mortal empires is that you have more factions to play as and a bit more variation in enemies you fight.

• haynamshaynams Posts: 267Registered Users
    I’d start with a vortex campaign as Tyrion.

The high elves are pretty straight-forward in terms of their play style and their strategy. Their troops are solid, with spearmen and archers being blue chips, and Tyrion himself being a solid lord.

This would really be a great place to start to get your head around this game. Once you get through this campaign, I’d something like Skaven or undead.
  • Ingr8Ingr8 Posts: 233Registered Users
    wunderb0r said:

did you take a peak @ mortal empires yet? :)

Yes, he should definitely climb a mountain before starting Mortal Empires.

When you gets to W2 I would suggest trying the Vortex with one of the regular original characters first (Tyrion, Mazdamundi, Malekith etc). If you play one of the newer campaigns (Ikit, Hellebrion etc) you might be disappointed by the reduced mechanics in the original campaign otherwise.

Yes, I damn well would!
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,150Registered Users

Fossoway said:

In its current state it is the campaign i would have liked the most if i came as a new player.

I would have come in pretty blind. Would have chosen easy or normal. Then i would probably have turtled. Louen would hsve farmed those greenskins and i would have loved having my archers on that hill with trebuchets. Then CHARGE. Easy wins until Louen would hsve been like level 17. With mount, grail vow etc Louen is a one man army. Would by now probably confeded a few dukedoms. And then built a doomstack of grail knights. I would have felt great. Then continue confeds and just getting chivalry. Chosen a few fun enemies for my doomstacks and felt like an awesome general. Then done the final battle.

While i did like my first campaign in wh1 (empire) it had many issues. First off auto walls would have been great to have as i got alot of stuff sacked. Second endgsme was a grind (bret has much better victory conditions). Third i fought mostly empire as empire, not cool (confed dilemmas i would have loved). Fourth doomstacks wasnt as easy, cool and fun as grail knights. Fifth no final battle. Sixth agent spam was bad.

Oh man i would have been so amazed if i got the current bret csmpaign as my first WHTW campaign.
    No offense, I do understand where you come from, but I'd pity the newcomer who start his first campaign with Bretonnia.

Chances are a new player will play super aggressive. First problem: the Bretonnians starts weak. If you don't know what you're doing, you're gonna lose hard. Then you'll have to endure the early game enemies: Marienburg, Norsca, that Orc settlement in the north and the incursions. Mousillon and Khazrak. High Elves too if you're playing ME. That's really rough if you're still learning the ropes.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 6,240Registered Users
    I’d lay off of the Greenskins and Empire at least and play them when they get their updates. Unless you want to try them before and after.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • SagrandaSagranda Posts: 1,591Registered Users
    Imho the best rule when it comes to "which faction should I pick as a beginner?" is to ignore what everyone says and to just play around with what sounds most interesting/fun to me. What I may do is to look at a little bit of gameplay of the particular faction or read a bit about how they play in battles/the campaign, but nothing more.
    Somehow, most of the time I end with the faction, class, weapon, etc. that people usually don't recommend to newcommers. If I had gone with those "beginner friendly recommendations" I would have left a lot of games pretty much right away.
    "Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
    Fossoway said:

Fossoway said:

No offense, I do understand where you come from, but I'd pity the newcomer who start his first campaign with Bretonnia.

Chances are a new player will play super aggressive. First problem: the Bretonnians starts weak. If you don't know what you're doing, you're gonna lose hard. Then you'll have to endure the early game enemies: Marienburg, Norsca, that Orc settlement in the north and the incursions. Mousillon and Khazrak. High Elves too if you're playing ME. That's really rough if you're still learning the ropes.
    None taken mate

(Lol first when i wrote it it became one taken mate)
    I was still learning the ropes in TWW1 when I started Clan Angrund. The thing about a hardish campaign is that if you like the faction then you’re just going to try it until you make it. Either that or give up 😂.

But liking a faction gives you a boost towards your will to play and also persevere.
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 4,133Registered Users
    RikRiorik said:

I was still learning the ropes in TWW1 when I started Clan Angrund. The thing about a hardish campaign is that if you like the faction then you’re just going to try it until you make it. Either that or give up 😂.

But liking a faction gives you a boost towards your will to play and also persevere.

Angrund was my first dwarf playthrough, but I had a lot of back and forth of wanting to go to K8P or go wipe out Skarsnik and being terrified of leaving my only couple of settlements unprotected.
    Later

RikRiorik said:

Angrund was my first dwarf playthrough, but I had a lot of back and forth of wanting to go to K8P or go wipe out Skarsnik and being terrified of leaving my only couple of settlements unprotected.
    Me too. I didn’t knpw what to do or whera to go. I also restarted around 15 times before getting a proper campaign off of the ground.
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 4,133Registered Users
    RikRiorik said:

RikRiorik said:

Me too. I didn’t knpw what to do or whera to go. I also restarted around 15 times before getting a proper campaign off of the ground.
    I never restarted, but I probably should have. Instead I spent like 50 turns going back and forth across a small stretch of land before finally just leaving for K8P after I was finally able to raise a 2nd lord and small defensive army. In the end, I don't even think anyone attacked me there after I left.
    Later
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Posts: 853Registered Users
    Can never go wrong with an Empire start. Still my favorite faction to this day.

Fossoway said:

WTF brettonia are 100% regarded as the worst race. They are useless even the rats are better then them

Fossoway said:

WTF brettonia are 100% regarded as the worst race. They are useless even the rats are better then them
    Both the rats and bretonnia is awesome
    edited August 21

Fossoway said:

Both the rats and bretonnia is awesome
    Ikit claw was a game changer but other then that i must disagree with you my sir. Brettonia are the worst faction by far in tww2. Easily. There flying cav have a very low mass and have very little impact on charges.

You name one faction that is weaker then them?
  • TheAntsAreBackTheAntsAreBack Posts: 12Registered Users
    edited August 22
    Well I ended up choosing the Vortex campaign as Lizards (Last Defenders) and so far for it feels great. Never been a huge fan of Lizardmen in the tabletop game but they are growing on me. So far I've played about 30 turns and I'm sure I've made so many mistakes. Not sure how many settlements I should have now or what buildings I should be prioritising so I think I'll end up restarting now that some of the systems are becoming a little clearer.
    Post edited by TheAntsAreBack on
  • Red11sgbRed11sgb Posts: 148Registered Users

Well here I ended up choosing the Vortex campaign as Lizards (Last Defenders) and so for it feels great. Never been a huge fan of Lizardmen in the tabletop game but they are growing on me. So far I've played about 30 turns and I'm sure I've made so many mistakes. Not sure how many settlements I should have now or what buildings I should be prioritising so I think I'll end up restarting now that some of the systems are beginning a little clearer.

Best way to learn is to play. When I got WH2 I started with them first also, mainly because of dinosaurs!