Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Europe 1853-1871, Saga idea!

Xeno195Xeno195 Junior MemberPosts: 7Registered Users
A Saga game that focuses on the rise and the creation of the German State, and the European powers during the mid 19th century. Starting with the Crimean War and ending with the Franco-Prussian War and the unification of Germany. Of course, it will focus on Prussia and Austria trying to dominate the German states, having events like the Second Schleswig War for Prussia and the Italian wars of independence for Austria.

Although the map would focus on Europe, North Africa and Asia Minor, there would still be enough interesting events to make other nations fun to play, like the Ottoman Empire and Russia.

However, the time period would be interesting for a Second Empire total war, if expanded to cover the whole global, or multiple theatres of war.

What's your opinion?

Comments

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,186Registered Users
    Seems too large in scale for a Saga. Pretty much the scale of Napoleon. Plus would need a new fire arm based TW to be the Saga spin off of.
  • Xeno195Xeno195 Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    Point taken, it will probably need a new engine or run on the Shogun 2 engine (FotS).

I have always seen the expansion packs to the major titles as saga titles, in the sense that the "expansions" are set within the era of the major title but focuses on an event or character's life.

Thrones of Britannia is set 878AD that carries on till 1066AD with the Norman Invasion as the end game event. That's a 188 years!

I'm suggesting a title that is under 2 decades.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 3,908Registered Users
    Yes, I reckon they could use FotS for a Victorian style units. Although, from what I've seen the game map will usually be the size of a medium country.. Japan, British Isles etc. The area around modern Germany, Denmark, Parts of France and Austria may be reasonable. I wouldn't mind seeing unification of Italy as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing unification of Italy as well.

If the map was like that of TW: Napoleon for example, then you could have the Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia as a playable faction, which would play through the unification of Italy. I fear that having the unification of Italy as its own Saga would be too similar to TW: Napoleon's Italy Campaign.

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,186Registered Users
    Xeno195 said:

Point taken, it will probably need a new engine or run on the Shogun 2 engine (FotS).

I have always seen the expansion packs to the major titles as saga titles, in the sense that the "expansions" are set within the era of the major title but focuses on an event or character's life.

Thrones of Britannia is set 878AD that carries on till 1066AD with the Norman Invasion as the end game event. That's a 188 years!

I'm suggesting a title that is under 2 decades.

More the next Saga is going to use the Attila or 3K engine. I don't see them going back to a 8 year old engine and lose all the improvements from it. They have 0 ground work in the recent games for a gunpowder based game.

They can be now, they weren't back then. But as you say they are spin offs in an area and similar time period that the base covers. Napoleon was the last near this time point & area.

Time scale isn't a factor. Europe, North Africa & Anatolian is much bigger than the British isles. If they were to do such game as a Saga they'd make it a far smaller area than this such as only central Europe. With so many of the small German states playing a role I feel it would need to be focused down for them.

Yes, I reckon they could use FotS for a Victorian style units. Although, from what I've seen the game map will usually be the size of a medium country.. Japan, British Isles etc. The area around modern Germany, Denmark, Parts of France and Austria may be reasonable. I wouldn't mind seeing unification of Italy as well.

If they do finally get around to a Victorian TW it could keep the Saga system going for decades lol
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 3,908Registered Users
    tbf I think both German and Italian unification would be over-reaching for a Saga, but, it would certainly open the door to turning a TW game into a GCSE study companion.

Since watching 1864 (A Danish drama) I've often thought of a TW game based around this period. I think a map centralised in Germany with large portions of France and the Austrian Empire surrounding would make an interesting map. Also with Denmark, which would act as an introductory campaign as this was what the War with Denmark was used for, a test of Germany's growing army.
    Reading through and having a good old think, I have concluded that for the time period the only conflict that would fit the Saga role would be the American Civil War.

However, as already stated, I don't think the era would fit with the current TW engine. We will have to wait for quite a while for CA to develop a new engine that would be fitting for an Industrial era game.

I do hope they do an Empire 2 set during the mid to late 19th century, then they could do campaign DLCs focusing on more important conflicts.