Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How do modder work? do they get paid?

Unknown6203Unknown6203 Posts: 669Registered Users
edited August 29 in Total War General Chat
I always wondered what do modders get out of making free work for the company.

Do they use said projects for university? or as a porfolio? what do they get out of it?

Also why don't the companies of Devs hire them as temp employees or something... some have crazy talent if i were a company i would hire them in parttime stay at home positions.

Comments

• RewanRewan Senior Member Posts: 1,174Registered Users
    edited August 29
    Back in the days, modders would do their stuff because it was their hobby. (And that's coming from someone whose father who is 70+ y/o would make maps in ArmA II just for the kick of it - sometimes overnight)

While nowadays we have some modders that make their work pay-to-play, I believe the vast majority of them still do it because it's their hobby. Sure there was quite often the Paypal support link, but modders do it just "because" and usually money is a bonus, not a motivator.

You assume they make "free work for the company.". You're wrong : they make "free work" (bleh) for themselves and the community first and foremost. (Of course modder work can inspire a game developper for some ideas, and modders can definitely work in a company using their work as a "proof-of-concept" kind of thing)

EDIT : Also this is probably going to get moved since it has little to do with 3K itself.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,239Registered Users
    Many of past and present CA members were modders themselves.
  • Unknown6203Unknown6203 Posts: 669Registered Users
    Rewan said:

Back in the days, modders would do their stuff because it was their hobby. (And that's coming from someone whose father who is 70+ y/o would make maps in ArmA II just for the kick of it - sometimes overnight)

While nowadays we have some modders that make their work pay-to-play, I believe the vast majority of them still do it because it's their hobby. Sure there was quite often the Paypal support link, but modders do it just "because" and usually money is a bonus, not a motivator.

You assume they make "free work for the company.". You're wrong : they make "free work" (bleh) for themselves and the community first and foremost. (Of course modder work can inspire a game developper for some ideas, and modders can definitely work in a company using their work as a "proof-of-concept" kind of thing)

EDIT : Also this is probably going to get moved since it has little to do with 3K itself.

I know but where else to ask. general is where people are at.

• LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    Modders do not get paid as per se. Modding is a hobby first and foremost.

Some people do have a patreon though (see grimhammer and crynsos faction unlocker for warhammer 2)
    Modding have always been a hobby, made by enthustiasts for free and is free of charge.

Steam did try to impliment a "Buy mod" system so modders could get paid, but scrapped it due to various reasons.

And as Rewan said: Modders do not work for the company. They make mods because it's a hobby.

Personally i make mods for my own benefit, sharing them on steam workshop is just me wanting others to benefit from them too.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,629Registered Users

Do they use said projects for university? or as a porfolio? what do they get out of it?

Also why don't the companies of Devs hire them as temp employees or something... some have crazy talent if i were a company i would hire them in parttime stay at home positions.

If they got paid some sort of quality control would have to be imposed upon them, which currently is not the case.

• KirkwaldKirkwald Posts: 51Registered Users

Some modders do it for themselves, i.e. they don't like a particular feature or content, so they change them to suit their tastes. This can go from something like buffing or nerfing stats to adding new units that weren't available before.
    Laindesh said:

Some people do have a patreon though (see grimhammer and crynsos faction unlocker for warhammer 2)
    Modding have always been a hobby, made by enthustiasts for free and is free of charge.

Steam did try to impliment a "Buy mod" system so modders could get paid, but scrapped it due to various reasons.

And as Rewan said: Modders do not work for the company. They make mods because it's a hobby.

Personally i make mods for my own benefit, sharing them on steam workshop is just me wanting others to benefit from them too.

But i just think their talent is wasted. they are very talented.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,872Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    CA does hire modders, not many but certainly a few.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png

CA does hire modders, not many but certainly a few.

I am talking overall, its doesnt have to be CA. But how do they work? from home, or do thye move to where the company is located.
  • KirkwaldKirkwald Posts: 51Registered Users

Laindesh said:

But i just think their talent is wasted. they are very talented.
    To their benefit, top modders like Radious and SFO get copies of the game earlier than everybody else just like youtube e-celebs. Especially since these modders can influence a significant portion of the playerbase.