Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Little bumps during gameplay.. GOOSEBUMPS ..

Aventus_MaximusAventus_Maximus Posts: 230Registered Users
So theoretical speaking…. lets say that I am playing Warhammer 2 with all of the graphical settings on high 1080p

On a ryzen 5 2600 which drops to 3800mhz during gameplay because of temperatures between 50 and 60 degrees C
with 32 gb of ddr 4 memory running at 2933 mhz
and a aorus x470 ultra gaming and a aorus 2060 super

If i experience bumps during the tactical battles where should i look to see the problem.
Is, for example the cpu limiting the gpu? is the gpu automatically limited because it is a 2060 and not a 70 or an 80?
does memory speed have anything to do in this equation?
Is the fact that i'm using a crucial PCIE P1 M.2 drive the factor ( i'm noting this since i noticed that the first warhammer works almost flawless since i've transported it to the crucial mx500 SATA M.2 drive )

anyone?

Male Parta Male Dilabuntur – ‘What has been wrongly gained is wrongly lost.’
Fiat Lux – ‘Let there be light.’
Alea Jacta Est – ‘The die is cast.’

Comments

• psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,327Registered Users
    It's your CPU.

Warhammer II is more graphically intensive. It uses a little more GPU, and a little more CPU to feed the GPU, at the same time.

Since it's still DX11, the 2060 Super is powerful enough to cap out a modern processor in the wrong conditions. If you had an overclocked 9900K, you might avoid this. If you weren't down throttling because of thermals, same thing.

Games get around draw calls by fusing objects together. You build a whole map, with trees, grass, street signs, etc, and then fuse it all to load as one object with one texture. One object, one draw call per frame. Throw in lighting, shadows, etc, and you do multiple draw calls, per object, per frame.

Your objects are independently animated? You be ****. The larger the object count, the more screwed the situation gets. For ultra size units, a 40vs40 battle can have several thousand of them. That gets you into the neighborhood of half a million draw calls per object at 60fps, multiplied by the number of operations being done on them. An average of two light sources per object, and you triple that. Then you add a draw call for every object with a shadow applied. There's another half a million just for the ground, and in a tightly packed environment, millions more as your men cast shadows on each other.

Just fired off a volley of light casting fire arrows? Hello draw calls!

The top end of processors is only good for a few million draw calls without DX12 or Vulkan. The 2060 Super can probably handle around 30 million.
  • Aventus_MaximusAventus_Maximus Posts: 230Registered Users
    psychoak said:

It's your CPU.

Warhammer II is more graphically intensive. It uses a little more GPU, and a little more CPU to feed the GPU, at the same time.

Since it's still DX11, the 2060 Super is powerful enough to cap out a modern processor in the wrong conditions. If you had an overclocked 9900K, you might avoid this. If you weren't down throttling because of thermals, same thing.

Games get around draw calls by fusing objects together. You build a whole map, with trees, grass, street signs, etc, and then fuse it all to load as one object with one texture. One object, one draw call per frame. Throw in lighting, shadows, etc, and you do multiple draw calls, per object, per frame.

Your objects are independently animated? You be ****. The larger the object count, the more screwed the situation gets. For ultra size units, a 40vs40 battle can have several thousand of them. That gets you into the neighborhood of half a million draw calls per object at 60fps, multiplied by the number of operations being done on them. An average of two light sources per object, and you triple that. Then you add a draw call for every object with a shadow applied. There's another half a million just for the ground, and in a tightly packed environment, millions more as your men cast shadows on each other.

Just fired off a volley of light casting fire arrows? Hello draw calls!

The top end of processors is only good for a few million draw calls without DX12 or Vulkan. The 2060 Super can probably handle around 30 million.

So can i conclude, with what you are telling, that with DX12 the communication between device and program becomes more fluent removing the need for a high grade cpu? Or in my case scenario i can ask for more calls?

Warhammer 2 is so demanding here and now.. last night i watched an earlier replay on dx 11 settings all on medium but still with SSAO turned on, and even then the gpu was at the same level of when i asked everything from the previous gpu with ultra and antialias x4 ( with alias being turned off now )
    i guess with your explanation i'm able to understand better how things work though

Yep, it's all about the draw calls. Your video card is capable of about ten times as many, as DX11 can reasonably accomplish. We're way, way past the saturation point on what DX11 can handle, versus what a GPU can. If you jumped up to 1440p, you'd probably end up using other aspects of the GPU heavily enough to bottleneck it first, and certainly at 4k.

Getting rid of things like lighting will reduce the draw calls, but other than that kind of thing, the visuals are going to be largely irrelevant to altering your performance.

There isn't any high grade CPU either, if you could OC an i9 9900K to 8Ghz, you'd still cap it out first against a 2080 Ti in a large scale battle at 1080p. :)
    Medium settings it is for warhammer II.DX 12 No antialias or SSAO and vignette, unit settings are on Ultra and vsync turned on, i'm a happy guy,

Plz excuse the somewhat blueish taint of the second shot, It went a bit wrong with an OCD steam overlay picture function and Nvidia photo used in almost the same timeframe

Some more Blue ;) I feel like in support of the hong kong rebels though i remain undetermined about the whole affair

If it's working for you, yay, but the current implementation of DX12 in this game is extremely poor. Most people actually have worse performance, and it doesn't appear to do anything in the way of threading driver access.
    psychoak said:

If it's working for you, yay, but the current implementation of DX12 in this game is extremely poor. Most people actually have worse performance, and it doesn't appear to do anything in the way of threading driver access.

You should see what stardock is using atm in ashes of singularity. If i switch between dx 11 and 12 the only real thing that changes is an extra 4 gb's of vram use and nothing more.. This starts from the launch screen right up in the game its self.
    The other ludicriss example is that apparently the've decided on letting all calculations run through the cpu at the same time... granting low ram gpu usage and very high cpu usage ( between 80 and 100 % )

Then this blue marking is very sweet to witness mate

Yeah, I've got it, runs like a dream on an i9 9980XE. :)

Been bitching about DirectX since late 2007, back when Sins of a Solar Empire and Supreme Commander were both already crippling single core engine designs. :)

Supreme Commander runs perfect now too, Sins can still peg a core and chug.
    Well i just switched back to a 1050Ti mainly because i'm beta testing some other game which is fairly unoptimized and i have to say.
    It is really terrible how SEGA/CA handles there upscaling of the game throughout time.

Recommended gpu is a 770 gtx 4 gb. This would mean you could play the game choosing high settings on 1080p with 60 fps. I'm barely able to scroll around the main screen when i choose low settings ( manually lowed everything ) without any glitch. Only when i use the resolutionscaler to drop around 97% i scroll fluent for most area's on the map...

I guess if i would have been a stuckup i would have courted them quite some time already.
    2 years ago you could play the game just fine but at this current moment.

I know lawsuits of this magnitute would just be a waste of money for both parties but someone needs to standup against these outrageous increases