Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Settings Not Saving, preferences.script.txt is not being created

PossibleTangoPossibleTango Posts: 5Registered Users
I've been on google for the past hour and can not find a way for the game to create this file, it seems that the files are read only and I have no idea how to let them write to the file. Any suggestions?

Comments

• HoorTaelHoorTael Posts: 1Registered Users
    I'm having the same issue, tried changing the rights through cmd, but still is read only...
  • pugwashpugwash Posts: 1Registered Users
    Same issue here as well. Cannot save any settings, the preference file is not being created despite the scripts folder not being read only
  • AexraelAexrael Posts: 18Registered Users
    It might be related to the latest Geforce Experience Update, 3.20.0.118, I didn't see the behavior on 3.19.0.107
  • EluzianEluzian Posts: 4Registered Users
    I am also having this issue. Sound, video and game play settings are not saving. I am unable to locate the preferences file.

Shame because I want to play the new Hunters/Beast DLC without having to redo my settings each time I launch the game.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,185Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Disabling Geforce Experience resolves the issue, at least in Rome II.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/2486880/#Comment_2486880

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • MurthorOathstone12MurthorOathstone12 Posts: 54Registered Users
    I uninstalled Geforce experience, and I am still having issues, for example, dead bodies keeps reverting back to 30 seconds before they disappear, doesn't matter if I change it to permanent or if I change the script settings directly, the setting always reverts back to 30 seconds.
    Khazukan Kazakit-ha!

"In the centuries I have been the High King, our enemies have thought us weak, cowards hiding in the deepest, darkest places. Heh, fools! Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, etched in blood! Clan Gurnisson! Karak Eight-Peaks! Josef Bugman! The Urks must pay, Let them come..."

"One wrong put right, yet the Great Book of Grudges...remains full..."

- High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer.
    I also reverted back to the previous driver from the latest one, no fix there. so this issue is clearly a bug with the game.
    Khazukan Kazakit-ha!

"In the centuries I have been the High King, our enemies have thought us weak, cowards hiding in the deepest, darkest places. Heh, fools! Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, etched in blood! Clan Gurnisson! Karak Eight-Peaks! Josef Bugman! The Urks must pay, Let them come..."

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,185Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Is this one of those settings like unit size that can only be changed before starting a campaign?

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

Its any settings at all, the Preferences script does not update in order to reflect the changes done to the options, and I foolishly deleted my script, because I assumed that it was simply a fault script, but now my game crashes EVERYTIME I exit the game, and nothing I do fixes it. because there is no script being created to take its place.
    Khazukan Kazakit-ha!

combine that with the other issues I came across, such as this one.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/2487299#Comment_2487299

I can no longer enjoy this game until the hotfix patch comes out to fix these issues.
    Khazukan Kazakit-ha!

This is happening on Patch 1.7.0 by the way.
    Khazukan Kazakit-ha!

Its any settings at all, the Preferences script does not update in order to reflect the changes done to the options, and I foolishly deleted my script, because I assumed that it was simply a fault script, but now my game crashes EVERYTIME I exit the game, and nothing I do fixes it. because there is no script being created to take its place.

You could try adding this dummy one https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/1968012/#Comment_1968012

edited September 13
    I am reinstalling the game, seeing if that will work, the trouble is it will not be done for a day or so, due to my internet speed being terrible. So I will have to wait till its done downloading in order to test that dummy script.
    Khazukan Kazakit-ha!

• EluzianEluzian Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited September 15
    Every time I launch the game, ALL settings seem to be revert back to default.
    Graphics settings (Resolution set back to 1080 instead of 1440, Full screen instead of borderless window, Unlimited video memory not checked, V-sync not checked, etc.)
    Sound settings (Music and master volume set to 100%, subtitles not checked, etc.)
    Game settings (Adviser set to high frequency, Default skirmish mode ON, Default guard mode OFF, etc.)

I have tried disabling Geforce Experience but the issue persists. I also do not force-close the game and let it close by itself. I've also tried changing just one or two settings then restarting the game but ALL settings revert to default.

This has nothing to do with unit size once the campaign has started.
  • DiddlysliceOGDiddlysliceOG Posts: 2Registered Users
    You have you disable the geforce optimisation and the ingame overlay. That is how I seemed to fix it for me.
  • WinButlerWinButler Posts: 4Registered Users
    The whole Warhammer2 folder in the users folder is set to read-only. For whatever reason, it wont accept it being disabled and as such no settings you apply ever actually stick. This is a recent issue so surely something has been **** up on CA's end if loads of people are reporting this.
    WinButler said:

The whole Warhammer2 folder in the users folder is set to read-only. For whatever reason, it wont accept it being disabled and as such no settings you apply ever actually stick. This is a recent issue so surely something has been **** up on CA's end if loads of people are reporting this.

I think what is happening is CA settings are being over-ridden by Geforce Experience. This may help https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/2533041/#Comment_2533041

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file