Greetings everyone, today I just wanted to sort out some of the pros and cons that are coming with the upcoming lord pack that have been showcased so far. I do this as their has been multiple thread started recently that give CA praise, to criticism, to outright insulting their integrity as a company. So I hope to make an unbiased list of the positives and negatives of the new DLC in case anyone is still on the fence about buying it. If I miss any please let me know in the comments, I will be happy to add any serious concerns or positive traits. This will be all encompassing, even if some of it is FLC CA has stated when releasing a new Lord Pack part of the budget goes to reworking old world factions.
- The biggest news out of this lord pack is without a doubt that cross game DLC is a reality. This opens the door to a whole plethora of new units and DLC's to Warhammers older races.
- Empire rework! Finally an elector counts system is added to the game. How it works exactly has yet to be seen, but it is a vast improvement above the offices system.
- Brand new Empire Legendary Lord after three years of waiting (yes grim and the grave released September 1st 2016).
- 4th edition war wagon was added as a new unit. This proves that CA is not afraid to draw from older source material for ideas.
- 13 new province units were added to the game for Empire. Giving a loreful and fun reason to unite the Empire.
- Nakai The Wanderer is a playable Legendary Lord after many people thought he would never be in game.
- Gor Rok is also now included as a Legendary Lord.
- Razordons have now been added to the game after many people were unsatisfied with their inclusion from the previous DLC.
- Dread Saurian was included giving definitive proof that CA will use Forgeworld models for base game races (previous examples were Vampire Coast and Norsca).
- Slanns received two additional lores of magic.
- Still have the surprise of the Old Friends being added in a few weeks.
- Several new territories were added included Albion.
- Nakai and Wulfhart both get narrative based stories.
- More interesting sieges with the inclusion of forts!
- Slanns are confirmed to get a decent rework to make them much stronger.
- No strong evidence of power creep (at least yet).
- Lackluster Empire inclusion of units except for the war wagon.
- Trogolodon will probably never be included.
- Empire has still not received their FLC Legendary Lord.
- Empire archers are rather lackluster.
- Foot lords received no buff or rework so lords like Nakai still get punted like footballs.
- Lustria is now fight club on steroids (not necessarily a bad thing).
- None of the new empire province units can be used in custom battles or multiplayer.
- Older lord packs pale in comparison via lack of story.
- Kroxigor lords leading armies is a disservice to the lore.
My conclusion is that there is so many more positive aspects of this DLC then negative. I strongly recommend to anyone still who has not purchased it to do so. Talk of delaying the DLC or calling CA lazy because some of the units are not perfect seems superficial to me. Did they cut corners? Yes, but when you consider all the other work that went into multiple other units I think it outweighs the negatives by a large margin. Also keep in mind that some of the units were probably held off because they plan to release another Empire lord pack eventually and if what they say is true then a decent portion of this DLCs budget went into the FLC rework for Empire this time around. Please let me know what you think and if the list needs anything added to it. I will edit as more information is released in the coming days as well.