Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Shogun 3 will probably have a lot of mechanics from 3 Kingdoms

Arcani_4_EverArcani_4_Ever Junior MemberPosts: 2,118Registered Users
I like 3 Kingdoms, despite not being interested on it, i bought it and played.

It is by far one of the most polished Total War games, the game runs smooth and its very well made to run in almost every system.

It gives me a lot of Shogun 2 vibes, as that game was also a very smooth launch.

So i've been thinking. When the time comes for Shogun 3. I feel this game will be the standard to follow.

I can definitely see a lot of the mechanics from 3 Kingdoms being ported into Shogun 3. Specially the Romance Version.

Besides, there's also a lot of games similar to Dynasty Warriors set in the Sengoku Period. So i can definitely see it happening.

I don't see Medieval 3 or Empire 2 using a lot of the mechanics from 3 Kingdoms. But Shogun 2 and the potential Troy game, i can see it.

Comments

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,499Registered Users
    No more romance mode please!

Take note, Achilles' only weakness is his heel.
    He can't be defeated unless you touch his heel.
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 757Registered Users
    CA would be really running out of ideas if they ever do Shogun 3, it might be made, in 2035 at the earliest.

S2 for all its polish is very lacking in the character department, it has the popular images of epic samurai and ninjas but no characters. Anyone who actually read Sengoku history would be far more interested in the daimyos and their retainers. This is something every game should learn from 3K, armies having subcommanders should be the norm for future TW.

But no, good lord not the romance mode, skindeep arcade which came at the cost of unit animation, battle variety and immersion.
    The game have dedicated so much resources towards duels and cheesy conversations that the hollowness in other areas really shows.
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Posts: 1,362Registered Users
    I'm more interested in CA making a world war 2 game if they ever get to that theme.
  • ImnuktamImnuktam Posts: 35Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

If you don't like romance mode don't play it.

I think this game is a good model of how a game can have both a boring and tired playmode where your general is nothing special and can just Rng die as the first couple casualties in that unit, and also offer a more dynamic experience where you can control control them and enjoy ROTK the way it was meant to be played.

I don't know anyone who plays this game and doesn't use Romance mode. I really do hope they offer both choices in their games going forward.
  • shattishatti Posts: 270Registered Users

I'm more interested in CA making a world war 2 game if they ever get to that theme.

since the game is evolving too much right now
    i'd say it's possible but it would be soo different, it will be a new game
    the battles should get a new mechanics to avoid boring gameplay
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,499Registered Users
    edited September 6
    Imnuktam said:

jamreal18 said:

I think this game is a good model of how a game can have both a boring and tired playmode where your general is nothing special and can just Rng die as the first couple casualties in that unit, and also offer a more dynamic experience where you can control control them and enjoy ROTK the way it was meant to be played.
    Instead of improving gameplay, some resources are being fund into other department. For example, I want to have good animations for my armies and foe when they clash. The animation department is allocating their time on duels. I want CA to improve collision when two units clash, CA is focusing on AoE of 1 man unit. Instead of your general fighting for his life with bodyguards, he is acting like a SUPERNATURAL HUMAN killing hundreds of people alone. Etc....

But if you really enjoy defeating enemy army with SUPERHUMANS, it's fine. I'm not the only who loves total war anyways...

I don't know anyone who plays this game and doesn't use Romance mode. I really do hope they offer both choices in their games going forward.
    Seriously? How about Medieval 3? Mongol? Alexander?
    Do you want those games to have Romance Mode?
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • markp27markp27 Posts: 1,051Registered Users

I am wondering if CA are following the same idea as Assassin's Creed over world war 1 and world war 2 games. There are too many games out there already based in those era's.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,453Registered Users
    I am not sure if CA is going to add the Romanticized Mode for every Total War game from now on, but the Setting of Troy seems to had been chosen precisely so CA could use those Mechanics once again, and a Total War in a Japanese Setting that have Romanticized Elements would not need to be called Shogun 3.
  • Inco2Inco2 Posts: 51Registered Users
    edited September 6
    jamreal18 said:

Imnuktam said:

jamreal18 said:

Instead of improving gameplay, some resources are being fund into other department. For example, I want to have good animations for my armies and foe when they clash. The animation department is allocating their time on duels. I want CA to improve collision when two units clash, CA is focusing on AoE of 1 man unit. Instead of your general fighting for his life with bodyguards, he is acting like a SUPERNATURAL HUMAN killing hundreds of people alone. Etc....

But if you really enjoy defeating enemy army with SUPERHUMANS, it's fine. I'm not the only who loves total war anyways...

Lol, other than personal preference there's no need to bash romance mode. It's a runaway hit. And if they track playtime data, they'll probably see how well it's been received. I hope they put it in every game. Like its been already said, don't like it, don't play it. Put it in everything!!! Medieval 17! Whoot!

But arguing for its exclusion from future titles because you don't like it is silly at best. Clearly people like the option. Personally it's the only mode I've played (multiple playthroughs) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've played every tw game since Rome except Napoleon. (And like an insane person actually liked Empire so take my feedback with a grain of salt)
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 1,899Registered Users
    Shogun 3? lolz.... that would be a complete waste of resources. If anything... they could just work on Shogun 2 and improve it's graphics and mechanics, similar to how they kinda did with Rome 2.

A game involving the Medieval TW would be far more interesting, rather than Weebistan. There is only so much a few clans within a nation can do... whereas entire nations in Europe, Middle East, North Africa and the Altaic Lands is immensely larger, with far more variety.
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,453Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

Imnuktam said:

jamreal18 said:

Actually Total War: Three Kingdoms has an much better units collision than Total War: Shogun 2, because beside the main characters themselves, no one is fighting in duels, but that said it's true that usually the is not enough budget for everything, so CA focusing on one feature is usually comes at the cost of CA not focusing on other feature.
  • ImnuktamImnuktam Posts: 35Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

Imnuktam said:

jamreal18 said:

The main thing I hated about generals in past titles is I didn't even want to use their unit because they could just randomly die as the first couple casualties. Thus they mostly just sat around not doing anything aside from sicking them on units that had broken. Not to mention they had no real character or unique feel to them like gens in 3k, they were just another cav unit to me only one that I was afraid to use in combat lol.

This romance mode has been a godsend for me and lets me finally enjoy those units in battle. I have loved the duels which were always a staple in the ROTK games and why they fit so well in here. Much the same as the "superhuman" generals which are staying true to the ROTK lore, only less super.

Lets be honest, you can take out most all of them with 1-2 units that are good vs cavalry as long as their morale is good so they wont break. Archers are even easier since most gens have poor to no range defense.

Since I don't like killing known generals and removing them from game I often have to watch my archers to make sure they don't kill them as they charge my line or flee, or move a melee unit that is surrounding and about to kill one.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,323Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Moved to Chat.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • SkyjackSkyjack Posts: 89Registered Users
    edited September 13
    jamreal18 said:

Agreed. There’s already a 100% fantasy game. No need for it in historical settings.