Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What could they do with a Malus DLC?

SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Posts: 1,019Registered Users
edited September 10 in General Discussion
CA recently implied they might be doing a fan favourite for the next DLC.

CA said around when the P&W released that Thanquol won't be coming anytime soon. He may be a possibility by christmas time but many people are also speculating Malus.

With this in mind, what might a Malus DLC look like? His only potential head to head in my mind would be Chaos but CA also stated 'no DLC for DLC anytime soon'...

So, what rivals and unique mechanics could he have? And where would you place him on the map?

Edit: I originally stated that CA said Thanquol wont be coming until the end times but they actually said he wont come anytime soon a while ago now. he could still be on the table, im having a look for anymore statements on him.
Post edited by SeanJeanquoi on

Comments

• angry_rat_loverangry_rat_lover Posts: 419Registered Users
    I think it will be Thanquol, not Malus
    Throt the Unclean and Thanquol, PLEASE CA
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    The Dragon and the Daemon. Is there a better title to explore?

Let's turn Mengil Manflayers into unit, sprinkle it with Devoted of Slaanesh, Medusae and we have an edge to rest our wrists on.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• misunderstoodvampiremisunderstoodvampire Posts: 663Registered Users
    Lots of fun ideas. The 1st would be a daemon possession mechanic. Change the model and give rampage or something. Nakai has a different campaign than any other Lizardmen. Malus will also. He will have a story campaign about gathering relics and reclaiming Hag Graef. He can have the relics mechanic be similar to the books of Nagash mechanic. That’s just off the top of my head
  • SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Posts: 1,019Registered Users
    @Maedrethnir

y'know Maedrethnir sometimes you're supremacist ramblings start to make sense, that sounds like some good Sh*t :p
  • xXF1aKOXxxXF1aKOXx Posts: 639Registered Users

Let's turn Mengil Manflayers into unit, sprinkle it with Devoted of Slaanesh, Medusae and we have an edge to rest our wrists on.

You do anything for Imrik :smiley: lol
  • ArsenicArsenic Posts: 4,346Registered Users

Prince and the Scion?

Anyway, Malus..his whole storyline was about roving the world collecting artefacts to stop this, remove that, empower something else, so although it's becoming rather overused, I'd say he's a prime candidate for a horde.

"Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • BiesBies Junior Member Posts: 1,636Registered Users
    exploring the map for artefacts

rework of slave mechanic, giving Malus some slave soldiers

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

@Arsenic

I don't know about that, i see the artifacts working like quest objectives similar to Luther Harkon's campaign (luther is part horde but hes one of the most anchored V Coast lords). at the end of the quest you could gain the ability to turn malus into the Djinn that controls him in his sleep.
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 4,001Registered Users
    edited September 10
    Your link is missing "times" bit. He just says "In the end there..." Although it'll be 8 months since then.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
    @Crossil

Right you are, im having a look to see if theyve mentioned it elsewhere.
  • KelefaneKelefane Posts: 1,117Registered Users

I think it will be Thanquol, not Malus

Or both.
  • VonhellstingVonhellsting Posts: 537Registered Users
    I could see them doing a Malus Darkblade , Valkia lord pack. Thematically it would work well with her being a demon and him being possessed by a demon. Plus they could add those new fortresses wall battles they've been adding. Lore wise Naggaroth really should have the watch towers to keep chaos at bay anyways so it would fit together nicely.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,365Registered Users
    He'd obviously get a mechanic that explores his relationship to his daemonically possessed sword. If that's explored well enough, that's all he really needs himself. Units, etc. is of course something else.
  • _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Posts: 731Registered Users
    I thought with G&F coming with H&B and demons far away with game 3 it would be Thanquol we see before Malus.

Fan fovourite is wide opened. Whats about fan fovourites from the dawis? My poll give Malakai the lead, closely followed by Ironbrew.

And cant CA even mean the FLC character as the fan favourite?
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,199Registered Users

Slave soldiers to sacrifice would indeed be a good start with Malus.

The already mentioned artifact hunt of course will also work fine.

Then there is still the topic about his possession. If it would be possible that he could "change" during a battle, that could open some new ways.

After he became Drachau of Hag Graef, he was Malekiths best general in invading Ulthuan. And during that time he plotted to increase his fame to maybe overthrow the Witchking some day. I would assume there could be a story build around that.

After all, Malus stories are always about treachery. Sometimes even on a scale that even other Druchii find it troublesome.

-----Red Dox
  • ArsenicArsenic Posts: 4,346Registered Users
    _Mad_D0c_ said:

Fan fovourite is wide opened. Whats about fan fovourites from the dawis? My poll give Malakai the lead, closely followed by Ironbrew.

And cant CA even mean the FLC character as the fan favourite?

To be honest, when the phrase "big fan favourite" is used, I take that to mean a character who is a fan favourite from the Warhammer world in general. An iconic character, if you will. The most iconic Dwarf who was not already in-game would have been Gotrek and we're getting him soon.

Really the only two names left who fit that description are Darkblade and Thanquol.

You could be right about said fan favourite being the FLC, but if it's Thanquol or Malus, neither would be done proper justice being shoehorned in The Vortex race, they're two narrative driven characters who need their own storylines.

"Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
    About Malus gameplay I created a thread some month ago:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/236166/how-we-could-play-malus-darkblade

His goal should be to get rid of Tz' arkan. Because before his end times story, there is no solution and in the end times ending is bad. Let Malus heard of a rite and several special ingredients to get rid of the demon in a new CA storyline. Combine quests and a unique campaign goal to let him be playable in the game 3 main and ME2 campaign.
    It could be a kind of treasure hunt for the ingredients and artifacts. For example an old one artifact from the dragon isles, a mighty weapon forged by chaos dwarves, a forgotten artifact in the chaos wastes, an eaten HE including magical ring from an ogre chieftain and a special traded stuff from Cathay.

Now how his possession could be ingame:

A : Give him a barometer like the chivalry one to let him earn points for doing cruelty, quests and other stuff strengthening Tz'arkan within, whithout let him free. Then Malus could consume those collected points to strengthen him in battle. Give him the choice between several buffs of increased speed, damage, resistence. Let it be poweeful but balanced so he couldnt use it every battle.

A bonus easteregg mechanic combined with that could be:
    If those barometer fall below 0, Tz' arkan breaks free and Malus lost the campaign but we could play a little fun campaign as a Tz' arkan demon horde.

Another playstyle could be to control Tz' arkan with magic and some deal to unleash him in battle but imprison him again after.

I would prefer first one, but second one is more visually, so maybe better for the profit.

Both variants should implement Tz' arkan as a "voice in your head" let him interrupt the narrator and comment your and enemiy actions. He also could give you suizid quests to get rid of Malus.
  • steph74steph74 Junior Member Posts: 902Registered Users
    What could they do with Malus DLC?

A Bonus DLC!!
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Posts: 678Registered Users

He'd obviously get a mechanic that explores his relationship to his daemonically possessed sword. If that's explored well enough, that's all he really needs himself. Units, etc. is of course something else.

His sword is not demonically possessed, Malus himself is. The sword is blessed by Khaine, not as much as the godslayer but still an important weapon to them, he took it from beneath Har Ganeth in the books.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    edited September 10

@Maedrethnir

y'know Maedrethnir sometimes you're supremacist ramblings start to make sense, that sounds like some good Sh*t :p

I know, the best one! Hail Prince Imrik!
    xXF1aKOXx said:

You do anything for Imrik :smiley: lol
    As wise Zod once said (...)And every action I take, no matter how violent or how cruel, is for the greater good of my people.(...)
    Arsenic said:

Prince and the Scion?

Anyway, Malus..his whole storyline was about roving the world collecting artefacts to stop this, remove that, empower something else, so although it's becoming rather overused, I'd say he's a prime candidate for a horde.

No disagreement from me. I will take him in whatever form as long as he will come alongside my Prince!
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 2,330Registered Users
    I think a lot depends on two questions.

One: Who's he up against?

Two: Do you want his mechanics to reflect him uniquely, or do you want them to reflect an aspect of the Dark Elves?

To see what I mean by this, consider The Hunter and the Beast. CA chose the pairing because it had a strong central them: the world's greatest hunter pursuing one of the greatest beasts of the New World. However, not all of the mechanics tie in specifically to that theme.

Some do, as is the case with Wulfhart's quests to find his hunters, as well as Nakai's quests to eliminate those hunters and confront Wulfhart. But Nakai's horde mechanics have nothing to do with Wulfhart, they reflect Nakai specifically. Likewise the Emperor's Mandate mechanics could be applied to any colonist character in Lustria, they have nothing specific to do with Wulfhart or Nakai.

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 15,415Registered Users
    edited September 10
    It'd look pretty generic.

His main rival is himself (edgy). He buffs cav but that's about it. He could come with anything though.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
    While I want a presentation of Tz'arkan and his archenemy be Chaos and BM, I still prefer him for game 3.

Still have the feeling if it is one of tgese two, Thanquol makes the race. We even get G&F all befire the LP, both could be appear as his atchenemies. Defeating them is like Nakais goal to defeat the hunters.

His main rival is himself (edgy). He buffs cav but that's about it. He could come with anything though.

I'm still suspicious the next Dark Elf character will be a Ghorst or Nakai situation.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 15,415Registered Users

I'm still suspicious the next Dark Elf character will be a Ghorst or Nakai situation.
    The obvious choice is Rakarth, though that could be the case as well.

If they want to do mr generic it's game 3 where he fits best.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
    @Draculasaurus

Nakai isn't really comparable to Ghorst, you'd have been better to say "Ghorst or Tretch"

Ghorst and Tretch are both kind of footnotes and no one was asking for them...like, no one!

The main reason they were an issue is that we got them before alot of popular and more justified inclusions.

Nakai was a heavily requested character, he was often the second or 1st most requested character and while his lore is lacking, as we can see: there was an abundance of things to work with.

Furthermore: Nakai did not come instead of a whole host of more popular and justified characters. All the LM have left is Tetto'Ekko and Oxyotl (who is actually quite a divisive character) and then some very minor ones like Huinzi-inxi.
    edited September 10

The obvious choice is Rakarth, though that could be the case as well.

If they want to do mr generic it's game 3 where he fits best.
    My guess? Anethra Hellbane or some similar Dark Elf character focused on court intrigue, with a new mechanic that is a sort of reverse of High Elf Influence, focused on backstabbing, poisoning, and plotting within dark elf society. They could use another pure spellcaster character anyway.
    @Draculasaurus

@Vanilla_Gorilla

Tretch, Ghorst and Cylostra only came about due to unique problematic circumstances.

There were no other real choices for the vampire coast; The silver princess could have worked but CA seemed to obviously want to creat their own thing since they were given the chance. This is not an issue that will come about often and they've even said as much in a recent post.

Tretch was implemented because he was easy. Skaven needed a new start and there was a lull in the Dev cycle.

Ghorst was only implemented because it was their first DLC and they were still learning the ropes in terms of WH stuff.

I highly doubt this will be a recurring problem. If they implement a minor character again it will no doubt be to complement a certain theme. If they make one up it will no doubt be due to a new faction being created.

CA has stated that this is a 10 year project for them and that they plan on implementing everything they possibly can eventually. The game and it's DLC have sold like gangbusters and the company is now one of the most successful gaming companies in the UK.

It's likely a matter of "when" and not "if" at this point. They would be mental not to include someone like thanquol or malus eventually.

@Draculasaurus

@Vanilla_Gorilla

Tretch, Ghorst and Cylostra only came about due to unique problematic circumstances.

There were no other real choices for the vampire coast; The silver princess could have worked but CA seemed to obviously want to creat their own thing since they were given the chance. This is not an issue that will come about often and they've even said as much in a recent post.

Tretch was implemented because he was easy. Skaven needed a new start and there was a lull in the Dev cycle.

Ghorst was only implemented because it was their first DLC and they were still learning the ropes in terms of WH stuff.

I highly doubt this will be a recurring problem. If they implement a minor character again it will no doubt be to complement a certain theme. If they make one up it will no doubt be due to a new faction being created.

CA has stated that this is a 10 year project for them and that they plan on implementing everything they possibly can eventually. The game and it's DLC have sold like gangbusters and the company is now one of the most successful gaming companies in the UK.

It's likely a matter of "when" and not "if" at this point. They would be mental not to include someone like thanquol or malus eventually.

I mentioned Anethra just because she's in the 7th Edition Dark Elf army book, along with a ton of stuff about her extended family. Lot of stuff to draw on there.

Malus may make it in eventually, but I reeeeeaaaally think he's FLC material more than DLC.