Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Question about PS1 [Playstation 1] version of Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat. How to zoom in?

NoobLearninGameNoobLearninGame Posts: 4Registered Users
I can zoom out by holding the "eye" button with L & R, but can't seem to find any combination of buttons that zooms in.

Can't seem to find a copy of the instruction manual online, my only option if someone can't provide this info (if I must have the answer) is to buy the game on eBay so I can read how to zoom back in after zooming out. So far I've found no mention of how to zoom in on the PS1 version of the game. The PC version is 2D instead of 3D and apparently crashes about halfway through the game (not sure if still true).

My other option is to not zoom out, because the game slows down a lot when zoomed out (hardware limitations), but it would be nice to not have to make that compromise (the slowdown could be advantageous, giving you more time to give orders, but suck when you don't want it slow, or want to see things closer; can be hard to hunt for magic items [located on a subtle sparkle, seen every 3 seconds or so on different battlefields] zoomed out too).

There's only this forum and one other where it seems like it might be reasonable to request this. I will wait for replies here before I post the same topic on the other forum.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• oliverpmasonoliverpmason Posts: 862Registered Users
    I can't remember but I have to say I loved that game. I can remember that there is definitely a way to zoom in, not that that helps you.

Is it as hard as I remember with constantly having to replay battles to get acceptable casualties?
  • steph74steph74 Junior Member Posts: 902Registered Users
    Maybe if you ask in a forum dedicated to PS1 Shadow of the Horned Rat you have better chance to get an answer than in a forum for a completly different game?
  • NoobLearninGameNoobLearninGame Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited September 11
    steph74 said:

Maybe if you ask in a forum dedicated to PS1 Shadow of the Horned Rat you have better chance to get an answer than in a forum for a completly different game?

I was searching for any forum topics with this game in the title on my search engine, and this forum came up in the results: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/155852/shadow-of-the-horned-rat

I think this other one is the best I could find, less activity there but possible they'd know. Didn't want to create the same topic twice if I can help it, and thought I might get an answer faster here: http://forum.dark-omen.org/tactical-wargaming-and-other-warhammer-games/shadow-of-the-horned-rat-t121.15.html

I can't remember but I have to say I loved that game. I can remember that there is definitely a way to zoom in, not that that helps you.

Is it as hard as I remember with constantly having to replay battles to get acceptable casualties?

Yes the game is very punishing, and will often require you go back several battles to an old save (if you have one, otherwise prepare to restart the game), just to make sure you don't suffer the same losses that made the game impossible for you later on.
    Post edited by NoobLearninGame on
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,427Registered Users
    First off you "pause" and give orders by using select (iirc).

So enter the map with select chose your unit, chose enemy unit use leave map chose attack command, back into map with select and chose new. This is how you command alot of troops fast and effective.

I cant remember the zoom but i think it was top buttons L and R and circle. It cant be hard if you found zoom out to find zoom in.
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.

I cant remember the zoom but i think it was top buttons L and R and circle. It cant be hard if you found zoom out to find zoom in.

I've tried every combination of buttons I can think of to zoom in, including things like L1 + L2, R1 + L2, and the face buttons + R1 or L1, Select + R1, no dice. Zooming out was easy to figure out through experimentation, but zooming in eludes me.

Maybe I should try experimenting some more.. and perhaps writing down what I have & haven't tried.. the list for what I haven't tried seems like it would be short at this point.

Easy enough to find the instructions for the PC version's zoom feature [I have the .pdf I downloaded from some website].. but that version is not what I will play for reasons mentioned in the first post.
  • NinjasoupNinjasoup Junior Member Posts: 115Registered Users
    edited September 11
    Turns out I had to change DirectInput to Xinput. The buttons seem to do the same thing [R2/L2] in DirectInput mode individually, but when held together they did nothing. Xinput resolves this issue, and that's why it didn't work when I tried it before when experimenting (probably the first thing I tried.. and several times after that), & does work now. It was helpful to have confirmation with the instructions above.

Whelp, thank you. Saving that image for further use.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,872Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Moved to Off Topic as it's not related to TW and closed as the OP's question has been answered.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
This discussion has been closed.