Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Has anyone actually managed to get far (marcus) on VH or legendary?

Firkraag888Firkraag888 Posts: 1,428Registered Users
The extra damage buffs the AI gets as hostility increases are really really punishing.

I cant beat the AI on very hard difficulty. Way to hard.

Just there simple stacks of low tier skink units are a serious challenge.

Has anyone managed to actually get anywhere playjng on the harder difficultys?

I would like to see CA nerf this it needs balancing big time imo

Comments

  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Posts: 2,239Registered Users
    Im playing Tehehauin von very hard/very hard down there its absolute hell, but still easier than skarsnik pre empire update.
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 912Registered Users
    The hardest campaigns that I did were tehenhauin and lokhir fellheart both on legendary. As markus I was basically screwed at turn 15. I think the key is to choose the empire knights as reinforcements. I might try again tonight.

    Yeah, skinks are definitely very strong. I also have no clue about how to keep public order in check. I don't have the money to afford 2 full stacks. I might try to get all the hunters as soon as possible, because I've heard that they cost no upkeep at all.
  • Firkraag888Firkraag888 Posts: 1,428Registered Users

    Im playing Tehehauin von very hard/very hard down there its absolute hell, but still easier than skarsnik pre empire update.

    Im 90% certain that the marcus campaign in mortal empires on VH is maybe not possible.

    I think CA havent tested in properly yet maybe. They need to reduce the damage bonus the AI gets

  • WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Posts: 602Registered Users
    I've been trying, I play the game almost exclusively on VH but this campaign I'm having some trouble with.

    Nakai dies the first turns regardless though, the real threat for Markus is the Savage Orcs.
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 912Registered Users

    I've been trying, I play the game almost exclusively on VH but this campaign I'm having some trouble with.

    Nakai dies the first turns regardless though, the real threat for Markus is the Savage Orcs.

    Yeah, I think savage orcs are unbeatable for markus. They're too many and are far more powerful than the state troops.
  • ReeksReeks Posts: 2,067Registered Users
    No doing Nakai on Legendary and that´s a blast

    Btw it´s a good thing if the game is significantly harder, that will cater to the minority that was fed up with legendary being too easy, if it´s too hard for you dial it down on hard, there is no shame in that
  • Firkraag888Firkraag888 Posts: 1,428Registered Users
    Reeks said:

    No doing Nakai on Legendary and that´s a blast

    Btw it´s a good thing if the game is significantly harder, that will cater to the minority that was fed up with legendary being too easy, if it´s too hard for you dial it down on hard, there is no shame in that

    Im talking about marcus campaign noy nakai

  • ReeksReeks Posts: 2,067Registered Users

    Reeks said:

    No doing Nakai on Legendary and that´s a blast

    Btw it´s a good thing if the game is significantly harder, that will cater to the minority that was fed up with legendary being too easy, if it´s too hard for you dial it down on hard, there is no shame in that

    Im talking about marcus campaign noy nakai

    And i´m talking about it´s good that it´s harder to play the higher difficulties compared to pre-patch as quite a few legendary players complained that it was too easy, again there is no shame in having to lower the difficulty level.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 7,177Registered Users
    Doing Legendary/Very Hard. It’s been a good ride. I don’t know which turn it is? Around 70 I think. My main problem has been the lack of money and the public order. I habe recruited a Lord and three heroes with the Regal trait and have loads of +PO followers on top of the four legendary heroes themselves.

    It hasn’t been THAT hard until I figured out what to do. Slow ald steady wins the race.

    I lost the Blood Swamps the Awakening and another settlement once each. The awakening battle was a good un. The mortar killed over 1000 rats. If I had just had another mortar on a lord in the garrison I wouldn’t have lost but of course I demolished the siege equipment building and thought Skryre were done for and headed elsewhere and couldn’t make it back in time.

    I only own three provinces. The starting one the one between that and the Vampire Coast and then finally the Vampire Coast as well.

    The loss of the Awakening has set me back a good few turns as it became a level 1 settlement instead of the level 3 it was. But at least I no longer have money issues and it’s only a matter of time before I have assembled the capacity to recruit the good stuff without asking daddy for it.

    Have one and a half stack. Wulfhart’s is mainly just Halberdiers and Huntsmen currently and all of the legendary heroes who are now quite the capable lot boosting especially the Huntsmen to crazy levels of damage. I think I saw 142 missile damage with Kalara in their midst.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 912Registered Users
    @RikRiorik Are you playing vortex or Mortal Empires? How did you deal with the savage orcs early on? Should I build walls at port reaver? What is, in your opinion, the best unit supply to choose?
  • TheWolfLordTheWolfLord Posts: 69Registered Users
    I’ve restarted the Markus campaign several times on very hard as I take so many casualties in the first battles I have always struggled to recover. Due to low funds, low recovery rate and low tier poor troops I can’t deal with all the stacks of enemies. If I’m still fighting Tlaxtlan and have declared war on VC Mutineers (to unlock hero) then the Blue Vipers are always brought in by the Lizards or the Vamps. The 3 are too hard to taken on at once.

    My last playthrough I tried something different at the start and it’s working very well so far.

    Instead of being aggressive and attacking the lizard army on the first turn I fall back and go into ambush near my town. I also recruit another lord, use this lord to recruit units and leave him outside the town.

    The lizards attack the town and spring the ambush. The garrison, my army and the new huntsman general are more than enough to beat the army with barely any casualties.

    I then transfer the new units in Wulfhart army and finish the Lizardmen army. I then make sure I recruit in turn 2 before attacking Chotec on turn 3.

    I don’t declare war on the Vampire Coast mutineers until I’ve completely finished off Tlaxtlan so I can move quickly to take out the vamps and try to avoid the Blue Vipers joining.

    I also use the huntsman general to bait all enemy into an ambush for Wulfhart. He’s also got some very good abilities, the oil flask weakens tough enemies so I can deal with them very quickly and his arrow of asqky does good explosive damage and helps against blobs or saurus.

    I chose the cannon and outriders (with grenades) as I wanted a way to quickly take walled towns and figured out of all the options being offered a cannon was the one that would take Markus the longest to get himself so it gave me the best start. The outriders can get behind the enemy and melt blobs of enemies once they are stuck in combat.

    It’s a very hard campaign but it is doable, once you get the hero’s levelled up and get some better units I’ve heard you can steamroll.
  • BereaverBereaver Posts: 448Registered Users
    edited September 13
    I've completed Markus Legendary campaign using only ranged. I've spammed Archers and took only War Wagons reinforcements, then I replaced archers with Huntsmen and normal War Wagons with Steam Tabks. My strategy was using heroes as a frontline and letting Mortars and Archers turn everything into a pincushion. Actually, after first 20 turns campaign became really easy! I've spent first ~15 turns at my starting province farming rebellions and killing everyone coming with ambush stance, after that I got walls in both settlements and began moving out. I've destroyed factions in following order: Vampire Coast Mutineers, Xlanhuaptec, Blue Vipers, Hexoatl, Skeggi, New World Colonies, Itza. Harkon is still alive in my campaign.

    Markus is meant to play as ranged faction so that you do not have to care about enemy big weapon strength, frontline is useless.

    Campaign does not need nerf, you should adapt.
  • JadawinKhanidiJadawinKhanidi Posts: 1,001Registered Users
    I haven't played yet, but if it turns out that I can't beat the campaign on VH or Legendary, I'd consider that a very good thing. Demanding that difficulty be nerfed because you can't beat the game on the highest level is ludicrous. There should always be a level in a game that you can't beat, or beat only sometimes and with the absolute best effort.

    As long as most players can beat a game or campaign on its lowest difficulty level, it's not too hard.
  • ReeksReeks Posts: 2,067Registered Users

    I haven't played yet, but if it turns out that I can't beat the campaign on VH or Legendary, I'd consider that a very good thing. Demanding that difficulty be nerfed because you can't beat the game on the highest level is ludicrous. There should always be a level in a game that you can't beat, or beat only sometimes and with the absolute best effort.

    As long as most players can beat a game or campaign on its lowest difficulty level, it's not too hard.

    But.......Bruised ego bro......Bruised ego is hard!
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 7,177Registered Users

    @RikRiorik Are you playing vortex or Mortal Empires? How did you deal with the savage orcs early on? Should I build walls at port reaver? What is, in your opinion, the best unit supply to choose?

    Vortex. I didn’t have to deal with them. They only declared war one me once I was nearing the end of my war against the Vampire Coast. After that I just darted back with Markus and weathered the storm for a while (which is why I lost the Awakening and another settlement). Once a few of their armies were spent they started suffering from their numerous enemies taking their settlements and couldn’t muster bringing any more armies to bear on me and I went back to my business.

    I’ve mainly just chosen either Huntsmen or Halberdiers/Greatswords but also one with a Cannon in it. Because my frontline would lose a unit here and there and I couldn’t stop to recruit new units because Wulfhart was needed somewhere else.

    I build walls everywhere, everytime, all the time. Old habit and I hate getting surprised somewhere and losing turns upon turns of gold and progress. But Port Reaver? What are you doing up there?

    The mortar+huntsmen with heroes tanking does seem like a good option too. Single entities to tank and everyone around them gets destroyed.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • HoneyBunHoneyBun Senior Member Posts: 4,518Registered Users
    edited September 13
    Bereaver said:

    I've completed Markus Legendary campaign using only ranged. I've spammed Archers and took only War Wagons reinforcements, then I replaced archers with Huntsmen and normal War Wagons with Steam Tabks. My strategy was using heroes as a frontline and letting Mortars and Archers turn everything into a pincushion. Actually, after first 20 turns campaign became really easy! I've spent first ~15 turns at my starting province farming rebellions and killing everyone coming with ambush stance, after that I got walls in both settlements and began moving out. I've destroyed factions in following order: Vampire Coast Mutineers, Xlanhuaptec, Blue Vipers, Hexoatl, Skeggi, New World Colonies, Itza. Harkon is still alive in my campaign.

    Markus is meant to play as ranged faction so that you do not have to care about enemy big weapon strength, frontline is useless.

    Campaign does not need nerf, you should adapt.

    This.

    (although I am not good enough to play on legendary, so play v hard - Vortex).

    You must use ranged, to minimise loses.

    But I also think you need to be extremely strategic. I didn't expand at all locally and left Tlaxcan alive (they counter Blue Vipers well - with whom I have a NA). I went instead north and took the Isthmas of Lustria very slowly and by ambush/retreat.

    By turn 37, I have a steamtank called Milldred who is the army's MVP and a gold mine in Hexoatl that means I'm happy as Larry.

    After that I expended in to 'Mexico'. It is a far more defensive position and I have triggered the Children of the Old Ones a few times, but they spawn for your capital, so the distance helps. It was razed once, but I just resettle and use heros to bring them down to a manageable level.

    They are making an FPS. Who knew a company could have a mid-life crisis ...

  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 912Registered Users
    @RikRiorik maybe I was confused. I referred to Markus' starting settlement. I thought it was port reaver, didn't double check, sorry.
  • HoneyBunHoneyBun Senior Member Posts: 4,518Registered Users
    edited September 13
    HoneyBun said:

    Bereaver said:

    I've completed Markus Legendary campaign using only ranged. I've spammed Archers and took only War Wagons reinforcements, then I replaced archers with Huntsmen and normal War Wagons with Steam Tabks. My strategy was using heroes as a frontline and letting Mortars and Archers turn everything into a pincushion. Actually, after first 20 turns campaign became really easy! I've spent first ~15 turns at my starting province farming rebellions and killing everyone coming with ambush stance, after that I got walls in both settlements and began moving out. I've destroyed factions in following order: Vampire Coast Mutineers, Xlanhuaptec, Blue Vipers, Hexoatl, Skeggi, New World Colonies, Itza. Harkon is still alive in my campaign.

    Markus is meant to play as ranged faction so that you do not have to care about enemy big weapon strength, frontline is useless.

    Campaign does not need nerf, you should adapt.

    This.

    (although I am not good enough to play on legendary, so play v hard - Vortex).

    You must use ranged, to minimise loses.

    But I also think you need to be extremely strategic. I didn't expand at all locally and left Tlaxcan alive (they counter Blue Vipers well - with whom I have a NA). I went instead north and took the Isthmas of Lustria very slowly and by ambush/retreat.

    By turn 37, I have a steamtank called Milldred who is the army's MVP and a gold mine in Hexoatl that means I'm happy as Larry.

    After that I expended in to 'Mexico'. It is a far more defensive position and I have triggered the Children of the Old Ones a few times, but they spawn for your capital, so the distance helps. It was razed once, but I just resettle and use heros to bring them down to a manageable level.
    EDIT - It actually really reminds me of how I played Shadow of the Horned Rat :) ... 25 years ago

    They are making an FPS. Who knew a company could have a mid-life crisis ...

  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 7,177Registered Users
    @Aram_thehead . I don’t know what those settlements are called. I’ve renamned them Neu Flensburg and Fort Holger.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • DatHomieSilverSurferDatHomieSilverSurfer Posts: 150Registered Users
    Dear god I pray that no one at Creative Assembly nerfs the difficulty on Markus's campaign. I'm having a blast and actually being forced to think about my army composition and economic structure for once
  • AkiAmazAkiAmaz Posts: 247Registered Users
    Honestly. Not trying to get under anyone's skin, but how many threads about CA need to sort out the difficulty at higher levels, then the Huntsmarshal comes out and the same people say it is too hard.

    Normal is fun, you have to think, and you don't steamroll. If VH is too hard, lower the difficulty.

    It is a cracking campaign. It was said in an earlier post, take it steadily (something I need to do).

    Interestingly on Normal, the LM 'very hostile' army is low tier with a couple of saurus spears, a lot of RCS and some terradons with around a half dozen skink cohorts; is it beafier on higher levels?
  • FonRestorffFonRestorff Posts: 88Registered Users
    AkiAmaz said:

    Honestly. Not trying to get under anyone's skin, but how many threads about CA need to sort out the difficulty at higher levels, then the Huntsmarshal comes out and the same people say it is too hard.

    Normal is fun, you have to think, and you don't steamroll. If VH is too hard, lower the difficulty.

    It is a cracking campaign. It was said in an earlier post, take it steadily (something I need to do).

    Interestingly on Normal, the LM 'very hostile' army is low tier with a couple of saurus spears, a lot of RCS and some terradons with around a half dozen skink cohorts; is it beafier on higher levels?

    Dread saurians, krox, engine of the gods etc. I had an insane battle where I had to put together an army hapharzardly from the reinforcements I had left and then attack with the settlement as support. I had carnosaurs and mr dread chasing me around the map while I tried to stay alive until reinforcements arrived. The fact that they are all unbreakable makes it a real challenge.

    In the end I had 17 handgunners left on the field when I put down the last kroxigor.

    Played the campaign on vh/vh and loved every minute of it. A lot of meaningful battles.
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 912Registered Users
    Restarted the campaign on legendary today after failing yesterday. I chose the empire knights over the infantry supply. So far the empire knights have proven to be excellent skink killers, unlike the infantry. Campaign is going better than yesterday. I'll probably fail tomorrow again anyway.
  • AkiAmazAkiAmaz Posts: 247Registered Users

    AkiAmaz said:

    Honestly. Not trying to get under anyone's skin, but how many threads about CA need to sort out the difficulty at higher levels, then the Huntsmarshal comes out and the same people say it is too hard.

    Normal is fun, you have to think, and you don't steamroll. If VH is too hard, lower the difficulty.

    It is a cracking campaign. It was said in an earlier post, take it steadily (something I need to do).

    Interestingly on Normal, the LM 'very hostile' army is low tier with a couple of saurus spears, a lot of RCS and some terradons with around a half dozen skink cohorts; is it beafier on higher levels?

    Dread saurians, krox, engine of the gods etc. I had an insane battle where I had to put together an army hapharzardly from the reinforcements I had left and then attack with the settlement as support. I had carnosaurs and mr dread chasing me around the map while I tried to stay alive until reinforcements arrived. The fact that they are all unbreakable makes it a real challenge.

    In the end I had 17 handgunners left on the field when I put down the last kroxigor.

    Played the campaign on vh/vh and loved every minute of it. A lot of meaningful battles.
    Ouch, that IS a beast of an army. Well done for surviving. Yep, I'm happy on Normal.
  • RheingoldRheingold Posts: 210Registered Users
    On hard difficulty it's still tough, one of the toughest ME campaign starts I've played. Way worse than Angrund. No idea how you guys manage on VH/legendary.
    That said it's absolutely awesome. Love the design and gameplay.

    Couple of things. Restarted the first campaign, I wasn't going to lose, but it was a mess, had no plan, no strategy. 2nd start much better.
    The Sentinels area is a really good spot. One of the few places which is completely defensible in Lustria. Makes a good base.
    Don't move to early though. Get rid of Tlanxa first. Get a second cheap army with archers not huntsman.
    Get rid of Nakai early.
    Leave the Vamps alive until last, they keep everyone else occupied.
    Play the Skaven/lizards off each other.
    The ai damage bonus is insane though. And the lizard armies that spawn have unbreakable which is a real pain.
    Campaign feels great though, CA really nailed the small colony in a big bad world feeling.
    It's around turn 110 or so, first chaos invasion has launched, and I have pretty much the entire bottom half of lustrai. Skrolk has one settlement left and no army. Vamps have awakening. And Mazda is till left up north.
    Just confederated with Ghengis Karl.
    Who was attempting to take over the entire old world. Ridiculous number of settlements but very few provinces, and frankly with 2 armies there, no way of defending them.
    So much for great statesman....
    All in all one of the best campaigns I've played.
Sign In or Register to comment.