Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Whats the point of Siege equipment? Especially the battering ram

Greasus_GoldtoothGreasus_Goldtooth Posts: 112Registered Users
First of all now im talking in the siege battle, not as a prerequisite for starting the siege (if you dont have artillery, siege attacker and monsters in your army.

Okay this might seem like a obvius anwser but i really dont get the point, lets take the battering ram first: The ram is so slow mowing you can litteraly take any unit (that can break down gates eg not cav) and get them to the gate and destroy the gate before the ram gets even close. Then we have siege towers, now i get that they allow you to get troops onto the walls a bit faster, but does it give any bonus to your units other then a bit faster deployment on the walls compared to ladders?

Comments

• ArsenicArsenic Posts: 4,714Registered Users

First of all now im talking in the siege battle, not as a prerequisite for starting the siege (if you dont have artillery, siege attacker and monsters in your army.

Okay this might seem like a obvius anwser but i really dont get the point, lets take the battering ram first: The ram is so slow mowing you can litteraly take any unit (that can break down gates eg not cav) and get them to the gate and destroy the gate before the ram gets even close. Then we have siege towers, now i get that they allow you to get troops onto the walls a bit faster, but does it give any bonus to your units other then a bit faster deployment on the walls compared to ladders?

Units take a vigour hit if they climb up ladders, I believe.

Dead right about the battering ram though, pointless thing.
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 901Registered Users
    battering rams are pointless, I agree. Siege towers are very useful, they allow your units to get to the wall unscathed, if the siege tower doesn't get destroyed.
  • CountTalabeclandCountTalabecland Posts: 223Registered Users
    Any faction with artillery is better served by corner camping and just blowing up the towers and walls. Cannons especially, can hit pretty much the entire wall with only one tower being able to shoot your army.

If you don’t have artillery, just rush the AI with a decently wide spread and you should be able to flank and win. Only downside is towers will cause you to take around 200-400 casualties because CA loves their machine gun towers of doom.
  • FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Posts: 1,078Registered Users
    If gatehouses had murder holes for boiling oil, rams would serve a protective benefit. As it is now, everybody can break a gate down for very little casualties.
  • JadawinKhanidiJadawinKhanidi Posts: 956Registered Users
    Rams are useless.

Regular, non-monstrous units should just be completely unable to attack walls or gates. If a soldier attacks a gate with a sword, nothing will happen except he'll ruin his weapon and be unable to fight any opponents. I believe regular units were even unable to attack gates once, but this changed at some point?
  • amon_chakaiamon_chakai Posts: 162Registered Users
    FrostPaw said:

If gatehouses had murder holes for boiling oil, rams would serve a protective benefit. As it is now, everybody can break a gate down for very little casualties.

Good point....completely forgot about that. How could they not include at least burning oil? We´ve had that since Medieval.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Posts: 1,437Registered Users
    Siege equipments are only for show. The real heroes are ass-ladders.
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 901Registered Users
    I think this game needs to get rid of the ladders and allow us to build ladders as very quick siege equipment (like 10 ladders in a turn). Or, make them instantenous but show that the units are holding them at the beginning of the battle lol.
  • amon_chakaiamon_chakai Posts: 162Registered Users

I think this game needs to get rid of the ladders and allow us to build ladders as very quick siege equipment (like 10 ladders in a turn). Or, make them instantenous but show that the units are holding them at the beginning of the battle lol.

Also gate strength, especially for major cities, needs to be increased dramatically.
    I've had chaos warhounds break down gates by themselves in a short time. Ridiculous!
  • GwydionGwydion Senior Member Posts: 2,161Registered Users
    just made a thread about how i like the new fort layouts. in that thread, i say how the fight for the walls should be more epic as well, which SFO did probably on accident already by making the gates INCREDIBLY harder to kill from anything EXCEPT a battering ram. it makes the fight for the walls much more epic, also, sieges towers keep your troops not only safe but full vigor as well, climbing a ladder drops them to very tired instantly.
    PLEASE CA!!! Chaos Warriors need a faction that is not horde only by the time the trilogy is finished! We beg of you!

Just Realized this topic has been viewed more, the topic of " Limiting Race Expansion/ Colonization Expansion" alone than more than half of the stickied things at the top of the forum... I hope you are too CA and I mean that in a positive way from a huge fan!

Please improve sieges! Add racial flavor and ACTUALLY make them "deeper rather than wide" copy and paste with different art needs to go!
  • dreagondreagon Senior Member Posts: 1,927Registered Users
    Battering rams are useless. Siege towers allow your troops to reach the walls at full strength and they also aren't very tired once they start fighting.
    "The dog is a peasant and the cat is a gentleman." H.P. Lovecraft
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 7,244Registered Users
    It's pretty clear that the siege designers have been on vacation since Medieval 2 and we've been stuck with interns who are getting gypped out of their actual employee status ever since.
  • OrderOfTheWhiteWolfOrderOfTheWhiteWolf Posts: 84Registered Users
    edited September 13
    I never even bothered with battering rams. They move so slow and provide what seems like no added cover against towers and missile units on the wall that most of the unit is dead before finally reaching the gate.

I’ve had better results just outright charging the gates.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 7,244Registered Users
    A unit of trolls or similar will pop a gate like they are opening a can of beer.