Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Feeling out the new Empire Campaign

eomateomat Junior MemberPosts: 896Registered Users
As a long time Empire player and them being my favourite faction I’m absolutely overjoyed with the new units and mechanics. While I would still love to see Ulric units and Characters, Celestial Hurricanum’s, Elspeth von Draken, Halflings and others show up at some point I am relishing in my 300th Karl Franz playthrough. (Perhaps a little exaggerated but the passion is there). I am finding some things strange.

I am no longer able to create Defensive nor Military alliances with any of the Empire factions. Nordland and Middenland have one due to lore and shows on the Electoral Machinations screen however non others have. I have very strong fealty (8) from Middenland and their relations with me is around 95. Laurelorn Forest declared war on me which dragged Middenland to their side! Wood Elves are prone to declare war and then do nothing but now I’m going to be fighting a war that Middenland shouldn’t be if I could have allied with them.

Fealty and relations also don’t seem to be a direct comparison either. You can have high fealty but rather low relations which seem a bit odd.

I really hope they bring back the “Give Regions” action in the QoL update next as trying to claim the Provinces can be harder now. (Here’s looking at you Bretonnia and Kislev)

I’m loving the new attacks on settlements which are in essence interactive political events.

Also does anyone know if Markus Wulfhart is confederated via the normal older way as he doesn’t feature in the Elector Count system of course?

Comments

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,294Registered Users
    edited September 13
    Fealty and relations also don’t seem to be a direct comparison either. You can have high fealty but rather low relations which seem a bit odd.

Fealty is increased by good diplomatic relations actually. Not terribly much, but it is a factor. Fealty is also more a measure of how committed a faction is to the idea of the Empire as a political entity while diplomatic relations are more an indicator how much they like a particular faction individually.
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Posts: 5,559Registered Users
    edited September 13
    Markus Wulfhart is confederated in the old way

Though I had him offer me a military alliance.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• Demondawn77Demondawn77 Posts: 38Registered Users

AHHH thank you for this I was worried. Just started a new Karl Franz campaign and I like collecting Legendary Lords like Pokemon.
  • eomateomat Junior Member Posts: 896Registered Users
    edited September 13

AHHH thank you for this I was worried. Just started a new Karl Franz campaign and I like collecting Legendary Lords like Pokemon.
    Gotta catch em all! My aim is to always collect all LL’s for a race. (Race permitting)

Bless you @Arthas_Menethil for this screenshot. My Empire Captain is not travelling on his long voyage in vain thanks to you.

• TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 10,187Registered Users
    ya know... the "Help an Empire province with an army" event stuff is a nice idea
    but why do i have to pay 2000 gold to send a subpar army?
    allow me to use one of my stacks...

this battle doesn't look lie fun...

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!
  • InsanityEmbracedInsanityEmbraced Posts: 93Registered Users
    And on the contrary it actually is fun. Odds are even, and you playing your small forces right tips the balance.

But I agree, there should be some variety in units, and lords should have some abilities and mounts. That bare Arch Lector didn't feel like Arch Lector at all... Or does it change at late game? I haven't gotten far yet

• RikisRikis Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    They could make it like the intervention armies in the vortex. Bigger the force the more money you throw at it. Although sending out one of your own armies would be preferable in my opinion.
  • Herr_ArnulfeHerr_Arnulfe Posts: 748Registered Users
    Playing Empire no longer requires any skill at Total War. You just hunker down in the Reikland (because you can't gain military access to any provinces) and respond to lose/lose random events until you have enough points to Confederate someone. The most challenging Total War situation in the first 30 turns is dealing with Secessionists, after that you're just playing a separate random event-based minigame.
  • eomateomat Junior Member Posts: 896Registered Users
    They really need to bring Military and Defensive Alliances back for Empire Factions. Was this an oversight? I’ve been working on non-violent way of bringing the Empire together and don’t have the full tools of doing so. These are sorely needed. Boris went to war with me and and I defeated him after he took Eilhart. I requested Peace and now we are back on good terms. Just a slight drop in relations. It should never have to come to that though.

ya know... the "Help an Empire province with an army" event stuff is a nice idea

I actually really, really love it! It's an extra layer of challenge that also serves as a teaching moment for less experienced players, forcing you to work with limited resources to use your units to their maximum potential. It's served wonders for me as a refresher course on micro and unit synergy. I thought I was gonna hate it at first, but these battles have been among the highlights of my post-update Daddy Franz campaign.

Playing Empire no longer requires any skill at Total War. You just hunker down in the Reikland (because you can't gain military access to any provinces) and respond to lose/lose random events until you have enough points to Confederate someone. The most challenging Total War situation in the first 30 turns is dealing with Secessionists, after that you're just playing a separate random event-based minigame.

You can still get military access treaties. Please don't spread misinformation about the game, thank you.

You can still get military access treaties. Please don't spread misinformation about the game, thank you.
    Thank you, I was gonna say...

I'm on turn 32 and haven't yet achieved Military Access with any of the provinces, despite using Prestige several times on each neighbour. I actually confederated Ostland on turn 31, before having military access with anyone LOL.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 10,187Registered Users

I actually really, really love it! It's an extra layer of challenge that also serves as a teaching moment for less experienced players, forcing you to work with limited resources to use your units to their maximum potential. It's served wonders for me as a refresher course on micro and unit synergy. I thought I was gonna hate it at first, but these battles have been among the highlights of my post-update Daddy Franz campaign.

for me it's lowlights. I already dislike quest battles artificially limiting me to one army when i field dozens, but that's utterly annoying... You get meh units overall, and you're reinforcements. Meaning you have to rush your units for them to do ANYTHING before the opponent has taken the walls and crushed the gate...

Give me a decent defensive force and allow me to properly place my units and OK... but that's a bad joke.

also: yey, that was fun... 2 units of Plague Claws...

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!
  • JastallJastall Junior Member Posts: 1,002Registered Users
    The system is kind of janky overall. Ostland decided to rebel at some point despite being at 2 Fealty the turn before. OK, fair enough I suppose. I'm playing as Gelt and can't start treking across the entire Empire to stomp them so I just mind my business and send a hero as a scout. Meanwhile I spend Prestige making Wissenland my friend, their fealty goes from 2 to 3 and I have a NAP, trade and military access with them.

All of a sudden Wissenland declares its intent to rebel, while my Imperial Authority is at 2. I don't have 1k Prestige, so I have to war them. Lo and behold, that breaks every treaty I had with them so now I have a battle against two provinces and my reliability has gone down the toilet because of a random event that seems totally impossible to me, how did Wissenland drop 3 fealty in a single turn? Because of this, 3 neighbors decided to declare me as my reliability is at the lowest. The campaign's pretty much over when I have 4 Imperil stacks and two Dwarf ones bearing down on my army and a half all at once.

All in all, one should hoard Prestige, I think. Always, always keep 1k on hand so you can stop a rebellion that can snowball into a disaster.

I'm on turn 32 and haven't yet achieved Military Access with any of the provinces, despite using Prestige several times on each neighbour. I actually confederated Ostland on turn 31, before having military access with anyone LOL.
    Turn 15 and I already got three (there's one with Middeland too, not depicted here because they're further down the list)

There's also a difference between you not managing to get it and them not existing at all.

Turn 15 and I already got three (there's one with Middeland too, not depicted here because they're further down the list)

There's also a difference between you not managing to get it and them not existing at all.

When you play on Easy diplomacy is also easier. :) Seriouly though, lighten up. I am normally one of CA's biggest defenders, I just think they missed the mark bigtime with the Empire rework.
  • karlosovickarlosovic Posts: 1Registered Users
    Jastall said:

The system is kind of janky overall. Ostland decided to rebel at some point despite being at 2 Fealty the turn before. OK, fair enough I suppose. I'm playing as Gelt and can't start treking across the entire Empire to stomp them so I just mind my business and send a hero as a scout. Meanwhile I spend Prestige making Wissenland my friend, their fealty goes from 2 to 3 and I have a NAP, trade and military access with them.

All of a sudden Wissenland declares its intent to rebel, while my Imperial Authority is at 2. I don't have 1k Prestige, so I have to war them. Lo and behold, that breaks every treaty I had with them so now I have a battle against two provinces and my reliability has gone down the toilet because of a random event that seems totally impossible to me, how did Wissenland drop 3 fealty in a single turn? Because of this, 3 neighbors decided to declare me as my reliability is at the lowest. The campaign's pretty much over when I have 4 Imperil stacks and two Dwarf ones bearing down on my army and a half all at once.

All in all, one should hoard Prestige, I think. Always, always keep 1k on hand so you can stop a rebellion that can snowball into a disaster.

I agree - I think the new system totally sucks.
    I'm getting dragged into wars against neighbours I should have been allied with because external alliances are still in the game - just not within out own faction.
    They've half introduced something and it's completely incompatible with the existing system they 90% left in the game.

I'm playing as Gelt. Averland is being attacked but I can't help them because we *can't* be allies

GG, CA - you pack of morons