Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Why cant CA make Araby....

jamreal18jamreal18 Senior MemberPosts: 8,589Registered Users
...if they can make Cylostra?

Why Game Workshop allowed Cylostra but not pushing Araby?

Comments

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,220Registered Users
    I find it always unreasonable to make GW the scapegoat for everything not coming to the trilogy.
    It is not as if the evidence for that is really there.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • SchusselSchussel Posts: 743Registered Users
    Because there is no room left due to the Tomb Kings
  • LolTHELolLolTHELol Posts: 769Registered Users
    From business point of view I think new race would be more costly than few LPs.
    I really do believe the budget of game 2 is at its end. Hence why we are getting less race packs compared to game 1.

So my expectations of game 3 just decreased drastically, and yeah I am upset but at least we got an answer from CA.
  • Ares354Ares354 Posts: 1,947Registered Users
    I go with political reason.
  • GallowmereWarlockGallowmereWarlock Posts: 244Registered Users
    I really want Araby. I really want the most WHF content we can get. But is up to CA and GW in the end.
    <3
  • neodeinosneodeinos Posts: 1,630Registered Users
    Can we just bloody stop with these threads ? We get it. They're not making Araby and it's a shame but just stop now, they have their reasons to not do it and making countless threads about it everyday is not going to change anything.
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Posts: 940Registered Users
    I don't really think it's a matter of "can", but rather a matter of "do they want to, given the cost and effort?". There is lots of more official and easier to add content from the warhammer world that is still missing. No one thinks they can't do for example Kurt Hellborg, they simply haven't yet. I would say the same for Araby, given unlimited time and resources they might, but given what they have they simply don't want to, which is fair IMO.
  • BaronRodneyBaronRodney Posts: 630Registered Users
    LolTHELol said:

I really do believe the budget of game 2 is at its end. Hence why we are getting less race packs compared to game 1.

So my expectations of game 3 just decreased drastically, and yeah I am upset but at least we got an answer from CA.

I don't see how this follows. WH2 will have more DLC than WH1 got. The scope for the DLC has also drastically increased. I don't see how you can draw that conclusion from this evidence. If anything the way CA have handled WH2 suggests, if anything, that WH3 will be bigger in scale than either of the two other games in the trilogy. If only due to the fact it will be the last one, so any DLC brought out, even years from now, will be for that game.
    neodeinos said:

Can we just bloody stop with these threads ? We get it. They're not making Araby and it's a shame but just stop now, they have their reasons to not do it and making countless threads about it everyday is not going to change anything.

Well you have no right to tell people what they can do, or cant do. So stop talking on Araby topic if that problem for you
  • Cortes31Cortes31 Posts: 697Registered Users
    Ares354 said:

This or GW saying no because they can't remake it for use in AoS.

"In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No faction shall escape my sight.
    Let those who think deniers are right
    Beware my power--Faction Lantern's light!"

Everythime a faction/race is excluded from the trilogy, these games become smaller. RIP Araby and others.
  • neodeinosneodeinos Posts: 1,630Registered Users
    Ares354 said:

neodeinos said:

Well you have no right to tell people what they can do, or cant do. So stop talking on Araby topic if that problem for you
    Not a problem for me but we already have many threads about this particular topic.
  • baronblackbaronblack Posts: 3,202Registered Users
    Cortes31 said:

Ares354 said:

Conspiracy theory: the "carpet" on Steam DB was an Alpha Araby build presented to GW.
    GW saw it and said Big No.
    CA removed the branch after a while, and the project was scrapped.

/s
  • AnotherElfAnotherElf Posts: 67Registered Users
    Cortes31 said:

Ares354 said:

Right on the money there
  • misunderstoodvampiremisunderstoodvampire Posts: 714Registered Users
    Wouldn’t want to accidentally offend someone. But they don’t mind generalizing Lizard People and demon Vikings. One of my best friends is a demon Viking and he can’t stand how games workshop and CA have generalized his population over the years
    Cortes31 said:

Ares354 said:

didint LM go into space and are not AoS race ? Same goes for V.Coast who are not part of AoS race ?
  • BeardedragonBeardedragon Member Posts: 1,364Registered Users
    edited September 17
    jamreal18 said:

maybe they can, but it wasnt the right time. i dont know.

personally i rather want Ogre kingdoms over an aladdin look alike faction with flying carpets.

eventually Araby will probably be here, but its also about what sells the most. i dont think araby would ever sell as much as Vampire coast did, due to the muslim connections. most players are from the western world, and not everyone enjoys muslim culture so they would be less inclined to buy the DLC. where as everyone, no matter what nationality likes zombie pirates.

thats just my take on it however.

i dont for a moment think that araby wont be released, i just think CA wanted to get the most important factions out for warhammer 2 that could sell well first.

Araby will be released. but probably not untill game 3.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,671Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

GW hands out their IP like santa hands out presents on christmas.

There is not a shred of evidence GW has anything to do with no Araby in WHTW
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • Glandyth_a_KraeGlandyth_a_Krae Posts: 81Registered Users

Wouldn’t want to accidentally offend someone. But they don’t mind generalizing Lizard People and demon Vikings. One of my best friends is a demon Viking and he can’t stand how games workshop and CA have generalized his population over the years

Frankly with the amount of racism directed towards muslims these days, and on the other side, how absurdly touchy and ready-to-be-offended many folks in the muslim world are, I understand that CA doesn’t want to get into the task of portraying arabs with all the most OTT stereotypes there are.

Warhammer is all about playing and inflating stereotypes to the extreme, and that’s fine and playful, but when you have an ethnicity that is between the hammer of a gigantic wave of racism and hostility and the anvil of their own extremists, you as a business do better by avoiding the issue like the **** plague.

I don’t think Arabia is a particularly interesting and well fleshed out part of WHFB, but I also think something is reaaaally missing in the Southland. Hope CA finds a way to make that part of the map interesting.
  • BorealBoreal Posts: 175Registered Users
    LolTHELol said:

We have had the same amount of race packs.
  • TimpeyoTimpeyo Posts: 1,014Registered Users
    edited September 17
    To be honest it would be nice if they did Araby and Cathay as there quite different but I'm really not that fussed, most off the models or concepts are fan made so It was always going to be difficult for CA to do.

I never quite understood why ppl were so sure they would make it in. I think Kislev is much more likely and I'm looking forward to them far more and I'm sure they have plans to add new existing race LLs near TKs anyway

• BorealBoreal Posts: 175Registered Users

jamreal18 said:

Handing out IPs and allowing them to create races is different.
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Posts: 902Registered Users
    edited September 17
    I’m just going to reiterate what I wrote in another thread.

If I had to guess the reason why we’re not getting Araby, or potentially any other minor race for that matter, it would be a financial reason. Plain and simple. The race packs cost a lot more money to make then a lord pack but ultimately made about the same amount of money as a lord pack. In other words, the cost to profit ratio is better with lord packs. Hence the “only lord packs remaining” for WH2 statement. No way to know this for sure but that would be my guess.

9 times out of 10 it always comes down to money.
  • BeardedragonBeardedragon Member Posts: 1,364Registered Users

Frankly with the amount of racism directed towards muslims these days, and on the other side, how absurdly touchy and ready-to-be-offended many folks in the muslim world are, I understand that CA doesn’t want to get into the task of portraying arabs with all the most OTT stereotypes there are.

Warhammer is all about playing and inflating stereotypes to the extreme, and that’s fine and playful, but when you have an ethnicity that is between the hammer of a gigantic wave of racism and hostility and the anvil of their own extremists, you as a business do better by avoiding the issue like the **** plague.

I don’t think Arabia is a particularly interesting and well fleshed out part of WHFB, but I also think something is reaaaally missing in the Southland. Hope CA finds a way to make that part of the map interesting.
    exactly
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 4,943Registered Users
    I would say one of three reasons:

1) The did a market analysis and discovered that particular setting wouldn't sell
    2) They see PC concerns and don't want to risk it
    3) They don't want to make more races based upon real world cultures because they overlap with historical games too much.
  • theedge634theedge634 Senior Member Posts: 1,768Registered Users

jamreal18 said:

Even if GW was concerned about some of the stereotypes they presented back in early WFB editions. None of the known units are inherently offensive. It would take fairly minimal effort to clean up the overall roster and narrative for Araby.

The problem is likely that CA has A LOT of other more pressing things to handle before then. Araby isn't completely dead anyways. It's just not coming anytime soon. It's quite possible that it eventually makes it in, towards the end of the series.

But I think that a lot of the worry about stereotypes that Araby may present, and how they may be offensive is ridiculous. Elephants and Camel Cavalry are straight out of history. Djinn and Flying Carpets are common mythology that can be done while remaining inoffensive. The rest is just normal units. All CA would have to do is avoid any overly stereotypical voiceover lines or text, and they're good to go.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,822Registered Users
    They said no current plans. Meaning for Warhammer 2 at least they aren't making them.

Warhammer 3 is a possibility. Still wouldn't expect it.
  • RandomblondedudeRandomblondedude Posts: 15Registered Users
    Or it's simply that Araby has been a minor footnote in WHFB since looong before the 8th edition game was cancelled and therefore CA in conjunction with GW decided that it wasn't worth investing time and money in.

The latest major entry was Warmaster on 2002 and that was a minor game at most. 2002 might seem pretty recently but in the Warhammer development timeline it's ages ago.
  • theedge634theedge634 Senior Member Posts: 1,768Registered Users

exactly

exactly
    A couple of things.

I'm still unsure of exactly what about the Araby roster is offensive. The units are either straight out of middle-eastern history, or middle-eastern mythology. Just make sure that no overtly stereotypical voiceover lines or text arrives with Araby and I don't see any offense being taken.

On to the second point. I think Araby and Kislev are similar in their lack of interesting-ness and being underimplemented. Every time I hear someone bash Araby for not being fleshed out, I look over at Kislev and see a roster that is just as bareboned and uninspired. I mean, it's Northeastern Europeans with a couple of bear units. That's all Kislev is. They have more lore, and a couple of living named characters, which is better for sure. But let's not act like the roster for Kislev looks all that much more interesting than Araby's. They both run low on the elements that make up the rest of Warhammer setting.

That being said, I WANT Kislev in. I also want Araby in. Hopefully in due time they can both make it.