Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ai doomstacks everywhere

beegee84beegee84 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 293
Since the recent update has anbody else noticed the ai seems to have doomstacks everywhere and is consolidating fast sometimes conquering whole continents before turn 60. Even on normal Ai seems uber hard now conquering quicker than even the best human players ever could

Im rarely seeing minor factions past the first 50 turns which is a shame

Comments

• beegee84beegee84 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 293
    I just tried to invade bretonnia as norsca and they had 2 full stacks per province. I could only afford 2 per my entire faction, it seems whatever they did too make primary factions stronger was really overkill
  • CountTalabeclandCountTalabecland Registered Users Posts: 700
    I have sort of noticed this in Wolfhart’s Vortex campaign. Hexoatl has a ton of doom stacks full of big monsters.

However, they only seem intent on trying to invade me as they are at war with Skeggi and Clan Pestilins who are both sacking and raiding Hexoatls territoy while Lizardmen suicide themselves against my walls.

If anything, the AI’s single minded intent to try to kill the player at all costs seems to have been ratcheted up.

I have sort of noticed this in Wolfhart’s Vortex campaign. Hexoatl has a ton of doom stacks full of big monsters.

However, they only seem intent on trying to invade me as they are at war with Skeggi and Clan Pestilins who are both sacking and raiding Hexoatls territoy while Lizardmen suicide themselves against my walls.

If anything, the AI’s single minded intent to try to kill the player at all costs seems to have been ratcheted up.

Yep I noticed same thing in my wulfhart campaign as well, teclis was going nuts and conquered the whole of naggaroth
  • Nitros14Nitros14 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,023
    It's pretty great imo. The AI needs to fight back against the player steamroller.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,930
    Not really seen it.. although I'm playing the albino one so it is pretty easy.
  • DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,650
    In my liazrdman campaign everyone wants to be friends with me, its very weird. Must be scared of getting Kroaked.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • TheWolfLordTheWolfLord Registered Users Posts: 88
    Haven’t seen it myself and I’m playing Markus on VH at turn 100.

Hexoatl has had some nasty armies but very mixed.

Obviously they’ve had a couple of stacks of all blessed dinos but that doesn’t count.

• nikamika12345nikamika12345 Registered Users Posts: 537
    YES, ai got Doom stacks everywhere and I THANK CA FOR THAT!

and i hope they Make Ai even harder in future (on High difficulties ofc) i Dont want to ruins someones Game if he wishes to play without stress, on easy or normal.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 12,683
    Aside from Greenskins rising in a green tide once I haven't really seen all that many powerful AI factions.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

Im convinced bretonnia has at least 20 full stacks of elites before I could even field 3 Im winning but the next turn 3 more full stacks turn up, I sent agents in to have a look and this is mental to the point of being almost unplayable they have more stacks than cities
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,232
    edited September 2019
    In my von carstein campaign dwarfs main faction confed Karak zufbar after turn 10.

I dont see doomstacks but I see multiple armies from factions that own 1 province, they have usually 3 armies with T1-T2 units, if you dont have good ambush or lightningstrike you are instant gameover.

edit: In my Tehenhauin campaign skrolk had 4 armies with 1 region tunneling arround everywhere starting raiding whitout ambushstance he had game overed me with money.
  • misunderstoodvampiremisunderstoodvampire Registered Users Posts: 1,085
    I’ve only played 2 campaigns so far but I did notice Brettonia confederation got 5 turns in a row lol.
  • misunderstoodvampiremisunderstoodvampire Registered Users Posts: 1,085
    When I get home I’ll run the old campaign auto run mod before running errands to see who dominates who
  • ForistaForista Registered Users Posts: 129
    Yes, AI walks everywhere on turn 60 with full stacks of tier 5 units everywhere. I play VH/VH since the beginning and now, with the ports nerf, it's a nightmare.
    Its happening too quick for the ai by turn 100 id say there's less than half the factions left compared to previous patch which in my opinion gave me lots more variety not just endless stacks from the same few factions over and over...... Bearing in mind this is on normal not legandary
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,428
    edited September 2019
    What's happening for me is that armies are getting comprised of half (or more) of huge arse monsters.

Dinos for lizards.

Dragons for Elves.

Arachnarok for Greenkskins.

Mammoths and what not for Norsca.

And so on.

It's incredibly annoying because the ONLY way to kill large monsters in this game (unless you're wood or dark elves) is to bring a like number of your own large monsters.

Why is this bad? Because the game is forcing me to make the same armies over and over again and stonewalling me into a single kind of army - monster heavy.

It's dumb. There needs to be optional unit caps for any given stack - BADLY. I don't want to see more than two of these damned things in any stack. It's so gd immersion breaking.

Also, the Lizardman dino-force armies are unstoppable when AI is fighting other AI. As a result the lizardman AI factions are just steamrolling all the other AI.
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 4,069
    I'm liking the increased difficulty right now.
  • SagrandaSagranda Registered Users Posts: 1,659
    t.
    Itharus said:

What's happening for me is that armies are getting comprised of half (or more) of huge arse monsters.

Dinos for lizards.

Dragons for Elves.

And so on.

It's incredibly annoying because the ONLY way to kill large monsters in this game (unless you're wood or dark elves) is to bring a like number of your own large monsters.

Why is this bad? Because the game is forcing me to make the same armies over and over again and stonewalling me into a single kind of army - monster heavy.

It's dumb. There needs to be optional unit caps for any given stack - BADLY. I don't want to see more than two of these damned things in any stack. It's so gd immersion breaking.

Also, the Lizardman dino-force armies are unstoppable when AI is fighting other AI. As a result the lizardman AI factions are just steamrolling all the other AI.

AI recruitment behavior can be changed without caps via scripts and changing variables. No need for caps (at least not in the way they usually get portrayed).
    Disclaimer: What I say is my opinion and not necessarily stated as fact.
  • LayzanLayzan Registered Users Posts: 1,018
    Noticed this BIG time, it's a nightmare playing GS Grimgor campaign. The dwarfs consolidate all over the place with doom stacks everywhere, and then buddy up with the OP empire that wipes out half the world because VC and chaos are a joke to them now.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 11,080
    edited September 2019
    beegee84 said:

Im convinced bretonnia has at least 20 full stacks of elites before I could even field 3 Im winning but the next turn 3 more full stacks turn up, I sent agents in to have a look and this is mental to the point of being almost unplayable they have more stacks than cities

Play on a lower difficulty if it feels like a slog.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
    I agree on the monster spam but the ai needs to keep up with the player so without changes to the system itself it is what it is.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.

beegee84 said:

This is on normal not legendary
  • Skarsnik_De_EmperorSkarsnik_De_Emperor Registered Users Posts: 1,832
    No doom stack in my normal difficulty game though.
    beegee84 said:

beegee84 said:

This is on normal not legendary
    Can you post screenshots?
    edited September 2019
    Just so I'm absolutely clear, the campaign difficulty does not effect battles right? That's all down to the battle difficulty option only, that's the one which gives extra stats etc?

Campaign is what, just cash and a limitation on you for extra armies, and what else?
    Oh and public order too.
  • joproulx99joproulx99 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,223
    Sagranda said:

t.

Itharus said:

Dinos for lizards.

Dragons for Elves.

And so on.

AI recruitment behavior can be changed without caps via scripts and changing variables. No need for caps (at least not in the way they usually get portrayed).
    Please, do tell me what script does that.
    "Fear me mortals, for I am the Anointed, the favored Son of Chaos, the Scourge of the World. The armies of the gods rally behind me, and it is by my will and by my sword that your weakling nations shall fall."

~ Archaon, Lord of the End Times
    Sagranda said:

t.

Itharus said:

Dinos for lizards.

Dragons for Elves.

And so on.

That's fine and good for modders. Since I'm not one, I'd prefer it if CA would do this 20 year veteran customer a solid and put in OPTIONAL caps that can be TOGGLED during game set up (or even mid-game). People who don't want caps have absolute zero reason to complain about optional caps. I don't understand why they persist in doing so.
  • steam_163135713382gsXFcdRsteam_163135713382gsXFcdR Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    Not exactly script, but which units the AI recruits, and how many, is determined via army templates in the database. (The AI does deviate from those if it only can recruit certain units because it lacks buildings for others.)

Having top-tier armies at turn 60 is to be expected, turn 60 is already mid-game and the player can easily have top-tier armies at that time as well.

I agree on the monster spam but the ai needs to keep up with the player so without changes to the system itself it is what it is.

Player can choose not to spam monsters too, you know. I don't spam them unless I have to because the AI is forcing my hand. I honestly prefer to actually use all my units instead of just elites, too. I wish they'd add optional caps to make things more sane, like they're doing in MP.

Maybe this is some weird trick trying to force more people to MP in order to get a battle that isn't ridiculous.