Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is this game official abandoned by CA ? or will there be any future updates ?

The_baronThe_baron Posts: 506Registered Users
Does CA have any word regarding fixing the auto resolver ? improving the A.I. ? changing diplomacy ? maybe adopting some of the terrific work from mod creators that add things like population ? finishing what they started with updating the politics by disabling spam mechanics for characters and by that making them more unique and needed ?

Or is this game official is R.I.P ?

Cause to be honest the game still looks fine and with the fixes I mentioned it might be more enjoyable than 3K.
Also probably will never happen but extra players for multiplayer campaign :)

Comments

• ArneSoArneSo Posts: 1,390Registered Users
    I‘m still playing from time to time. Just did another Samnites campaign last month 😂

Rome 2 is still my favourite total war game!

Don’t think we will get more DLCs. But the game actually has everything it needs in my opinion.
  • The_baronThe_baron Posts: 506Registered Users
    @ArneSo
    Your favorite ? what else did you play and when did you play it ?
  • AncientMedievalAncientMedieval Posts: 49Registered Users
    I don't think there will be any more DLC for Rome 2. I would not be against CA releasing more DLC though. :) The one big thing missing for Rome 2 is Ted and Terry modding tools. There is cool modding possibilities that could be done with this game using these modding tools. This game is still played and modded by many in the Total War community. Releasing these tools would be very beneficial to those of us that love this game.

CA, if you are reading this please please release Ted and Terry for Rome 2. :) Many of us would be very grateful!
  • BenjinBenjin Junior Member Posts: 256Registered Users
    edited October 1
    I also think that the game's support has been dropped, but the door is always open for them to return. A surprise return update (including DLC to compensate for such an update), just like last time, is always welcome! The game's player numbers haven't changed much since that time anyway - a core playerbase of around 10,000 people still play it on and off.

Bringing map editors (Shogun 2 + Attila, before and after Rome II, have them so why not?) would be very welcome - not being able to make custom battle maps to then bring into the existing campaign map's battle tiles has been sorely lacking for years.
    Post edited by Benjin on

Currently working on a whole lot more, stay tuned.
  • AncientMedievalAncientMedieval Posts: 49Registered Users
    Yes Rome 2 still has maintained a large contestant number of players who still play and mod the game. Rome 2 also still has a steady stream of new people buying the game. Unless I am mistaken Rome 2 is the most played "pure historical title" of the Total War Series. Some would argue that Three Kingdoms is more of a hybrid of romance and history. Overall Rome 2 ranks third only behind Warhammer 2 and Three Kingdoms in number of players.

As Benjin pointed out there is Ted and Terry for Shogun 2 and Attila. Why not have add these same modding tools for Rome 2 which came after Shogun 2 and before Attila. When CA announced they were going to release a New Launcher, I was hoping the Tools Team at CA would possibly add Ted and Terry for Rome 2 and have all games since Shogun 2 caught up in terms of having both a assembly kit and a map editor. I still think it could possibly happen. I think Ted and Terry for Rome 2 would get used even more than the map editors for Shogun 2 and Attila as Rome 2 simply has more players and more active modders.

So again CA, if you are reading this please take into consideration what we are saying and strongly consider releasing Ted and Terry for Rome 2. :)
    Modding tools are just not enough to solve the issues ... there is just to many core issues as I stated already and here is a bit more details about this :

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    1) During almost all my campaigns in Rome II I autoresolved my way with spam armies of cheap crap cause its the most efficient way to get ahead. I would have never managed to get the same results with those trash stacks in those fights if I had to go into battle for a large number of reasons : Campaign Positioning has no effect on the autoresolver, when entering a battle there is so many factors to consider such as army arrival directions, distance from the engagement, battle map (choke point rivers), if a siege is in play 1 basic equipment such as ladders (which are now automatically given) will result in a massive bottleneck which will lead to massive casualties. Yet none of this is taken into consideration, even worse the calculation is considering all units and all stats as if you could field more that 20vs20 ! this is why its so broken and yet CA did nothing to fix it ... and this is without talking about units balance and the effects of formations and so on. The worst part about it that this plague followed to Warhammer, Thrones of Britannia and Three Kingdoms and CA's solution wasn't improving the auto resolver but instead inflating the A.I.'s buff to make it seem harder.

Both Rome II and Thrones of Britannia have some really nice siege maps which I barely ever saw ! cause its just to easy to autoresolve ! CA is capable of fixing it with counting the number of units in the attacking and defending sides , the amount of siege equipment and its level and usage, the directions of reinforcements the defenders defensive tools. but no easy solution is artificial buff to the 'strength ratio' cause its cheaper.

*side note for all the immersion people* I don't hinder myself in games , I don't abuse mechanics either , I play for max efficiency which means if an auto resolver does FAR better than I could do - I will use the autoresolver , if it was closer to what I can do I would have taken the battle for fun and maybe attempting to squeeze just a bit of a better result. A good example for me trying to immerse myself : I wanted a WWII game in BF V , chose weapons according to sides but soon realized the weapon balance is **** - changed it to the best (most broken) weapon that I could equipped and used it to butcher people end of story - I don't force myself to fail I play the meta , I don't find paths under the map to win but if a balance is of and one weapon is better I am gonna use it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2) Population : A lot of people keep bring up the older total war games and talk about this specific aspect and feature, why is it so important one might wonder, well the answer is a bit complex but worth looking at. This feature is beyond the sole reason of immersion , its a balancing tool that follows the game from its start to end its affects the economy and the armies and it evolves the strategic depth of the game all while to be honest being pretty much easy to understand and grasp.

One of the massive problems of the latest Total War games was the lack of a check process on the recruitment system. This meant that besides the upkeep and upfront payment for a unit , a player could spam the same unit as much as he wants as long as he have the right recruitment building and he could replenish automatically where ever he goes.

Why is this a problem ? well in previous games a player might take a battle not only to avoid a unit being randomly wiped out ( Warhammer) or because the ratio was heavily boosting an A.I. to make it seem like a challenge. A lot of battles I used to take were due to the need of the local population to replenish my veteran troops. going on a campaign auto resolving your way would not only be costly to your economy but also your man power and it will force the player to retreat or halt a campaign just like in real life if not done carefully - it encouraged me to take the battle so I could maximize my success !

Now as you guys mentioned there is some great modders who helped to keep the flame burning and one of those mods who brought me back to check on the game was "People of Rome" (which was integrated into DEI). This brilliant mod not only brought the effects of population on gameplay back like in older TW games but also improved on it with the classes system ! The class system not only effected the tiers of recruitment which will deny and restricted the availability to spam armies / doomstacks but also it impacted the economic power of cities and the impact of research and 'building tall' ! Replenishment also made a comeback with foreign newly acquired territories being unsuitable to replenish the troops of higher tier (encouraging the player go into battles only to use lower tier units as the front lines to sustain casualties - just like real life - while preserving the better quality troops for longer campaigning) but really great for getting axualiry militia.

So people might ask me if this mod is so great and its already created why do you need CA ? well besides the fact that its ilogical to exit and enter the game 10 times a day to swap between playing multiplayer to playing singleplayer cause of incompatibility issues ... the problem with mods even as great as the one described here is that they will never be perfectly suitable for the game they without the help of the creators themselves *example* When losing a town which the player took a long time to build up its population even for a single turn - the whole population will turn to a foreign population once the settlement is being recaptured ... this is ruining games.

3) Diplomacy : it was well established for a very long as time that the diplomacy of Total War games was not up to par with the rest of the features of the franchise it was neglected heavily as the franchised stepped forward and luckily Three Kingdoms did not only halted the trend but also reversed it ! Is it a perfect ? no , but its much better than it used to be - I wrote plenty already on the missing aspects of 3K diplomacy such as the A.I. lack of evaluation skills of army locations, fielding army capabilities , threats and more on the campaign map but still its much better.

When I go back to Rome II the diplomacy is painful to use, I had just seen Jackie Fishes and Darrens Head to Head and Darren paid the A.I. a lot of cash for non-aggression only for the A.I. to attack him the next turn ... the diplomacy is beyond broken its useless besides the aspect of trade and even for trade its a massive annoyance to use it.

Rome II and Three Kingdoms are maybe a few years apart but they are all using basically the same systems - is it possible to transfer the diplomacy from one game to another ? yes , how much will it cost - I don't know maybe a lot maybe not but its kind of really needed.

4) Politics : I have already made plenty of posts about it and maybe , just maybe CA might have read some of them and managed to understand the critic and apply it in "Three Kingdoms". In Three Kingdoms there is a limited pool of characters and they are costly and they have interactions (which were suppose to important but they aren't) between each other. This is what Rome II is missing , in Rome II characters are being spawned out of thin air (infinite pool) combine it with lots of kids in later stages of the campaign makes it really easy to just step forward , short life spam of characters no proper trait system (like in ToB) and much more makes the political game both boring and discouraging as playing it currently barely provides any benefits.

CA meant to have at least the level of politics like we see now when they released the game and we got barely a skeleton in release , now it might have some muscles on it but saying its got skin would be a lie. The political game needs much more refinement with the addition of features like government positions , relationship between characters , basic tree for rival political parties a reward system for playing the political system well.

Those are just beyond the reach of modders ... even after the update that was done , while I agree it was a huge step forward compared to what was before - I still see it as a chore I have no enjoyment from - cause playing it good means barely anything and playing it bad is a punishment but the mechanics are easily manipulated so I never reach a real risk neither I get a reward and thus its just a waste. One of the biggest features I was looking for in Rome II after seeing the government system and in Empire was a proper political systems.

And last but not least - A.I : I won't right to much about it cause this is both for campaign and battle and basically there is a billion things I could write - but I will just say that Rome II's A.I. well lets say that its far from being good :)
  • Karoten2Karoten2 Posts: 176Registered Users
    I really hope, that CA would continue updating Rome II, there are still lots of issues to fix and improve - autoresolve, AI, naval mechanics, balancing, victory conditions, siegie mechanics..

I have little different view on some things:
    about the politics I do not think there is need of complicated political game & character micromanagement, there should be simple /but functional!/ mechanics which brings you "internal enemy" in the late and end game, and penalties and bonuses depends on player's decisions

about diplomacy - i did not play Three Kingdoms yet, but I believe, that diplomacy mechanics works better there,
    for the R2, the best demonstration is to play as Carthage in HATG campaign - your alies and vassals start fight each-other, do not have tools to influence it, and you must go to unwanted war + receive penalty for breaking aliance ,
    thing that was fixed in warhammer II, so it can be updated

there are more many points, I would like make new topic about thing what should/can be updated
  • Herr_ArnulfeHerr_Arnulfe Posts: 742Registered Users
    Karoten2 said:

about diplomacy - i did not play Three Kingdoms yet, but I believe, that diplomacy mechanics works better there,
    for the R2, the best demonstration is to play as Carthage in HATG campaign - your alies and vassals start fight each-other, do not have tools to influence it, and you must go to unwanted war + receive penalty for breaking aliance ,
    thing that was fixed in warhammer II, so it can be updated

Always choose "Join War Against..." in HatG when your client states declare war on each other. You won't suffer a diplomacy penalty, and the following turn you can usually sue for peace on the condition that they become your Client State. Often they will even pay you for the privilege of becoming your client state again.

@Herr_Arnulfe

Please when commenting - keep the discussion to the topic of the thread.
    You can always PM (private message the person for such things).
  • Herr_ArnulfeHerr_Arnulfe Posts: 742Registered Users
    The_baron said:

@Herr_Arnulfe

Please when commenting - keep the discussion to the topic of the thread.
    You can always PM (private message the person for such things).

My comment was on-topic. Oftentimes when players believe certain mechanics were broken and required updating, it's just a case of the player not understanding how they worked. e.g. naval battles, diplomacy, looting and sacking etc. In fact, sometimes the mechanics were designed so well initially that subsequent updates can ruin formerly great campaigns if the new designer wasn't part of the original CA team (e.g. HatG in Rome 2, Empire in TWWH). This isn't just the players' problem though - CA needs to provide tactics guides for systems that require hours of trial-and-error to understand, and only fix the mechanics that are truly broken.