Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Have you ever won an Empire Reinforcement Battle in a minor settlement?

SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Posts: 1,320Registered Users
edited September 27 in General Discussion
When I say that I mean the new battles that crop up randomly where you can defend another Empire Province.

If its a fort or a city then it feels more evenly matched and I win most of the time but when its a Minor Settlement battle, unless we're fighting Skaven I almost always lose because my ally gets torn to shreds.

And alot of the time the game will spawn my army behind the enemy so they just completely wipe me out before I even have a chance to form up. Our army should spawn with our ally rather than off the map. Like WTF seriously?!

Is this your experience as well? how are you finding the reinforcement battles?

I think this really drives home the fact that we need minor settlement maps like Total War Attila back. Back in the days when 2 Spearmen and an archer unit huddled up in the right place could take down 10x their number.

Also, something I'd just like to mention: if we reinforce an ally we get diplomatic penalties for trespassing...that's total BS. I've not tested it but I assume the option to hire mercenaries allows you to avoid this penalty? but then 1000 prestige is not worth -10 or -20 diplomatic relations so this whole choice is terrible.
Post edited by SeanJeanquoi on

Comments

• dreagondreagon Senior Member Posts: 1,931Registered Users
    I just auto-resolve them. I simply can't be bothered to waste time on dealing with my AI ally. Usually that ends up in a phyrric victory anyway so it's fine.
    "The dog is a peasant and the cat is a gentleman." H.P. Lovecraft
  • SephlockSephlock Posts: 2,046Registered Users
    Yes
    #JusticeForUshoran #RuneGolems #RuneGuardians #ShardDragons #Thunderbarges #Stormfiends #BigMonsters #MoreDakka
  • SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Posts: 1,320Registered Users
    CA said on stream that there are only about 80 people working on WH2.

I don't know if its a lack of staff or if Sega is Pressuring CA to push out stuff early or what, but just like Nakai's campaign: this is another thing where it feels like they didnt really think about it or test it, they just sort of did it.

I'm glad we're getting more mechanics for the Empire but the Fealty mechanic, this reinforcing mechanic, Imperial Authority.

none of these mechanics feel finished.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,381Registered Users
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 7,288Registered Users
    Lawdy.

Nakai's campaign is fine when compared to all other horde campaigns.

Do hordes have problems? Yes.

But they are not nakai specific. I think the general lack of experience with horde armies is what's tripping people up here. Nakai is actually probably the easiest horde army to play aside from VCoast... which as we all know a lobotomized monkey could win a campaign of while furiously pressing the button that feeds it more cocaine.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 10,184Registered Users
    Once. It was only a half stack of Beastmen and so garrison+ relatively decent reinforcements (2 Empire knights, 2 swordsmen, 2 Crossbows + general). that was a relatively nice battle.
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!
  • summertimelovinsummertimelovin Posts: 208Registered Users
    Yes. But after a while I just auto resolve as you don't really lose anything by doing so.
    Itharus said:

Lawdy.

But they are not nakai specific. I think the general lack of experience with horde armies is what's tripping people up here. Nakai is actually probably the easiest horde army to play aside from VCoast... which as we all know a lobotomized monkey could win a campaign of while furiously pressing the button that feeds it more cocaine.

They were attempting to fix those problems by implementing Nakai. I Never said that other hordes were fine but Nakai isnt much better and they have created new problems by tying to fix the old ones.

The issues with other horde factions is mostly irreverent here.
  • neodeinosneodeinos Posts: 2,145Registered Users

CA said on stream that there are only about 80 people working on WH2.

I don't know if its a lack of staff or if Sega is Pressuring CA to push out stuff early or what, but just like Nakai's campaign: this is another thing where it feels like they didnt really think about it or test it, they just sort of did it.

I'm glad we're getting more mechanics for the Empire but the Fealty mechanic, this reinforcing mechanic, Imperial Authority.

none of these mechanics feel finished.

In both Lord Packs Lizardmen feels unfinished too. Both Nakai and Tehenhauin need some tweaking.
    edited September 27
    @neodeinos

Couldn't agree more.

I don't begrudge more content obviously but at the moment they are supposed to be adding more content while simultaniously cleaning up behind themselves: fixing issues, revamping factions etc

But at least half of the new content they have produced recently is unfinished and now requires them to clean up after that as well.

They're just making more work for themselves and my worry is that this is going to cause constant negative feedback and they are eventually going to assume we are just being unreasonable and wash their hands of it: leaving alot of this stuff broken or unfinished.
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    I’ve won every reinforcement minor settlement battle so far. Some have come down to the wire though.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,919Registered Users
    edited September 27
    Ive won all but 2. Dont think those were winnable. Ive won a few with the smallest margin possible.
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • innerpinnerp Junior Member Posts: 301Registered Users
    Itharus said:

Lawdy.

nakai probably has a worse experience since his economy is trash and his sack values are abysmal. could field a 2nd army at turn 20 as chaos/beast if i want to, but nakai feels like he needs to own half the map to get a 2nd one out.
    innerp said:

Itharus said:

Lawdy.

nakai probably has a worse experience since his economy is trash and his sack values are abysmal. could field a 2nd army at turn 20 as chaos/beast if i want to, but nakai feels like he needs to own half the map to get a 2nd one out.
    He needs to own at least 15-20 settlements to be able to field a second army and thats not taking into account the dumb global recruitment buildings that cost about 20K each to get up to level 3.

I Created a second Lord on turn 10 or something and I wasn't able to give him a full stack until about 1 turn before I did the final battle (Turn 80-90ish)
  • Jman5Jman5 Posts: 103Registered Users

Yes. But after a while I just auto resolve as you don't really lose anything by doing so.

You get a fat stack of cash if you win the fight. So it definitely pays to fight manually if auto-resolve has you losing.

Anyway, they're pretty tough on higher difficulty. I'm not sure if my tactics are just flawed or if they are just not tuned correctly. Does anyone know how difficulty impacts your ally's stats? My ally always seems to get completely rolled over in no time.
  • DarkLordOfDarknessDarkLordOfDarkness Posts: 240Registered Users
    Yes, won against skaven. Using my unit of knights was key
    edited September 27
    @Tennisgolfboll

@Bonutz619

@summertimelovin

@Sephlock

What difficulty are you playing on?

For me it goes like this:

- AI ally refuses to commit or does something stupid (Ive had them put their archers in front of their infantry and get attacked. Ive also had them do that and move them behind the line only for them to get charged by enemy cavalry.

- The enemy tends to get really high value units while we get nothing: enemy gets rattling gunners and Warpfire Throwers or Cygors and minotars or Centigors and Minotars or Skinwolfs and champions and even mammoths.

- I almost always spawn behind the enemy meaning they commit their entire army to attacking me first

- even without the elite units the enemy tends to have a massive cavalry, mobility or ranged advantage

- My forces are almost always 2 swordsmen, 1 handgunner, 2 empire knights and a general. is this the same for you?
    edited September 27

@Tennisgolfboll

@Bonutz619

@summertimelovin

@Sephlock

What difficulty are you playing on?

For me it goes like this:

- AI ally refuses to commit or does something stupid (Ive had them put their archers in front of their infantry and get attacked. Ive also had them do that and move them behind the line only for them to get charged by enemy cavalry.

- The enemy tends to get really high value units while we get nothing: enemy gets rattling gunners and Warpfire Throwers or Cygors and minotars or Centigors and Minotars or Skinwolfs and champions and even mammoths.

- I almost always spawn behind the enemy meaning they commit their entire army to attacking me first

- even without the elite units the enemy tends to have a massive cavalry, mobility or ranged advantage

- My forces are almost always 2 swordsmen, 1 handgunner, 2 empire knights and a general. is this the same for you?

It varies. Mostly normal battle difficulty and VH campaign
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
    I'd also like to point out the issue between factions:

The cheap units me and my allies are using is bad in and of itself but having little more than 4 crossbows and 1 handgunner against a faction like Norsca or Chaos is ridiculous because if their Infantry even lightly brushes against the Empires you will melt.
  • MasariusMasarius Senior Member Posts: 695Registered Users
    edited September 27
    yes, several actually.

I love those battles.

Just had a great siege experience. (I known no minor settlement. Still it was a lot of fun)
    Till shade is gone,
    till water is gone,
    into the Shadow with the teeth bared,
    screaming defiance with the last breath,
    to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day
  • AttercopAttercop Posts: 89Registered Users
    Yep lost a few as well but far less than I've won. I agree they can be tricky it depends on the relative position of the ally and the enemy when the battle starts, the ones I've lost the ally was much further away from me than the enemy so I got monstered. The rest the ally was much closer so the enemy splits you can then grind it out.
  • psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,378Registered Users
    80 people is a huge team for post production DLC work. Bitches be crazy...
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 4,999Registered Users
    Won them easily on normal. Quite handily a couple times.

I can see it impossible depending on several factors but I think most of them should be doable if you cheese the AI stupidity baiting their units etc.

I don't however think all need to be winnable. It's the thought that counts, right?
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
    Crossil said:

Won them easily on normal. Quite handily a couple times.

I can see it impossible depending on several factors but I think most of them should be doable if you cheese the AI stupidity baiting their units etc.

I don't however think all need to be winnable. It's the thought that counts, right?

I think there are alot of random variables. Not a bad idea from CA
    psychoak said:

80 people is a huge team for post production DLC work

Yeah it is pretty awesome if correct
  • RowYerboatRowYerboat Junior Member Posts: 956Registered Users
    I actually like these battles, although I'd like a bit more variety in the units I get. But I actually get to fight Beastmen sometimes, which is nice. And a reinforcement battle where you have the smaller force is certainly a change of pace, and challenging without your usual army comp and wizards etc.

But yeah, lost the first one I ever tried, then have won the others since. Only normal battle difficulty, so YMMV. One of the wins was about as close as you can get (the loss was also close). But that's actually one thing I like about it...you can lose a fight and it's not nearly as crippling as losing one of your regular stacks, so I'm not forced to just ragequit.
  • SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Posts: 414Registered Users
    I've won everyone I've played so far. They aren't always easy, but they are definitely winnable.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,859Registered Users

I think this really drives home the fact that we need minor settlement maps like Total War Attila back. Back in the days when 2 Spearmen and an archer unit huddled up in the right place could take down 10x their number.

This is actually rather terrible design. I definitely don't want this again. It's literally just cheese.
    psychoak said:

I don't know anything about what kind of numbers this stuff takes, but 80 people is definitely a lot of people to do a thing. If it's accurate then it's significantly more than I'd have assumed would've been working on it.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,767Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Yes. Several.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Posts: 78Registered Users

This is actually rather terrible design. I definitely don't want this again. It's literally just cheese.
    psychoak said:

I don't know anything about what kind of numbers this stuff takes, but 80 people is definitely a lot of people to do a thing. If it's accurate then it's significantly more than I'd have assumed would've been working on it.
    Yeah I would of assumed more like 8 then 80!