Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Thinking of buying a PC for this

MantrielMantriel Posts: 15Registered Users
edited September 27 in Technology
I used to be a huge Warhammer Fantasy fan, now that TW:WH3 is announced, I am thinking about buying the games, but my current PC couldn't handle it.
I am thinking about buying a high end PC just for this game, but I have no understanding of PC building or what to buy.
Could you help me with some advice?

I live in Germany.

I was thinking about something like this:
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB DDR5, DirectX® 12, DVI, HDMI, Displayport
8 Gb Ram
AMD Octa-Core FX 8300, 8 Core, 4.2 GHz Turbo (3300 MHz)

Thanks for any advice or suggestion!

Comments

• Deep_echo_soundDeep_echo_sound Posts: 447Registered Users
    This is very outdated and low end.
    You need to know your budget and, then, you can pick your hardware.
  • MantrielMantriel Posts: 15Registered Users
    Could you recommend something, for around 1000 € or $?
  • darkgaia01darkgaia01 Posts: 155Registered Users
    pc building is very easy now with using youtube and tech forums for guides
  • AnnoyedOneEyedGuyAnnoyedOneEyedGuy Posts: 1,065Registered Users
    build your own PC, and always build more expensive so it lasts longer
  • MantrielMantriel Posts: 15Registered Users
    I have no idea what even to look for. My knowledge on this topic is 0.
    Any tips beyond go to google would be appreciated.
    Well, this is not "warhammer" discussion.
    But, you need 6 to 8 core CPU. (200-300.)
    16 (8x2) GB of DDR4. (Less than 100.)
    And graphics card on the level of GTX 1080 or higher. (250-400.)
    And better to have SSD. Any reliable SSD of 1TB or so. (100-130.)
    Plus decent motherboard. (100-130.)
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 829Registered Users
    edited September 27
    I think that a good CPU and an SSD are mandatory. I think this game runs better on cpus that have high single core speed, rather than multi-core but slow speed cpus. So, I think Intel CPUs are slightly better than AMD ones for this game.
    edited September 27
    They will optimize the game. But for now - yep. Intel is better for "total war - warhammer".
    But, machine better be build for more games and somewhat future-proof.
    If you interested in specifics, ask me via P.M., I can look to answer this later with concrete models.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 6,474Registered Users

This is the kind of computer I built two years ago or so. Runs TWW2 very well although framrates are not ad high as I’d want.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • Lord_DistamorfinLord_Distamorfin Posts: 434Registered Users

This is roughly equivalent to what I built in early 2018. My whole rig was about $2000, so I imagine the same PC today is considerably cheaper, especially now that all the next-gen hardware is available.
  • psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,327Registered Users
    https://www.amazon.de/Memory-Gaming-PC-StoreMI-GeForce/dp/B07TZQKGMZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=3600x+2060&qid=1569601499&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTzhRVjYwT01TUFVDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTc3NDg3MjJXMVgyRk1aRzdRVyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjk5MjU4MkpKMTlXUkJIVUlKRSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.de/Memory-PC-i5-8600K-Z370-P-Windows/dp/B077VLCQ4Z/ref=sr_1_6?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=9600k+2060&qid=1569600765&sr=8-6

Just a quick check on amazon.

Don't get anything that doesn't at least have a 240gb ssd, you really don't want to play this on an old style hard drive.
    Don't get anything that isn't a current or last generation processor, and don't get any low end processors. That's Ryzen 7's, the top Ryzen 5's, of the 2xxx or 3xxx varieties, or 8xxx and 9xxx i7's and high end Core i5's.
    Don't get anything less than a GTX 1050 Ti or a RX 580.
    Don't gamble and get something with bad reviews.
  • PatriksevePatrikseve Member Posts: 1,649Registered Users
    edited September 27

This is roughly equivalent to what I built in early 2018. My whole rig was about $2000, so I imagine the same PC today is considerably cheaper, especially now that all the next-gen hardware is available.
    I have a gtx 980 and its works great with warhammer 1 and 2 on higer settings. I also have an i7 and 16 gb ram, but a standard harddrive. Works well so if its to expensive theres alternatives that works good even if it might be some "older hardware".

No machine in the world runs "total war - warhammer 2" in the high F.P.S. all the time.
    Even 5.1 Ghz all core i9 9900K + 64 GB 4000+ Mhz RAM + O.C. GTX 2080Ti will not help. You will see below 24 F.P.S. in large battles (80 units) at zooming in. And long end turn times + 12-20 F.P.S. in "mortal empires" at A.I. turns.

The engine is just single-thread bound, outdated and uses old inefficient A.P.I.
  • TWforumUN1989TWforumUN1989 Posts: 207Registered Users
    edited October 9
    -
    Post edited by TWforumUN1989 on
  • theedge634theedge634 Senior Member Posts: 1,768Registered Users
    edited September 27
    If you don't need monitor, you should be able to build a nice pc for under $1000.

I'd suggest an i7 4790K with an Asus z97 motherboard. A Gtx 1080 TI, any tuner is fine. An SSD at least 250gb. And then a disk hard drive of 1tb for extra storage of movies/games etc. Cooler Master or Noctua CPU fans are fine. Mid tower case. Then I'd go with at least 600W power supply. 800W preferable. Of course 16gb ram... I wouldn't worry about r speed. It won't be a limiting factor.

You should be able to get that for under 1000. I don't think you'll even have to hunt that hard.
  • tomdoof206tomdoof206 Junior Member Posts: 139Registered Users
    A 1050 ti 4g is a good choice, keep in mind you want to invest in your processor/ mother board and a good SSD graphics cards and ram can always be upgraded later. Try to get a processor with good single thread performance as that will give you the best fps in larger battles. I would stick with Intel processors as they are pretty solid and will outlast everything else in your pc but that just my personal preference. The game is great it will be well worth it when you get it all up and running especially if you are already a warhammer table top fan.
  • BiesliekBiesliek Junior Member Posts: 43Registered Users
    If you do not have any knowledge of how to set up your own pc, you should just get a prebuild one. Its a bit more expensive, but definetely worth it since its a lot less hassle.

I recommend making contact with Alternate.de for a budget build. There are some decent prebuilds like these:

https://www.alternate.de/HP/Pavilion-Gaming-Desktop-TG01-0020ng-Komplett-PC/html/product/1576502?

Comes with a powerful I-7 that outclasses the I-9 in certain titles and performs very close to it. Probably your best bet for a cpu intensive game like TW. The 1660 TI should outperform a 1060 which allowed me to play this game with most settings on ultra on 1080 P, so no problem there. And it seems to have 16 gig ram and a 1gb M2 SSD which would be perfect for quick loading of games.

This is also a decent option IMO:

https://www.alternate.de/OMEN-by-HP/Obelisk-Desktop-875-0246ng-Komplett-PC/html/product/1576839?

Comes with the 2060 super which only released about a month ago, which is more powerful than the 1660 TI. Not the most fantastic CPU mind you, the I-7 should blow it out of the park. Comes with a 500 gb m2 SSD and 8 GIG ram so you are sort of losing on some hardware for a better GPU.

For gaming in general its usually always the GPU which is the most important factor. However I would go with the first pc since installing a new GPU isn't very difficult and you can upgrade when you have the cash.
  • BugmansxxxBugmansxxx Posts: 237Registered Users
    edited September 27
    There is a website called "Logical Increments" that has a continiously updated list of part options for builds of different price ranges on their front page.

I just bought a new computer last week and used it as a basis for my decision. It really was a great help.

For TW warhammer you need a decent GPU for battles and a CPU with high GHz core speed for campaining. SSD helps with load times.

CA does try to optimize their code but in the end it is a turn based game where only a limited nuber of things can happen simutaneosly so high nuber of cores has limited use. It is the same thing for all turn based games such as CIV and XCOM series.

Imo. There is little sense in trying to "future proof" your rig. Buy what you need now, Its not going to go obsolete overnight.
  • FlufferNutterGBFlufferNutterGB Posts: 8Registered Users
    Some of the best parts you can fit into a $1000 build, will easily run most games maxed at 1440p, including TW: Warhammer. You'll also be able to handle any day to day tasks and be fairly future proof. You can save some money by dropping your CPU down a tier, and by grabbing a 1660ti instead.

If you just want to run TW: Warhammer you can grab an Intel CPU with less cores but a higher clock speed, you'll need to switch out the motherboard to do that though. I also recommend checking out https://pcpartpicker.com/

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor: $194.79

MSI B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard: $94.99

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory: $77.89

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive: $42.89

Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive: $79.99

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING OC PRO Video Card: $369.99

Phanteks ECLIPSE P350X ATX Mid Tower Case: $69.99

Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply: 72.99

Total: $1003.52 USD/ €916.78
  • TWforumUN1989TWforumUN1989 Posts: 207Registered Users
    edited October 9
    -
    Post edited by TWforumUN1989 on
    t63uhjh said:

Some of the best parts you can fit into a $1000 build, will easily run most games maxed at 1440p, including TW: Warhammer. You'll also be able to handle any day to day tasks and be fairly future proof. You can save some money by dropping your CPU down a tier, and by grabbing a 1660ti instead.

If you just want to run TW: Warhammer you can grab an Intel CPU with less cores but a higher clock speed, you'll need to switch out the motherboard to do that though. I also recommend checking out https://pcpartpicker.com/

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor: $194.79

MSI B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard: $94.99

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory: $77.89

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive: $42.89

Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive: $79.99

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING OC PRO Video Card: $369.99

Phanteks ECLIPSE P350X ATX Mid Tower Case: $69.99

Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply: 72.99

Total: $1003.52 USD/ €916.78

I highly recommend only buying Gold (and higher) certified power supplies.
    Meh.. I've went with silver for a long time now. Never a single problem.
    edited September 27
    t63uhjh said:

I highly recommend only buying Gold (and higher) certified power supplies.

The 80+ means that a power supply is at least 80% efficient. After that the bronze, silver... Mean that they are more efficient at higher loads but as long as it is has enough power to feed your computer 80+ rating is enough.

Usually the higher the "medal" the better quality components it has and some have better warranty.
    If you live in a place where you have reasonably good quality power to your house, i.e. even voltage and frequency, then it should not be an issue.
  • psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,327Registered Users
    Quality power supplies are quality power supplies, but there's no equal to the 12 year warranty Seasonic Prime Titanium line. :)

They do cost more than they save in energy though. Although when you're running A/C you've also got the extra heat to dissipate.

The primary factor in power supply cost, is reliability. You can run a computer six years, and keep a Prime for your next computer without concern for failure. Failures can destroy systems, so they're potentially expensive far beyond replacing a power supply. The actual cost savings in energy, over that decade, will probably come out to less than a hundred bucks over a bronze. :)

If he's only spending a grand, he probably doesn't want to spend 25% of his budget on one regardless.
    psychoak said:

Quality power supplies are quality power supplies, but there's no equal to the 12 year warranty Seasonic Prime Titanium line. :)

They do cost more than they save in energy though. Although when you're running A/C you've also got the extra heat to dissipate.

The primary factor in power supply cost, is reliability. You can run a computer six years, and keep a Prime for your next computer without concern for failure. Failures can destroy systems, so they're potentially expensive far beyond replacing a power supply. The actual cost savings in energy, over that decade, will probably come out to less than a hundred bucks over a bronze. :)

If he's only spending a grand, he probably doesn't want to spend 25% of his budget on one regardless.

Ofc. He should make sure it has the necessary protections.
    But then there is only something like 15€ difference between 650W bronze and gold so its really not a big deal. Might as well go for gold if it him gives peace of mind.
  • Greasus_GoldtoothGreasus_Goldtooth Posts: 112Registered Users
    That CPU is ancient, the whole build you set up is as far from high end as it gets.... Get a budget ryzen 3600 or somthing instead. GFX card is good, but the 1660ti is a major upgrade and not that expensive. (this is still a "budget build".) If you want a real high end pc your looking at 1500-2000, but thats not needed for a good 1080p tw experience.

That CPU is ancient, the whole build you set up is as far from high end as it gets.... Get a budget ryzen 3600 or somthing instead. GFX card is good, but the 1660ti is a major upgrade and not that expensive. (this is still a "budget build".) If you want a real high end pc your looking at 1500-2000, but thats not needed for a good 1080p tw experience.

If you just buy stuff and assemble yourself. You can get really high end for around $1000. Assuming he already has a monitor of course. If you're in the states, get your stuff on black friday. Like 4-5 years ago, I got an i74790k and Asus z97 motherboard together for $260.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,633Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Moved to Tech.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • FlufferNutterGBFlufferNutterGB Posts: 8Registered Users
    If your PC is on 24/7 it might add $50 a month to your electric bill. The difference in PSU efficiency between bronze and gold is about 7% most of the time. So for spending an extra $25-$50 you would save about $3 on your monthly electric bill. I didn't bother with a gold certified PSU because most people don't look that far into it. They instead wonder why they're spending an extra $50 on a PSU that says "Gold Certified" when the bronze one is exactly the same spec.

For sure the build can be optimized, but OP said they know nothing about the building a PC...and those who offer advice tend to contradict one another and confuse the topic even more.
  • Bogdanov89Bogdanov89 Posts: 590Registered Users
    edited September 28
    With only 1000$ for the whole PC you should stick to 1920*1080 monitor resolution and 60mhz (or 75mhz if same price) refresh rate monitor - the size of the monitor does not really matter, you can go up to 24" (or perhaps even 27") screen dimensions and still look great with 1080 resolution.

Get Nvidia GTX 2060 or 2070 if you find it on a discount (minimum 6 gigabytes of GPU memory).
    Use HDMI or Displayport or DVI cable for your monitor if possible (not VGA).

Get 16 GB of DDR4 ram - just get a kingston average speed or some other reputable brand that is average speed ("gaming ram" is nonsense, ram speed has almost no impact on games).

Get an intel i5 or i7 latest generation CPU (check out which are the latest and see are there any discounts on i7 in EUnion).
    CPUs are expensive but games like TWW2 are CPU intensive and when big battles occur with thousands of units the CPU will need to be a minimum latest intel i5.

Get an SSD (solid state drive) Samsung 250GB or 500GB (860 EVO is great model, but do NOT get the cheaper QVO) if you can afford it (you put windows and TWW2 on the ssd).
    Most games do not need SSD but TWW2 is one of those that desperately needs it.

You need to make sure that your motherboard is compatible with EVERYTHING (ram type and speed, cpu socket, gpu pci connections, SSD connections, anything else you might need).

You will obviously need at least a decent air cooler for your CPU - the default stock cooler that sometimes comes with cpu is usually nowhere near enough to cool down a CPU during modern gaming.

Do not waste much $ on a PC case, just find a decent average/cheaper one that has fans on the front, back, top and if possible bottom and side (imho 20cm fans are both quietest and best for airflow) .

Get a good brand power supply like Seasonic (ignore that gold/brozne/whatever, its meaningless for home users) - you will probably need around 600 or 650 watts or so to be comfortably covered, you can get more accurate advice on this from websites and shops.

CHECK MULTIPLE REVIEWS FOR EVERY MODEL OF THE PRODUCT YOU WANT TO BUY BEFORE PAYING $$$

*I personally have verrrryy bad experience with AMD/ATI, especially when it comes to their gpu drivers, and hence i would never recommend an AMD/ATI product despite them having some hardware-wise really good ones lately.
    Check out the Community Bug Fix Mod on the Steam Workshop.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,278Registered Users
    psychoak said:

I been using cheap FSP ii Saga 500w psu since 2011, the year I build my old i3 pc for Shogun 2 (the only cpu I can afford at that time 😁).

Still using the psu until today even when I upgraded to i5 and now Ryzen 2600 with RX590 now.

But I think I will need to replace it. Afraid to OC the cpu and gpu just in case the power draw is not enough.