Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Fix Ports

Moisan4Moisan4 Posts: 5Registered Users
edited December 2019 in Balancing Discussions
Ports, especially in small settlements sucks. You can't deconstruct them, they take up a construction spot, and they usually suck for every faction. And it's getting worse not better with new factions. The Huntsmarshal's port is a joke. 15K (total, upgrade tier 3 then 5) for 100 (total) income and tier 5 adds growth, because growth is really important after tier 5. What a joke.
Post edited by Moisan4 on

Comments

• ystyst Posts: 6,502Registered Users
    edited September 2019
    Im very dissapointed by the destruction of ports into an utterly useless building. Dunno what prompt CA to ruin ports this badly. Strange why they rekt something thats working just fine, cities like marienbug the port of the old world, got tirned into some garbage city thats not attractive anymore
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
  • Deep_echo_soundDeep_echo_sound Posts: 447Registered Users
    This is all because some cries of 1.5 users on this forum, that want campaigns to be super hard survival horror trip with no money.

And, when users stated that they play on normal just for adventures, to make mythical, fantasy role-play, these 1.5 maniacs cries that game should punish them. And there are no fun if you are not dying every single game.
    Because, most player base are not pro-masters. They are average players with average desire of competition.
    Not a constant struggling simulator for their own money!

Watch some youtubers that play on legendary difficulty. Many "total war" players send them save files were they broken, they lost.
    Millions of average, fun fair competition desiring players are the money making target audience.
    They pay for this franchise. They support it. Not 1.5 forum maniacs, that constantly hostile towards other normal players.
  • turrehundturrehund Posts: 213Registered Users
    There is a beta that fixes the port nerf, no?

But in my opinion this is all a part of the devs attempt to make legendary challenging without addressing the elephant in the room: The AI. I've had plenty of legendary campaigns where I could've had my ass handed to me or at least suffered heavy setbacks if it weren't for the campaign AI having the strategic ability of a senile badger.

The same goes for the battle AI, "Very hard" difficulity means that your elite troops will struggle against basic troops and heavy cav can't even rout goblins and generally results in the only viable tactic being defensive units + ranged box cheese.

All the flat nerfs to income and melee ability just results in severely limiting tactical and strategic options. It's not fun.

CA, just fix the damn AI already. I know it will be incredibly demanding and require a lot of effort (contrary to popular belief, the most powerful computers in the world are NOT smarter than humans) but way too much potential enjoyment is being held hostage by it (sieges being most notable).
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 22,037Registered Users
    turrehund said:

But in my opinion this is all a part of the devs attempt to make legendary challenging without addressing the elephant in the room: The AI. I've had plenty of legendary campaigns where I could've had my ass handed to me or at least suffered heavy setbacks if it weren't for the campaign AI having the strategic ability of a senile badger.

The same goes for the battle AI, "Very hard" difficulity means that your elite troops will struggle against basic troops and heavy cav can't even rout goblins and generally results in the only viable tactic being defensive units + ranged box cheese.

All the flat nerfs to income and melee ability just results in severely limiting tactical and strategic options. It's not fun.

CA, just fix the damn AI already. I know it will be incredibly demanding and require a lot of effort (contrary to popular belief, the most powerful computers in the world are NOT smarter than humans) but way too much potential enjoyment is being held hostage by it (sieges being most notable).

No, the problem is that the snowballing threshold on all difficulties is at the same point and that's very early on to boot thanks to the game mechanics being dumbed down to toddler level. Saying "fix the AI" is just an attempt to sidestep the issue.

• turrehundturrehund Posts: 213Registered Users

turrehund said:

No, the problem is that the snowballing threshold on all difficulties is at the same point and that's very early on to boot thanks to the game mechanics being dumbed down to toddler level. Saying "fix the AI" is just an attempt to sidestep the issue.
    How would you solve the snowballing issue? The port nerf was one attempt, but it only resulted in the early game being even more of a long and boring grind. Exp gain for enemy armies feels pretty good and impactful.

Moreso, the snowballing effect is a problem that's hard to solve, but when was the last time you actually felt threatened by the AI being at the same military power level as you? I recently played a campaign where a Dwarf+Empire+Bretonnia+Border Princes military alliance declared war on me and probably had a combined 40 times more military power than me, but it didn't matter as they weren't able to capitalize on it.
  • Deep_echo_soundDeep_echo_sound Posts: 447Registered Users
    Some people just ignore the fact that superpowers just can not be threatened. This is just how reality works.
    The only solution for real challenge after the point of owning 16 full provinces is "Shogun 2". When all start to absolutely hate you, and declare war on you.
    A.I. is really problematic only if he has like 5 times more armies and attacks from all directions.
    1 vs 1 or, even. 2 vs 1 stacks, the A.I. factions have no chance.
    This game can not be lost from the beginning when you are good enough.
    C.A. need to improve campaign A.I. massively, to represent some middle game challenge. As I said. They are almost never make good ambushes. They are rarely attack with 2 or more stacks in one place, to destroy your city with only garrison. A.I. do not create army groups that swarm attack you. They do not concentrate forces, they spread them too much. And 10 stacks that killed 1 by 1 is weaker than 3 stacks that are fighting together.

It is not hard to fix this. It is can be easily coded.

What's more interesting, is intrigues. Like you have some non-aggression pact with one faction.
    And some other faction knows that you are on war with the third one, and your forces are not near them. So, they declare war on you, and bribe other faction, that you had this non-aggression pact with, to simultaneously attack your undefended cities from 2 sides. This is how real politics and war make real challenge.

Right now, A.I. is a very bad and dumb politician. It is bad in planning to kill you when you are occupied somewhere.
    They are too passive. They do not scheming.

And, right now, A.I. is very bad and dump strategist. Not ambushing and not striking with all forces in 1 place for sure wins. Spreading too much. No timing attacks.
    Interesting that in real time games like "starcraft" and many other, A.I. knows what is "rush" when you are weak, or what is big attack with all forces at weak points, when he is strong.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,518Registered Users
    yst said:

Im very dissapointed by the destruction of ports into an utterly useless building. Dunno what prompt CA to ruin ports this badly. Strange why they rekt something thats working just fine, cities like marienbug the port of the old world, got tirned into some garbage city thats not attractive anymore

This. No idea why they changed ports, no one complained about it. The only complaints I've seen was about the High Elves getting too much out of them and the port itself being a permanent slot in the settlement.

None of those warranted this nerf. Why change something that is working and adding worth to specific settlements?
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 8,072Registered Users
    This has allready been changed back and i think the beta went live.
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.